Sign up and stay connected to your favorite communities.

Archived

Hello Reddit! I am actor and Artist Val Kilmer AMA

Hi Reddit. It's great to be doing another AMA with you all so let's get caught up and talk movies, Cinema Twain, art, whatever is fun and interesting. I'm your huckleberry, so Ask Me Anything! Proof: https://www.facebook.com/valkilmer/photos/rpp.222948111070238/1733156880049346/?type=3&theater Website: https://valkilmer.gallery/ Thanks to r/movies for hosting me again and to everyone who showed up to hang out awhile and for always making me feel so welcome in this community. I look forward to seeing everyone again soon, either here, at a show, or wherever fate leads us. - VK

How tired are you of people calling you Madmartigan because Willow is seriously one of the only movies I purposefully own, Madmartigan

Original Poster809 points · 6 months ago

never. I am grateful... Fell in love with Sorshia for real and married her and had 2 amazing children I live for now...

No way! Never knew that! I own Willow, also. Love it. haha

1 more reply

You love Sorsha? But she kicked you in the face!

I love you Sorsha, I worship you Sorsha! YOU ALMOST GOT US KILLED!!!

Well, he dwelled in darkness without her, but then it went away.

2 more replies

You could tell there was some intense chemistry between the medieval warrior and the fiery redhead. It makes total sense that there was something behind the scenes. You could especially tell during the cave scene. Then, after Olly shot her with an arrow and she died in your arms, I almost cried.

14 more replies

Omg I forgot about that movie! Totally going to watch it tonight.

Time to watch WILLOW again.

Do you ever have that dream where you see yourself standing in sort of sun-god robes on a pyramid with a thousand naked women screaming and throwing little pickles at you?

Original Poster269 points · 6 months ago

constantly

Why is he the only one that has that dream?

Your mother puts license plates in your underwear?? How do you sit?

You'll rue the day.

3 more replies

1 more reply

Hi Val, good to see you here. Every AMA you seem to have a cool story for us, can you give us another one? Please?

Original Poster952 points · 6 months ago

Ok. When we were preparing for HEAT, Michael Mann, arranged with a small bank in the valley, still hard too imagine, but me Bob and Tom Sizemore were in our hero (best) costumes for the big bank robbery scene, and went into this bank cased it. but th difference was, we had bullet proof vests on, and hidden guns. like a real ar-15. They collapse, thats why its an ar-15 but its still big dude, and I had a 38 holstered on my leg, had i not down month of wearing when i did THUNDERHEAT would have really really irritated me. And the whole thing with a crew is you have sachs others back see. you make sure your partners shoes are tied and his strap for his rifle is even and smooth, and the velcro holding in his extra mags is firm and tight and correct, cause if it falls out on the floor in front of the 68 year old security guard he's gong to hv a heart attack and die and that will

Val Kilmer just gave birth to the copypasta.

....wut?

Didn’t you know this was a drunk AMA?

Nonsense. It's just music-induced euphoria!

“Skeet Surfin’” can have that effect on people

4 more replies

Sounds like they didn't tell any of the customers in the bank that they'll shoot a robbery scene now? No idea where that story's going.

1 more reply

Comment deleted6 months ago(2 children)

The fuck

2 more replies

I did not understand this, but want to.

What the fuck lol I love you Val Kilmer

THUNDERHEART

I had completely forgot about this movie. my family and I really enjoyed it when it came out.

Now that I am thinking about it, There are a lot of similarities between this movie and Wind River with Jeremy Renner and Elizabeth Olsen.

Was one of my dads favorite movies. He always enjoyed Native American focused movies like that, also really loved Apocalypto

23 points · 6 months ago · edited 6 months ago

I guess that's an answer but I have no idea wtf you're talking about. Try answering before blasting rails instead of after.

Now could you answer questions while sober?

11 more replies

5 more replies

Hi Val! My guilty pleasure movie is still Batman Forever, and while it's not remembered as the best movie, a lot of people forget how amazing Michael Gough is as Alfred. Any cool stories about working with Michael that you could share?

