Reddit Feeds

Sign up and stay connected to your favorite communities.

New to Brocade switches questions

Hi I have never touched a brocade switch and I need to order some. I landed on the 7450 48f.

1. Now if I want to stack them do I need the icx7400-1x40gq module?

2. what cable is needed for stacking?

3. the module for the uplink to the router is the icx7400-4x10gf going to work with a Cisco isr4431 router?

4. Also do Cisco sfps work in a brocade switch?

It's not the network!5 points·5 days ago
  1. Two 40 Gbps ports in rear or 4 X 10 Gbps ports as an option on front NOTE: 40 Gbps stacking and 4 X 10 Gbps stacking cannot be used simultaneously in the same stack.

2. the cheapest method is DAC cables; they don't use special cables like Cisco

3. Brocade modules don't work in Cisco hardware; you should be able to connect them using a DAC cable or the same optics with correct fiber patch

4. mostly

To repeat my comment from r/Brocade, be sure to test 3rd-party DACs very well... We have been bitten by this on multiple Brocade devices. We have seen both errors and link state issues (remote side of disabled port stays up). They seem to do better with active cables, no matter how short.

It's not the network!1 point·5 days ago

We use Brocade brand as they weren't crazy expensive but were bitten by not having active cables on our MLX when Brocade decided to make a code change and not tell us. We literally had dozens of passive cables that worked beautifully stop working and not a single active cable anywhere.

Original Poster1 point·5 days ago

Brocade is no more, the ICX line is now Ruckus owned. Yes, the 40G QSFP does stacking, you will typically use a 40G active coax QSFP cables.

Yes, most Cisco SFP’s will function

Original Poster1 point·5 days ago

obsessed with NetKAT4 points·5 days ago

Broadcom got all the Fibre Channel stuff. Arris got Ruckus and the ICX switching line. Extreme got the NetIron family.

Yep, and all icx is branded ruckus networks now.... The brocade name is dead

Pitty, Brocade was famous and a pretty old company.

Kinda sad to see Brocade go, I cut my chops in a NOC job working with their MLX and XMR platforms.

Funny enough I am wearing one of the last shirts I got from them.

Original Poster1 point·5 days ago

Haha I have a feeling that shirt will stay with you forever no matter how beat up it is

###Enterprise Networking Routers, switches and firewalls. Network blogs, news and network management articles. Cisco, Juniper, Brocade and more all welcome.

r/networking Rules

Rule #1: No Home Networking.
Rule #2: No Certification Brain Dumps / Cheating.
Rule #3: No BlogSpam / Traffic re-direction.
Rule #4: No Low Quality Posts.
Rule #5: No Early Career Advice.
Rule #6: Educational Questions must show effort.