Posted by
Paddington rulz ok
6 months ago
ArchivedModerator of r/movies

Official Discussion: The Commuter [SPOILERS]

Poll

If you've seen the film, please rate it at this poll.

If you haven't seen the film but would like to see the result of the poll click here.

Rankings

Click here to see rankings for 2018 films

Click here to see rankings for every poll done

Summary:

Michael McCauley is an insurance salesman who is on his daily commute home. A mysterious stranger contacts him and offers him $100,000 if he identifies a hidden passenger on his train before the last stop. As he works against the clock to solve the puzzle, he realizes he is caught in the midst of a deadly criminal conspiracy and that his life and the lives of his fellow passengers are at risk.

Director: Jaume Collet-Serra

• Pat Kiernan as himself

Rotten Tomatoes: 53%

Metacritic: 56/100

After Credits Scene? No

Sort by

Just terribly bad writing

Genuinely wondering: WTF was that ending?? How could he be let off so easy AND offered a job? He still held the train hostage and the police didn't know what went on because he ripped off the wire. How could the situation requiring assistance of the swat be easily dissolved by someone just telling them that LN (who attacked a cop) was fine and that the while thing was fine. It all seemed so artificial like a kids idea of how the police work. Don't get me started on that family too. I thought I'd get some more views on the situation cuz my family is mad at me for complaining.

2 points · 2 months ago · edited 2 months ago

I did enjoy the movie ... not exactly for oscar and actors were chosen right... I think although from the beginning of the movie you could tell who is going to be probably bad and who good (yeah not exactly oscar movie, tho I had no idea till last second who actually Prynne is). But what was great about the movie were music and scenes. Scenes were made that good in the movie that I did short moment forgot I am watching the movie but I am in the train with those people.

Didn't except much, wasn't disappointed either. Go Neeson GO

4 points · 2 months ago · edited 2 months ago

Tried to figure out the hidden meaning of this unnecessarily overcomplicated plot. I think this movie was about Liam Neeson just as Birdman was secretely about Michael Keaton. Just think about it. He accepts money for some inconvenient shit that has to be done according to a big organisation. The contractor knows that Liam is the only person who can do the job because he has proven that he is good at that shit and many people know him. Of course Liam knows that something is not right but he takes the job anyway.

Joking apart, this was just another entertainingly bad Neeson-Collet-Serra B movie. I might say it was better than the previous ones from this duo. However, if you are reading this Liam Neeson, I will love you forever even if you take the same train for ten years(hahaha) but for God's sake, change director already!

Why didn't the bad guys just kill the witness directly if they're so powerful?

They didn't know who she was as far as i know, but I'm not really sure either.

They were willing to kill other people and they were willing to kill all the people on the train. Why not just do that in the first place instead of practically creating lots of other witnesses?

Contrived drivel...

So was she offered an FBI position?

I thought he was going to arrest her.

In that scene where the train goes off the rails not only does the detached car have no time to slow, the physics are all wrong, whatever. Not everything has to make sense but I was blown away by how stupid they must think the audience is. I can suspend disbelief and accept that in that .5second the car was decoupled before crashing it was able to lose just enough momentum to stay on the track but how am I supposed to believe he’s in the front of the car hanging off the edge yet barely escaped the other car landing behind the passenger car!? I haven’t seen a single person mention that when he gets flung to the back car with the passengers he’s in the front of that car hanging off... yet they try and add suspense by making it look as though one of the crashed train cars is going to fall on him and barely misses him. Did everyone miss that or do they excuse that!?

lol this is the worst movie i have seen this year. it deserves 0%. the script is complete nonsense. the acting is so bizarrely bad (Like not just bad acting but uncanny valley as if everyone was a CGI person maybe due to the shitty lighting they chose). some of the camera work and cgi looks like it was made by 3 different directors. it has zero charm to it at all.

the 3rd act is so strange and out of place.

What happens at the end? who was prin?

LMAO IM DONE HAHAHAHA

Hands down the worst Liam Neeson movie to date. Was I searching for some heavy deep existential journey and decided a LN action flick would be the best option? Do I really need to answer that? It was pointless. The casting was a spoiler itself, the plot was ridiculously unrealistic, full of semi dimensional characters, the cgi was offensive, even the fights were bad (they clearly went to the "you thought LN would beat the shit out of everyone, but ta-daaa, here's some standing waiting for the punch in the face LN for ya" rote, which was really, really, really bad; ok, I enjoyed the guitar bit, I'll give you that). It makes Taken franchise feel like a documentary. For those who care about numbers, here you go: 3/10 (and only because there's some tiny bits of good comic relief here and there).

