Archived

What are your thoughts on Meraki?

Hello,

We are in the process of choosing a solution for small branches (1-6 users). We want the ability to do URL Filtering, Wireless, VPN, and IPS. After doing some research, we came across the Meraki MX64W (previously the MX60W).

Have any of you deployed these devices? If so, what was your experience?

I've heard about people having issues with the healing capabilites of the Auto VPN feature. Also heard of throughout concerns. Looking for some more feedback.

Thanks in advance!

EDIT: Thanks for all the replies and insight! Much appreciated.

47 points · 3 years ago

From an earlier Meraki-thread:

Here's the problem with Meraki and why I will never buy nor recommend them:

If your licensing expires, your network is dead. Not unsupported, not "you're using this illegally right now", it's non-functional.

Fuck that.

30 points · 3 years ago

From the Meraki Licensing FAQ:

Q: What happens when my license runs out?

A: You can purchase a renewal through an authorized Meraki partner. If you chose not to renew, you will no longer be able to manage your devices via the Meraki cloud, and your Meraki network devices will cease to function. This means that you will no longer be able to configure or make changes to your Meraki network equipment, and your Meraki network products will no longer allow traffic to pass to the Internet.

Subject-matter expert
7 points · 3 years ago · edited 3 years ago

THIS!!

I had previously done a bunch of Meraki deployments, and frankly the fact that the devices don't function at all without a license is ridiculous. The hardware isn't bad, and the configuration is mostly good, a few years ago I would probably have recommended Meraki for some people.

Simple fact is, when comparing to something like Ubiquiti, Meraki makes NO sense. With Ubiquiti UniFi you can set up your own cloud controller (in your data center, on EC2, or even just on your laptop) and I have never had an issue with it. The configuration is just as intuitive as Meraki, and the software is FREE.

Does the whole "managed cloud config" provide any support value? What I mean is, could any old guy down at Fry's electronics, pick one up off the shelf (assuming fry's is a reseller) take one back and manage to get it installed with meraki support? I have not looked at the product too much, but the way my sales people keep talking about it, this is the idea I get from it. Having said that, I also always assume sales does not know what they are talking about.

Yes, Support is included with any license and they are super easy to get on the phone.

Subject-matter expert
2 points · 3 years ago

In all fairness the way you described it is pretty accurate, the initial setup on Meraki is very very easy. You basically go to the Meraki dashboard website and follow a wizard. That said this isn't the type of equipment you pick up at your local Fry's.

I guess there is some "support value" in the sense that Meraki could configure the entire AP for you and the only thing you need to do is provide them the MAC address and plug it into the Internet. If one needs Meraki to hold their hand for something like this they should probably consider additional training or another career though.

Security Engineer
2 points · 3 years ago

Hell, a teenager who "likes computers" could set up a Meraki wireless network coherently.

8 points · 3 years ago · edited 3 years ago

This is the answer right here.

I have a conceptual problem with relying on a 3rd party service to make my internal network operate. I have an even bigger problem with the idea of losing my internal network because I didn't pay a fee.

Yes I know they bug you, and give you a grace period, and make every effort to not just shut you off. That's not the point.

The point is that you're creating a system that relies on someone else, when there isn't a good reason to do so.

Now if you're managing dozens of sites, I'm sure it's convenient. But I think CradlePoint (the guys who make the 4g cellular routers) have a much better model- You can manage it all remotely with their cloud system, but if you don't pay the license, it will keep doing exactly what it's doing and you can manage it with the local web UI. You just don't get support or updates and their cloud management portal goes away.

K12 Infrastructure Focused
30 points · 3 years ago

Well... the good reason to do so is that a $40k employee can now completely manage a network that previously only an $80k employee could make basic changes to. You also get end to end monitoring, failover internet connections, netflow, quick packet captures at various locations, site to site vpns, and so on set up with literally no additional configuration.

