Reddit Feeds

Sign up and stay connected to your favorite communities.

AMA

Rob Reiner here signing in for my first AMA. Here we go…

Hello Reddit, what brings me here today is my movie "LBJ" starring Woody Harrelson, Jennifer Jason Leigh, and Richard Jenkins. It's an independent film and a labor of love that I'm extremely proud of. And have I mentioned Woody is off the charts brilliant?

LBJ is currently playing in theaters around the country and you can watch the trailer here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zBX-SYq3v3c

I've also recently taken part in a committee to investigate Russia to highlight what is known about the Russian threat to interfere with American elections and other institutions. You can read more about it here: https://investigaterussia.org/

Proof: https://i.redd.it/xqbsqsc9uswz.jpg

Last but not least, You can find me here on Twitter... www.twitter.com/robreiner

So without further ado, please ask me ANYTHING!

Edit: That's all the time I have for now, Reddit. This was a lot more fun than I ever could've imagined... it was truly great to meet you.

PS: Support indie film and go see LBJ this week! Woody will blow your mind.

Hello Mr. Reiner,

My dad is notoriously cheap and he took my mom to the 4pm showing of the Princess Bride. He loved it so much that when it was over he came home to pick me up and paid full price tickets to see the same movie twice in one day. It is one of those stories that showed me my father’s true love to show me a movie about true love. Thank you!

Was the movie hard to cast or did you know who you wanted for each part?

Original Poster283 points·5 months ago

The movie was very difficult to cast... I wound up with only one choice for Westley, one choice for Buttercup and one choice for Fezzik, and I don't believe if I hadn't found Cary Elwes, Robin Wright, Andre the Giant, the film would've been made.

To be fair, how could you miss Andre the Giant?

Princess Bride took a long time to get made. Writer William Goldman shopped it around all over before Reiner got ahold of the book and spearheaded the project. Goldman always had Andre in mind for Fezzik, but said that if he couldn't have him his next choice was Schwarzenegger.

Can you imagine...

Although his star power may have been too strong for the role, he would have been great. Andre talked funny and performed feats of strength, and Mr Universe could fill that role. Of course, they’d have to rewrite him being a literal giant.

2 more replies

1 more reply

Hi Rob, my kid brother died two years ago. Growing up Stand by Me was our favourite movie (still is mine). My other brother and I are going to travel from the UK to Brownsville next year to spread some of the ashes. This movie has been such a profound part of my life (I was even watching it for about the 200th time as my wife went into labour). I have no question. Just a thank you for giving us this art.

Original Poster474 points·5 months ago

Just hearing what you had to say makes me cry. The film also means a lot to me. It's my favorite film of all the films I've made. And I'm so glad that you have these feelings about it as well.

Just want to echo the sentiment here, as much as I loved IT, I still couldn't help think that it was still nowhere as good as Stand By Me, a true masterpiece that I hope is never rebooted. I would love to see you jump back into the Stephen King IP pool though.

u/wil don't you dare say yes to a reboot

Please do whatever is in your power to have Stand by me NOT remade. It is a perfect film that doesn't need to be revisted. IMO it falls into the same category as classic films such as The Godfather or Gone with the Wind. It had such a profound impact on my childhood that I couldn't even out into words. Thank you.

11 points·5 months ago·edited 5 months ago

I don't have much to say except as a kid I didn't have many friends but Stand By Me really made me feel less lonely. I watched it 8 times in one week once. Thanks.

Not North?

1 more reply

I visited Brownsville back in the year 2000 (I was 20). Stand By Me was also my favorite movie growing up, and I must've watched it a hundred times as a kid.

I just want to say, if you're anything like me, the first thing you'll notice when driving into Brownsville is that you'll be driving across a certain bridge that you'll recognize as the one the kids walk across as they're walking into town toward the end of the film. You'll notice it right away. Then you'll notice the intersection where Teddy departs, then you'll recognize something else from the movie, then something else, and so on, and before you even know it you can't even breathe because it'll hit you that you are in Castle Rock, you are in your own childhood. The locals might look at you a bit funny but it's worth taking the extra time to wander a bit (and I doubt the town has changed much since I went).

Also, I too lost my younger brother, almost exactly 11 years ago. It never does feel real, but memories definitely help. Cheers from the American Midwest.

2 more replies

What's your opinion on Corey Feldman's crusade to end sexual abuse in Hollywood?

No one is going to touch this unfortunately.

Unlike whoever touched both Coreys.

