Moderator of r/networking

Rant Wednesday!

It's Wednesday! Time to get that crap that's been bugging you off your chest! In the interests of spicing things up a bit around here, we're going to try out a Rant Wednesday thread for you all to vent your frustrations. Feel free to vent about vendors, co-workers, price of scotch or anything else network related.

There is no guiding question to help stir up some rage-feels, feel free to fire at will, ranting about anything and everything that's been pissing you off or getting on your nerves!

It places the packet on the wire or else it gets the hose again.27 points · 3 months ago

My rant is directed towards Reddit itself. No, for the millionth time, I don't want to install your garbage app on my phone. Every time I visit the site I get the pop-up that covers 2/3 of my screen asking if I'd like to install the app, and then again randomly when I'm browsing in between subs. It's extremely irritating.

It's a shitty app, too.

It places the packet on the wire or else it gets the hose again.9 points · 3 months ago

I just found out uBlock Origin works in Firefox for Android, so I've switched to that rather than Chrome. It took a minute or two to get the filtering right but now I no longer have the stinking "USE OUR APP NOW" pop-ups. Victory!

If you use one of the many 3rd party Reddit apps you don't get ads.

Comment deleted3 months ago
Network+1 point · 3 months ago

I'm still using Bacon Reader.

Comment deleted3 months ago
Meow 🐈🐈Meow 🐱🐱 Meow Meow🍺🐈🐱Meow A+!17 points · 3 months ago

Partially (no, totally) my fault.

• Re-added automod so it can sticky posts

• Changed some of the rules about to give consistent posting times

• Screwed up just to tick /u/Zhaha off.

obsessed with NetKAT11 points · 3 months ago

you're hitting all your KPIs. time for a promotion

Meow 🐈🐈Meow 🐱🐱 Meow Meow🍺🐈🐱Meow A+!8 points · 3 months ago

KPI: Dont be shit.

Fuck, failed that one.

Solutions Engineering1 point · 3 months ago

In all seriousness, you could in theory, retroactively create a Rant Wednesday thread for the previous week, right?

Meow 🐈🐈Meow 🐱🐱 Meow Meow🍺🐈🐱Meow A+!1 point · 3 months ago

No can do :(

HurrayInternetDrama += 1, two weeks in a row I'm def triggered A+ man

CCNA2 points · 3 months ago

I'm pretty sure there was a Rant Wednesday last week, but it was only stickied on thursday, being replaced with the friday blog thread but leaving the older Rant Wednesday. And there were no Moronoic Monday 2 days in a row now.

Comment deleted3 months ago
Viptela nerd17 points · 3 months ago

So you're spending the next 2 weeks looking for a job instead of migrating SVIs, right?

He really threatens to fire people when handing out projects?

CCNP R&S11 points · 3 months ago

I bet they'll keep lots of good talent with that approach!

I drink and I route things3 points · 3 months ago

Send him the Urban Dictionary definition of a "Fireswitch"

I had to check that on my phone as that could have gone off a cliff...

Just came in here to give a shout out to my favorite dumpster fire: Dell Premier Website.

6 points · 3 months ago · edited 3 months ago

How’s it compare to the shit show that is the HP-Aruba site?

EDIT: And apparently the Ruckus/Brocade docs site is a disaster as well.

Nothing can compare to the shitness of HP's website

Anytime I visit the website of a global player in corporate IT, I feel like they are in some sort of contest of who does it the worst.

I once wanted to order something through Dell's online shop, but it simply wasn't possible. I tried for half an hour. There was just no way. Another time, I wanted to use their chat, but it just sent me into a loop made of hyperlinks. I mean what is this? I ended up dm'ing them on facebook where they told me that they couldn't answer my question anyway (something about dell docking compatibility). Dell, you are a global player who makes money buy selling stuff! Why can't you have a shop system that works? And people who can actually tell me what I have to buy? WHY CAN'T YOU BE NORMAL!

And Microsoft... well I never took any of their training, but I imagine that half of it is guidelines on where to find anything in this huge pile of half-outdated and Live-Account-walled html labyrinth. My favorite is that i had to login through live.com to read an article dealing with login problems for live.com. Actually no. My favorite part was spending hours to figure out all I needed to know about Action Pack. 80% of information is either utterly useless marketing blahblah or severely outdated. Man I hate their website so much.

