Posted by
Paddington rulz ok
6 months ago
ArchivedModerator of r/movies

Official Discussion: Proud Mary [SPOILERS]

Poll

If you've seen the film, please rate it at this poll.

If you haven't seen the film but would like to see the result of the poll click here.

Rankings

Click here to see rankings for 2018 films

Click here to see rankings for every poll done

Summary:

Mary is a successful hitwoman working for an organized crime family in Boston. However, her life is completely shifted when she meets a young boy whose path she crosses when a professional hit goes wrong and she leaves the boy orphaned.

Director: Babak Najafi

Writers: screenplay by Steve Antin, John Stuart Newman, Christian Swegal

Cast:

• Taraji P. Henson as Mary Goodwin

• Billy Brown as Tom

• Danny Glover as Benny

• Neal McDonough as Walter

• Xander Berkeley

• Margaret Avery as Mina

• Jahi Di’Allo Winston as Danny

Rotten Tomatoes: 27%

Metacritic: 35/100

After Credits Scene? No

Sort by

Ever wonder what it would look like if Tommy Wiseau directed an action movie? This movie is that movie

This actually makes me want to see it.

kinda the opposite with me. when i hear a film is terrible, i usually don't want to see it

What? C'mon the movie wasn't that bad

I really wonder if you and I saw the same movie

It wasn't The Room bad

I respect your opinion and commend you for expressing it thoughtfully

I have to ask how did this shit even get greenlit. Looks like a straight to DVD movie with wooden acting. Like my god did they even hire a firearms instructor to show her to handle firearms shes holding that thing like a foreign alien object.

1-where was the damn Tesla charging station?

2-Who leaves an arsenal unlocked in their apartment while they are a member of a gang?

3-Was Glover just botoxec to near death...his face was a mask?

Tesla? She's driving a Maserati.

Leoesondrea, the unprofessional

Looks like "The Professional" but with more black people and less pedophilic overtones.

Pew pew. I shoot gun. Pew pew. You shoot gun. Bang Bang. We all shoot gun.

As a person living in Boston, the setting was horrible. I had no idea where we were until they mentioned Back Bay (about 6 times in a few minutes), and the park they ate the hotdogs at is a 10 minute drive or an hour walk (over the Charles) from the Public Garden where they bought them.

Danny gets on the T at the Orange Line stop where Chinatown becomes the theater district, but there’s no way Mary was living in Chinatown. They dropped iconic hub neighborhoods just because it anchored them to the setting, but didn’t explain any of the subtleties - someone not from here doesn’t understand why a rich kid would live in JP rather than Dorchester, so why bother the name drops?

Whoever wrote this script has never been to Boston, and watching it at the theater by Fenway, you could pretty much hear everyone in the room become confused. Super weird, and made it hard to get into it at times.

Funny enough, Bostonian movie critic MovieBob found the setting to be authentic.

I've never been to Boston. I only assumed it was Boston after I saw the Boston Wharf Co. sign, but even then, it was just an educated guess. I don't think they ever specifically mentioned Boston by name.

Same here. Thought it was Chicago at first, as I knew it wasn't LA or NYC and Chicago seems to be the third choice for generic action.

Yeah, I knew it wasn't Chicago because I've been there several times, but it makes perfect sense as a guess. It's not like any of the characters really had accents anyway.

There was shitty tense music playing in maybe 83 out of the 90 minutes. One of the only movies I can remember seeing where I felt that the editing was awful. so many cuts between characters having dialogue it was just a joke.

Was there even any scenes where someone wasn't crying?

I haven't seen that many tears outside of a r/NFL thread after a favored team loses a big game.

There was shitty tense music playing in maybe 83 out of the 90 minutes

So it's kinda like Dunkirk?

This reminds me a lot of the Liam Neeson film The Grey. The marketing promised a bad ass fight to the death with wolves but that's not what we got. It's not a bad movie but it wasn't what I was expecting.

I went in hoping for a throwback to the 70s blacksploitation era but I'm not too disappointed that's not what I got (though I still need to scratch that itch)

I enjoyed the movie overall. It feels like to me that it was cut up ALOT. It feels like there should be a scene or two at the beginning of the movie to show how badass Mary is/was, exactly what the family does, and her relationship with the key players. Because as it stands at the beginning of the movie we know that she has guns, wigs, kills people, and also feels guilty for her actions.

