Posted by
Paddington rulz ok
6 months ago
ArchivedModerator of r/movies

Official Discussion: Paddington 2 [SPOILERS]

Poll

If you've seen the film, please rate it at this poll.

If you haven't seen the film but would like to see the result of the poll click here.

Rankings

Click here to see rankings for 2018 films

Click here to see rankings for every poll done

Summary:

Paddington, now happily settled with the Brown family and a popular member of the local community, picks up a series of odd jobs to buy the perfect present for his Aunt Lucy's 100th birthday, only for the gift to be stolen.

Director: Paul King

• Richard Ayoade as a forensic investigator

• Meera Syal as a prosecutor

Rotten Tomatoes: 100%

Metacritic: 89/100

After Credits Scene? Yes

Sort by

A little late I know, I watched it on tv and movie 1 on Netflix and enjoyed both for humor and touching family moments. I think I enjoyed the second one a bit more. Both endings touched me, almost caused me to cry.

I hope there's a third film, the actors and crew have really impressed me.

I'm late to the party too. I am shocked the ending nearly made me cry. I'd love if they closed out the trilogy

A pleasant surprise just like the first movie. Love the cast, cinematography, music and humour. It's like a wholesome Wes Anderson film and just so delightful to watch.

Good movie but my only question is: how did they know Paddington was going to wake up on his Aunt’s birthday?

they probably invited her because it's her birthday, not because they were expecting Paddington to wake up on the exact day

I wish all the spaced actors are in this movie

Umm so everything worked out but that dog is still homeless and starving ....Nice but hey atleast we got to see the happy ending for Buchanon.

How is the dog starving? Isn't Paddington bringing him food every day?

r/Movies Veteran

If Paddington 3 happens, I'm expecting to see the Brown's or Mr. Gruber adopt the dog.

r/Movies Veteran

Listen to the rain on the roof go pit-pitter-pat-pit-pitter-pat ~

Sit kitty cat we won't be gone for hou--rs~~~

This movie was amazing. 😢 Easily among best family movie. SO GOOD!

Been more than a month since seeing the movie. I've had time to let it stew in my brain, and I called it a masterpiece in family film initially in this thread. Now I think it's more than a masterpiece even. This is the best family film ever made.

Movie was great. I liked the first one better but the second one was still stellar.

I thought they could have expanded on the mystery of Madame Kozlova's treasure a bit more, like explain how or why she hid her treasure. The driving force of the mystery was kind of sidetracked by Paddington's stay in the prison (which to be fair was probably the best part of the movie), and having the Browns discover the mystery after the fact felt a bit strained. I didn't like how Peter Capaldi's character Mr. Curry reverts back to his first movie attitude towards Paddington, especially since he had a bit of a character arc there which made it seem he would now (albeit begrudgingly) accept him.

Really looking forward to a third movie.

Holy shit, everything about these Paddington movies really impressed me, but especially the writing and directing. The writing in both movies had so many set-up/payoffs that it felt very Edgar Wright-y. While the direction and cinematography, especially in this one, had that Wes Anderson flavor in a lot of scenes. 10/10. I'm not sure if I'd want them to make a third one, because it may ruin the first two, but I was also hesitant about this one, and I was proven very wrong.

There was more than a little "Grand Budapest Hotel" in the set design but I didn't mind. Agreed on Edgar Wright: the clockwork callbacks were spot on; I knew they were coming and was delighted anyway.

I agree! I loved the cast. I wasn't really so into the first one but this one was fantastic.

I have the moviepass and did not see the first Paddington. I cried my eyes out at the end. This film is amazing and should be my 'pick me up' flick for now on

Totally lost it at the end, too. Also laughed out loud at the train split and that has been my line for everyone curious, that it made me laugh out loud and cry. The former is rare for me. The latter a bit less so, but still. I loved this film.

I saw it tonight using moviepass too! My wife and I also cried at the end. Also, the first Paddington is on Netflix now and is just as good as this one!

I'm glad you guys enjoyed it.

r/Movies Veteran

You know a movie is good when you revisit the discussion thread every day to see what other people think about the movie.

Yup. Here right now.