It's not only convenient, it's so convenient that I'm not sure why anybody with lots of sites would bother trying to use typical Cisco routers (if not doing advanced routing and QoS). In the retail industry you could run a 50 store chain with 1-2 CCNA level FTEs if you had end to end Meraki gear.

You were going to be buying a service contract on those devices anyways. Turns out saying "Meraki will turn off all of our shit" is a great way to make sure those contracts stay current with minimal friction.

I have a feeling that a lot of the Meraki licensing paranoia around here is related to the fact that it devalues a lot of the core skills of network engineers...

VAR / CCNP / Wireless Consultant
16 points · 3 years ago

This guy gets it.

The MX600 (required for a 1G ipsec throughput) costs 20K or so and has a 17K/year license fee. Replacing an ASR1000 router that might cost $35-40K all in + 4000/year for maintenence... if you do a cash flow analysis, it does not look positive in my favor.

Even more than that, the root of the problem is that there's a false choice being presented here. Can we reduce the need for high priced staff? Sure, probably, but it's not Meraki or CCIE, with no in between.

You can get the same results (cloud control, easier management, etc...) with other similar solutions w/o the annual mandatory license- Aerohive or Ruckus come to mind. Both offer onsite (licensed) virtual management stations, so if you want to do a one time investment, you can.

And the thing is: You know what? Meraki wireless isn't significantly (or at all!) cheaper than Aerohive or Ruckus, AND you get the option of not paying for maintenence on the access points if that's the way you want to go down the road.

At the end of the day, the whole point of a subscription model for the offering company is that they make more money. Keep that in mind when you talk about how people who are skeptical are "paranoid".

Even more than that, the root of the problem is that there's a false choice being presented here. ... it's not Meraki or CCIE, with no in between. You can get the same results (cloud control, easier management, etc...) with other similar solutions

THANK YOU!

It is frustrating how a lot of tech people just refuse to consider any alternatives (especially to Cisco, especially in the SMB space).

When I see operations with ~50-150 seats paying through the nose for Cisco everything, and their tech people act like this is the ONLY valid way to do things, I want to bust out the Cluebat and remind them (as forcefully as necessary) that more than one company makes good networking gear.

Ruckus, Aerohive, Ubiquiti, MikroTik, Netgate/pfSense. None are perfect, but all will get a small to midsize network going much cheaper than either Cisco or Meraki, with far less complexity in management than anything Cisco. But tell this to someone who's paid $thousands for Cisco certs and they don't want to hear it.

And for Cisco vs Meraki- if you need CCIEs to configure Cisco, maybe that's because Cisco makes their interfaces so needlessly un-intuitive so you can't figure them out unless you have a Cisco indoctrination.

There are other options out there people! Open your minds!

As a guy who runs a who lot of Cisco (and has some of those Certs) I agree- you can get simpler stuff than Cisco.

But I also caution "right product for the job"- the KISS principle says that there is more than one deciding factor, not just initial cost. The ability to hire people who can operate the gear is absolutely critical as well- you don't want to have a highly custom network and have the one guy who understands it leave, and not find anyone who understands it.

In the end I have one rule: there is more than one way to achieve anything and THATS OK

Very true.

If someone said they want to run a datacenter on nothing but pfSense, I'd tell them they're insane.

Although for a smaller network- while there's no shortage of CCNAs around, there's something to be said for intuitive products where anyone with networking knowledge can figure out how to make it do what's needed, rather than a product where a CCNA is required to understand how to program it to do what's needed.

But you're absolutely right, there's lots of ways to do things and that's a good thing. Competition is good, and monocultures are usually bad.

What is the cost of licensing for all of those sites/ap? More than the FTE that could work on other things in addition to the network maintenance?

K12 Infrastructure Focused
6 points · 3 years ago

Nice thing is that they post their list prices publically on the internet too. Partners get the licensing and hardware at a pretty steep discount (30-40%), so you should be able to hit 20% under those prices pretty easy.