Original Poster349 points · 6 months ago

Michael was in my first film TOP SECRET, and he was a classic British work horse and gracious and beautiful. just s gent and i really loved him and miss him all the time. Actors can be such little pieces of perfection and examples on how and WHY EVEN, to love and live in this world. He always had a little smile. he might have been a leprechaun... not a real one I don't believe in rot, but the dream of one, hell yes...

Neither Top Secret nor Real Genius get their due as absolute classics of comedy.

Real Genious is the best. "Why are you wearing that thing on your head?" Val: "Because if I wear it anywhere else it chafes"

File that under "H" for "toy."

1 more reply

Real Genius is one of my all time favorite moveis.

TOP SECRET

AYYYYE!
I fucking love that movie... It's the main reason I decided to stop being a geeky 12 yr old boy and decided to work out, get a crew cut and pick up chics.
Val Kilmer is a handsome handsome man that turned 12 yr old me into a similarly handsome handsome man.
I just want to throw it out there that I have always (since the first time I was introduced to his cinematic performances) been totally enthralled with the way Mr. Kilmer looks, speaks, and just generally lives to the point where it shaped my life.
Thank you Mr. Kilmer, whether you read this or not I just had to throw it out there that you are one of the most well respected actors in the eyes of the public.
Have yourself a wonderful day :)

168 points · 6 months ago · edited 6 months ago

So the other week you posted an 80s dance montage video and i commented it was really cool of you to post it. You responded that you were "glad you could deliver" which then led me to screenshotting and bragging to my wife that THE Val Kilmer had responded to me. She then proceeded to give me a ton of shit about me making a big deal out of it and mocked me by saying "oh you guys must be besties, do you have pet names for him like Kilmsey?" I told her OF COURSE but that you only let your really good friends call you that....so my question for ya Kilmsey ole pal: Can i rub it in her face that i called you that and you were cool with it? Ya know for old time sake? Thanks!

Original Poster224 points · 6 months ago

you bet KEYEZEECOOL

besties

U da man Val. For real. I shall henceforth be known as Keyezeecool to all!

Dude, this was still available three hours after you made this comment. I question your commitment to Kilmsey....

Man....4 years on Reddit and i STILL miss opportunities to over-commit to the bit. Im ashamed. Ive let ALL of you down. I let Val down....

Comment deleted6 months ago(2 children)

Aww Kilmsey you always know just what to say. No matter what happens, youll ALWAYS be my Batman.

1 more reply

hahaha early bird gets the worm.

1 more reply

The Prince of Egypt is my favorite animated movie and I love your performance in it. I was just wondering, since you have a great singing voice, why didn’t you sing in it like Ralph Fiennes and Michelle Pfeiffer did? Thank you so much for doing this AMA!

Pfeiffer was in that, too? Geez, I forgot how stacked the cast was for that one

The cast was incredible. It had Val Kilmer, Ralph Fiennes, Michelle Pfeiffer, Sandra Bullock, Jeff Goldblum, Patrick Stewart, Helen Mirren, Danny Glover, Martin Short, and Steve Martin in it.

Comment deleted6 months ago(5 children)

I hear that Kilmer dude is a big star now.

Not a star. A Legend.

He's THE Saint!

1 more reply

Holy cannoli! That's amazing. Essentially every character in the movie is voiced by an A list actor.

Also, how great is Ralph Fiennes? That man has a crazy good filmography with so much range. This movie, Grand Budapest, Voldemort, In Bruge, Shindler's List, Kubo, Skyfall, etc. It's nutz.

Can't forget Lego Batman, where he did not play Voldemort, but Alfred.

3 more replies

1 more reply

Best sound track to any movie ever.

Great question! What an amazing soundtrack to go with a great movie!

And it's not just the songs that are great (though they are incredible). I think that The Prince of Egypt has the best score that Hans Zimmer ever composed.

Totally agree! If you can listen to that soundtrack without crying, you're a monster. Haha

1 more reply

How the hell did I miss this???

Val was my first celebrity crush... lol

And now I am crushed to have missed this, but he’ll always be my Huckleberry.

Really enjoyed reading his comments and the replies here. You guys are a hoot.

Comment deleted6 months ago(1 child)

I nearly peed my pants...