It takes close to a half hour before we learn anything about Mary. We learn more about the boy during this time. We don't have to have many more reasons to feel sympathetic for him. At the very least they could have shown what Mary was doing during that year. We don't even find out why she killed the dad until midway through the movie. It feels like it was pulling teeth to get some backstory and details from this movie.

Acting(aside from the boy, he didn't feel that believable) was great. The story wasn't anything special, but it was nice to see a black gangster movie that wasn't a gangsta movie. I was really intrigued with the crime family and I wish the movie gave me more.

There isn't a 70s feel at all to be found in the movie aside from the opening credits and a song during the climax.

Its not terrible, but it isn't the action packed 70s tribute I was hoping for. Overall it's bland and leaves me wanting more, would make a good watch on a weekend when you can't think of anything else. 5/10

The movie is a film school's example of bad editing.

Mary needs to go see Uncle? Well, let's see her start the car, shift, turn some corners, pull up, stop... All set to, as near as I can tell, royalty free music. My god.

The movie should have been wall-to-wall Ike and Tina.

The sheer number of exterior shots of her car was fucking absurd.

Maserati must have paid the entire shooting budget of that 90 minute car commercial.

Her car has more screentime than any one character

Such a terrible movie. The script was awful as well as the acting.

It's just dull. Sony could have promoted this, definitely, this is no worse than Emoji Movie.

You can predict every turn but why bother because it's just that dull.

-19 points · 6 months ago(6 children)

I have seen no comments mentioning the race of any of the characters. Things that have been mentioned:

• The pace

• The editing

• The music

• The acting quality

• The promotion (or total lack of it)

The closest anyone gets to mentioning race is one person who says they wished it was more reminiscent to the tones of an old Blaxploitation movie.

Just because it was 'made by African-Americans for African-Americans' doesn't mean it's good. Maybe black people deserve more than whatever shitty film gets thrown out by Sony. Maybe they deserve an actual quality movie experience.

This is not a decent movie.

Black Dynamite's a black production and it's great. Get Out's a black production and it's fantastic.

This was just bad.

A good movie should be able to appeal to all people.

Well, Tyler Perry movies appeal to all people and those aren't good.

I'm black, I saw this, it's just really boring.

"A good movie should be able to appeal to all people."

No, it shouldn't. Who told you that? Walt Disney?

made for Africans Americans by African Americans.

What does that even mean? Like if I wrote the sentence: 'Lotta racists here! Hating on a decent movie because it's made for WHITE PEOPLE by WHITE PEOPLE!'

How racist is that?

black people make movies for people like them, get over it!

"WHITE PEOPLE by WHITE PEOPLE!'"

you just described 90% of Hollywood movies

I have yet to see this movie but based off the reviews of the posters in here, I won't go see it. I was expecting a Pam Grier style ass kicking movie and from what I'm reading it's nothing but a bad drama. So disappointed.

I felt so misled .... I thought I was about to see the female version of John Wick or something. Nope. Basically only two real action scenes in the whole movie if you can even call it that. What makes it sad is the acting was on point, but everything else about the movie just felt odd. The pacing, the editing was terrible. When you thought a big moment was about to happen, the character did something inexplicably weird. Huge let-down.

If you're looking for "the female version of John Wick" check out Atomic Blonde!

Atomic Blonde's action scenes were surprisingly scarce but it was never disappointing. I didn't expect to be a very wordy action-thriller.

Thanks for the rec, I will!

Atomic Blonde was BETTER than John Wick

I really enjoyed that movie. There was so much style, and I thought there was enough intrigue to keep it interesting.

Honestly the poster is just misleading. It gives the impression of that Pam Grier-Jackie Brown-70's style but it truly looks like a generic action movie with no sense of style.

It was really slow, too. And sad ALL THE TIME.

Hey SONY I know you should feel ashamed for releasing certain movies but out of everything, you decided not to promote “Proud Mary”? If anything you shouldn’t have promoted “The Emoji Movie” last year. It’s always Black Screen Gems films that you decide to not give any focus towards.

This movie only had the one trailer that was attached to nearly every film since July. I can’t play “Proud Mary” by Tina Turner without thinking of this trailer. You only had that one trailer, one cool poster, and a synopsis. They didn’t screen this film for critics nor did SONY release any footage from the movie. Why did they do this? BECAUSE BLACK SCREEN GEMS ARE KNOWN TO DO THIS!