For a small retail branch, you use an MR-64W router (has a built in 802.11ac AP) and a Cisco SG300 switch for more wired ports (28 port w/ PoE ~ $550... I think Meraki's switches are really overpriced). The 5 year cost? $2500+tax, fully supported. You can set up all of your VLANs and stuff on the switch and router, then do all of your ACLs to restrict traffic. Then just turn on the tunnel back to your DC and you're done.

I can also do all of the config remotely. All the person on-site needs to do is get the thing online.

Yes I agree with you on all of those points! I am that 50k per year tech with a basic Cisco understanding and can manage a campus network essentially with little help from a higher level engineer. I also love the Small business SG300, also easy to configure and very reliable and fast for the price! We now have a proposal for all new Meraki switches and more APs since our Catalysts have reaches EOL. The MX100 and Meraki WAPs have been a breeze to work with.

CCNP R/S+DC
1 point · 3 years ago

b/c if you didn't have meraki you wouldn't have any support on network gear?

Meraki has one license - cloud, which has support (phone, tac, etc) and cloud controller access.

Our corporate network is based entirely off of Meraki and I have to say, while I was hesitant at first I absolutely love it now. I wouldn't put it on our client-facing network (and it's not!), but it's great for managing employee setups. The Meraki agent has been extremely useful too. Licensing is also reasonable and gives you plenty of warnings before things expire.

CCNA Wireless
5 points · 3 years ago

Do you traditionally choose to not purchase smartnet? How long do you usually leave in network gear?

I feel the licensing is fine for what you get. Hardware replacement, and unlimited software upgrades. The licensing does have value other than just making the gear work.

doesn't touch anything < 1Gbps
3 points · 3 years ago

For our hundreds of Juniper EX2200s and EX3300s we have no support contract. They've got lifetime warranties and free software upgrades as standard. We do have support contracts for the higher-end switch models that don't come under Juniper's lifetime warranty programme.

CCNP R/S+DC
2 points · 3 years ago

Does Juniper's lifetime warranty get you 4 hour replacement?

Config assistance?

Smartnet and Meraki support does, just sayin

Meraki support is nothing to brag about for the cost. I ha e had numerous tickets and no resolution, they simply state "it should just work"

doesn't touch anything < 1Gbps
1 point · 3 years ago

We had the option of 4hr replacement for our Juniper kit if we wanted it but decided that the price wasn't worth it given the resilience we've already built in to our network design.

Are you trying to suggest that Meraki's standard license includes 4hr replacement? Because I don't believe you.

Juniper's standard (free) warranty for its fixed configuration switches is next business day. I think you get 90 days of free tech support but after that you'll have to do some reading.

CCNP R/S+DC
2 points · 3 years ago

Nope, I'm saying your comparing two very different support models.

Free lifetime warranty is for hardware replacement, no phone/email support and in some vendors case no software updates. Also most vendors don't do true 24 hour replacement and even the phone numbers you have to call to start the RMA process aren't open 24-7.

Cisco & Meraki's smartnet/support contracts cover hardware replacement (up to 4 hour on site replacement via courier), config assistance, phone/email/on-site support and t-shoot, software updates, etc.

I'm not saying everybody needs smartnet, much less the 4 hour version, these are business decisions mostly (how much of an impact would that device going down have on the business) but comparing a free lifetime warranty to meraki cloud access and support isn't a good comparison. Each has its place.

doesn't touch anything < 1Gbps
2 points · 3 years ago

/u/Humulus5883 was making the point that Meraki's license cost is not just to stop the kit getting bricked (the "demanding money with menaces" business model) but also to get hardware replacement and software upgrades.

I pointed out that I was getting those services, for free, with Juniper (as you also could with HP and a number of other vendors) and without having to pay any protection money.

You then came along saying that Meraki will offer 4hr replacement (for a price) plus Meraki offers phone support. And now you're saying that I'm comparing two very different models.

Well, yes I suppose I am. On the one hand many vendors will give you free next-day replacement and free software upgrades and the ability to continue using your kit for its expected lifetime. You bought it, you own it. You may need to pay if you need phone support after an initial period although there's no obligation to get that support direct from the manufacturer; you're free to shop around.