Oh good sir, I will be all over this for next time!! Time to think up some good questions. You’re a cool dude. Can’t wait to check you out as Twain.
Catch you next time u/OfficialValKilmer

1 more reply

I like to believe that you improvised the teeth-biting thing you did in Top Gun.

Is that true?

Original Poster194 points · 6 months ago

yep

I understood that.

That was one of the best moments in that movie and I always wondered that, thank you for this question and thank you for your answer.

4 more replies

2 more replies

Hey Val! Thanks for doing this AMA. Your performance in Tombstone is one of my all-time favorites. How did you get into that character? The humor of it mixed with how sick the character was, it must have been a difficult mix.

This is a very underrated movie and one of my favorites. Val was great in this and his character is an all time classic. "I'm your Huckleberry."

2 more replies

You’re a daisy if you answer Val!

did you realize when you were filming Heat that it'd be the classic it is now? because i assume, with as many characters are in that movie, you were only present at a small fraction of the shoots

Original Poster171 points · 6 months ago

Well thats a normal assumption but no one was normal on that shoot. Even the still photographer is a world award winning genius who's photos were treasured by all. I love Michael man and its a little impossible not to love Al Pacino and Robert DeNiro. Bod started a production company as soon as the time was right for him as an artist, and he chose a native American contemporary story. i was thrilled about that reading in the press as there are more westerners than any other genre in film, and no minority more misrepresented. So I was excited to see what he would do. Then he asked me to play the lead. That a thrill. And a good solid script. It had challenges, most scripts, do, but we all went right to work and I'm proud of what we produced. Often back then I was s frustration for some people because i was very detail oriented and i guess the way i went about trying to be professional was too much for some people. I just shutter to think i might have displeased someone i respected so much as Bob. What a genius and gracious and tireless worker. And to be so original with his work with Marty. Hes a king, to this day. I could go on about my first job of TRIBECCA for ever but maybe this is enough to start. I want to hit as many subjects as possible today. I just told a story about traveling all over the country dressed as an FBi and with the hair all squared away, and 2 long locked suit cases of weapons which pre 911 still required a locked metal case or hard plastic to tare

I don’t understand what is going on here

I don't even care but I fucking love it. These answers are being interpreted by the finest cryptographers Reddit has to offer.

I don't think Val does either

Fucker is coked up as shit...

This ama will go down in history as the seizure AMA

I was thinking the exact same thing. I'm just picturing val in a gown and some underpants at a large oak desk in some Beverly hills mansion coked off his nut with a fine bottle or two of whisky typing this shit out.

3 more replies

3 more replies

74 points · 6 months ago · edited 6 months ago

Hey, Val, thanks for taking the time to do this! What's been your most challenging role as an actor? How did it affect you at its conclusion?

Original Poster388 points · 6 months ago

I suppose the Doors. Jim was suicidal and when you spend over a year rehearsing inside someones skin who is so deeply unhappy... its tough. also he just picked the wrong toolbox to make his creations. booze is a classic dead end. but the poetry was glorious. the one scene I lobbied for forever or sequence was jim alone all over his favorite spots in LA trying to find th right line to finish. Theres what Tennessee Williams called the "click" when you hit the right amount of booze and everything is all right with the world for a time, maybe the whole rest o the week; and that click every addict lives for. its not the amount, its the peace. and poets too. maybe all of us. when enough ingredients go in our feeble bodies to find peace for a little while. or eternity. Thats the thing wit poetry , when you hit the mark you feel like you're touching eternity, because you have most ECONOMICALLY transferred the thoughts of your mind, and in such a way that may be so delicate so secret, so meaningful, you dare not whisper it even to your own soul, yet you've elected to share it with the planet. its such a strange

Doc Holliday just answered my question. I can now die happily!

Damn that was well said

12 more replies

How did it make you feel being mentioned so many times in the tv show psych?

2 more replies

Is Maverick still dangerous?

Comment deleted6 months ago(2 children)

2 more replies

Hey Val! Ever considered visiting Australia again?

Original Poster127 points · 6 months ago

I looooooooove Australia, the people are honest and take you straight on, very well read, country folk, get cities and country. And everyone accepts how WEIRD everyone else is. I could easily live there. great theater... everything... and anyplace that can some up with a platypus is ok with me...