If Paddington 🐻👒🏷 💼 and my girl👸🏼😍 both drowning😱🌊 and I can only save one😤😬 Catch me at my girl funeral😔👻🌹 wit tha fresh marmalade🥪 🍊

r/Movies Veteran

So you wouldn't save Sally Hawkins?

Best family movie I have seen since Babe. An absolute delight. Not an ounce of cynicism in the whole thing.

The more I think about it, the more I think this movie is a masterpiece. It deserves every bit of praise it gets.

A masterpiece of a family film. It's so hard to make a high quality film that any age can enjoy. Especially a live action one. And this nails it on every level.

While I think it's a very good movie, I wouldn't call it a masterpiece.

The most kindhearted movie I've ever seen and absolutely hilarious. It was perfect and I actually felt like a kid again with that child-like wonder. I cried at the final scene and so did my girl. I'm so glad this movie was made. It's absolutely a 10/10 from me.

This is an utter delight of a film. Paul King brings so much visual style to the film as he did the original. His quaint and fantastical style is heavily inspired by Wes Anderson and it constantly elevates the material. Whishaw is perfect as Paddington and perfectly embodies the character's warmth and innocence. King and Simon Farnaby's script is witty and emotionally rich, with the ending making hitting me hard on an emotional level. https://iwandm.wordpress.com/2018/01/24/paddington-2-review/

I loved the original so much. Somehow, the sequel met and exceeded my ridiculously high expectations. I could watch it five more times in theater (and probably will)

the scene with mr. brown doing the split between the train was absolutely hilarious

I L O V E this film! I saw it with my girlfriend on a sleepy Sunday afternoon, with like total theater attendance of 10 people. Everyone, laughed. Everyone clapped, at the END! (Not spoiling the end)

Just a wonderful film to have grow on you & make you feel so good about everything can be good again in the world. Makes me incredibly happy to talk about & would see/recommend to anyone!

It's phenomenally well written and the scenes are fantastiv..... Possibly the best feeling I've ever had walking out of a theater.

What the hell just happened? Did freaking Paddington 2 seriously just become my favorite movie of the year (2017)?!?!?!

I just saw paddington 2 last night. Phantom Thread and Call Me by Your Name finally made it to my theatre, so i'm going to have to watch those this weekend too. However, i must say, those two are going to have a hard time trying to replace paddington 2 as my favorite movie of the week. Paddington 2 hit me in the feels hard.

17 points · 5 months ago · edited 5 months ago

I need me a "Free Paddington" pin fam

r/Movies Veteran

I need that newspaper clipping that says "It Takes A Bear to Catch A Thief"

Fuck it, I need me a mothafuckin tiny bear with manners

r/Movies Veteran

I'm convinced that all of my rude coworkers need a hard stare from Paddington.

The mods are removing any criticism of this film to maintain the inside joke...

At what point do the ironic praises, ironic 10/10 reviews and ironic "Best of the Year" award nominations lose their irony?

I actually really enjoyed the film :/

You should never respond to people like that.

Is it the best movie out this month? I want to go see it next week.

For sure, just got back from it and it lived up to every bit of praise it received. It was a fun wholesome movie that was enjoyable regardless of age.

I spent the entire movie crying in awe. This might be the greatest movie I’ve ever seen.

owner of 5 Bags Cinema

loved seeing simon mcfarnaby show up, if the mighty boosh had a role that would have been amazing

Paddington might be one of my favorite movie series. I mean that completely earnestly.

Both films are like Wes Anderson films without the mandatory way too dark tone shifts in the end of the second act.

Comment deleted5 months ago(1 child)

How is 8/10 "decently good"?

I'm about 99% sure this isn't a spoiler because they show part of it in the commercials but:

WHY DID HE EVEN GET SENT TO JAIL? In America, someone has to press charges in a robbery situation to be sent to jail. The shop owner himself testified that Paddington wouldn't be the type to break in and he liked him as a friend, so did he still press charges to get him in put in jail, or do the police have the ability to arrest/incarcerate people regardless of what the "victim" says? >.>

r/Movies Veteran

The Justice system is flawed and unjust towards brown people,especially the furry ones.