2 more replies

what did you make of the south park episode satirizing your disdain for cigarettes?

Original Poster555 points·5 months ago

I thought it was funny, but I'm not quite that fat.

I'm glad someone asked this, as I'd once heard your former sit-com wife, Sally Struthers, was absolutely mortified by her own portrayal on that show (which I was told she loved before that episode).

Class act!

60 points·5 months ago

I feel like it's almost an obligation for celebrities to react positively to a parody on South Park, cause they look like an absolute tool otherwise

My favorite reaction to Matt & Trey's antics will always be George Clooney reacting to being made fun of in Team America: "I would've been offended if they didn't include me."

George was also the voice of Stan's gay dog in SP.

He also does the cat noises

TIL

And the doctor who replaces Kenny's heart with a baked potato in the movie.

And iirc he also played the doctor who accidentally replaced Kenny's heart with a baked potato in the movie.

tell that to Tom Cruise and Barbra Streisand. Bar-Bura Bar-Bura

16 points·5 months ago

Haha that's exactly what I'm referring to

17 points·5 months ago

But are you actually filled with goo?

Wait, you're not?

GOD DAMN IT THERE WILL BE NO MORE SMOKING

Paddington 2 for Best Picture122 points·5 months ago

Hey Rob! What's your favorite Spinal Tap song?

Original Poster192 points·5 months ago

Well I know a lot of people are partial to "Big Bottom" but my personal favorite is "Hell hole".

At least you know where you stand in a hell hole.

6 points·5 months ago

That's gotta be the funniest fucking thing. Idk what it is about it, but that line has stuck right with me all through these years.

Also partial to folks lend a hand in a HELL HOOOLE

The tax man's coming

The butler quit

This ain't no place to be a man

I'm partial to "where the dew drops cry/and the cats.....meow....."

Stonehenge

My favorite line.

Will there ever be a full release of "Lick My Love Pump?"

Paddington 2 for Best Picture18 points·5 months ago

Big Bottoms definitely has the lyrical prowess but Hell Hole is really a great song about wanting to change your situation. I've always been a fan of Tonight I'm Gonna Rock You Tonight. Thanks for your insight Rob you're the man!

Rob thank you for making one of my most favorute movies of all time, Stand By Me. You have been around Hollywood most of your lifetime. Would you care to comment on the recent spate of sexual misconduct allegations that seem to be sweeping across the news?

Original Poster349 points·5 months ago

I think it's very disturbing but it's not surprising and it's not just Hollywood, it's throughout every industry in our country and the only positive thing to come out of all this is that we're talking about it now... and we as men have to be part of the solution in eliminating sexual harassment. Women are placed at a disadvantage and it is with only the help of men that this kind of disgusting behavior can come to an end.

and Britain too--One politician there just committed suicide after being accused--The term Sex Pests is now being used in a lot of recent stories over there

That term always make me laugh. In America a "pest" is a mild annoyance but nothing to worry about.

It's the same here (in the UK). 'Sex pest' is used more to describe maybe a young lad who's always out on the pull. Not so much a serious term. I hadnt noticed that the media had latched onto it, but it's more indicative of our dry humour, than a difference in meaning.

Comment deleted5 months ago(3 children)

Rampant? I think you mean Rampart. Let's get back to the discussion here people

7 more replies

3 more replies

Congrats on releasing LBJ! I saw it over the weekend, it was fantastic.

Do you think Woody is going to get a nomination for either an Oscar or Golden Globe?

Original Poster104 points·5 months ago

He certainly deserves it... he's had an incredible career and I believe this is possibly the best performance he's ever given.

Wait, what about Rampart?

This is an in joke, Mr. Reiner, about Woody's AMA.

4 points·4 months ago

please, he is not going to read your comment, nor does he give a shit lol

2 more replies

It's weird how they didn't have HIM do the AMA!

Following both you and your father on Twitter, and I often wonder if you two will collaborate on a project together. I feel like there is a great political satire just waiting to happen.

Original Poster110 points·5 months ago

You never know... we've done things in the past together, my father is in great health but he is 95 and a half years old so you do the math.

Ages of people who are referred to in half years: <10, >90. Somehow that makes sense.

So what you're saying is..."Soon."

Take it to the bank boys!

"Reinemacherfrau means...Cleaning-Woman...!!"

2 more replies

Hey Rob! What was it like to work with Marty on The Wolf of Wall Street, and did you get to see Jonah's dick when making the film?