You’re a neat guy.

3 more replies

I always miss the Val Kilmer AMAs..

Comment deleted6 months ago(1 child)

You made my night. I hope you don't mind me asking you a question this late afterwards.

If you could go back, what role do you wish you auditioned for?

What are your thoughts on the final product of The Snowman?

Original Poster488 points · 6 months agoGilded1

I WISH They'd found a way to embrace our world class directors time for him to find his timing in such a delicate piece. All the elements were there and I just have such admiration for Tomas Alfredson, who has made wonderful films before and will again. i was so proud to be a part of his creation and process. a real gent. And of course michael Fassbender is COMPLETELY ABSURD. He's to handsome and too funny and too witty and to talented and too clever and too Irish and too cool and too nice and now he's married our ingrid Bergman and they will have perfect children and another form of master race will form but this time around it will be formed by perfect poets and beauties. I can t wait.

but I got lost s while back and stoppe explaining where i am. 2 days ago I land in Florida to to make up shows cause i had family business that kept me from doing sold out shows in 3 different cities I've sold out months ago. Well I just might move to West Palm Beach. The audience was so kind to me i kind a took my breath away. I mean, over and over they told me how this film and that one and this one no wait this one was their most meaningful and why. And why i'm being so vain is that for so many years i've been in a kind of self imposed exile t write. you have the opportunity as a writer to collect and PRECISELY lay out your core beliefs, and in such a way that you have no excuses, you have to say, this is, this half baked chicken is all i got to say about the world this week or this month and i hope its good enough. after YEARS of notes and talking outlaid to yourself like you are at the moment or past it when you are about to die, imagine your son who has heard you talk like this instead of yourself at least half his life, imagine for real, your daughter trying to even put up with the tightest slightest legit parenting when you start your day getting dressed in an all while taffeta little something... i mean wig fittings and shoes being fitted and built and hand made suits and picking the right white out of the 458 different recognized shades of "white" and which still to cut and which joke to try on tonight and reviewing each and every improv that worked and "What the one that keeps flooring them that i forget to put back in,,,,,,,, grrrrrrr come on mind, come back to me. Shoot, its gone...;/ (spirit gum had in it some sort of brain sap...) anyhow, when it all comes together and its a seamless gossamer web of the best your got, and you achieve the closest thing to perfection you can hope for on stage, what I call in my play, "Lets call it eloquence..." (Heres some more quotes I'm feeling quotey today, quotes from my play as i listen to David Bowies, Lazarus. What a rush....
Nigger folks work on de Mississippi, Nigger folks work while de white folks play, Pullin' dose boats from de dawn to sunset, Gittin' no rest till de judgement day.

Don't look up An' don't look down, You don' dast make De white boss frown. Bend your knees An' bow your head, An' pull date rope Until you' dead.

Let me go 'way from the Mississippi, Let me go 'way from de white man boss; Show me dat stream called de river Jordan, Dat's de ol' stream dat I long to cross.

O' man river, Dat ol' man river, He mus' know sumpin', But don't say nuthin' He jes' keeps rollin', He keeps on rollin' along.

You n' me, we sweat an' strain, Body all achin' an' racket wid pain, Tote dat barge! Lif' dat bale! Git a little drunk, An' you land in jail.

Ah gits weary, An' sick of tryin' Ah'm tired of livin', An' scared of dyin', But ol' man river, He jes' keeps rolling' along.

Dat ol' man river just keeps on rollin' on...

The difference between the right word and the wrong one is the same as lightning to the lightning bug. You know, Mrs. Eddy made it into the Webster's new International unabridged dictionary adding to the definition of God. Listen here, “Incorporeal, divine, Supreme, infinite Principle, Mind, Soul, Spirit, Life, Truth, Love”. That ladies and gentlemen, is eloquence. I couldn't have written that. She has taken on a God without judgment!