Uh...I'd say Taken 3 was worse than The Commuter by a long shot.

I FIGURED OUT THE MOVIE. Movie starts whith scenes where Michael get up every morning and first thing he do is listening the media. And they talk mostly about bad things. Also just before last scene we can see how much media had talked about that accident on train. Joanna and her group... they are not assassins, they don't work for rich people who try to hide evidence. THEY WORK FOR MEDIA. THEY WORK FOR SHADOW GOVERNMENT WHO OWNS MEDIA. Look today media, they talk only about mass murderers, terrorist attacks, wars, killers, Black Chronicle is more then 60% of news today. I dont know how bad news impact us "people" but they do. The point is MEDIA needed some big thing some big accident some big story so people have what to listen. Mass shootings in USA is example. All of those are set up. And that is the point of the movie. Media control people and media always need new stories so they sometimes must make false flags.

Do you have any idea how you sound like?

Go easy, he's just come off his meds.

I knew the best friend was in on it when he said "don't you have a train to catch?" near the beginning of the movie.

1 point · 10 days ago

I knew he was in on it because that actor almost always plays the charming cop or best friend who turns out was bad the whooooollllleeee time

I really liked it

I came here to see if anyone else noticed this and I can't find any mention of it on IMDb or elsewhere and it's driving me nuts. I'm almost 100% sure the news reporter voice-overs at the end are done by Jeff Goldblum but can't find it mentioned anywhere. Please tell me I'm not the only one who noticed. The first time I caught it was during the helicopter shot during the hostage standoff and then again near the very end when it's all resolved. It's either Goldblum or a voice actor that sounds exactly like him.

I was thinking the same thing - but his voice is pitched weirdly in the "closing" scene at the tracks, like his voice has been digitally manipulated so it doesn't sound quite exactly like Goldblum...? Eh. I may be reaching.

Speed 3

I felt like it was straight-up typical Liam Neeson movie. Sit back and watch him kick some ass.

Really enjoyed it personally, i really like thrillers that are pretty much set in one location, anyone have any other good ones like that?

One of my all time favorites Reservoir Dogs " Most of the movie is in a warehouse " Also any of the Cube series of movies "

"Murder On the Orient Express" has a very similar feel to it.

The director of The Commuter's previous movies, especially Non-Stop.

Classics like: Rear Window, Rope, Assault on Precinct 13, Hunt for Red October, Speed, Die Hard, Shallow Grave

Some more recent ones: 10 Cloverfield lane, Green Room, Don't Breathe, Panic Room, 127 Hours, The Invitation, Coherence, You're Next, Hard Candy, Phone Booth, The Strangers, Unstoppable (also on a train), Taking of pelham 123 (ditto), rec.

Ever seen the movie 'Exam'? It takes place entirely in one room, I liked it a lot.

Can someone tell me how did "the bad guys" know that Walt (Jonathan Banks) was handed a message in the newspaper?

The black man is one of the killer

Thought it was pretty great but fell apart in the third act. I don't know why it had to go off the rails (pun not intended) so hard. The train derailing and blowing up was absolutely insane. You don't need all that to convince me that they would have died if they didn't detach their train car.

It's great fun for what it is, I just think it had a bit too many twists to keep track of, and again, the last act was completely over the top. I loved the first half, wish the second half was able to keep up.

1 point · 2 months ago

In that scene where the train goes off the rails not only does the detached car have no time to slow, the physics are all wrong, whatever. I haven’t seen a single person mention that when he gets flung to the back car he’s in the front of that car hanging off... they then try and add suspense by making it look as though one of the crashed train cars is going to fall on him and barely misses him. Except that can’t be possible as he’s in the front of the car and the flipped car lands behind the car that the passengers are in! Did everyone miss that or do they excuse that!? Not everything has to make sense but I was blown away by how stupid they must think the audience is. I can suspend disbelief and accept that in that .5second the car was decoupled before crashing it was able to lose just enough momentum to stay on the track but how am I supposed to believe he’s in the front of the car yet barely escaped the other car landing in the back of the train!