The studio is called Screen Gems which is a subsidiary of Sony, but whenever they release a film geared towards the African American demographic, I call them Black Screen Gems. Only Black people go out to see them, and SONY ends up being very happy in the end despite what critics say. Ever since 2014’s “No Good Deed,” Black Screen Gems have only relied on their audience for money opposed to critic reviews because Black people will practically see anything as long as a Black actor they recognize star in it. They had “Obsessed,” “The Perfect Guy,” “When the Bough Breaks,” the list goes on.

Why can’t I shake the feeling that this was shot in less than 20 days and then reshoots were done in one and were shot with a Canon T3 cameras? In so many scenes where you see Mary sitting at a desk, a Canon camera is just there while you know that it was most likely used whenever their Panavision rental lease was up. There are often occasions where the shots would switch in and out of picture quality in several moments that it's evident that it's done out of filling in missing shots opposed to a stylistic decision.

“Proud Mary” is a lame and cheaply made Black Screen Gems film that won’t probably work for its demographic due to its slow pacing and dull execution. It shows Henson is a great action star but this movie isn’t worthy of her amazingness. And hey Screen Gems/SONY next time when you decide not promote one of your releases make sure it’s for a movie that is actually terrible other than something that is just meh. Save your shitty marketing for a film that deserves your shitty marketing.

FULL REVIEW

If black audiences would stop going, things might change. But not until then.

The problem isn't that people are going into this movie expecting to see John Wick or Atomic Blonde. The problem is that people are expecting this movie to be good, and it's just not. Sure, the trailers sold it as an action movie, a shoot-em-up maybe in the vein of John Wick or The Transporter, maybe with some 70s throwback vibes. But the actual film has few action sequences, and what little action it does have is poorly choreographed, shoddily framed, and badly edited.

So what are we left with? A drama? Cutting from plot point to plot point featuring nothing but cliche dialogue and 90s TV establishing shots, with little character development or narrative tension. The Professional it is not. It can't even qualify as campy or schlock; it's not original enough to be so bad it's good. It's a tepid, basic movie-- just mediocre.

I haven't seen it yet and don't particularly expect it to be good, BUT the trailer basically sold it as an action packed film with no clue as to what the story is about, so to find out it is drama-driven is incredibly misleading. Like why make a trailer all about a small portion of the movie and not give us much info on what it's actually about? Making the decision to see it based on the trailer is guaranteed to leave many disappointed, apparently.

This happens every day in Hollywood. Writer gets a good idea. Rewrites take main idea and run with it - in another direction. Director and editor do their best with what they're given. Studio sees that the movie's not that exciting, so they cut a trailer based on the original good idea and refuse to allow reviews, hoping some people will see it just based on the cast so it doesn't completely tank.

There's nothing special about this movie. It's not because the cast is black (aside from that albino guy from Justified). The producers just didn't ensure a good movie came from the good idea.

3 points · 6 months ago · edited 6 months ago

They just want money: they’re putting as little as possible into the movie and doing limited and misleading promotion so they *can get a big return.

EDIT: Also other reasons...

Comment deleted6 months ago(4 children)
9 points · 6 months ago · edited 6 months ago

This same comment is in The Post discussion. Copy pasta* here folks.

Why that kid judge the movie before watching it?

Because it didn't happen. Basically /r/thathappened material meets /r/writingprompts

god bless you mate, god fucking bless you.

I just think it’s amusing that there was this “outrage” they wouldn’t let critics preview it bc it was an African American lead - when in actuality hey didn’t bc its not that great of a movie. Something they do allllll the time

-1 points · 6 months ago

it is ironic though they wanted a Black Woman empowerment movie. Yet the lead wears wigs and has "white" girl hair. Such empowerment!

I think the outrage is that this movie was shit and that black female lead who did her best with shitty material deserves better. It is like they didn’t even try

The black female lead was a horrible actress

Apparently you can't do stuff that you do all the time when minorties or women are involved.

Comment deleted6 months ago(0 children)

Absolutely awful

11 points · 6 months ago · edited 6 months ago

I want to see the Supercut of Mary not answering her phone. Lol like she was either unreachable or just straight didn't respond the whole movie.

I want to see a supercut of Mary's car. Would probably be half as long as the movie.

Seriously! How many times did we need to see her turn into that parking lot behind her apartment?!

Is it just me, or was she the only one allowed to park her car at that large apartment building?