The suns and planets that form the constellations of the billion billion solar systems and go pouring, a tossing flood of shinning globes, through the viewless arteries of space are the blood corpuscles in the veins of God; and the nations, all these countries all these people and all these thoughts, are the microbes that swarm and wiggle and brag in each, and to think God can tell them apart at that distance and has nothing better to do than try. This is the entertainment of an eternity. Blasphemy? No, it is not blasphemy. If God is as vast as that, he is above blasphemy; if He is as little as that, He is beneath it. Don’t part with your illusions. When they are gone, you may still exist but you have ceased to live! I share with y’all a religion whose heaven is not put off to another time with a break and a gulf between but begins here and now, and melts into eternity as fancies of the waking day melt into the dreams of sleep.

But children, let me preach to you tonight: All you need is ignorance and confidence and the success is sure. And always tell the truth. Then you don’t have to remember anything. I have always preached. If the humor came of its own accord and uninvited I have allowed it a place in my sermon, but I was not writing the sermon for the sake of the humor. I am saying these vain things in this frank way tonight because I am a dead person speaking from the grave. Even I would be too modest to say them in life. I think we never become really and genuinely our entire and honest selves until we are dead- and not then, until we have been dead years. People ought to start dead and then they would be honest so much earlier.

​I feel I am fading now. This happens every now and again. Oh I left my beautiful home and family to go off, a Tramp Abroad, to pay my debts. I tried to speculate. I got greedy. I went crazy. I didn’t read the signs. Shall I read some Huckleberry Finn? Alright, I’ll be your Huckleberry! The 13 year-old-son of the town drunk. Huck was hated by all the mothers, because he was idle and lawless and vulgar and bad--so all their children admired him and wished to be like him. He was the only really independent person, boy or man, in the community. Huckleberry came and went, at his own free will. He slept on doorsteps and under trees and he did not have to go to school or to church; and he could swear wonderfully. In a word, everything that goes to make life precious, that boy had. And for this reason, I suppose, he was continually happy. I, can’t go back on the river again tonight Lord. The California-gold rush-get-rich-quick disease of my youth spread like wildfire, all the way up to Wall Street. It produced a civilization which has destroyed the simplicity and repose of life; replaced its contentment, its poetry, its soft romance dreams and visions with the money fever, sordid ideals, vulgar ambitions, and the sleep which does not refresh; it has invented a thousand useless luxuries, and turned them into necessities and satisfied nothing; it has dethroned God and set up a shekel in His place. Oh the dreams of our youth. How beautiful they are, and how perishable.

Lets, come to accounts now, shall we? I can’t feel my left leg. If the world comes to an end, I don’t want to be in the city of Angels. I want to be in Australia. Everything there comes, ten years too late…

Blackout. [Halley’s Comet streaks across the pitch black stage]

TWAIN: [In black- into a mike] Fruck… This is fructifying… Dirty pool Lord. What of the most important question in the world? I know it , and aim to answer it. May I stay a while, we, I wasn’t a’tall finished. What’s that Lord? Can’t, hear, you. [Pause] Really? You don’t say? I’m flattered- Oh glory! Oh the unknowable, known. The Family of man... I see now. O I see.

I have been loved before, but this is a masterpiece!

​ THE END

By Val Kilmer all rights reserved 4.7.11

This was amazing to read. I was a middle aged dude when I started, and now I'm a frog sitting on a log hallucinating after licking my own skin.

Comment deleted6 months ago(6 children)

6 more replies

Best. Post. Ever.

The contrast between this and most celebrity 5 word neutral answer amas is pretty stark

1 more reply

Follow up question, Mr. Kilmer: what are you currently on and where can I get some?

Original Poster286 points · 6 months ago

high on life my friend. clean living. gave up complaining. i swear and this sound so insulting ly simple but the more you laugh the happier you are. sounds too good to be b=true but its true. gets some friends around you that make you laugh and don't let go of them man... I promise you life is not that complicated...

Jeeezus....how much life did you take?

Now there's a great question: Is there such a thing as too much life?

2 more replies

I take 10 lives a day, and I really feel like I've been killing it lately.

5 more replies

Thank you so much for your response. I’m going through some rough times and it was something I needed to hear. Peace.

After reading this, I’ve decided to give up complaining. Thanks for the inspiration.

Someone way wiser than me once said "What you focus on grows".

So giving up complaining & what is negative is the first half of the equation.

The second is focusing on what is good in your life, what is abundant, the love respect & trust of others (especially your friends & family) and all of those little but good moments in life including what makes you laugh.