Original Poster415 points·5 months ago

I loved working with Marty, he is truly one of the great filmmakers of our day, and unfortunately I didn't get to see Jonah Hill's dick or anyone naked for that matter. It was one of the great disappointments of my participation in that film.

4 more replies

Thanks for doing an AMA, and thanks for some of the most memorable movies.

What are you watching now? What are some of your favorite movies, or TV shows?

Original Poster80 points·5 months ago

Let's see... I watch a lot of television. I love The Americans, Transparent.... I recently watched The Danish version of the Bridge, I like The Sinner, and of course I love classics like Breaking Bad, and my favorite of all time was The Wire. I also love docs Making a Murderer, Jinx, the Keepers, and as Chauncey Gardner in Being There, once said, I like television.

The Wire is outstanding, glad to hear you liked it, I don't trust people who don't like The Wire

As Omar says, "Oh, indeed."

1 more reply

Why not just make 10 the top number and make it a little louder?

2 more replies

Thanks for doing this Rob!

Who is someone you always wanted to work with, but never/haven't yet gotten the chance to?

Original Poster126 points·5 months ago

I've always been a big admirer of Cate Blanchett, I think she's an extraordinary actress and I'd love to get a chance to do something with her.

Cate Blanchett is awesome. I just saw her in the recent Thor movie, and she killed it even in the blockbuster supervillain role. Thanks for answering!

4 more replies

She looks so hot in that Thor movie.

Imjussayin

1 more reply

I think we'd all like to get a chance to do something with her...

25 points·5 months ago·edited 5 months ago

Hello Rob! Big fan of your work and happy to see you join Reddit with us today.

I hope this question comes across as more nuance and not trollish but here we go:

Movie Critics have been nothing new and neither is Rotten Tomatoes. But lately, film criticism and that website in particular has been getting a lot of flack from Directors, Writers, and even Actors. Where do you stand on this? If you don't mind me saying some of your films have been met with negative reviews in your time. How do you handle negative criticism or an atmosphere where a consensus is not favorable to one of your films?

Original Poster74 points·5 months ago

I learned a long time ago that as filmmaker, you have to take both good reviews and bad reviews with a grain of salt. Ultimately it's only person's opinion. What I try to focus on is making the film I wanted to make and if I feel I've succeeded, that's the reward. Then it's up to others to decide whether they like it or not. The one thing as a filmmaker or an artist in any field is to not give too much power to those who would criticize you. There's a great quote by Rudyard Kipling: "If you can meet with Triumph and Disaster and treat those two impostors just the same".

That is some really great advice and nuance into film criticism as a whole.

Thank you!

1 more reply

What does the cast of New Girl smell like?

Original Poster153 points·5 months ago

Each one of them has their own individual scent.

Damn, nothing else today will compare to this moment 😁

"Famed Hollywood director Rob Reiner accused of olfactory assault..."

Did you just call him smelly?

How's your dad doing? I've always loved his friendship with Mel Brooks

On average, how many times a week does someone call you Meathead?

I was wondering this too. I mean, Meathead is such a well known and beloved character, and Rob has done awesome and iconic stuff behind the camera, that it almost is like the Rob Reiner the Actor, and Rob Reiner the Director are two different people. Most people don't get to do that much awesome.

Hey Rob, welcome to Reddit! What is the FUNNIEST story you have from All in the Family? One that really makes you smile.

Original Poster71 points·5 months ago

Let's see about that... It always makes me smile when people come up to tell me that one of their favorite scenes is when Archie and i discussed how to put your socks and shoes on.

Oh damn, I forgot you were "Meathead" in that show.

Lol! I forgot! The whole world puts on a sock and a sock and a shoe and a shoe! Thanks!

2 more replies

I'm really looking forward to LBJ. Its a great ensemble and I grew up on your work; Spinal Tap, Princess Bride, and When Harry Met Sally are some of my goto flicks on a bad day.

I loved reading about the collaborative process you and Nora Ephron had while developing When Harry Met Sally. Could you see yourself employing a similar collaborative process on an upcoming project?

Original Poster36 points·5 months ago

I collaborate with the writers on every project I've done. The movie making experience is by nature a collaborative process.

Hi Rob. What’s your advice for aspiring filmmakers? Thanks!

Original Poster84 points·5 months ago

Fortunately for you you have everything you need to make a film armed with just a smartphone and a computer you can shoot and edit your film... so my advice is to come up with a good story, write your script, and just go out and make your film.

Steven Spielberg Enthusiast7 points·5 months ago

As another aspiring filmmaker (actually about to watch Written on the Wind for my film college course), thank you for the positivity and encouragement!