Crown Prosecution service decided whether to charge in the UK, because if the victim can choose whether to press charges it opens up avenues for rich people to evade the law.

That explains a bit but also seems so foreign to me. In America, if a rich person broke into my house but offered 20k for me to not call police/press charges, i'd take it.

I know im late to the party, but this is absolutely false. A citizen cannot press charges, only a prosecutor can. It’s a myth usually shown in movies for some reason.

You can unwillingly not call the police, that is correct. But if they found out about it somehow, the state absolutely can press charges, no matter what you as the “victim” says.

Are you saying my statement is false? I've firsthand seen where police were called in then the "victim" said they will not be pressing charges/filing the report. The most recent one was when a neighbor called the cops because the house across the street was being broken into.... by their cousin. The family said they wouldn't press charges on the cousin after calling his parents and then everyone just let it go.

6 points · 4 months ago · edited 4 months ago

Yes. You are absolutely incorrect

The DA could still bring charges. They are just choosing not to because they feel the “victim” by saying not to press charges is going to make the case harder to win at trial. It has nothing to do with that person pressing charges or not. Private citizens cannot bring charges whatsoever so you are misinformed. They may make you think thats what happening, but that is in fact false. In the same manner, that person could say “i want to press charges” and the DA can say no, and there’s really nothing he can do.

This is why in criminal cases, it’s not “victim vs robber” it is “state of CA, or the “people” vs robber. Or you see murder cases where the suspect seems obvious, but they refuse to indict. You see the victims family begging the authorities to arrest them, but theres nothing they can do because they cannot press charges themselves.

3 points · 5 months ago · edited 5 months ago

/u/Blurandski That's indeed a big thing that organized crime does: bribe or threaten their victims into not calling the cops.

That's true, but its also true that insurance and stuff can be a mess to deal with. My friend was parked, had a car hit his back bumper and damage his car pretty badly, was offered 1k to just drive off. Decided to get insurance/police involved, now his insurance rate went up for the next 2 years. Would've come out ahead if he just took the money.

1 point · 5 months ago · edited 5 months ago

I think things are different when it's affairs that are really just "about dollars and cents". Would the $1000 really have covered most if not all of the repairs for that particular accident?

Actually yes, it looked like a gruesome hit to the back, and the 'insurance approved mechanic' estimated 3k, but my fiance's dad and uncle are mechanics and they said it was honestly about $800 for parts+labor. Most shops know how much insurance usually pays out for certain things so they inflate cost.

Interesting.

Now, I haven't the life experience of asking someone to cough up $ for damages, but I think it would be possible to negotiate something, like asking the person to pay cheaper repairs if he or she can find a reliable cheap repair shop?

(also, heads up: double-posts.)

And as a result the rich person can get away with crimes, while the poor get a criminal record, it just drives even more inequality.

Are you implying that rich people don't get away with literal murder in the UK thanks to this system?

Is equality really what is being protected here?

Yeah. I'm aware of very few (read:none) cases where someone has been able to bribe the victim in order not to get charged with crimes (though of course literal murder is the one exception, as dead people cannot be bribed). Well it seems like a pretty good system. If you get caught doing a crime, rich people should not be able to bribe their way out of it.

I guess it's just difference of culture. If a rich person did a crime against me that was a minor thing (idk, low speed car collision or was drunk and broke my possession) i'd rather the bribe then months of legal stuff

Well yeah, I suppose so, but insurance would always put you right in that situation. TBH something minor like breaking a possession out of anger would never get charged in the first place (assuming no history).

Yeah but in the states, even if you're not at fault sometimes claiming any insurance thing makes them charge you more.

I actually did a review for this movie if you want to see my opinion, but I loved the movie. Not as much as the original, but it was really good.

