Meraki switches in large enterprises?

Does anyone have positive or negative experience with Meraki switches in large campus/manufacturing environments?

Original Poster5 points · 2 months ago

Thanks! I feel like a moron now. I’m in a meeting with them and fired that question off without thinking much.

No worries, there are dozens more where these came from.

Someday we'll replace you with a bot. For now keep up the good work.

Doing god's work, son.

I'm using MR74's in large, cold, warehouse environments. Had to tweak the roaming settings. They perform really well. The rest of my wireless needs are on MR42. MX firewalls at all sites, international included with site-to-site VPN between them. Everything works well. And a mix of Meraki switches and legacy 3750, 4300 series type infrastructure at my other plants. Of course, the truly industrial switches I'm using are all Hirschmann. They're the standard in manufacturing that connects PLC devices, but those networks are hard segregated.

They aren't a silver bullet, and I don't like not knowing what's going on under the hood as I'm a Cisco guy for the last 10 years. They can do weird things unlike legacy equipment.

TLDR: they're fine. Not stellar, but fine.

We have hundreds of sites and use mx84s, they work. No complaint about actual functionality.

I only hate them because they don't have a fully functioning API, so I get stuck doing some tasks via GUI... hundreds of times.

Original Poster1 point · 2 months ago

Thanks! Do you have an example you can share?

1 point · 2 months ago

DHCP options was one we ran into. Had to conscript some help desk techs to click through each network (~150) and update the DNS servers.

There's no way to make a change to multiple networks at once? I thought that was the point of Meraki...

1 point · 2 months ago

They’ve since added templates, but not everything can be templated. I no longer work for that org, so I can’t check and see what is available.

I use them in a heathcare, 100% uptime critical enviornment, and have no complaints. They had an issue with switches dying due to a fan issue, but they sent all new switches for free and fast. They also recognized the issue before any switches actually died. So no complaints from me. I have about 180 switches deployed

Good for small to medium. Not so much for large enterprise. It's great if you are a MSP with many small businesses. Dat centralized portal is a sweet deal. But once you need to have any reasonable amount of control it comes up short and lacking.

Switches? No, I don't like their switches. I do use the MR APs and MX Gateways (been moving them away from edge and towards WiFi concentration though)

Which switches do you like then?

2 points · 2 months ago · edited 2 months ago

My last few office buildings have been Cisco Catalyst 9500/9300 for core/office. I'm doing one now with 9500/9300 in the core/office and 3560cx for wireless APs and cameras out in a large warehouse space.

Older spaces are Nexus9300/2960x.

The only places I use a full Meraki stack are small remote offices where they need 1 MX, 1-4 APs, and 1 switch, because then I have an easier time of remote troubleshooting (assuming there's any connectivity at all).

CCNP1 point · 2 months ago

I really like their wireless product, the switches, not so much. They lack basic things like tracing a Mac Address. I can search for a mac address and itll show up on some random uplink port in the dashboard instead of the port the device is actually connected to. I’ve also found that most of my support cases end up with them telling me to use the “make a wish” button to put in a feature request.

###Enterprise Networking Routers, switches and firewalls. Network blogs, news and network management articles. Cisco, Juniper, Brocade and more all welcome.

r/networking Rules
Rule #1: No Home Networking.
Rule #2: No Certification Brain Dumps / Cheating.
Rule #3: No BlogSpam / Traffic re-direction.
Rule #4: No Low Quality Posts.
Rule #5: No Early Career Advice.
Rule #6: Educational Questions must show effort.