Fiber Cable Recommendations

I'm looking for recommendations for single strand bulk fiber cable. The cable will mostly be through conduit however small sections (less than 20 meters) may be direct burial. I did look on Fiber Store and I haven't found any bulk single strand cable that I feel would suit my situation.

Thanks all!

Higher Ed Network Engineering3 points · 3 months ago

Just curious, why single strand? I'm sure there's a reason, but most folks around here always recommend running more than you need for future expansion. Labor is what's expensive, not the cable (relatively).

Original Poster1 point · 3 months ago

We will be running 24 strand to distribution points then single out to clients. If the recommendation is to run a two strand or so then that would be fine, I don't think the cost would be much different.

Higher Ed Network Engineering1 point · 3 months ago

What are the clients? Are you planning on using BiDi optics or is this some kind of PON setup? If you're not using BiDi and it's not PON, you'll need at least two strands (TX + RX) to each client.

Original Poster1 point · 3 months ago

PON

The transmission mode of GPON SFP is point to multi-point (P2MP). One GPON OLT SFP at the Central Office communicates with multiple GPON ONT SFPs with the help of fiber optic splitters.

GPON OLT and ONT/ ONU SFP transceivers support a transmission distance up to 20 km with 1490nm/1310nm and 1310nm/1490nm wavelengths.

It places the packet on the wire or else it gets the hose again.2 points · 3 months ago

We run dual strand fiber drops from the pole to the house for every one of our GPON customers. It doesn't cost anything extra and we always have a spare available if needed. For our DIA customers we always run at least a four count.

Higher Ed Network Engineering1 point · 3 months ago

Oh cool. I've not done a PON deployment myself, but I'd think it would make sense in most cases to do two-strand runs with one as a spare even if you don't terminate it.

Edit: FS.com has some decent-looking products aimed at the FTTH market.

Can it be buried in conduit?

Original Poster1 point · 3 months ago

Most of it yes, however there may be some sections (short distances) where it would be direct burial.

Right. What are the reasons stopping the burial sections from the cable being buried in conduit, instead of direct burial.

Like if it's being buried in dirt, why not just put lengths of conduit in the dirt and pass the cables through them?

I'm looking at it from a cost perspective. single strand in conduit vs a tougher type of single strand that you can just put in the ground by itself. If it was a 48 core or more, the cost of the burial cable would be worth it. even a 12 core, according to the application. But a single core...meh.

Original Poster1 point · 3 months ago

Mostly easy of use. Easier to slide just a cable down vs trenching out an opening and laying conduit.

Why use conduit at all on the drops? Get yourself direct burial drop cables and vibratory plow it in. Corning makes a system for this.

Sounds like it's drop cable to the house. That shit adds up fast on deployments. Both in cost of conduit and time to install it in after.

Did you try to email fs.com in case you have an odd-case which isnt already covered on their homepage?

Also even if you currently only need a single strand you should always install more than you need because the cost is normally not the cable itself (1 strand vs one with 4 or even 8 strands) but the labour to actually putting it in place, splicing and measuring the result.

If one simplex fails you just use one of the others (unless there is a complete cable breakdown).

Original Poster1 point · 3 months ago

Yes they recommended the https://www.fs.com/products/70220.html which was linked below. However I don't want pre-terminated since I don't know what my lengths will be.

Sounds like you want drop cable. Go with 2 strand with a tracer wire.

The big names all have it, corning, OFS, superior, prysmian.

What about this stuff? https://www.fs.com/products/32469.html It's purpose made FTTH cable.

Original Poster1 point · 3 months ago

I don't see any statements about that supporting direct burial. Have you used it before, is it fairly rigid?

I haven't used that cable myself, I have used their GYTA armoured cable. (loose tube, armoured, about 8mm in diameter)

esteemed fruit-loop0 points · 3 months ago

You probably want this stuff:

You can optionally order it pre-terminated.

You can optionally order it with a pulling eye on one end so you can pull it through conduit or whatever without damaging the connectors.

Original Poster1 point · 3 months ago

That was one of the recommendations form FS, however I don't necessarily want pre-terminated because I'm not always sure what the lengths will be.

Best bet may just be to get a spool of 4 strand single armored I'm thinking.

###Enterprise Networking Routers, switches and firewalls. Network blogs, news and network management articles. Cisco, Juniper, Brocade and more all welcome.

r/networking Rules
Rule #1: No Home Networking.
Rule #2: No Certification Brain Dumps / Cheating.
Rule #3: No BlogSpam / Traffic re-direction.
Rule #4: No Low Quality Posts.
Rule #5: No Early Career Advice.
Rule #6: Educational Questions must show effort.