My review: https://youtu.be/Af_6eLTA_ZM

It was fine but it had the same problem that Zootopia had: no kids in the theatre. Instead, there was this big ass group of people all dressed in bear costumes. We're talking high end stuff, a few guys even said they were wearing the official Country Bears costumes from the 2002 movie. It wasn't so bad... until Padding ton actually appeared on screen. They would release a terrifyingly loud moan and toss marmalade everywhere. They'd only do it if it was only him, not counting background characters. One scene in particular, can't remember which, got people really riled up and they were dumping it all over themselves. They were gentle though and were careful not to get any of that sweet, sticky nectar on my furless skin. When it was finished, they sang the "bear song" which was basically incoherent "roaring". When the credits finished they cried and I cried too. I've gained a large amount of respect for those people and their culture since that fateful night. Maybe one day our paths will cross again at the premier of Paddington 3, and hopefully, Country Bears 2: The Black Hose.

All in all, pretty good, 9/10.

7 points · 5 months ago · edited 5 months ago

I meet a similar group at The Shape of Water, they threw tuna cans everytime the fishman came on screen and towards the end were chanting "Shamu dick best dick!".I think it's a reference to that documentary which made me think that they must be Greenpeace or something like that.

Some of them tried to get me to sign some #BlueLivesMatter.I was going to sign cause I respect accop's right to beat black people, but this is about giving sardines the right to vote and I was like "the fuck?". It was a tad bit rude I feel, but whatever.

Some lady behind me dressed as a literary allusion to Moby Dick was giving head to some guy(dressed as Merman from He-man) and shouting I HEART SEAMEN every 5 minutes or so. It's nice to support the Navy like that but it's a distracting as hell.

I didn't see that though but grandma told me on the way back.

where the fuck is your theater, because I want in on this.

New pasta

Did Paddington forget about his convict friends? WHAT HAPPENED TO THEM?

They got pardoned, it was shown on a newspaper during the credits montage.

Changed men

You know that the movie is a good one when I sit here and read the comments, and tear up as each scene is discussed and my mind brings my heart back to that those moments.

so glad im not alone in doing this hahaha

I want to watch this. Knew nothing about this at all. Is the first one worth a watch? Mainly watching this because the 100% RT has me curious. Do I need to watch the first one in order to appreciate this?

You don't have to watch the 1st one to understand this one, but the 1st one is very good so it wouldn't hurt.

It would help but it's not essential. It's about a talking bear from Peru that likes marmalade and lives with an English family.

I really enjoyed Paddington 2! My boyfriend and I saw the trailer for it before we saw Murder On The Orient Express and I thought it looked good, but we hadn't seen the first one - but it's on Netflix! So we watched the first one a couple of weeks ago and loved it, so we knew we'd have to see Paddington 2. I love how beautifully shot the film is and the plot was quite wonderful, almost better than the first one.

It was interesting though, as a 21 year old woman, to note how flat the reaction was from children in the cinema. I think the humour in these films just isn't directed at kids, as I don't recall there being any big laughs from the children around us. That's not necessarily a bad thing, and it's also interesting because since Paddington is such an old character I think there's a lot of appreciation for older generations who grew up with his books. But it was interesting to see a typically children's film to be not so... kid friendly? It's not that humour was inappropriate for kids, but more just the jokes were mature in a way that just can't break through to a kid. Hugh Grant's character, for example. I found him hilarious and wonderful, but none of the kids in the cinema really laughed at him. I suppose to him he was just pure evil, ha. But nonetheless, it's definitely not your typical kid's film, in my opinion.

I was recommending this film to all my mates at work, so hopefully some people take me up on it because I think it was delightful!

I gotta watch this later. You can't ignore the high praises the movie has been getting.

Paddington rulz ok
Original Poster40 points · 6 months ago

The shot of Brendan Gleeson eating a marmalade sandwich should be in a musuem.

This movie was a total masterpiece.

jam-gasm

Happy birthday Aunt Lucy

This was a serious masterpiece. So tightly written. So entertaining. So wholesome.

Took my mother to watch it, shes a bit of a traditionalist, loved the books, not a fan of most adaptions.

I noticed her crying towards to the end when Paddington was trapped.

So ya, its a darn good film.

Comment deleted6 months ago(1 child)

This thread has 'spoilers' in the title.