By contrast, Meraki makes very sure that you continue to pay them for those services every year (that, remember, you get for free from other vendors) without any real chance of shopping around for a better deal to suit your business requirements. You pay the protection money or you lose your kneecaps network. But you do get phone support thrown in as well which is nice, I guess.

You're right, they're not the same. But I'm rather lost on what the point was that you were actually trying to make.

CCNP R/S+DC
1 point · 3 years ago

Ok, to be clear I'm not trying to start a fight or piss anybody off. I until recently worked for a VAR that sold all of the products you have mentioned so far so I'm familiar with each company, their RMA processes and various support models.

• The point of Meraki gear is limited staff or limited advanced technical staff and central IT management model. There are lots of other models and a large amount of businesses don't want or need the Meraki model. Cisco bought them however because many do. Schools, restaurants and retail do especially well with the Meraki model.

• Yes they require you to pay a support contract to have access to the cloud portal, support, config assistance, (up to 4 hour) hardware replacement and software upgrades.

• Yes there are companies that offer free lifetime hardware replacement

On the one hand many vendors will give you free next-day replacement

I'm rather lost on what the point was that you were actually trying to make.

1. OP asked for thoughts on Meraki

2. /u/Humulus5883 "The licensing does have value other than just making the gear work."

3. You state that hundreds of Juniper hardware under your care (assumed) have no support contract

4. I (confused by why you would respond to /u/Humulus5883's statement about the other included benefits of the meraki support contract) try to point out that there are other aspects of support contracts besides hardware replacement. Letting us know about the Juniper lifetime warranty is not really what this thread was about (OP's question and /u/Humulus5883's Meraki license comment), but thanks for sharing.

TLDR - Meraki isn't for everybody, thats ok there is room enough in the market for more than one support model.

CCNP
2 points · 3 years ago

It's a nice product as long as you know what you are getting into. It's a very popular product for small/medium organizations who can't quite justify and on-site controller, but need the managed features.

CCNP
2 points · 3 years ago

What also happens 3+ years down the road and they said "Your device is no longer supported.. we're not renewing your license?" ...

You RMA the device and they send you the current gen.

CCNP R&S | Wireless
2 points · 3 years ago

I've deployed quite a few for work, very easy to setup/manage for remote sites, however, I will never recommend them for the exact reason you mentioned.

doesn't touch anything < 1Gbps
0 points · 3 years ago

Yup. Meraki has effectively built a remote kill-switch into your critical network infrastructure.

What's stopping them from increasing the support costs by a factor of 10? What happens if their licensing system goes down when it's time to renew? What if they go out of business or get bought by a competitor who decide to kill them off to reduce competition?

network ninja (allegedly)
6 points · 3 years ago

They already got bought by a competitor, and it only made them stronger. Cisco was getting trounced by Meraki in the small business space. I highly doubt Cisco is letting them go anytime soon.

I can confidently say that the Meraki gear is making the Cisco Aironet sales more difficult. But that said, both type of APs aren't targeting the same organizations.

Certain large businesses will require the power and flexibility of a fleet of managed Cisco APs, and will have a CCIE on payroll to manage it as part of the network.

Meraki customers on the other hands want something that is centrally manageable by someone with more basic networking skills, and that costs half of the price.

But again, this type of argument ("what makes you say they won't raise their prices by 10x" is BS. Why would they ? 1) they are profitable as they are, and 2) it'd be suicide b/c there's plenty of competition out there and they would get trounced if they tried.

As I wrote in an earlier post, this comes down to the total cost of ownership, and for those who understand business talk, OpEx vs CapEx. Meraki is mostly relevant in the commercial sector where margins are slim all around and TCO and ROI are king.

doesn't touch anything < 1Gbps
2 points · 3 years ago

A 10x uplift in ongoing license costs are, I admit, unlikely. But increases of, say, 20% per year are not. There are copious examples of such business behaviour across the IT industry.

