Archived

Meraki webinars: your experience...

All,

I'm looking to hear about other people's experiences with Meraki webinars. I've participated in two, the most recent in January.

I followed all instructions, followed up to confirm my mailing address, eligibility, etc. Never received the demo AP.

Have called and emailed my contact multiple times and have had no response. He seems to have vanished.

Do people actually receive these demo APs?

Moderator | Infrastructure Architect14 points · 1 year ago

I got everything I was supposed to get.

1. I registered with my company e-mail and mailing address.

2. I called the sales number to confirm they would ship.

The equipment works, but I'm not sure I'd deploy it into production.

CCNP4 points · 1 year ago

To add to this I believe you may have to register with a company email to get the free gear. Also, I think there is a limit to free gear per company, maybe limit one.

3 points · 1 year ago

No limit. I have a firewall, AP, and switch from webinars. I had to follow up directly with my sales rep for each one. Just emailing my information wasn't enough.

3 points · 1 year ago

I think /u/myname was referring to meraki only allowing registrants to use email with the companies domain once per free offer.

However, about 7 months after I received my ap a junior sysadmin signed up and also received an ap.

I do not think so. We are a pretty large organization and I am sure others have taken the webinar and gotten the free stuff. Maybe it helps we have a large installed based of Meraki APs.

CCNP3 points · 1 year ago

It may also be at the discretion of the people verifying, but their site says one AP per organization. https://meraki.cisco.com/freeap

1 point · 1 year ago

We had 6 ap and one switch by the time the second guy got his, so yeah that's certainly a possibility too.

Same story. To force them to send the free AP I had them write out a quote and said I'll need to demo the equipment before signing.

A few phone calls and emails later, no AP. The sales Dept didn't even call about the open quote.

3 points · 1 year ago

Listened​ in on two different webinars on my lunch hour. Later, I received an ap and poe switch.

Just make sure no one else from your co has used their company email address in the last 6 months to register and sit through a webinar for a free device.

Same experience here. I never received my demo AP. I wasn't planning on using their products and paying their crazy subscription plan anyways so I wasn't too bummed that I didn't receive a demo unit. I went with Ubiquiti APs and I'm very happy.

-8 points · 1 year ago(2 children)

I got the AP after the webinar. I really like it for free, but I wouldn't pay for it personally. Now, at work, we deployed in quite a few sites, and I have to say that their product performs really well and it is really easy to manage. Why do you think it is bad? Just curious as I would like to avoid pitfalls already experienced by others.

It didn't perform well under heavy use. We had 13 APs in a high density, high use environment and it would kick off clients randomly.

I tried as well no luck for me

Got my demo fast. Got an mx84...lovin it.

1 point · 1 year ago

Which webinar(s) did you do?

1 point · 1 year ago

Which webinar(s) did you do?

?????????????????????????

2 points · 1 year ago

Since people seem to have bad experience I'll say I had a very nice chat with the rep and received it 1 business day later I think, very very fast!

Got the AP. Changed jobs and tried to get the switch. Apparently they wont send free gear out to partner companies :(

2 points · 1 year ago

That's not true, although the process is different. If you're a partner you can attend a training and get a switch, firewall, and AP in one sitting.

My sales rep emailed me back directly and said employees of partners are not entitled to free equipment. We could loan equipment to train on however.

2 points · 1 year ago

Your sales rep is confused.

We just sent two of our people to training and they both got a stack of Meraki stuff each. I'm not talking about a webinar, I'm talking about on-site training. If they still don't know what you're talking about hit me back up and I'll dig up the details.

Yep it's for partners and it's called CMNA Training - Cisco Meraki Network Associate. It's a day in the Cisco office with the equipment then a month or two later you get the free goods with three year license. Hit up their partner site for it.

Your Channel Account Manager should be helping with this.

Have got an MX and two MRs. So have others I know. Maybe a bad Rep.

Got my AP, MX-64, and the switch. Just had to keep on my rep.

I actually received two APs for attending one in-person event. Pretty sure it was an accident on their part though.

I had the opposite even.

I signed up with company email, but never confirmed my details. Still got the AP.

CCSE1 point · 1 year ago

I received my AP really fast. My switch I had to call three or four times on. Didn't know you could get a firewall!

Interestingly enough, I just did a comparison for a company with 25 MR33s vs 1702i APs, and the Meraki TCO beat out the legacy Cisco WLC solution by thousands of dollars.

Meraki is the shit.

Got my AP and firewall with no hassle, just had to call to verify my address

If you dont get a response head over to r/meraki, there are some meraki employees on there

1 point · 1 year ago

My original rep from watching the cloud switching webinar was AMAZING. Didn't try to upsell anything, understood that I really only wanted the free stuff but if it was cool I'd share with others, and was all around a cool guy.

After that it was all down hill.

Wireless AP took 5 emails and over a month to get.

I've given up on getting the firewall. A few weeks emailing my "rep," customer support, and the one manager I knew of yielded nothing. A few of my customers have their products and I haven't heard a lot of good things about their support, but to be fair people are usually more vocal about bad things when a device isn't working than the pros and nobody ever calls into the NOC because service is working =P

1 point · 1 year ago

I got my demo AP four years ago, had to give them a business email, then send a follow-up email a month later when they didn't get back to me. All emails were sent with a different font and mail-from with the same name, a friend said he's dealt with "Steve Booth" before and he thinks it's the name used for customer relations by a team at Cisco.

I actually didn't even call to confirm and then after a few weeks they called me. I still received my AP.

As for limit, i believe 6 of us from the same company received an AP.

1 point · 1 year ago

Update: Don't set up two factor authentication using the Google auth app along with Meraki dashboard... if anything goes wrong or changes (like you move to a new state and service from the only ISPs only work with a hard connect) are made, you could be in the same snail email boat I'm in.

###Enterprise Networking Routers, switches and firewalls. Network blogs, news and network management articles. Cisco, Juniper, Brocade and more all welcome.

r/networking Rules
Rule #1: No Home Networking.
Rule #2: No Certification Brain Dumps / Cheating.
Rule #3: No BlogSpam / Traffic re-direction.
Rule #4: No Low Quality Posts.
Rule #5: No Early Career Advice.
Rule #6: Educational Questions must show effort.