Network Engineer3 points · 3 months ago

Heyo!!

LESS ANGRY AND HAS A NEW JOB12 points · 3 months ago · edited 3 months ago

Didn't get the job offer. It was pretty close though. Or, at least, I keep telling myself that.

That wasn't the worst part of last week though. No, the worst part was being accused by my boss of causing two separate outages due to an unauthorized change. To be totally fair, I poked an unstable configuration when I probably shouldn't have and I did cause an issue. There were mitigating circumstances, but if I relied on those to get me out of trouble, it wouldn't be very responsible of me. I made a choice and I will own that decision and the consequences of it.

That being said, that was one fucking outage. The other "outage" I was allegedly responsible was for running a pcap on a Meraki switch and the switch almost immediately restarting. Long story short, there's a known bug on certain versions of the firmware where running a packet capture will cause the switch to crash. Confirmed by support.

My problem lies in the question "how did my boss get 'I took down two locations with a change?'" Best I can figure is my teammate told my boss that. I have no concrete evidence to support it, but based on my interactions with this guy over the past year and a host of other events, him acting maliciously is slightly more likely than him unintentionally misreporting the situation or my manager misunderstanding. My colleague knew every detail and everything I did on the packet capture issue. I'm reasonably certain he relayed the information to our manager in less-than-good faith.

I've no fucking clue what to do, but I'm going for an extreme CYA approach on everything. Probably will get pushback on that, but I have to make sure that things are getting reported as accurately as possible.

Wise Lip Lovers Apply Oral Medication Every Night.7 points · 3 months ago · edited 3 months ago

I work with a person like that.For everything and I do mean everything I interact with this person I ask him to correspond with me in email.

All emails from this person goes into a folder that I print out and keep at a undisclosed location.I direct almost all phone calls beyond a simple yes/no be discussed via email.

Any formal meeting I have to have with him , I keep audio recordings.

WHO AUTOMATES THE AUTOMATERS?4 points · 3 months ago

While it is always good to err on the side of caution, don't forget Hanlon's Razor!

Wait your post says no job but your flair says new job

A part of my work is dealing with phone carriers.

We have a new metric to track troublesome upstream carriers, but the company is not taking in account which upstream carrier is fast at resolving issues on their end. Now they are looking to re-route large amounts of phone traffic from one of the most efficient and responsive carriers. It's such an error in judgment its crazy.

Another thing that baffles me is one carrier has literally zero support. They have a NOC mail and phone number but they never response to e-mail and never answer the phone, but they get used because they are so cheap. Management pushes us to resolve issues from this carrier because their cheap.

It places the packet on the wire or else it gets the hose again.6 points · 3 months ago

Make a quick analysis of the past year's worth of tickets pertaining to the crappy carrier and the man-hours spent resolving their issues, multiply by your salary / wage as well as any lost revenue (e.g. credits you've had to issue to your downstream customers if any, etc.), and then present that to your management team if it's significantly more than the amount you're saving by using that carrier. The way you deal with people who only think about money is to prove that the current way of doing things is costing more in the long run, unless of course it isn't, in which case you're screwed.

WHO AUTOMATES THE AUTOMATERS?11 points · 3 months ago

Well positive rant for once. I gave my notice last week at the current gig. Wasn't looking, but something right up my alley fell into my lap and it also pays a lot more. Unfortunately I'm going to be doing far more automation than networking but that's my only complaint. Also have to move, but it should be fun.

Lastly had quite the bender last Friday and left a bottle of Arbelour 16 at my friends apartment. It better still be there when I go to collect it!

Meow 🐈🐈Meow 🐱🐱 Meow Meow🍺🐈🐱Meow A+!8 points · 3 months ago

I'm just coming off of two weeks of oncall (Long story), HOWEVER the world cup starts tomorrow, which is a big deal (tm) for us. So I guess I'm perma-oncall now?

Network Fire Extinguisher4 points · 3 months ago

I'm with you on that one. Just lost half of my department and the on-call rotation is down to 3 weeks. One of the guys is at Cisco Live this week and another training session next week so I get to pull double duty. There is not enough coffee in me to deal.

Two weeks? You lucky duck. I just lost one of my already short-handed two man on-call rotation. So, I guess that means I'm solo on-call indefinitely until the position is filled <sigh>

Leave for Cisco Live, so obviously the office internet goes down hard with zero access.