If I've got (say) Ubiquiti kit installed and Ubiquiti or its reseller decides to bump up their support costs by 20% then I as a business owner can decide whether I will pay that or not. I might decide that simply buying some spares makes more sense. I might decide to not buy the support and phase the kit out over time. With Meraki I won't have that choice. I'll either have to pay that money or I'll have to scramble to raise the cash and maintenance windows to replace everything in a short period of time.

Your OpEx/CapEx argument also falters quite a lot when you consider that, not only is the Meraki up-front (CapEx) cost relatively high for the market it's competing in, the ongoing licensing costs (OpEx) are absolutely unavoidable.

doesn't touch anything < 1Gbps
2 points · 3 years ago

I've just had a quick look at pricing I can find on Google. A Meraki 48-port 740W PoE L3 switch is around £6,000. An equivalent Juniper EX3300-48P is around £2,500. We're actually paying substantially less than even that but then we are buying them by the hundred. Then you have the mandatory Meraki license costs on top of about £1,000 for five years.

So that's a 5 year cost of £7,000 for the Meraki vs £2,500 for the Juniper for a single 48-port L3 switch. Roll out just ten of those and you're spending £45,000 more on Meraki than the comparable Juniper and the Merakis will still stop dead at the end of those five years unless you pay even more. Even if you don't have the on-site expertise to set up a Juniper switch, £45K could buy you a lot of consultancy.

How can that possibly be a sensible ROI?

The switches are overpriced. I wouldn't look at those.

Why would a business shoot themselves in the foot like that?

-8 points · 3 years ago(3 children)
CCNA
2 points · 3 years ago

As far as switches go it will cease to function...

Although I created a policy to not allow the device to reach the meraki controller, reset to factory, and the switch is happily sitting in a non-production environment.

Local configuration is at: 1.1.1.100 or switch.meraki.com (You have to be behind the switch.)

Yea, that's what they say.

It's not true though.

5 points · 3 years ago

They've got their niche, but I think you end up paying more than necessary for the convenience.

Also, the lack of threat prevention and real application recognition features on the firewall are disappointing.

VAR / CCNP / Wireless Consultant
1 point · 3 years ago

Updates to the software come out all the time and new features are added. You also save a ton of money from reduced management time and lower level employees (see cheaper) being able to manage the whole infrastructure.

obsessed with NetKAT
7 points · 3 years ago

of the two Meraki users I've ever worked with, both tore all of their gear (switching, routing) out at great expense after repeated throughput issues, random hardware failures, and ineffective support response.

their wifi stuff seems pretty decent, and plenty of folks sing their praises here in /r/networking so I guess YMMV

So here's the thing with Meraki. It's perfect for small branch offices, SMBs, school settings ect. Is it great for larger enterprise sites? Not really. You're not paying the licensing fees because you just want to throw money away. You're paying for ease of management and deployment. As has been stated previously, "It just works." They have a very specific model on how they're running things and for the niche they've carved out its perfect. The licensing costs of managing a decent amount of equipment for 5 years, is the same as what a company would have to pay a single engineer for a year. If a company can establish a cost effective way to deploy robust equipment and manage it, not sure why they wouldn't take it.

I've deployed one single device, an MX60W in a remote office 30 miles away without ever visiting the site. For satellite offices with no onsite IT,they appear perfect but I'd never deploy throughout my primary site.

My concerns are the licensing thing and other factors such as your internet connection drops and you need to make a switch/firewall change to bring up a secondary route which you're unable to because your connection is down.

Ease of upgrades and roll backs. Had a car dealership upgrade all the WiFi over night. 30 or so WAPS, it didn't go well with clients kept dropping. I click roll back of all 30 WAPS. One click. I believe any other vendor would have to touch each WAP. Some were 50 feet up

Easy to set up But good luck troubleshooting, especialy when problem is located in Meraki cloud...