It was okay. I was entertained. The short run time told me it would not be great.

Was the boy's mother dead? I know she left but did she die later? That kept bugging me.

Saw it yesterday. Count me in as another guy with different expectations. But, even the opening seems to want this.

My biggest issue is that I was expecting it to be more fun, like a poor (wo)man's John Wick but with maybe a tad more humor. Got Black Dynamite/blaxploitation vibes from the TV spots and even opening with "Papa Was A Rolling Stone" playing and instead ...it's a dull crime movie/pseudo-family/love story drama with unlikable/forgettable characters and very forced emotion.

And, the few action scenes are shot in the dark or horribly edited. Song choice felt weird for the climatic battle as well even though it shares the name of the movie (Ike and Tina of course). Don't want to say very disappointed but certainly expected to have more fun.

TRASH

I wanted it to be super badass so I could call it Jiohnne Warwick, but it was just too schlock and pushed along by the soundtrack, which only was really hit or miss.

The last 10 minutes were almost worth it.

I haven't seen it, can someone tell me if it's like a modernized blaxploitation flick? if so then im super excitedd.

No, it isn't. Go watch Black Dynamite.

The problem a lot of your are having is you want it be a different type of movie. I agree the trailer is a bit misleading. And I found that I was wanting to push it towards another version of Leon The Professional which it isn't thankfully. I have issues with the way the film was shot and the lighting and the use of music to drive the dialogue, but then I wasn't making this film. Which I can imagine had a lot of studio interference.

What Proud Mary is is a drama about an assassin Mary(a seemingly tired Taraji. P Henson) raised by a the head of a gang that was her father figure (a mellow Danny Glover) and after not being fully aware of a hit that ended up changing a little boys(newcomer Jahi Di'Allo Winston) life for the worst makes her want to move on and change her life and try to right a wrong. So we get a look at Mary after she has already been a seasoned contract killer and we get a really good scene showing that when Mary and her bosses son and her ex (a bit too angry Billy Brown) decides to retaliate after a hit. So it isn't a fully driven action movie that a lot hoped for but a drama about a woman wanting control and freedom.

Stop trying to make movies about what you want them to be and start enjoying them for what they are. If your only two movies to compare this to are John Wick and Atomic Blonde then you haven't watched enough movies. This movie which has its flaws is still an alright movie to watch and I am not the target demographic, so watch it with out any reservations and you might enjoy the film.

Under utilized in this movie Neil McDonough and Xander Berkeley.

It doesn't matter what this movie was trying to be, it was still complete shit with horrible acting

Under utilized in this movie Neil McDonough

Under utilized is an understatement. I think he had about 1 line the entire movie and two jogging scenes. They sold him as top billing and he was one one the reasons I was looking forward to watching. Very disappointing.

I think their problem isn't that they haven't seen enough movies, it's that I do believe this movie was sold a little as a movie in the vein of John Wick and Atomic Blonde. And I'm glad you cleared that up because I've also been wondering if I should see this movie cause I've also been sold on the idea that it would be like those two other movies.

Even atomic blonde didn't live up to the trailer. It was marketed as female John Wick. But it was much more slow moving and dialogue heavy than a shoot em up action movie.

The movie was very much advertised as being like those movies. I'm glad I checked this section.

Taraji P. Henson and Jahi Di’Allo Winston are excellent. Literally every other aspect of the movie is sub-par. We saw it with MoviePass, and I still feel like I got ripped off.

Wait for Netflix. Or just never see it, it doesn't matter.

-4 points · 6 months ago

We saw it with MoviePass, and I still feel like I got ripped off.

Do you know that you are an ad?

An ad for what

This was a wanna be cool John wick or atomic blonde, but failed.

I don't think it was anything even close though, not even in an attempt to be. It's more a family drama than the action movie the trailers sold it to be.

This brings absolutely nothing new to the table, and the writing and editing are definitely clumsy. That being said, I actually didn't mind this one. Taraji P. Henson is fantastic and the action is surprisingly well-put together.

Wow, reading a lot of criticism here.

The movie definitely won’t win any awards but I had a good time watching it last night.

I thought the soundtrack was really good, particularly the scene where Danny rides the train after stealing Mary’s gun.

I certainly would never have bothered with this film without MoviePass though. Best purchase I’ve made in a long time.

Actually, that card is the only reason I didn't walk out of the movie. If I had paid for the ticket, I would've asked for my money back.