55 points · 6 months ago · edited 6 months ago

The release of Paddington 2 is a bigger deal to me than the next installment of Star Wars or Marvel or what have you. Even though I am a grown man, Paddington is my favorite movie. I was cautious about spoilers for months and wore my duffle coat to an late night showing the night before release day in the US. I am happy to report that I loved Paddington 2 even with all that anticipation.

Paddington 2 continues the same standard of excellence set by its predecessor for rich visuals, character animation, and clever wit. Generally speaking, the movie is a colorful feast for the eyes with neat uses of animation and effects throughout. The pop-up sequence in the beginning is marvelous. There is broad and subtle humor in abundance, and it is evident that filmmakers have mastery of both. Rather than go through every gag I liked, suffice it to say that every joke landed for me; there is just so much good comic material. Some highlights that immediately come to mind are the marmalade making scene, Paddington's mishap in the barbershop, and the hilarious mid-credits musical number.

I continue to be impressed by how well Paddington is animated. The character animators succeeded yet again at making Paddington cute, funny, and sympathetic. For that matter, all of the bears are well animated and seamlessly composited into the live action footage. Once again Ben Whishaw is perfect as Paddington's voice. He was a great find back when Colin Firth dropped out of the first movie. Whishaw is so good it feels like should have been in that role from the get-go; I can't imagine a better voice for Paddington. High marks also for the other actors, especially Hugh Grant who expertly walks that line between menace and comedy just like Nicole Kidman did in the first one.

This sequel is even more of a tearjerker than the first movie. I sobbed during Paddington's arrival at prison and the silent underwater goodbye between Mrs. Brown and Paddington when they briefly resign themselves to his fate before reinforcements arrive to help rescue him in the nick of time. A few other scenes also made me tear up. With all the comedy and the melancholy, it is quite the emotional roller coaster, in a good way.

Of course, I got all choked up again for the ending, but those were happy tears. What a perfect ending it is. I thought it was a good choice to end the film right there on a tender note rather than trying to tack on an additional peppy scene.

And finally, the music. The soundtrack has already taken up residence in my regular listening rotation where it is sure to stay, just like that of the first movie. The return of the diegetic calypso band was not unexpected but certainly welcome, with a new set of tunes I thoroughly enjoyed.

Now there are two movies I call my favorite, and they both star a darling little bear from Darkest Peru. Paddington 2 is as good a sequel as I could have asked for. Heartwarming, wholesome fun. Just perfect. 10 jars of marmalade out of 10.

Agreed that it was a tearjerker! My boyfriend and I were in tears at the start when Aunt Lucy was saving Paddington, when Paddington thought the Browns weren't coming to visit, and when it seemed like he was going to drown. So heartbreaking!

5 points · 6 months ago · edited 6 months ago

Indeed, my heart ached for Paddington when he was feeling abandoned after the Browns accidentally missed their monthly visit. The sequence that shows the cell transforming into the jungle when Paddington dreams of Darkest Peru is one of the film's most visually spellbinding moments. The scenes in which Paddington was arrested and in which Phoenix Buchanan was quite rough with him on the train after snatching him away from Mrs. Brown also got to me.

Your reply reminded me that I forgot to mention how adorable Baby Paddington was in my first post.

RemindMe! 2 months

i'll try but no promises.

Such a wonderful film. I thought it was better than the first, and the first one is already outstanding. The ending is so beautiful.

I bawled throughout. It's such a wonderful antidote to all the unpleasantness of the outside world.

I love this movie. As Mark Kermode says: it nods to "It's a Wonderful Life" in that little acts of decency can have a tremendous difference to the lives of others. While this film has beautiful charm underneath the surface it was so funny. I laughed for every minute. What a complete and utter joy it was. The world feels a little bit of a better place with this delightful film

r/Movies Veteran

I love the way Ben Whishaw says "Aunt Lucy."

r/Movies Veteran

Also how Gleeson said marmalade and bonhomie

Aren't loo-see

do I need to see the first Paddington movie before I watch this?

Probably not but you should anyway it's an excellent film.

r/Movies Veteran

No. It works perfectly as a standalone. That said, there are some neat callbacks to the first movie that could enhance your viewing experience of the second one.