High Density Wireless, Datacenters, SDN
3 points · 3 years ago

This is the differentiator that makes me not like Meraki, while at the same time highly enjoying my experience with Aerohive:

(bolded emphasis mine)

On the other hand, Aerohive gear will work just fine if you let your licensing lapse. The only things Aerohive licensing affects are:

• Access to cloud-hosted management console (does not apply if you are using a VM or appliance-based on-premise management console)

• Access to phone support from Aerohive

• Access to warranty hardware support from Aerohive

I'll reiterate that: Your network continues to work and you can stil manage your devices (certainly by CLI console per device, but also via GUI if you have chosen a one-time purchase of an appliance or VM management console from Aerohive instead of the cloud management option).

I didn't realize until relatively recently that Meraki actually kills your entire network if you let your subscription lapse. That's an excellent lock-in business strategy on their part, but it's insanity for a network architect to choose them for that same reason. In spite of paying high prices to "buy" your Meraki hardware and using it for years, Cisco can take it all away if you stop paying them one day.

Are you using Aerohive? How are you finding it?

High Density Wireless, Datacenters, SDN
1 point · 3 years ago

Yep! I love it personally, both for event deployments (conferences, hackathons etc) and for long-term installations in buildings. Is there any aspect you're wondering about in particular?

We are looking at upgrading our switches here (~300 computers on two sites) and want something with powerful manageability (Like Meraki) but without the licensing restrictions of Meraki.

I have seen aerohive mentioned a few times so I signed up for their online demo. Since doing so I have emailed them and tried to chat with them with no response.

How do you find the interface for Aerohives management to compare with Meraki?

High Density Wireless, Datacenters, SDN
1 point · 3 years ago

I'll PM you some contact information of Aerohive folks who can help you get started. I really like Aerohive's management interface compared to Meraki -- it's streamlined, intuitive, and feature-rich. It's similar to Meraki, of course, and your preferences/needs may dictate a different review/preference after you try it out.

I could never tie my infrastructure to a model that causes it to break if I fail to pay support fees - I don't care if the equipment is amazing, that is a non-starter for me.

The good:

• The GUI interface is far more intuitive than any other firewall I've worked with.

• Excellent monitoring and ability to see who is connected with what MAC/IP, etc.

• Client VPN works flawlessy and is fast to connect

• Customer support is the best of any device/company I've worked with. Most of the time you connect with an engineer right away if you call.

• It integrates well and automatically with other Meraki gear

The bad:

• It's a little green. Once in a while the Cisco engineers get stumped. And it's not because they aren't good engineers. It's because the product is a bit new at Cisco.

• You have pretty much zero access to command-line.

• I've encountered some minor glitches in integrating their Meraki switches. Sometimes the reporting is off.

4 points · 3 years ago

A decent Mikrotik will do what you are asking for and you get to keep using the device without paying fees.

VAR / CCNP / Wireless Consultant
2 points · 3 years ago

The "fee" gets you automatic updates, support, hardware replacement. All things you normally already buy a support contract for.

2 points · 3 years ago

Mikrotik updates are free.

Mikrotik support is limited (the Cisco TAC is great)

Mikrotik hardware replacement -> Buy 2 or 12 for the fee you are paying.

flair goes here
2 points · 3 years ago

We use them for soho VPNs and company wireless. They are cloud-managed and licensed. If this model is not for you then move along. We have the budget and I love them because the junior network guy can manage them. The layer 7 visibility they provide is also very nice.

I manage a site with an MX100 with about 1000 clients. It's great for me since I am still learning cisco and cli. Meraki is intuitive and easy to use and configure from anywhere. Quickly look at or change any configuration. Having used Ubiquiti unifis and Meraki mr16, 24 waps, the Merakis are better for reliability , durability and really everything else. I seem to have a lot of issues with unifis I never have with Meraki. The merakis are 4x the price so it makes sense. I love Meraki gear.

VAR / CCNP / Wireless Consultant
5 points · 3 years ago

Go for it. They're pretty slick.

CCNA
Original Poster1 point · 3 years ago

Have you had any issues which the Auto VPN feature? Specifically, the ability of tunnels to automatically reestablish after being dropped.