Rob, you have an incredibly diverse filmography— directing everything from storybook-esque kids movies, to tense horror thrillers, to outrageous mock-rock-docs.

What personal touches would you say you weave into all of your directorial work that makes each movie definitively “yours”?

Original Poster34 points·5 months ago

I always point my camera at the actors. But thank you so much for your kind words.

I feel like you could give Scorcese a few pointers.

Steven Spielberg Enthusiast26 points·5 months ago

What do you think of IT and Stranger Things and their strong young cast seeing as you created probably the best film about a young group of friends ever?

Oh also my dad is a huge fan, his favorite movie is A Few Good Men and he quotes it all the time!

Looking forward to seeing LBJ. How have you ensured to make it different from the existing LBJ biopics? Thanks!

Original Poster36 points·5 months ago

We tried to focus on who LBJ was as a man and to explore the complexity of his character. His was truly a tale of two Presidencies, the tragedy of Vietnam war and the incredible legislative success domestically, but I wanted to try to understand who the man was underneath it all.

Howdy Rob, what was your favorite film to be a part of and why was it Throwing Momma From a Train? Devito is the man

Original Poster78 points·5 months ago

Well obviously you have excellent taste and one of the great things that came out of doing that film was I got to meet Barry Sonnenfeld who was the director of photography and he ultimately shot When Harry Met Sally, Misery, and introduced me to my wife of 28 years, Michelle.

Anne Ramsey's character is my favorite part of that movie by far, she cracks me up so hard.

OWEEEENNNN!!!!

Comment deleted5 months ago(1 child)

1 more reply

Hey Rob! Thank for doing this. Did you film on location at Guantanamo Bay for a Few Good Men? What was that experience like?

Original Poster30 points·5 months ago

I didn't get to film there, but I did get to visit Guantanamo Bay for research. It was an amazing experience to actually see what we described in the film as two opposing enemy guard towers literally 100 yards away from each other.

Did you get to eat breakfast a hundred yards away from a thousand Cubans trained to kill you?

Hi Mr. Reiner. What are your thoughts on the idea of LBJ being involved in JFK assassination?

Original Poster60 points·5 months ago

I don't believe he had anything to do with the assassination but I do believe he played a role in covering up the reasons for the assassination, and he might have had a very good reason for that... because if it came out as a conspiracy that Russia might've been behind, which I don't believe they were, he was concerned it would trigger a nuclear war.

This answer needs more upvotes.

But if Russia wasn’t t behind it, then he didn’t need to cover up. So maybe he was involved?

Yupp, Bush Sr too (head of the CIA at the time)

1 more reply

Hello Mr. Meathead sir. Wondering itf there's any chance for a new take on "All in the Family" - especially given today's climate?

By the way, thank you for the greatest movie ever made - Princess Bride, naturally.

What is Tiramisu?

Original Poster10 points·5 months ago

You'll find out.

Edit: But before you do go see LBJ!

What the hell happened with North?!

I saw North as kid and liked it. It's for kids, isn't it? IDK I haven't seen it since.

2 more replies

Hi Mr. Reiner,

I've always been curious, after your mother's famous line from When Harry Met Sally became so popular, was she ever able to eat in public again without someone somewhere asking to have what she's having?

Did you ever find your precious goo?

Mr. Reiner, thanks for doing this.

How did you approach the portrayal of LBJ alongside Harrelson? Did you both studied archive footage? Did you do rehearsals? That kind of thing.

Original Poster18 points·5 months ago

There was a lot of research done by both Woody Harrelson and myself. We read the Robert Caro books... we read the biography by Doris Kearns Goodwin ... we studied archival footage as well as listening to the many existing recordings of Lyndon Johnson.

I remember from working in a bookstore for years, the Robert Caro books are considered masterpieces in biographical writing, dead stop. I think I read half of "Master of the Senate" back in the day.

1 more reply

Hey Rob, in light of Stranger Things 2, I’m wondering what your thoughts are on the series if you have seen it. It’s very obvious that the show, in both seasons, pulls themes and shots from your films (and Steven’s stories).

What was it like working with Andre the giant? The princess bride is one of my all time favorite movies!

What did you think of your portrayal on South Park?

What did you think of the South Park parody that included you, and do you know those guys?

/r/Movies Veteran5 points·5 months ago

Hey Rob, which filmmaker do you think has influenced your work the most?