-5 points · 6 months ago(0 children)

So much driving. They could have spent 15 minutes telling us why Mary did what she did, instead of showing us the car all the time. Build some understanding of why she was doing by taking in the kid.

How about that soundtrack? It was pretty much the cookie cutter action movie soundtrack, trying to be like John Wick or something.

That’s fine but I expected this to be a legit modern blaxploitation film. Could’ve had the same story of an aging hitman and such. It needed that (hate to say it) gritty feel to it, I needed just a little bit of their world.

I watched no trailers, I was hit with this by surprise and just decided to watch it. So it may be my fault.. but I hope we get more of these that are a more stylized.

Wew this was bad.

A black female empowerment movie where the black female is objectively the dumbest character in the film.

The writers should hang their heads in embarrassment

The lesson of this movie: got a problem? Just keep killing people until it eventually goes away

No, the mod boss was the dumbest person. IF your best killer wants to leave, let them. When your best killer has you alone, points a gun at you, and says she's out DON'T TELL HER YOU OWN HER

Just let her go.

I think that annoyingly bratty ass kid was the dumbest. But boy Mary does come close.

So essentially the plot of Crocodile from Black Mirror?

If that's the case, I am definitely steering clear.

That's just one episode's plot, and it serves and it has thematic significance to the point of the story.

I know. I've watched the series. I just really did not like Crocodile. You don't have a clever story by ripping off "I know what you did last summer."

They why did you say "definitely steering clear" if you already saw it?

Refering to "Proud Mary".

Ah gotcha

-6 points · 6 months ago(2 children)

Lol how do you write a wall of text on a movie you haven't seen

-9 points · 6 months ago(0 children)

The trailer to this gave me a real 70's vibe.

It only cost 14 million to make so it might turn a nice profit though.

Absolutely awful.

Taraji P. Henson deserves so much better than this. If you wanna see her be tough and badass, I would recommend watching Person Of Interest.

Hell, even her part in Smoking Aces was better than this.

Smokin' Aces was awesome

Was she the sniper or the fake hooker in that one?

She was the sniper, yes indeed

Smokin' Aces is fun as hell. It's like a roided up Tarantino movie.

I wish this was better, but it was pretty lackluster. Taraji was the only highlight for me. It's rare we get an action movie with a black female lead, which is why I wanted this to be good. That's why films like Black Panther are so important.

3.5/10

Didn't Kidnap starring Halle Berry come out this past August?

Who can forget Catwoman.

Yup, but it was probably even worse than this movie was

Yeah, Kidnap was really bad. Terrible editing, terrible dialogue, terrible cinematography... even Berry's performance sucked (although the bad writing and direction are more to blame for that).

Kidnap is literally a straight to dvd movie like 47 Meters Down that got bought out by an indie distributor who gave it a wide release to try make money. In both cases it worked.

I could not stop laughing when I saw the trailer for this. It screamed Blackploitation. But not fun like Shaft or others from the 70 and 80. This just took itself too seriously when it would have been better as a parody. It's pretty bad that Louis CK made a better movie with Pootie Tang. Yeah I know reddit hates him right now but you can't deny that Pootie Tang was better than this.

I don't know that "reddit hates him" is a good summation of, uh, the Louis CK incidents.

It's more like learning your funny uncle is a huge creep.

Wanna have your mind blown? The DP on this thing is also the man who shot The Shape of Water and John Wick Chapter 2. I shit you not.

Reminds me of how the DP on Dances with Wolves ended up being the DP on Paul Blart Mall Cop 2.

And Emmanuel Lubezki, who has won 3 Oscars and did The Tree of Life, was also the DP of The Cat in the Hat.

The Cat in the Hat is an insane looking movie, though. The film itself may not be a masterpiece, but one thing you definitely can't say is "Lubezki didn't create an appropriate look and mood in this thing". I think it really speaks to his talent and versatility that he shot something so wildly different from the style that won him the Oscars and still made it visually compelling.

Don’t look up Dean Cundey’s filmography if you don’t want to feel sad.

Man the noughties were rough for that guy

The Cat in the Hat was his magnum opus

Guess he just took it easy here lol

40 points · 6 months ago · edited 6 months ago

Quite amazing considering that - with the exception of some shots - the cinematography was not very good.

The scene with Danny Glover in his office at the end was lit terribly. Sometimes you couldn't see his face...and it's broad daylight!