When you do, you will be amazed at how much better it can get.

From time to time I do struggle with a focus on the negative but I work at catching myself in the act and consciously shift my thoughts to something good even if seems like the tiniest little thing. Then somehow things come back into abundant goodness again.

Maybe this will work for you too?

3 more replies

I had no idea Val Kilmer was a beat poet.

Fantastic.

I wish I could listen to this instead of read it.

lolwtf

This is some exquisite madness right here folks

And this is why you are a thousand times more interesting than every other actor.

/r/movies Veteran

What did he mean by this

I expect Reddit to be debating it for some time to come ;-)

I'm just glad I was here for this. I love you, Val.

This is the weirdest fucking thing ever

I love this

This is not Mel Torme...

Awesome!!! Come do this in Houston... And please let us know so we can get tickets!

22 more replies

Hey Val, do you have any MacGruber stories?

Original Poster86 points · 6 months ago

I have to admit, i have a crush on kristen Wiig, and then she's so so so so s solo so funny I could hardly look at her without cracking up. and Will is such a pro, he is so serious about his comedy. That that in itself cracks me up. And both to them have true courage so they just stand right in from of you naked with everything hanging out with this crazy look of, "oh yeah, this is how we do it after years of improv together, you wanna play?' They have major chops. As legit actors. Really squared away...

This is seriously one of the most unappreciated comedies I can ever remember. Is there any hope that we could get a prequel with you on the team with Mcgruber and all the other badasses before the rift? I’d just love to see all of you in Grenada or some shit just ripping throats...

45 points · 6 months ago · edited 6 months ago

Hi Val! Thank you for doing this! Hope your Tuesday is going well!!!

What have been your favorite films of 2017 so far?

42 points · 6 months ago · edited 6 months ago

I recently saw you comment on one of u/shittymorph's recent threads and love how active you are on this site, including non-film related subs.

Also, my local Alamo Drafthouse is playing 'Kiss Kiss, Bang Bang' tonight so I'm really looking forward to that. You and Shane Black are definitely masters of your craft and its always a delight each time you take on a comedic role.

Are you open to doing more comedic/light-hearted roles down the line ?

Comment deleted6 months ago(1 child)

7 points · 6 months ago · edited 6 months ago

He called me “good company” in that thread and I feel FUCKING BLESSED

Edit: actually he probably called the person I followed good company. Regardless it was awesome. It’s Val fucking Kilmer, people.

Since Misha Collins played "Val Kilmer" in Supernatural recently, any plans to play "Misha Collins" in something?

Or just to work on a fun project together? Fans would dig that.

Edit: Context.

That would be pretty amazing. 😁

They should do an indie film. 10/10 would watch.

Val should show up on SPN as "The Pizza Man" that Castiel learned so much from lol

4 more replies

Does it bother you when interviewers ask you about really old roles like Madmartigan, Batman and Iceman? How do you handle situations where you are trying to talk about something current and they ask you what it was like working with Tom Cruise, or if you are ever going to do a Top Secret sequel, or some other ridiculous question?

Original Poster69 points · 6 months ago

I love that people reference the od stuff cause that means I picked something even way back then that still has resonance. its like if you went back in your wardrobe and picked out an outfit from the 80's dn asoeone you really respected said, "hey that still looks cool.." thats a tough one to pull off. no i like it when people talk about the old movies, just have to make sure I have a trap door I can slip out of when its gets too much.hahahaha

2 more replies

Howdy Mr. Kilmer, love your work. Do you want plain white tube socks or the kind with colored bars on top? Thanks!

Comment deleted6 months ago(2 children)

2 more replies

Hey Val, I heard a story that before True Romance starting shooting you would call up director Tony Scott in the middle of the night and talk to him in your Elvis voice. Is that true? If so, what kinds of things did you say to him? Will you be at True Romance Fest? We are travelling all the way from the UK for it and would love to meet you!

Original Poster33 points · 6 months ago

I want to be there i have heard of it amanda will you help me find it?

are you...are you just talking your answers into a headset while lying back and looking at the ceiling fan?

13 points · 6 months ago · edited 6 months ago

sent

3 more replies

Hey Val,

What was your best kiss ever and why was it RDJ?