I wanted a silly fun action movie of Liam Neeson doing ridiculous things and got my silly fun action movie of Liam Neeson doing ridiculous things.

I had fun, I laughed at how silly and ridiculous it was and was entertained.

Saw this movie last night. As some others have mentioned, it's not award winning stuff, but definitely a fun ride alongside some popcorn. Small shout out the firm who developed the credit sequence. Thought it was a really creative way of doing it.

This movie is not gonna win any Oscars. However it is an action flick starring Liam Neeson and that is reason enough to watch it in my opinion. Head to your local cineplex with your SO, grab a bucket of popcorn, don't overanalyze the movie too much and have a couple hours of fun.

Anybody recall the quote from The Count of Monte Cristo, the book that Vera Fermiga's character is reading at the very end?

Another question I have ! what is this organisation behind Joanna ,who are they and why Joanna take the same train again at the end ?

I wasn't sure how they found Joanna in the end, but she wasn't on the same train in the last scene. She was on a train to Chicago

Can someone help me? I saw this movie last night with a friend at a theater.

[This is a conspiracy within the ranks of the police, right? Destroying evidence, and killing a witness, to cover up for a crime committed by police. I don't understand why, when Detective Murphy is accidentally gunned down by police on the derailed train, that suddenly deflates the tension? Were the police not coming after Prynne to kill her for the evidence she had? I mean, at least a group of police larger than just Murphy. And apparently they were targeting MacCauley because he was withholding telling who Prynne is?] (#spoiler)

It just made no sense that... killing one bad cop suddenly deflated the entire dramatic tension. It's like if killing one soldier in a war suddenly defeated the entire Army?

Doesn't make sense to me.

It doesn’t make sense because it is such a convoluted way to deal with the problem...Why not just push her in front of a bus?

Because then you don't have a well built up scapegoat for the crime dude. Have you even read the comment?

Why do you need a scapegoat? It’s contrived, illogical, and stupid (though I still liked the movie for what it was)

1 point · 5 months ago

They shot him accidentally. Liam stole the guys tag.

the ending sucked to be honest. Especially Liam's family's reaction... like he just came out of a derailed train after getting in numerous gun fights and supposedly taking 15 people hostage, and the wife is just like "Oh hey honey."

Can we talk about how cool that fight scene with the black guy was? I was expecting typical Old Man Neeson quick cuts, but the entire scene was a well executed mix of CGI and long takes that made the whole thing feel really visceral and cool to watch. This movie was exactly what I wanted from Liam Neeson, I just wish it got to the action faster because it was ridiculously awesome.

That was badass.

Just came from a screening and checked the discussion for this. Man, you guys have way too high standards. This is exactly what I would expect from a Liam Neeson movie and it delivered well. I would call this top-tier action-suspense B-movie. It's not perfect but it's very polished and the suspense was excellent with the right amount of humor.

I'm glad that I was in a theatre that was reacting to characters doing risky things Prim revealing herself as the witness to Murphy, etc. and applauding after the movie. It was actually fun and edge-of-your-seat engaging.

Not everything has to be a Nolan or a Kubrick or whatever cerebral director. This is a great popcorn flick where you can turn your mind off and enjoy the ride.

That's what I'm thinking, man. Everyone's comparing it to other movies and complaining about the plot (which I'm pretty sure at least 90% of them don't understand the basics of) but me and my girlfriend enjoyed it. We just picked a random movie to watch, and were presently surprised at how good it was.

if source code was half as smart and had liam neeson

Source Code was alright but I don't remember it having the most amazing cerebral storyline.

It had an interesting twist ending that makes sense if you're science fiction genre-savvy, but also seems rather horrifying.

I went to see this movie expecting a standard Liam Neeson fronted action flick that could provide some entertainment for a few hours and that's exactly what I got so can't complain about much.

They certainly didn't spare any expense in calling in Sam Neill for such a small role. Most times that sort of role would just be filled by a character actor from a cop show or something.

A character actor wouldn’t have been as much of an effective red herring as Sam Neill.

This.