As for the movie... it's disappointing. Not the super dud that Screen Gems seem to think it is by hiding the film from critics but nevertheless, it's mediocre.

The whole 70s vibe at the opening credits seems like last minute re-edit after the studio liked the style of the trailer. Aside from a shot of Danny Glover standing next to an Issac Hayes picture, the 70s motif is nonexistent.

Back to the editing aspect, Proud Mary seems like another one of those films that was chopped up by the studios at the last minute to make it short and theaters can play numerous showtimes regardless of structure, flow, and story.

Oh yeah...the song plays during the climax, but it just starts randomly. There's no build up, it plays because...well, the character's name is Mary and this is the big showdown. The movie doesn't even have the tongue in cheek factor or high energy (like Baby Driver) to make the song really work.

Taraji P. Henson is good, and the chemistry with the kid makes for some entertaining bits. However, the action isn't exciting and it's even dull in some cases.

If a sequel is made, let's hope it will have a better script, editor, director and a bigger budget.

I haven't watched it, but my first impression of it was from a poster my friend and I saw at the theater. Very stylish '70s theme with Taraji P. Henson with top billing. We were both really intrigued by the look of it, and Proud Mary sounds like one of those old blaxploitation flicks from the '70s. So we looked up the trailer, and it looked dull as hell. All modern without even a hint of what the poster promised. Very disappointing.

Comment deleted6 months ago(1 child)
Evil Studio Shill

And the writer. And producers.

Who are we supposed to be rooting for in this movie? It certainty shouldn't be Mary, who kills someone she shouldn't, and then kills a member of her own gang who did nothing wrong to cover her tracks. Are we supposed to be rooting for Danny to end up with Mary as his adopted mother, a woman who killed his father and continuously puts him in life threatening situations?

All of the relationships were so underdeveloped. Mary and Tom had no chemistry despite having previously dated and was such an inconsequential thing to include; it goes no where. Was Mary thankful that Benny took her in and trained her to be a hitwoman? She says that she is, but when Benny says he wants Mary to train Danny like he trained her, she gets mad and kills him.

The action sequences weren't impressive at all. Up until like the final 10 minutes, almost all of Mary's kills were against someone who was unarmed or didn't see her. Taraji gave a good performance, I love the way she says asshole, and thankfully it isn't very long.

4/10

Felt really weird too and rushed with Mary's desire to get out of the business. She seemed to have no issue with being a hitwoman until midway through. There was little shown that indicated she'd been thinking about this, but the minute Danny comes around, she needs to leave.

After the first hit in the beginning of the movie she doesn't seem so bad ass. She looks terrified after killing uncle and his thugs, she blinks every time she shoots in the beginning. She looked very frazzled after she killed the guy under the bridge.

She doesn't seem the bad ass killer I was expecting until she's working with Tom and not fully until the climax.

The only adequate descriptor for the editing in this thing is "nightmarish."

Seriously, action that's cut to hell and back is at least something to be reluctantly expected, but this was something else. There were multiple instances where there would be a simple conversational shot/reverse-shot setup and the movie would cut back and forth between the two characters at a rate of literally three times a second. Utterly bewildering.

I’ve never seen such bad editing in a studio release. The actors deserved so much better. They were not the problem. Movie also had noticeably bad directing and bad lighting. Triple crown razzie for the man who blessed us previously with London Falling.

I’ve never seen such bad editing in a studio release.

Taken 3.

Nothing tops that for me.

4 points · 6 months ago · edited 6 months ago

"I've never seen such bad editing in a film release."

Allow me to present some examples. Here's one from Houseguest (which is amusing IMO). Watch from 2:18 to 5:40

Here's the notorious basketball scene from Catwoman:

Plus an extra: a horribly edited action sequence from Kill Switch.

Worst lighting of 2018 may go to the scene where Glover is talking in front of a window with his back to it, and his whole entire face is pretty much covered by light. How that stays in the movie, I don't know.

35 points · 6 months ago · edited 6 months ago

This has almost every cliche or trope from a hitman or "one more job and I'm out" movie. Taraji P. Henson does give a great performance and is good in the action. The action sequences, while nothing special, are well shot and there isn't any shakey cam. Even though I wish there was at least some hand to hand combat instead of just quick kills. But this is very generic and predictable. The finale was lackluster and felt rush. Also the script did a terrible job setting up the crime syndicates. I only saw it a few hours ago and I can't even remember one name of anyone or any of the organizations. Unlike other films similar to this such as John Wick, there isn't that much time showing this secret life assassins like Mary live in. For such a threat to Mary and the kid, she was able to take them down very quickly.