How hard was it to get into your role for the Salton Sea? And did gou have a 'tweaker' as a technical advisor? Love all of your work btw! My guilty pleasure still is the Saint!

Comment deleted6 months ago(3 children)

3 more replies

Commenting in on this legendary AMA for generations to come. I was here.

so say we all

Piggybacking your comment. This is one of the best amas I've seen on Reddit

5 more replies

Who would win in a fight, Clooney Batman, Affleck Batman, or your Batman?

Original Poster98 points · 6 months ago

Well they seemed to make poor Afflecks costume out of stone which doesn't really seem to be in the spirit of batman but/so I think he might win. Altho I'd like to think I could outwit them all with some clever Bruce Wayne brains..

This is canon now.

3 more replies

12 points · 6 months ago · edited 6 months ago

Hey Val. Anyway I can get a shout out to my mom on her 61st birthday? She is a huge fan of yours and would be absolutely floored if I could show her a message from you. Her name is Pam.

Also, Ghost and the Darkness is without a doubt the most underrated movie of all time.

Comment deleted6 months ago(2 children)

2 more replies

did Tommy Lee Jones sanction your buffoonery ?

Original Poster29 points · 6 months ago

in what?

Questioner means this Jim Carrey interview with Norm Macdonald (about 1:08:20, it's a reference to a story about how Tommy Lee Jones hated Jim) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VHG7mHKwQqA

8 more replies

How silly can you get?

What is your favorite movie ever?

2 more replies

Considering how big the topic has been lately and some of the huge stars that have been exposed with the sexual allegations, figured I would ask someone in the scene.

Were a lot of stars aware of these issues even before the mass exposure? Is (or was) this behavior really that common?

1 more reply

This is by far the greatest AMA of all time 🤣

Hi Val! Just wondering if you could speak about your relationship with Vincent Gallo in the 1980's? I know he wrote the author bio to your book (My Edens After Burns) in the form of a poem.

Dear Mr. Kilmer--

Me and my friends are making an independent film, and we’re wondering if you’d be interested in starring. I have absolutely no money to offer you, but I am willing to pay you in food. PM for details, and we can hash out the specifics of location, time, and the script, which is already written. If you accept, you will be playing the role of a Russian mobster vampire who speaks with a surfer accent (no, this is not a joke). Thanks for being awesome.

P.S. Batman Forever is the best Batman movie.

Original Poster141 points · 6 months ago

sounds promising. I have access to a fund but we're just hammering out the details now. how do you know its good. find someone credible to read it and offer a synopsis so i know were not wasting our time and lets see what happens. you NEVER know....

Don’t fall for it, Val...if they are paying you in food, then they clearly have money to buy the food to pay you in.

If they have meat on a stick though, he'd be a fool to pass it up!

"Rat onna stick!"

• 'Cut Me Own Throat Dibbler', Discworld.

1 more reply

Do it for the “exposure” I’m a first AD and they always try to hook me on that, must be wonderful because lots of young kids do it, I’m sure you’ve had a lot of exposure yourself before you were the iceman. BTW, loved you in the Saint

3 more replies

Please, Mr Kilmer.

Think of all the food.

2 more replies

If you could work with any director, living or dead, who would you choose and why?

2 more replies

Just posting for the record I was here for this AMA.

What are your thoughts on the current state of Hollywood with the blacklisting of all the perverts, pedophiles, and predators?

Paddington 2 for Best Picture

Not really sure how you'd expect anyone to answer this question besides saying those people are detestable and should be blacklisted. I can't imagine we are going to learn anything groundbreaking by getting an answer.

15 more replies

7 more replies

Hi, Val

I love this and again around here, entertained with you

And now some questions for your exciting AMA:

(I formulate several Val, I do not pretend that you answer me all, I understand that there are many people around here, but ... to see if I have guessed right with any of them)

1- If you could go to dinner with a historical character, who would you like to go with?

2- To what place would you go to live an adventure?

3- Would you prefer to travel to the future or to the past?

And the last, "to laugh a while":

4- If you were a "pizza topping", what would you like to be?