Maybe now they'll believe me when I say that a daisy chained set of 6500s with a single, troublesome 80M connection isn't robust enough for an office that depends on hosted VOIP.

Not really a rant but I have a phone interview in exactly 1 hour and 15 minutes and I'm getting nervous. I always hate IT interviews cause it seems like it could go either way, really good or really bad.

Also on a side note, what's the proper way to tell an interviewer "I don't know I'll have to Google that?"

If you've heard of the technology they're referencing, say something along the lines of: "I'm familiar with the technology generally, but not that particular feature. I would take a few moments to research before asking a more senior team member to confirm my conclusions."

If it's not something you've ever heard of, something along the lines of: "Well, I'm not familiar with that specific technology, but part of the reason I went in to IT was to learn and exercise my adaptability. Researching new technologies is a passion of mine and I can't wait to learn about it."

And then go back and research the topics, so when you get the second interview and they ask about them again, you can discuss them at least at a high level, showing that you can actually research things.

guilty until proven innocent3 points · 3 months ago

How did the interview go?

Interviewer ghosted me :/ Which I guess could be a blessing in disguise; don't want to work for them anyway if that's how they treat applicants.

I've had really good results with "I don't know off the top of my head" as long you know the answers to at least some of the questions. I've batted 1.000 for getting offers since I started doing that.

ACI/F5/Infoblox/Openstack6 points · 3 months ago

ACI.

I didn't mind it at first. Once I got the hang of it I was navigating it pretty easily. However, we just established a new PTP link between our data centers and are setting up the interfaces as routed and doing BGP peering.

On the main end, we have a N7K. Like 3-4 commands and I have it up and running. Then I go to ACI and start going down the routed interface part. I got so lost. Another engineer and I spent like two hours on the phone together, he then spent another 2 hours that night and I looked at it yesterday.

Followed like two youtube videos and some articles. I finally found the right document. I deleted everything and started from scratch. Took me at least an hour to finally get it up and running. I only did it that fast because I had familiarized myself with some of the sections the day before.

We got BGP neighbor established but haven't gotten any routes in yet so that's another story.

I know Cisco wants you to use the API to build this shit, but you have to understand the order of operations and what checkboxes to check, etc. So stupid. I wish we could rip it all out and just build a custom Spine and Leaf fabric.

Let me introduce you to our lord and savior, BGP EVPN...

ACI/F5/Infoblox/Openstack6 points · 3 months ago

Yeah, it is something I want to do, but no one will listen.

ACI was sprung on my by our former manager without any input from the team. It was what Cisco sold him so he went for it.

obsessed with NetKAT1 point · 3 months ago

"surely this vendor, who wants to part me from as much of my money as possible, has my best interests in mind. therefore I shall trust the vendor, and not my employees"

I will never understand those kinds of managers. well, I mean I do -- they're either (charitably) lazy or intentionally malicious ("my employees are too stupid to know what is good for them/their work")

Hourray to the "on site proctored exam" Yes unique chance to have a one way video chat with a stranger that you can barely understand.

Finaly the chat was maximized when the exam started, i was told to kill the process, gave me a ticket for a "re-do".

All is swell stuff happens, called to re-schedule the exam, the ticket said it was the wifi and i need to wait 3-5 business days...

netx time i'll move my butt to a testing center

Rant...

Went to look at a new customer of ours network today, restaurant/10 room hotel. They wanted sonos adding to their network. Probably turnover $1.5m per year.

Their setup, 1 ISP shit router, 5 10/100 10yr old switches 2 belkin shit routers all pumping out one network 3 Registers + pcs + card machine + the god dam guy that lives their tv and Xbox all connected, 1 random WiFi booster all on the same network.

Must be against every data law going! They said they will spend some $$$ on it next year! Quoted them 5K to replace all the kit etc etc... They didn’t look impressed... good luck from me!

a quick rant for the shit show that NYIIX Centillion platform migration is, thanks for deploying an Beta version guys.