There are some good spots though. It's a backdoor Color Purple reunion. Sug Avery and Mister back together on screen.

Also it's very 1980s. Shot in the stomach? Jack Daniels will cure it.

Man, they underused Margaret Avery though. Would've like to see more of her and Taraji acting against each other.

Absolutely. Lots of smart things that could have been done with the cast they went for low hanging fruit every time.

It's Saturday... where the hell is the Rotten Tomatoes Critic Score?

Edit: 27%

It was okay or a little worse than okay. It's not smart enough or dumb enough to be fun or emotionally engaging. It had opportunities to be interesting and clever but chooses to play it straight every time.

This is only the second action movie lead by a woman of color that I can remember in my lifetime.

I applaud this movie for existing but I wish it was better

-8 points · 6 months ago(3 children)

Nope, nothing even close to similar unless your basis for comparison is just woman holds a gun for a while in a movie.

No. No. No. It is not Atomic Black. It is something very different. It is as one reviewer, Ira Madison III, noted a family drama with a couple of action set pieces.

-1 points · 6 months ago

Yes, it is a blaxploitation film.

No one is going to see this.

Its been very popular at the theater I work at. Could just be because its attracts a black audience, those types of movies are always sold out. Sucks too because the theaters are always trashed after a black-targeted movie.

Sucks too because the theaters are always trashed after a black-targeted movie.

why do you think they're trashed after black targeted movies?

My black co-workers told me it was because in some areas of black culture they think that its not there job to do someone else job, that's why they don't throw away their own garbage and and black people tend to not tip as well.

interesting mindset. i guess they have different definitions for responsibility and "someone else's job"

I think you are severely underestimating the black swell of support for this movie. People are organizing viewing parties just to help support the movie. They don't care that it's bad, they just want more movies with black female leads in the future.

15 points · 6 months ago · edited 6 months ago

It's currently projected to make about $18 million this 4-day weekend, which would put it in 3rd-ahead of Paddington 2 (expected at $17 million right now) and The Commuter (expected at $13 million) despite being in fewer theaters than either of those films. The kind of people who generally visit this board aren't going to see it, but never underestimate Taraji P. Henson as a draw

I don't think it's necessarily Taraji, although she is wonderful. I think it's the support its getting from the black community and people who want to support black cinema. It's Thursday previews were also either nixed by the studio or were never running to begin with, so if it made 18 million in three days that would actually be pretty amazing.

Not sure it will hold well, but that's a good opening, especially for an R rated movie

Deadline's updated estimates are far less kind however-$10.9 Million for the 4-day

I honestly think that's a lot more realistic. $18-$20 million opening seemed way too much to ask. Thursday previews were scheduled but were apparently pulled last minuite according to several film critics. People were turning up for showings that weren't actually available.

So Proud Mary only gets 3-days worth of box office, and with the bad reviews, $10 million sounds about right. Which still puts it around the figures for Liam Neeson's new action movie, and $4 mill from making back its budget, so I think it'll be fine still. Could have been way worse.

My whole family wanted to see it tonight in Dallas, we have a ton of theaters near us, an Alamo, 2 SMGs, 2 Cinemarks (one the flagship, the other the highest occupancy Cinemark in the country), 2 AMCs, a Look, and a few smaller places and apparently they couldn't get tickets for the movie at any of them :/

This was the opposite for me. I went with a few family members around 5 today. There was only around 20 other audience members at my showing. The theater I went to usually gets very crowded around that time.

Far from perfect, but a fun actioneer with some heart, some good setpieces and a kickass performance from Taraji P. Henson. Don't go in expecting Bourne or anything, but for a low budget action film in early january, this is pretty good.

My ticket price is the same regardless of how much the movie costs to make.

Good acting can never and will never carry a bad script

We saw it with movie passes. Price is now irrelevant to me.

Nice try , Taraji P. Henson

Violation of Reddit self-promotion rules
Hatespeech
Ambiguous titles/Clickbait
Spam - Promotion of a website/link over and over
Flame war - Crosses the line of civility
Possible subreddit brigading
TV ad/TV spot masquerading as a "clip"/"trailer"
Extraneous Comic Book Movie submission