I thought it was a decent dumb action-thriller. I'm not sure there's a standout scene, but the plot was engaging enough and the twist at the end actually caught me by surprise. I thought there was no way they'd cast Sam Neill and have him not be the villain, plus I like Patrick Wilson so I didn't really suspect him until after I should have

In the pantheon of "Liam Neeson Action movies" it's behind Taken and in that next level, where it's okay. Not great, but it was a worthy moviepass

I was thinking about how the wife and son never mention anything about being confronted and they're right there at the end and how it's kind of a loose end they don't tie up, but I think the police had them the whole time. Not captive, but when the people on the phone said "It's about your husband..." I think that was the local police just taking them to the station so they could be walked thru what was happening and then they were brought to the station so they could meet him.

TL; DR The family was never captured but Joana just made it seem that way

Im late but this is exactly what happened, the FBI guy said they picked up 3 suspects outside his home, I assumed they also took his family into safety.

Can someone tell me how “they” put Prin on the train if that’s what the FBI told her to do? Or was the FBI in on it, too? But at the end they seemed to be cleared of involvement in the conspiracy...

I'm not sure if they explicitly said that. I do remember Liam Neeson saying, "It's no coincidence that I was chosen."

He figured out that it was never a "social experiment" like Vera Farmiga said, he was always going to be chosen because he was the best passenger to fill the role of figuring out which passenger is Prynne.

Either:

A: Someone in the FBI came up with a plan to put her on that train with Neeson and then concocted a plan to have Neeson figure out who she was so that the black guy with the guitar could kill her.

This could also explain how the shadow organization that Vera Farmiga works for knows that Prynne is on the train, because they have a mole in the FBI who knows that Prynne is going to be on the train but doesn't know who they are.

or

B: It's a coincidence that Neeson happened to be on that train, but not coincidence that he was one of the passengers chosen to find Prynne. Which is how I originally interpreted it when I saw this movie.

If Liam Neeson hadn't been on that train, they would have leveraged someone else to figure out who Prynne was. Probably someone in desperate need of money, of questionable character, and with bad judgment.

Think of the black guy with the guitar who was "contracted" to kill Prynne. If they didn't have someone like Neeson, they probably would have found someone like black guitar guy to pay to figure out which passenger is Prynne.

Good god I hated this movie. The dialogue was awful, it was so goddamn predictable and most of the movie is Liam Neeson walking up and down a train clearly looking like he's in distress with a bunch of people who he seems to know like best friends that he sees on his commute every day.
Also, how fucking long was that train ride? I feel sorry for the poor bastard that has to take that train every day. The ending especially annoyed me, they shove this cop conspiracy bullshit storyline down your throat and then Patrick Wilson ends up trying to kill people on the train, with an entire police force outside?

This movie convinced me not to watch movies under a 7 on IMDB at the cinema because every time I've gone to watch a movie I'm almost always disappointed.

The Commuter? More like The Computer. This film is seriously terrible and its CGI is god-awful. It wants to be Snowpiercer so bad but it terribly fails. Not to mention all of these implausible things that happen. I lost count after the first act. You can skip this one if you ask me.

It wants to be Snowpiercer so bad

It really, really doesn't, lol.

Really liked it. I saw the identity of the person coming from a mile off, but I still thought it was a fun film. Best movie I’ve seen all year (hahaha)

Comment deleted5 months ago(More than 10 children)

Oh my god...that title...

It's not even a word!!

You couldn't be more wrong.

Comment deleted5 months ago(0 children)

Someone who commutes is a commuter.

Comment deleted5 months ago(0 children)

How drunk are you right now?

Comment deleted5 months ago(0 children)

That literally has nothing to do with this thread. This is about a movie called The Commuter...

Comment deleted5 months ago(0 children)

That's not even what we're talking about. You claimed commuter isn't a word. I replied that it was a word. I dont know what is wrong with your brain.

I went to this film to kill time this morning and I was pissed that Indious 4 played an hour later and I didn't have time and had to settle. BUT BOY WAS I SHOCKED TO FIND THAT THIS MOVIE IS FUCKING AWESOME! This is probably Liam Neeson's best movie of these types that he does. It had a lot of GREAT suspense thriller. It had a few problems with some extra scenes that took away from the tension but man what a fun film. Sometimes a film doesn't have to be perfect to still hit all the notes.

I have never seen a movie go from great to "GIVE ME BACK MY WIFE!!" so quickly before.

WAS SHE TAKEN???

