For all my Alberta, Canada peeps: Axia's agreement to manage the Supernet expires June 30, 2018

Coincidentally, my senior network engineer goes on vacation the following week.

Original Poster10 points · 3 months ago

We received an email from Axia:

"This email is to inform you that we are aware that Service Alberta has requested information on our confidential bilateral arrangement for SuperNet services from some of our SuperNet Carrier customers. The Government of Alberta is not a party to these agreements and Axia believes the purpose of this information is to provide your competitive intelligence to Bell and Telus.

At this point Axia SuperNet Ltd. has no commercial or legal capability to offer continuity on behalf of our Carrier customers beyond June 30th 2018. We remain motivated to pursue options to assure continuity on behalf yourselves and all SuperNet users."

Was that sent out to SA or GoA people?

Great! I'll start managing it then.

(I'm in Calgary... I've always wanted to manage a HUGE network)

Someone get this man Google Ultron... hes going to need it.

Google Ultron.

Bah! All I need is PING, Telnet, and a case of Red Bull

Rumor is Bell is taking over Northern Alberta, Telus is southern.

Fuck Telus.

Fuck Bell more!

I remember the days when Telus was the only ISP in most areas, with self-important ass clowns in tech support that I'm pretty sure didn't know what traceroute did. I made it a mission to oust those stupid pricks from every SMB we contracted as soon as technically possible. I had a Telus sales rep calling me and making death threats after I moved a dozen or so different companies he managed, so I made an appointment with him under another name so I could laugh right in his face.

Telus should be shot with a ball of its own shit.

2 points · 3 months ago · edited 3 months ago

Edited: Rumours can’t be trusted. :)

That's why it was a rumor. So Bell won.

I don’t know who won yet. Nobody does.

This is the first I've heard of this "Supernet"

So beyond June 30th, some Rural customers could be without internet access?

SuperNet is (or was) a lot more than just rural customers. Schools and colleges used it extensively; our sites within Edmonton connected to our Edmonton DC using SuperNet as did our sites all across Alberta. I've been out of that sector for 5 years now so I have no idea what's going on now.

Obviously the rural aspect of the SuperNet was a big part of what they were raving about back in the 90s or early 2000s, but realistically it was mostly limited to public sector users (or publicish sector). If you wanted to start a rural ISP in a small town you could get a SuperNet connection between that town and an ISP in Calgary or Edmonton, but as they were non-public users they were only allowed circuits going from big towns to small towns or something.

That being said I knew this was going to happen 5 years ago when I left my job with the college, so it's just a case of government speed hurrying up a little.

I got the Calgary Board of Education hooked up to the Supernet in the early 2000s. It's been around for quite a while.

Original Poster5 points · 3 months ago

Probably not. They are professionals and aren't going to maliciously shut things off.

But, so far there is no information on who is taking over. Are they going to honor existing contracts/services?

The Supernet itself is not a business entity, it's just bunch of equipment owned by the government, except for a bunch of equipment that Axia supposedly added at their own expense and still owns.

Lots of questions, no answers, and two weeks to go.

apperently Axia was contracted to manage the network. They then created a sub/ sister company that was actually able to sell service to clients. I have a feeling they used some powers to their advantage and now that someone else is taking over, there will be someone looking into the agreements that were struck.

Original Poster3 points · 3 months ago

Rural customers makes it sound like a few farmers. There's a huge amount industry, schools, hospitals, fire depts, government offices, and some Wisps, for whom the Supernet is the only network connection to certain geographic areas.

Axia was my first job out of sait. Good times.

Fucken Korben... Wil here. Also my first Job out of SAIT. Good times indeed.

Using your real name in your handle is a thing right? You still in IT? I meet up with Dustun for beers every so often. You should join us one of these times.

Yeah man, I'll PM you.

Is that an open invitation?

Damn skippy boyo

It would be good catch up with you guys.

AMA TP-Link,DrayTek and SonicWall1 point · 3 months ago

Hip hip hooray!

Why?

AMA TP-Link,DrayTek and SonicWall3 points · 3 months ago · edited 3 months ago

Ever deal with Axia on Supernet issues?

Yes, a lot. When are you coming down for drinks? Scott is buying...

AMA TP-Link,DrayTek and SonicWall1 point · 3 months ago

I’m just bugging Axia, the problems are all supernet’s fault :)

I’m in Philippines after live so it would be July.

We were just there in Jan. Let's do something up our way when you get back. 4th Spot?

Is this similar to BCNET?

CCIEthernet1 point · 3 months ago

IIRC, it laid a bunch of fiber around Alberta for both commercial and research use, not just research, like the regional networks are.

I think the BCNET equivalent in Alberta is Cybera.

It was basically a BCNET that also served private customers. The primary and lasting benefit was the laying of fibre to just about every community that had a public library, high school, government office, or hospital. Bell managed the fibre (which is a big part of why Bell is such a big player in Alberta now). Axia managed the MPLS/IP services on top of the fibre.

It was actually a good system but they basically cut it loose of government support once the fibre deployment had completed (about 10-15 years ago) and surrendered the market to the private industry.

AMA TP-Link,DrayTek and SonicWall1 point · 3 months ago

Sure

AMA TP-Link,DrayTek and SonicWall1 point · 3 months ago

Sure sounds good

-3 points · 3 months ago · edited 3 months ago

Such a political fuckup.

SuperNet/AXIA are complete tards.

Downvotes? Have you ever spoken to the mouthbreathers in their NOC?

Compared to whom? Bell? Telus? Any other providers? Your comments are the equivalent to “old man yelling at cloud”.

1 point · 3 months ago · edited 3 months ago

In my experience Axia is the worst of the 3 mentioned, by far. You obviously havent dealt with any of them.

Obviously eh? Patience and kindness and I usually get what I want. Calling them names is just childish.

Lol, obviously havent dealt with these NOC's before.

Whatever you say man.

###Enterprise Networking Routers, switches and firewalls. Network blogs, news and network management articles. Cisco, Juniper, Brocade and more all welcome.

r/networking Rules
Rule #1: No Home Networking.
Rule #2: No Certification Brain Dumps / Cheating.
Rule #3: No BlogSpam / Traffic re-direction.
Rule #4: No Low Quality Posts.
Rule #5: No Early Career Advice.
Rule #6: Educational Questions must show effort.