I wouldn't say so - just know that a bear from Peru moved to London and now lives with a family. Just go - you won't regret it. Riproaringly great time

a bear from Darkest Peru

An Illegal immigrant bear from Darkest Peru

I really enjoyed it. The visual elements were pretty cool and I liked the characters and overarching plot. I think the best part were the characters, who were all well developed.

Good heart warming movie. Kept my interest the whole way through. And god damnit Paddington is just so damn likeable.

And I totally thought it was going to revolve around the whole OMG A TALKING BEAR WE MUST HAVE HIM plot line. Glad they did a whole other plot.

Very down for a third.

This was 10/10 absolute perfection! The characters are well-rounded, likeable, and memorable; every story element was set up and paid off (yoga anyone?); it has heart and fantastic jokes; the technical side was well done and imaginative. I loved this SO much!

My favorite film of last year without a shadow of a doubt. It is a relative masterpiece. Technically stunning. Shot beautifully. Superb acting (Huge Grant especially) and one of the nicest most simple plots in modern cinema. I urge everyone to watch this movie (and the first) as it will make you feel like a kid again. I was also crying my eyes out at the end because it ended perfectly!

Only negative when Paddington was locked in the train car as it sinks...that was a little harrowing given the nature of the film

/u/ExamplePip

Especially considering what happened in the prologue.

Holy shit I didn't realise Paddington 2 was a good film

It's one of the great films.

I watched it last year, but I don't suppose it's wrong to express my thoughts about the movie. It's not like it has intricate twists and turns, but what Paddington 2 has is charm. Lots and lots of it.

It made me laugh so hard when the guard from the first film showed back up and get fooled again by a man in disguise

r/Movies Veteran

STOP THAT STUNNING SISTER!

15 points · 5 months ago · edited 5 months ago

Dude has a thing for men dressed as old women.

Probably jerks off to Mrs Doubtfire in his off time

He also co-wrote this film, his name is Simon Farnaby and is also known for appearing in Horrible Histories.

1 point · 6 months ago · edited 6 months ago

He's also credited as a writer for Paddington 2

EDIT: I fucked up.

Just checked the first film's credits, it says it was written by Paul King and Hamish McColl.

r/Movies Veteran

Yeah I messed up, turns out he only has a writing credit for the second one. Thanks for the heads up.

You know what's the best part about this movie? It's not R rated so I was not forced to watch that cringy 50 shades trailer again.

Jokes aside, this movie is great. There are some spiritual Wes Anderson in it when they are jailbreaking, and also some Shape of Water, both in a good way.

Reminded me of Fantastic Mr. Fox, which I love as well.

Everything about the jail made me think of Wes Anderson, especially that scene you mentioned. Characters in those types of shots in Wes Anderson movies have a particular way of walking, which was evoked in this movie.

1 point · 6 months ago

That trailer is so cringy.

Can you please stop talking about my movie trailer like I'm not in the thread?

Both the first and the seconds honestly gave me Wes Anderson vibes, especially the cut out "dollhouse" sequences that he's so famous for. And I can't imagine the pink jail uniforms being inspired by anything else than the Grand Budapest Hotel

Comment deleted6 months ago(2 children)

I just wanted to drop by to say that Sally Hawkins is an absolute treasure, in everything she appears in.

I just wish she had more screentime in this.

Happy cake day

I'm really excited to see this movie. It's amazing how far we've come training animals to successfully act. When I was coming up in the world I could barely get my Lucky to sit for a treat. Now they have bears starring in major motion pictures.

• Walter

This movie is brilliant. Like the artistic choices they made with the cinematography is what you’d expect from a Wes Anderson film. People will downvote me for saying that, but they were definitely inspired by Grand Budapest Hotel

Only downside is Richard Ayoade was criminally under utiliIed

Loved this one just as much as the first one. The last scene before the credits I could hear people around me sobbing (me and my daughter included). I don't want to give it away but you knew what was coming and the tears came anyways

It really speaks to the film that you know what's going to happen but it is so beautifully done that it is still great.

This movie had some fantastic cinematography. Just about every seen looked fantastic and incredibly easy to follow. My kids and I had a blast.