6 points · 5 months ago · edited 5 months ago

The movie had the same problem all the Neeson + Jaume movies had, where the first two acts are a good thriller and out of nowhere the third act goes to be an action flick

Late response, but that was exactly my feeling, it had the makings of an interesting thriller if they didn't keep shoehorning in ridiculous action scenes.

Of course that was before we had learned that the entire plot made no sense, but it was still an intriguing beginning!

It’s kind of refreshing to see Vera acting in a thriller movie,instead of a horror flick like the conjuring(no offense but i think that instalment is overrated).She deserves more than those boring roles and she has showed she has potential in possible great roles.

If you liked her in this then you should see her in Source Code and Up In The Air.

oh thank you!

Check out the tv show Bates Motel. It's based on Psycho by Alfred Hitchcock but it's more of a psychological thriller show and Vera carries the whole show.

Look, it's as silly as can be. But of course it is! I have enjoyed all of the Jaume Collet-Serra and Liam Neeson film so far. They're not high art for sure. Hell, they aren't great films at all, but they balance enough seriousness with silliness to a level where its hard not to turn your brain off and have fun with them.

Collet-Serra directs this film with far more style than I expected. The opening title sequence and the hand-to-hand long take scene were both scenes that I didn't think Collet-Serra had the creative flourishes to execute. It's the best directed of their four collaborations.

The writing is flimsy and you can drive a train through the plot, but it created enough tension and intrigue for me to be semi-invested. And the film knows exactly what it is, a simple B-movie thriller. https://iwandm.wordpress.com/2018/01/19/the-commuter-review/

In the final scene, Michael explained to Joanna how he found her but I missed what he said. I recall that from an earlier scene that she had said that she [spoiler text here] had never been on a commuter train, but there she is on a (commuter?) train (#spoiler).

Is there a video link to the final scene or does someone have the dialog I could see?

You not using the spoiler tag correctly is adorable.

That one-shot-edited fight was the shit

Totally makes up for the fence jump in Tak3n

Yea there is a similar 13 shot clip of Milla Jovovich vaulting over a small table in the last Resident Evil movie which would leave me to believe that she had no real interaction with said table and that it took all day to shoot.

It's not just unoriginal because it's another Liam Neeson thriller, it's unoriginal because it's LITERALLY THE SAME FUCKING THING AS NON-STOP, but actually some good cinematography, at least we know the camera guy tried.

Commuter was an average Liam Neeson action movie. We’ve already seen it, doesn’t make I.T less fun. Definitely a movie to turn your brain off too. First half is good, rest is Pretty mediocre. Dialogue in some scenes is really bad. Overall a 53/100.

It totally deserves a 54. I don't know what you're thinking.

Nah man, the cluster fuck that was the opening credits get a point deducted

I think his point was that 100 points may be a BIT more than is strictly necessary for a movie grading scale.

I understood, which is why I made a joke

Didn't expect multitrack drifting in this movie.

4 points · 5 months ago · edited 5 months ago

May I freaking understand why on earth they chose him when they hired A FUCKING ASSASSIN AND A COP

I suppose they needed a scapegoat and the cop recommended him as a candidate. I did wonder why with the resources at their disposal they couldn't have just done it themselves but at least the framing a patsy angle kind of justifies it.

"off the rails" see what you did there

I was treated to this movie, but I still feel ripped off. The plot was too convoluted to the point where I felt like telling the movie to stop. One of the people I was with mentioned it's "a movie you have to watch several times to get it", but the more I think about the film, the less sense it makes.

I understand it's supposed to be a corny action flick, but it didn't feel like that until the climax. By then, I was just reiterating "Oh great, how else can everything go perfectly wrong?" By the end, it just felt like they were ticking off boxes on a list more than writing a script.

7 points · 5 months ago · edited 5 months ago

People are seriously mad at the corny action? What did you expect? This is the fourth movie from this duo yet no one has caught on? It's an okay movie with a couple of flaws. It would have been great but I don't think the suspense worked. There was no build up to the shock.

"that's not how mace works" - me to my friend in the middle of the movie.

They did establish early on that Liam Neeson used to be a cop, so I was willing to look past that.

is this a pun or am i overthinking it

I said "that's got to be the world's shittiest pepper spray" to mine haha

It had some good moments but it derailed right around the time the train did.