Val, I adore you and it is always a pleasure to be here and accompany you for a while and if we also laugh, even better or ... and ... you have a great stay in Texas, even if it is short.

Original Poster29 points · 6 months ago

1-have to be jesus. even tho we wouldn't eat much 2-i havn'et been to south america but maybe way into Russia... 3-future 4- th perfect melted cheese

Wow Val !!!! I love all this and if I tell you that my thoughts match most of your answers and I do not know Russia, but surely it is an ideal place for interesting adventures

th perfect melted cheese

To the laypeople out there, this is a clear reference to his work in Top Secret!

Even though it looks like you left the ama hours ago, this is just to say I really appreciate how weird and genuine you are in these things. It's very frustrating to me that so many folks are asking what drugs you're on or how drunk you are, because dang it, some people are wonderfully strange and beautiful on their own. Please never change.

Val, will you ever forgive me for calling your Art "stuff" in the last AMA? I feel pretty bad about it and I'd be willing to buy you a coffee to make it up to you. I swear I am not a bad person.

Comment deleted6 months ago(1 child)

Phew! I think this means i have a coffee date with Val Kilmer. Can't wait to tell my mom.

Would you be interested in reentering the realm of superhero movies like Michael Keaton did earlier this year with Spider-Man or was Batman enough?

Also, my dad's birthday is next week. Can you give a birthday shout-out to Paul?

Hey Val, what does the title Batman Forever mean?

Batman - meant a movie with Batman; Batman Returns - meant Batman returned; Batman and Robin - meant a movie with both Batman and Robin; Batman Begins - meant a movie showing Batman's beginning;

But what the heck does "Batman Forever" mean?

The original plan was that Val would play Batman forever...obviously.

I'd guess that following on from Batman Returns to mean "returning", that Batman Forever meant "never leaving".

2 more replies

Hi Val thanks for doing this .

What movies were you blown away by this year . Who do you think deserves academy award for best actor this time ?

Original Poster28 points · 6 months ago

WELL i vote see so I am supposed to keep my opinions to myself but if you see any films with black actors who have gained a lot of weight, I would say, see that one about 6 times in a row. amazing script, etc...

You mean...the Nutty Professor???

Ryan Gosling?

2 more replies

Do you think we fell into a pocket universe where the guardians of the planet like Robin Williams and David Bowie are gone but we're stuck with toxic people and a world in chaos? Just wondering.

Original Poster30 points · 6 months ago

as long as bowie is there we will be ok

3 more replies

jury is still out on that, but if anyone can get to the bottom of it, it would be a Russian Gangster Vampire that speaks a surfer . this giant something we could handle with, just, like, two brothers

1 more reply

No questions, just throwing you some serious appreciation for your work and your interaction with people on here!

Oooooh ya I’m curious to know you’ve dated many celebs. What about us regular girls? That don’t have the fame in Hollywood but do at home Haha.

Original Poster34 points · 6 months ago

i have been very lucky especially since i lived in New Mexico, but i used to be be with Daryl Hannah who's the greatest ever. Michelle Pfeifer. Ellen Barkin is so funny and sexy and original and talented. Carly Simon, Cher, the funniest woman on earth. Winona Ryder...Course I married Joanne Whalley one of the great beauties of all of uk-dome...

5 more replies

Hey Val! Thanks for coming back to reddit for us again! I saw the Western video you posted the other day so I thought I would ask you: what are some of your favorite Western's?

Val. The microwave is going to ding in 4 seconds. What is inside?

Real Genius was one of my favorite movies when I was growing up. What is your favorite memory from making that film?

What is your favorite Graham Greene story?

I dont care what anyone says, i think you did a killer jim morrison.

Who says otherwise!? gets pitchfork

Hey Val! When do we get to spend some time with Gay Perry again?

Hi Val, really appreciate you being so active with the community. My question is less about movies and more about you! How is your health? I hope you are doing well.

552 more replies

Violation of Reddit self-promotion rules
Hatespeech
Ambiguous titles/Clickbait
Spam - Promotion of a website/link over and over
Flame war - Crosses the line of civility
Possible subreddit brigading
TV ad/TV spot masquerading as a "clip"/"trailer"
Extraneous Comic Book Movie submission