This was such a good and pure movie. I absolutely loved the scene with Paddington and his aunt Lucy traveling around the pop-up book pages, that was incredibly animated. Brendan Gleeson absolutely killed it, as did Hugh Grant and really just the whole cast. I left this movie feeling a little better about the world. If more people were like Paddington Bear the world would be a better place :')

The pop-up animation style is also a nod to the TV series made decades ago (an example).

Wow, I had no idea. That's so cool and adorable!

Here's the scene if u wanna relive it. It brings a tear to my eye every time I watch it https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xd82DD4aO9w

Now I'm not very familiar with the Paddington lore so I can probably see this without seeing the first one?

Watch the first one first, it is on Netflix. I would say it is almost a much watch before Paddington 2 despite the second one, I would imagine working well as a stand alone. A lot of the emotions won't be as powerful without having seen it.

Yeah, it does work well as a standalone sequel. First one is definitely worth watching, though.

That's definitely on the agenda!

It's like Toy Story and Toy Story 2. If you just watch 2, you get a great story of the toys banding together, but there's more to be had if you'd seen the story of Woody getting over being a jealous bitch against Buzz and Buzz realizing he's just a toy.

4 points · 6 months ago(5 children)

I think the closest to that would be The Iron Giant, but then the end sequence does tease him regenerating.

Comment deleted6 months ago(0 children)

Sorry, I'm not very familiar with Discussions in this subreddit. I just assumed from the title that since it says [SPOILERS] I wouldn't have to tag anything here.

It doesn't really happen permanently, but it does happen temporarily in WALL-E, Tangled, and Frozen.

Does the Hunchback die at the end? Haven't seen that movie in a pretty long time though.

when ever a movie gets such a high rotten tomatoes rating like that, i always have a suspecting feeling that everyone is being sarcastic

I left the film with butterflies in my tummy. It's a fantastic film for young and old people. I worked at a theater when the first film came out in 2014. I had a lady around 30 taking her mother to the movies, the film they were going to see was sold out. I strongly suggested Paddington to her and I promised her it wasn't just a kid movie and it's a beautiful film. They both came out of the film and approached me afterwards and said "It was the cutest film they've ever seen." I'd strongly recommend watching the first one since it's on Netflix and basically you'll almost instantly want to see the second one.

I agree. When I watched the first one and I immediately googled "Paddington 2" after, to find out when it was going to be released.

Happy Birthday!

Comment deleted6 months ago(8 children)
-5 points · 6 months ago(0 children)

A perfect game in baseball is a masterpiece. OK Computer is a masterpiece. A well-written piece of legislation is a masterpiece. A beautifully-designed car is a masterpiece.

Citizen Kane is a masterpiece, and there is room in the canon for other films to be recognized for their greatness, and not every one has to aim as high as Citizen Kane, or The Godfather, or Fantasia.

Cant wait for the Top 100 of All Time from that person!

What's yours?

I have a website, so do my daughters, with them listed, no Paddingtons though so probably not enough eclectic Masterpieces for you. Again just want to stipulate that Paddington is good, and Masterpiece is a pretty specific word to be put out there, that's all. Next time maybe use ""Magnum Opus""?

I could maybe use Masterpiece for 5 films. Field of Dreams, Lawrence of Arabia, Schindlers List, The Godfather and Wizard of Oz. I tend to use the word to reflect that directors work, the best that person can produce... I suppose with Spielberg still active he could always top Schindlers... 4 of those 5 aren't in my top 10 favorites either.

Comment deleted6 months ago(0 children)

Paddinton = 2001

It was whimsical and cute and a really sweet movie.

I teared up towards the end..... God, I loved this wonderful masterpiece...

I realize it isn't a live stickied thread anymore, but there's explicitly some post movie scenes, so it should be marked "yes" for credit scenes

Paddington rulz ok
Original Poster5 points · 6 months ago

Fixed

Thanks

29 points · 6 months ago · edited 6 months ago

I had just seen the first Paddington the other night, wanting a feel good movie on the evening of my birthday. I'd seen a discussion here this week recommending it, and I wouldn't have seen it otherwise. I loved it, and on a whim went to see 2 first thing this morning.