Really? For me it was when nobody reacted to him pulling a gun on them, and they only freaked out the third time he did it.

Comment deleted6 months ago(8 children)

Hey I'm a few months late but just have to say I loved your analysis.

She was hired by the powerful people to get a job done.

Comment deleted5 months ago(0 children)

I think that might be a bit of a stretch. Do you know the kind of dirt she would have to get on these people to be able to have that kind of pull? Either dirt, or money that bought them and eventually made them dirty. She did all of this just for a game? Just to see what would happen?

Probably not.

But done so precisely that no innocent people are killed. With the exception of the innocent people they have already killed up to this point.

I am of course referring to the part when he has narrowed it down to three people and the assassin needs an exact target for some reason when they already have a bomb on the train and could just kill everyone anyway.

Also how were the antagonists able to watch Liam Neeson's every action, and why did the police have some sort of vr metal penetrating x-ray rifle scopes?

yeah why didnt they just derail the train anyway, I guess they wanted to minimalize collateral damage, but its still too convoluted.

"I'm Spartacus!"

nuff said

I'm Brian, and so is my dog.

I knew it. This was gonna be terrible and you could clearly see it through the trailer.

Theres a reason it is a January movie.

Well, it's not terrible. It's just a nice B movie. Not everything has to be a masterpiece. Not everything is trying to be.

We seem to have forgotten the good old times when movies like these made up most of mainstream cinema.

It was far better than that previous Liam Neeson movie where he plays a drunk cop that accidentally hits a bystander with a stray bullet in a shoot out with a criminal, and is haunted by it years later. It turns out that they spent the entire movie building up to that big reveal of how that shoot out actually went down.

Well nobody told the guys who made the trailer that, because they put the full shoot out flashback scene from the end of the movie right in the trailer. Oh and it turned out to by pg nonsense. Such a terrible movie.

Why is Liam Neeson doing these crappy movies? Does he owe money like Nick Cage does?

crappy movies?? you know movies like Taken made him more famous, right?

Hes worked with the director a few times, maybe he likes the guy.

I think he's said in interviews before that since his wife died he just tries to keep busy

That's really sad :(

I think it's just hard to snag quality leading roles once you get older.

Neeson has made more than half of his movies since 2009, with lead roles from Scorcese and McQueen in the mix. I don't think difficulty snagging quality leading roles is why him and Serra have carved out their own little January B-movie niche.

Bullshit. Lots of older actors get great roles. Christopher Walken, Micheal Caine, Judi Dench and on and on and on.

Sure, but if you think about it like 90% of movies have a protagonist in their 40s and below. There are great roles out there for older actors, but also more competition. It's just mathematically harder to snag those quality leading roles.

thank goodness for moviepass, had i actually paid paid to see this i would've been pretty disappointed. as is, it was meh and killed some time for me on an otherwise uneventful tue night.

Thank god I didnt spend money on this movie.

I haven't seen it and don't intend to unless it's free on Netflix at some point. It seemed like a train version of his movie Non-stop where he's on the plane which was also incredibly underwhelming overall. Is that an accurate analogy for this movie?

It is so similar to non stop you won’t believe!!

Cunts in the cinema were also mentioning the similarities !

I can't bring myself to go and see it just because of the title. The Commuter...ffs.

Just saw this. The movie as a whole is pretty predictable, but I wanted to give a shoutout to the intro montage...that was IMHO exceptionally well done and could have been a really good short film all on its own.

Very late response, but I agree! It was like that was taken out of a far better movie.

5/10. this movie was exactly what i thought it was going to be going into it. nothing special. but its liam neeson, any of his movies i will go see just for him.

Liam Neeson lays a beat down on a dude with a left handed electric guitar on his ride home from work in a long take.

This movie was a B movie and was totally unapologetic about it. Stupid as hell but tons of fun.

This was fine I guess. Nothing special and it's exactly what you expect. Also did they really directly rip off the famous "I'm Spartacus!" scene at the end there?

MULTI TRACK DRIFTING!!!

This was the worst movie I have seen in theaters.

I took a guy from a group home I worked at years ago to a movie titled "redline" I don't think I have ever watched such a shallow movie... It was over and I was like heh...okay.

Bahaha I'm cracking up....that was rated about how I remembered it years ago... 4/10 imdb 0/100 rt

You must not have seen a lot of movies.