I'm running tunnels between an MX60 and a pair of Z1s. They just work.

I recently replaced the router behind the MX60 by one with a less NAT-friendly configuration, which was adequately detected by the Meraki and reported as such. See: http://imgur.com/085F7z9

So, from my experience, it just works.

We've got more than 50 MX units using the Site-to-Site VPN feature, and they re-connect seamlessly.

While you may pay a premium for the ease of use, it's invaluable for smaller shops with limited manpower.

We were a bit worried after the Cisco purchase of Meraki, but they've very much retained their identity and practices thus far. Updates and new features are frequently being rolled out without any charge.

Do they fail back to meraki' sitting next to each other or physically different locations? If the ladder, how do you handle the failure of internal routing?

We're getting close to deploying it for our Home Office users, and we are seriously looking at it for Retail.

I don't like that each endpoint device can only create one tunnel at a time; I'd prefer simultaneous tunnels. I'm also a little unclear on how spoke-to-spoke communication works (I think it's like GRE tunnels, where everything has to traverse the head-end). Both of these issues limit how widely we could deploy, but it's a good fit for some use-cases.

1 point · 3 years ago

What kind of annual pricing does Meraki ask for their wireless gear? It's of course not visible in their pages :/

CCSE
2 points · 3 years ago

We pay $135 /yr on our MX16 devices. I think that's about 20% of list. We only paid about $435 for the MX16s, but we bought 150+ of them.

The Meraki MS320 are cheaper than Cisco 2960X. No one pays retail/website cost for these so going on a website and comparing prices is pointless. Smartnet for the 2960x for 3 years is DOUBLE the cost of smartnet for a MS320 for 5 years. Half the price, 2 more years longer. I am talking reseller pricing.

I would love the job of the network admin that has LESS to do these days at work. It seems like most network admins have double/triple the devices they had 5-10 years ago. They have doors, cameras, alarms, speakers, phones, laptops, desktops, tablets, sensors, etc. on their networks now. More stuff to manage. Meraki takes a kinda complicated thing aka the network, and makes it easy. It is a very cookie cutter approach but cookie cutter approach works in a large majority of instances.

I am a CCNP. I am a huge fan of Cisco, Meraki, Juniper and HP. Meraki makes great switches, wireless, and firewalls. It will not be the fit for everyone, but dont knock it until you try it.

They're giving them away for free.

They have been doing this with in person conferences and online webinars since the beginning. It's a great deal to get a nice WAP with free 3 year contract for free.

CCNA
1 point · 3 years ago

Meraki is pretty good.

It's very pricey. If you can afford the cost the management is very intuitive and the devices are overall pretty stable...

Make sure you disable automatic firmware updates...We had a 24/7 client and they decided to update at a critical time and did not come back up....

This along with cost is why we're moving some of our smaller clients to Ubiquiti WAPs...we've got a "cloud" controller and once you set them up they just work with no licensing fees.

We have deployed several MX80's, ~10 of the layer 3 switches (MS420/320) and dozens of 220s. This summer we're also rolling out ~200 MR34s.

The meraki gear is pretty sweet. Cloud management is way less annoying than I intially thought, traffic shaping and profiling are great. The best part though is their customer service, really good, really fast support

Can confirm. Their customer service is second to none. 95% of the time when I call there is zero wait time. I get right through to an engineer.

0 points · 3 years ago

For back end services that are really easy to use but as mentioned the cost is a little high. It's basically the whole package without the need for a expert. And I'm no expert :)

###Enterprise Networking Routers, switches and firewalls. Network blogs, news and network management articles. Cisco, Juniper, Brocade and more all welcome.

r/networking Rules
Rule #1: No Home Networking.
Rule #2: No Certification Brain Dumps / Cheating.
Rule #3: No BlogSpam / Traffic re-direction.
Rule #4: No Low Quality Posts.
Rule #5: No Early Career Advice.
Rule #6: Educational Questions must show effort.