Cisco 9500x Licensing

We're trying to purchase a 9500 series switch from Cisco and they're giving us the run around on pricing. They're saying that to purchase this switch we must purchase it with the DNA licensing (Subscription model). The features are useless to us unless we buy DNA licensing for all networking devices (not feasible for our budget). I was under the impression we can purchase the "Network Advantage" perpetual license and smart net and be done with it. Anyone had experience ordering this switch?

Edit: Apologies if i should be posting this in another sub r/cisco maybe?

Comment deleted3 months ago
CCNAOriginal Poster1 point · 3 months ago

Yeah that makes sense, i hadn't actually compared the price of our 4500-x to the 9500x so I'll put away my pitchfork now. If they just said it like that i wouldn't even question it. So hard to find out this information even when calling cisco.

Comment deleted3 months ago
CCNAOriginal Poster3 points · 3 months ago

I cant get pricing on CCW for some reason, it just says contact cisco reseller. Is there a requirement for it? I'm in australia if that makes a difference.

You need to be a partner to use it. Or have worked for a partner in the past and not updated your profile to say you don't work there any more.

I've ordered a bunch of 9300s and 9400s, no 9500s though... But, yes, you do need to order DNA along with it. But you don't need to keep DNA after it expires...

Apparently Cisco reduced the price of the hardware to incorporate a 3 year DNA subscription, but it's still a pain you have to get it at all.

CCNAOriginal Poster1 point · 3 months ago

Man they’re really pushing this sd-access stuff. While it does look cool, I’m not about to buy dna licenses for every switch we have.

The pricing on the Cat 9000 series is usually lower with the included DNA license over the previous equipment.

I purchased over 150 9300's and 6 9500-40x's with the DNA license over the past 2 months and I have ZERO plans to use the DNA stuff. So when the license runs out.. meh... whatever.

Don't stress over it. You should be getting some really good pricing though on the new 9000 series stuff. I'm loving my 9300 closet switches and 9500's!

The 9500X price is lowered to allow for the mandatory DNA license. However, DNA is useless without Cisco APIC, according to a Cisco sales engineer I talked with about this.

The price, including the DNA licenses, is comparable to an older catalyst series.

So, I do agree with you that it is stupid, it is not a big deal.

I don't think you need APIC, put APIC-EM which is being rebranded as DNA Center. Old school EM sucked but was free. Wasn't worth it even at that price. I bought enough 9300s with essentials and told Cisco that i had no intention of ever using DNA that they sent me a server with DNAC on it. I still haven't used it but I might. I'm guessing they figure if i upgrade to dna advantage on all of the boxes they'll make money in the long run.

Tell your AM that you think DNA and SDA are a waste of your time and see what they do.

I'll try that sometime, just say you don't want it, but getting a server in return ;)

I read the following article on Cisco's Website regarding the setup of SD-Access with DNA Center. https://developer.cisco.com/docs/sda/#!introducing-sd-access/components-of-sd-access Here it shows the DNA-Center being just a front end for APIC-EM. But combining a lot of Cisco's software services like ISE.

Seriously, what a load of crap. I’m not buying a 9000 series switche til Cisco gets rid of the dna requirement.

I ONLY need high-performance layer 2 switching, no other online connected services.

3850 it is.

For the next year or so. I estimate 3850s will be end of sale within the next year to year and a half.

###Enterprise Networking Routers, switches and firewalls. Network blogs, news and network management articles. Cisco, Juniper, Brocade and more all welcome.

r/networking Rules
Rule #1: No Home Networking.
Rule #2: No Certification Brain Dumps / Cheating.
Rule #3: No BlogSpam / Traffic re-direction.
Rule #4: No Low Quality Posts.
Rule #5: No Early Career Advice.
Rule #6: Educational Questions must show effort.