I saw this and "Proud Mary" this weekend. "Proud Mary" was a far worse movie than this. Not saying this movie wasn't in the bad territory.

I"m surprised it has stayed in the theater as long as it had. It must be showing well of they have an agreement for so many showings.

Molly's Game quickly left theaters!

Molly's Game was kind of limited on release. We had to kind of go out of our way to find a theater showing it. It was pushed back a few times as well. It was a good movie though.

If you think this is bad don't watch downsizing

That fuckin' movie...marketed as something completely different. I walked out basically like "Well...that definitely wasn't what I was expecting but I'm not really sure what I was expecting..."

I suggested is as a hard pass on facebook and a couple people were like we should have listened and others who don't usually chime in were like duude...totally agree.

Beginning was pretty decent, middle was still okay, but the ending seem to try to hard to catch us off guard with the twists.

The ending killed the movie. I don't think they knew how to properly end the film. It's becoming consistent with the director's films, like Unknown and Non-Stop... even The Shallows had an ending that suggested they didn't know how to finish the film.

Wasn't he stabbed a bunch of time?

At the end of the movie the medics just draped a blanker over his shoulders and sent him home with his family.

Also, I might be mistaken, but I think Patrick Wilson also shot him in the foot?

Very Die Hard-like.

Ends up too run-of-the-mill and silly/ridiculous for my tastes, but focusing on the positive: really good opening; I liked the way they established his routine, with that montage. And the initial set-up is good, just doesn't pay-off.

... NOW is he done with action flicks? I know this one isn't on the level of anything "Taken" ever did, but im sure at this point he's getting tired of doing anything where there is any fight choreography involved.

Boy I sure hope not. I wouldn't mind seeing him as a nursing home resident fighting back against abusive caretakers.

Does anyone know the author/the quote Liam says at the end to Joanna or the book she's reading at the end?

“What makes you a man is what you do when that storm comes.”

Last scene on a Chicago commuter train? Is this a hat tip to Source Code?

Had a lot of fun with this. Jaume Collet-Serra is seriously one of the best genre filmmakers working today.

Probably

Ridiculous January movie with some decent fight choreography. It gets super corny at times with a "I'm Spartacus" moment and the movie really tests your suspension of disbelief as to how much power a person wields over Neeson on the train.

Watched it last night and I missed the "I'm Spartacus" line - can you fill me in please?

Where Liam Neeson's friend was trying to find out who Prin was and everyone stood up saying, "I'm Prin!"

How did you miss that “line”? It was 30+ seconds of people standing up saying “I’m Prynne” right in the middle of the climax.

Thank you. I missed the line but still thought that was the cheesiest part of the movie.

So much cheese that my lactose intolerance flared up lmao. January is such a rough month for movies.

Really liked it, except that CGI jumping from one train car to another part, that one seemed pretty unnecessary to me.

They both could have stayed on the side with the passengers without jumping over to cut the line. The ax would have worked just as well on their side.

I think making the crash itself as extravagant as possible was so they could put it in the trailer to make the movie more appealing to people who only watch movies for explosions and action.

CGI Neesons was hilarious.

Just me or was CGI Neeson really obvious in a lot of the fight scenes, like even the basic fight scenes?

I thought it was a body double, not CGI. Either way, the fact that Collet-Serra made that tracking shot look that good while mostly using a body double and with no super obvious edit points is really impressive.

i only noticed one cgi edit point but i didnt mind because was enjoying the non shakey cam liam neeson fight so much

right - he's 60 lmao give him a break (npi)

last time i saw Elizabeth McGovern she was comparing mara blanchett Carol to a bond movie

Liam's witch hunt comment has fucked the box office for this film is what I'd say if it ever had a chance

it looks so fuckin dull

If your a third wave feminists maybe, but i'm pretty sure that is not the target audience of his movies.

Definitely Wouldn't. Vast majority of people haven't heard what Liam Neeson has to say at all. and the people who watch liam neeson movies and have heard it aren't gonna care.

375 more replies

Violation of Reddit self-promotion rules
Hatespeech
Ambiguous titles/Clickbait
Spam - Promotion of a website/link over and over
Flame war - Crosses the line of civility
Possible subreddit brigading
TV ad/TV spot masquerading as a "clip"/"trailer"
Extraneous Comic Book Movie submission