I left the theater with happy tears.

Honestly, they both have that sort of charm that makes me think of Muppet movies. I loved both.

My wife and I both started crying literally in the first scene haha. And again during the pop-up book sequence, and ESPECIALLY at the end with Aunt Lucy. God I loved that movie. So good to have a few hours in a world that's pure and full of hope.

We started crying at the first scene too! The caption 'A few bear years ago...' we both just started smiling like idiots and tearing up already.

That pop-up book sequence was gorgeous.

I love that it has those visually impressive sequences like the pop-up book and the diorama of the prison slicing open to show the escape. It's the kind of magic you'd think would be easily doable in animation and very difficult for live action, and yet they made it look so easy.

I still feel really happy thinking about it a day later. I can't recall another movie that's had that effect in a while.

i just left the theater. I cried so much

It was so good! I saw it alone because no one in my friend group has been introduced to the amazingness of Paddington. But I kind of want to drag some friends as an excuse to see it again.

I've tried convincing people how great of a film it is. Only one of my friends has watched it and he texted me afterwards talking about how much he loves Paddington.

I'm curious if you have other feel good movie recommendations? I honestly can't remember the last time I cried out of happiness, but it was a good feeling.

Just jumping in here to recommend the recent(ish) adaptation of The Little Prince - it might be on Netflix in the US, it is in the UK. It's also a very wholesome kids film, but it's a shade darker with more pathos than Paddington. Still got me going.

1 point · 6 months ago · edited 6 months ago

I haven't seen it yet, so I'll have to look it up and see if it's on Netflix tonight. Thanks!

Edit It was actually a Netflix Original movie, and it was my evening movie tonight. It gave a lot to ponder, and I liked the message -- not to say that we shouldn't focus on our lives, but that we shouldn't forget our childhood curiosity. It did work me up in a few spots. Good find!

2 points · 6 months ago · edited 6 months ago

I can't think of any other movie that has affected me as deeply as the paddington movies...they're very special. I think the closest things that have gotten me to being that emotional have been Thai Life Insurance Commercials:

Shaun the Sheep was another great film, had a lot of awkward situations like Paddington. There very little to any voice acting out it’s still a great film.

Big Hero 6 is another good one, the first half of the movie is fantastic. It gets kinda less fun because they start to focus on other characters and it becomes almost an Avengers like theme but it’s still enjoyable. Can’t say there is a lot of films as happy and positive feeling as this Paddington.

I noticed that all the previews before the movie started had fart and butt jokes. I rolled my eyes every time thinking what have children’s movies come to nowadays? But both Paddington films are great examples of what a child’s film can accomplish. Such fantastic films.

Early Man was the only good trailer in a sea of bad

God, watching the trailer for Isle of Dogs and then seeing the trailer for Peter Rabbit is so jarring in quality that it physically hurt.

I'm only going to give Peter Rabbit a chance because Domhnall Gleeson usually picks decent projects, and with the Movie Pass it doesn't hurt as much to give movies a shot when I'm on the fence about quality. It does look like his father picked the better children's movie though. Brendan Gleeson was outstanding as Nuckles!

It was torture sitting through all of the awful trailers for kids movies before watching Coco. On the plus side, it made the tremendous gap in quality between Pixar/Disney's best and whatever terrible tripe studios pump out for kids.

I'm shocked to see that Paddington 2 is in the former category. It's rare that a kid's film, especially a live-action one, is this good.

I don't think there are ANY fart jokes in Paddington 2 (although Joanna Lumley says "Nice buns" a couple times, which is kinda a butt joke).

Really nice buns 😉

The barber shop scene was a standout for me in that it felt like a routine that would happen in a Bugs Bunny or Tom and Jerry cartoon, but very much looked real.

Or a Final Destination movie.

1 more reply

Violation of Reddit self-promotion rules
Hatespeech
Ambiguous titles/Clickbait
Spam - Promotion of a website/link over and over
Flame war - Crosses the line of civility
Possible subreddit brigading
TV ad/TV spot masquerading as a "clip"/"trailer"
Extraneous Comic Book Movie submission