What type of fiber connector is this?

If you look closely on the first picture you can see there are two fibers going to the connector. This made me think its not some kind of weird variation of LC connector. Maybe MT-RJ? But I have never seen nor used one before.

Link with two pictures, front and back https://imgur.com/a/qiTJaqH

doesn't touch anything < 1Gbps28 points · 4 months ago · edited 4 months ago

That's a 3M Volition VF-45 socket.

EDITED TO ADD: Look at the shutter design on this image from here. It's got the same angled wedges in the corners of the shutter.

The odd thing is that VF-45 is designed as a duplex connector and the fibre in the OP's image looks very much like it's single core. Maybe it's a retrofit of existing fibre plant to use bidi optics?

esteemed fruit-loop18 points · 4 months ago

If you look closer, you can see the fiber cables splitting into 2 strands on the back of some of the connections.

There is a "funnel" shaped bend-radius protection sleeve that gets installed on the back of these connectors, which makes it look like it's only accepting a single strand, when in fact, it accepts a sheathed pair of strands.

Original Poster14 points · 4 months ago

wow thats some fbi level reply right there

Good eye. I missed that, thought it was strange that these were single strands.

Original Poster3 points · 4 months ago

But it was literally my first sentence in op :p

1 point · 4 months ago

Who reads anyway?!

We used those at a past job and had horrible reliability issues. If you bumped the panel half of the connections would slip. We ended up replacing them all.

We called them "Violation" instead of "Volition"

Original Poster3 points · 4 months ago

Nice find! If you zoom on the picture you can see that there are actually two fiber strands going to the connector.

Now if I only could find a european reseller of these... :)

doesn't touch anything < 1Gbps4 points · 4 months ago

Ah, right, I hadn't spotted the twin cores.

If it was me I'd get those fibres re-terminated into duplex LC connectors. Even if you find someone still selling VF-45 patch cables today there's no guarantee that they'll still be selling them in five years' time. It was never very popular even when it was new and it's completely obsolete now.

esteemed fruit-loop4 points · 4 months ago

Just adding to this:

See the images on page 4 of this PDF.

Nice work!

Never seen em before.

doesn't touch anything < 1Gbps3 points · 4 months ago

I've never seen them in the wild but I do remember a consultant trying to sell me on the idea of flood-wiring a building with them back in the mid-2000s as "fibre to the desk is the way of the future."

Can we see a male connector up close? It looks like MT-RJ but that would have duplex zip cord on the front.

Original Poster1 point · 4 months ago

I don't have a male connector, that's the problem :) I tried make a LC and SC fit, but no go.

Pull one of the ones on the back off the panel

esteemed fruit-loop1 point · 4 months ago

I was going to say exactly what your suspicion is, some type of proprietary 3M LC connector .. I googled the shit out of it and came up empty

-6 points · 4 months ago(4 children)

maybe if you're high as fuck

It’s 420 so...

doesn't touch anything < 1Gbps2 points · 4 months ago

That explains why I can smell weed smoke wafting in through the window.

blaze it

-9 points · 4 months ago(0 children)
Original Poster4 points · 4 months ago

Link works for me. Here are the individual pictures anyways https://i.imgur.com/FjCaWeI.jpg https://i.imgur.com/YYYzqxJ.jpg

-2 points · 4 months ago

Meh on pc it works but not on my mobile.. even if i copypaste in chrome ibget gallery not found. Bah whatever

###Enterprise Networking Routers, switches and firewalls. Network blogs, news and network management articles. Cisco, Juniper, Brocade and more all welcome.

r/networking Rules
Rule #1: No Home Networking.
Rule #2: No Certification Brain Dumps / Cheating.
Rule #3: No BlogSpam / Traffic re-direction.
Rule #4: No Low Quality Posts.
Rule #5: No Early Career Advice.
Rule #6: Educational Questions must show effort.