Original Poster15 points·5 months ago

That's a good question... I would say, Elia Kazan because his films for the most part are character driven. But I also have great admiration for Stanley Kubrick, Orson Wells, Francois Truffaut.

Careful on the astroturf in here, everybody.

I know this was a 12 days ago, but would you mind explaining this? Neither Rob Reiner or And So It Goes were mentioned anywhere in the article you linked. Google searches for Rob Reiner + Russia came up with nothing as well.

Hello! I met you recently when you were in Indianapolis at the TV station. Thank you for taking the time to take a photo with me. I also wanted to thank you for the happiness you brought my grandfather when he was alive. He LOVED All In The Family. He loved Meathead and your interactions with Archie. I wanted to tell you that, that morning but was so in awe of actually meeting you I just froze up.

Question: at the start of filming All In The Family did you think it was going to as big as it got?

Are you interested in ever doing a Spinal Tap 2? Love the first one and think it’d be perfect if you guys spoofed those rock/metal bands that are always swearing they’ll retire after their next tour.

2 more replies

I love when you guest star on New Girl. Do you have any funny stories from the set?

Hi Rob! You made one of the absolute best Stephen King adaptations of all time with Misery. What with the recent renewed interest in King's work, are there any of his other books/stories you'd like to adapt?

Are you able to separate the art from the artist? When you find out first hand or otherwise they're a terrible person, does it change your view of their work?

Hi Rob, many of the younger people here are probably not too familiar with your role in All in the Family. My question is, since your character was portrayed as a 'liberal', at the time were your beliefs (in real life) similar to him (as a liberal), or was that just basically a characterization?

Hi Mr. Reiner Couple quick questions, 1. For whatever reason, what movie do you wish you could have directed but missed out on? 2. What are some of your favorite movies? 3. As a big South Park fan, I've got to ask, did you enjoy their episode with you in it? (Did you have to give permission for them to use your name/likeness and do you like SP in general)?

What were you smoking when you were making North.

This is a little late, but I just showed my gf "When Harry Met Sally"

She loved it. Thank you for bringing us closer together.

I'm so appreciative of all you're doing to save us from Trump. How do you see this ending?

Original Poster71 points·5 months ago

I believe the American people will not stand for this kind of incompetency and disrespect for the constitution and our democracy. And I have hopes that he will be gone before the next election, and if not, I can't possibly see him serving another term.

Thank you Rob! You are a voice of sanity on twitter amid all the craziness. Please keep speaking out, if yesterday's elections are any indication, you and others who speak out are helping!

1 more reply

TIL standing up for the 2nd Amendment= disrespect for the constitution.

23 more replies

What food do you hate? For instance I hate onions with a passion.

2 more replies

2 points·5 months ago(1 child)

Haha I bet 100 bones reine gets caught at it too

What did you think of South Park’s portrayal of you?

1 more reply

How does it feel to know all your Hollywood cronies are going down in flames? Also, when can we expect you to get charged with sexual assault?

Do you currently work with anyone you believe to be a sexual predator?

You're Hollywood royalty, I have to believe you knew what was going on, at least in some cases and I have to wonder, why did you let it go?

I can see wanting to believe the best about people and friends, but surely there were a few you knew who were abusing young men and women -- what are you going to do about them?

Hi Rob - want to address the rumors going around about you?

How many people are gonna accuse you of sexual misconduct?

Sup. Meathead. Why don't you exercise?

Comment deleted5 months ago(2 children)

He has already come out with it. It was some no name actor who was in 2 movies, and not Stand By Me.

1 more reply

Have you ever raped anyone?

Hi Rob, thanks for an amazing body of work. You've made some of the best Stephen King adaptations (it's between you and Frank Darabont, really). Is there any King story you'd still like to get your hands on?

Original Poster11 points·5 months ago

As you may or may not know, at Castle Rock we've produced I believe seven Stephen king films. I believe he is one of our great American writers and I'm always looking for another Stephen King project, particularly the ones that are character based.

it's between you and Frank Darabont, really

Brian De Palma and David Cronenberg too. And Kubrick even with King's dislike of the film

What lessons can we learn from LBJ now that we live in a world where Trump is President?

Original Poster24 points·5 months ago

We could learn how a real President is capable of effecting legislation and how our government is meant to work.

2 points·5 months ago·edited 5 months ago

Hello Comrade Rob!

Given your interest in Russia's interference in elections, the news cycle, and how Russia organized both sides of a recent protest and encouraged the people to battle in the streets have you considered pitching something about governments directing the news cycle to radicalize the populace, PR firms for corporations framing and shaping news to avoid being targeted (Monsanto, Exxon whose PR firms actively manipulate threads here), and extremist groups versus both ie. Papa John's being declared the official pizza of the KKK?