Meow 🐈🐈Meow 🐱🐱 Meow Meow🍺🐈🐱Meow A+!3 points · 3 months ago
> show lldp neighbors | match our_local
our_local           -                   10:f3:11:45:ac:45   BE1                rtr102.in.nycmnyzr.cv.net
our_local           -                   10:f3:11:45:ac:45   Hu0/8/0/0          rtr102.in.nycmnyzr.cv.net
our_local           -                   30:7c:5e:e3:18:c0   xe-10/0/0          jfk1-pr01
our_local           -                   30:7c:5e:eb:a4:c0   543                er02-halsey-ext
our_local           -                   4c:96:14:4e:7f:f0   521                CGW-US-EQX.NY9
our_local           -                   64:64:9b:ba:eb:c0   xe-0/1/0           re0-pr01.lga101
our_local           -                   64:64:9b:ba:eb:c0   xe-0/1/1           re0-pr01.lga101
our_local           -                   88:e0:f3:83:b7:c0   et-4/1/0           NYC1-CR2_re0
our_local           -                   d0:07:ca:1c:ad:00   806                cr01.jfk05
our_local           -                   e0:ac:f1:7d:05:5e   Te0/0/1/3          si-ny-us-asr-9001-edge01
our_local           -                   f0:1c:2d:8e:b6:c0   576                ny7-mx480-1

I think it was a GREAT change.

Network Engineer2 points · 3 months ago

Little bit late this week, but hey, nothing to complain about! Having a flipping blast here at Cisco Live! Only thing I guess I can complain about is that the convention is almost over.

Mutual Redistribution is fun! /s2 points · 3 months ago

I'm a day late, but fuck Mr. Murphy for shitty websites having profile / user account issues the same night I make core network changes making me pull my hair out for hours looking for connections that don't exist going the wrong way until you finally admit "something may or may not have been wrong and please go ahead and try it now?" Is it bad that I only got halfway through my coffee this morning before wanting a beer?

CCNA3 points · 3 months ago

I never tried it personally, but I don't think that coffee and beer mix well.

obsessed with NetKAT5 points · 3 months ago

have you not had a coffee stout of any variety? some of them are damn delicious

CCNA2 points · 3 months ago

Is that really a thing? Could be intriguing.

obsessed with NetKAT2 points · 3 months ago

Ballast Point Victory at Sea is the best one I've ever tasted.

but there are lots, as a quick google search will show you

WHO AUTOMATES THE AUTOMATERS?2 points · 3 months ago

That's why you go for the Whisky.

Meow 🐈🐈Meow 🐱🐱 Meow Meow🍺🐈🐱Meow A+!4 points · 3 months ago

droid) Shameless plug; I use it and ignore my dog's whines to go outside.

*Coffee grain whiskey

My rant is to those techs that refuse to read or try to understand issues before escalating.

CCNP R&S / CCNA Security4 points · 3 months ago

So, model numbers matter. We've got a very-small site, which consists of an SRX VPN and a 2960X for the entirety of the equipment list. Plug the SRX into the modem, 2960X into the SRX, done. Except, not done. 2960X can be pinged from the VPN, but not from anywhere else on the network.

So I drive three hours away to get to the site, console into the switch, and not only is the management VLAN interface Up/Down, so are all of the other SVIs, and there's no default route.

This is because we ordered a WS-C2960X-24TS-L, and the bastards sent a WS-C2960X-24TS-LL. The difference is, the LL is LAN Lite, meaning no Layer 3 capabilities at all, not even static routes or InterVLAN routing, among other things.

I'm torn; not sure if I'm more pissed off at the assholes who can't read an equipment order, or at Cisco for having wildly different hardware with the only indicator being an extra letter at the end of the model number.

It's not different hardware, you just didn't pay for the higher software license.

CCNP R&S / CCNA Security0 points · 3 months ago

Bzzt. Wrong answer. 2960Xs aren't upgradeable. We tried, it would not accept a new license. I mean, I work for DoD, you think I didn't try that? License availability isn't an issue. 2960X-24TS-LL is non-upgradable, cannot change the SDM prefer, and does not do any static routing.

From the data-sheet:

Note that each switch model is tied to a specific feature level; LAN Lite cannot be upgraded to LAN Base and LAN Base cannot be upgraded to IP Lite.

###Enterprise Networking Routers, switches and firewalls. Network blogs, news and network management articles. Cisco, Juniper, Brocade and more all welcome.

r/networking Rules
Rule #1: No Home Networking.
Rule #2: No Certification Brain Dumps / Cheating.
Rule #3: No BlogSpam / Traffic re-direction.
Rule #4: No Low Quality Posts.
Rule #5: No Early Career Advice.
Rule #6: Educational Questions must show effort.