There's a lot of satirical potential there, and also would teach people that each of us are being targeted. Fox coverage of Virginia's election was right out of the East German TV news playbook. Hannity spent six seconds on the election.

You have a big platform that you can use.

Have you got anything nice to say about your president?

Comment deleted5 months ago(1 child)

1 more reply

Hey Meathead, why do you think your sudden turn from making classics movies that stood the test of time & then making North where your career took a massive nosedive & you haven't made a good film since then?

Hi Rob

Can you let Carl know that Fatal Instinct is a much underrated spoof movie?

Thanks!

1 more reply

My 2 favorites of yours are When Harry Met Sally & The Sure Thing. Do you have 1 particular movie which satisfied you the most as a director?

Hey what's your favorite action movie of all time?

1 point·5 months ago

Hi Rob, do you miss your mustache from All in the Family?

What's a behind the scenes story from "A Few Good Men" that you've never told to the general public?

1 point·5 months ago

Do you have unused ideas for films that you still yearn to make, but maybe aren't able to in today's industry climate? Or, are you content with what you've been able to do and enjoy every opportunity that comes along? I remember reading how Charlie Chaplin still wrote down ideas for films until the day he died.

You have done great work, amidst that you’ve had a pretty varied career as a filmmmaker, what has inspired that? Is it a matter of trying to not hit the same note twice?

Hey Rob, I was just wondering if you are planning on directing a Star Wars film?

I could see you doing the remake of The Phantom Menace!

How does it feel to be beloved by every film nerd?

Are there any actors or actresses that you would like to direct or act with?

Hey Rob! I've always wondered what your reaction was to how South Park portrayed you.

Love your movies!

Hey Rob, I recently saw The princess bride for the first time ever in theaters and I loved it. I also love the story you tell before the film that if you couldn't get Andrea the Giant to be a part of that film, there would be no movie. Is there another scenario that if something didn't follow through, there would be no movie?

Hey Rob, thank you for this AMA, as well as bringing us so many classic films. (Princess Bride is one of those films I can't wait to introduce to future kids one day)

Do you have a particular film or director that you are currently obsessed with? And/or also: hypothetically if you could only bring just one film with you on a desert island, what would that film be?

1 point·5 months ago

Hi Rob,

I used to watch All in the Family when I was a kid.

What was your fondest memory from doing the show?

And what was Carroll O'Conner really like?

Mr. Reiner, did you ever conceive that the Princess Bride would be as huge as it is now?

My wife and I watched it on our first date and I'm pretty sure you helped me seal the deal.

Hey Rob

You've jumped around genres quite a lot. Do you actively go looking for a new genre, or is it more just finding a project you're enthusiastic about?

you ever watch 'archie bunkers place'? what did you think of it?

is it true tom cruise told a marine to get a real job while on set a few good men ?

Hey Rob, Thanks for doing the AMA! Any fun or interesting stories you can share with us from the set of The Princess Bride? It's one of my favorite movies of all time! Thanks!

How did your time on All in the Family shape at all or in any way the type of director you would become or at least change your vision of working behind the camera?

Many of your movies are high on my list, but my all time favorite is "The Princess Bride." My question is for my son:

He wants to be a director. He has taken a semester off from the digital film program at the local community college to finish writing a novel, but I'm wondering what advice you would have for his next steps? I know I'm his mother, but I think he is a technically competent editor and a pretty good director. So should he get a BA in film or should he look for a job as a gopher and work his way up?

Do you think you would make any other film based off of Stephen King's books?

No question. Thanks for decades of entertainment!

Interested to hear if you have seen Michael McKean in Better Call Saul and what you think of his performance and Better Call Saul in general.

Did you have any indication while filming This is Spinal Tap that David St. Hubbins would be such an incredible dramatic actor?

Do you keep in touch with Michael McKean and how do you feel about his performance in Better Call Saul?

Can you make sure nobody ever remakes Princess Bride? It's perfect, and it should be in a museum where nobody can hurt it.

133 more replies

Violation of Reddit self-promotion rules
Hatespeech
Ambiguous titles/Clickbait
Spam - Promotion of a website/link over and over
Flame war - Crosses the line of civility
Possible subreddit brigading
TV ad/TV spot masquerading as a "clip"/"trailer"
Extraneous Comic Book Movie submission