Posted byesteemed fruit-loop2 months ago

Holy crap. Check out this network simulator someone is developing in conjunction with Cisco...

CCNothing144 points · 2 months ago

No cable management...we have VR racks, and you cheap bastards still can't spring $100 for a nice horizontal cable manager.

I don't see any damned labels either.

Just like in the real world!

So immersive.

18 points · 2 months ago · edited 2 months ago

The person unplugging random cables and reconnecting them to other things without making sure they don't tangle is also accurate.

Why did we hire him again?

DLC ;)

DLC ;)

Don't give them any ideas...

EA is watching... :D

Well, to be fair, in a simulator, nobody's gonna get disconnected if you unplug the cable. Also, fuck tying cables, I'm already tying them in real life, do I really need to do it in a sim too?

33 points · 2 months ago · edited 2 months ago

I signed up for Second Life about a year ago. Back then, my life was so great that I literally wanted a second one. In my second life I was also a paper salesman and I was also named Dwight. Absolutely everything was the same. Except I could fly

It'd be neat to use this as a frontend for CORE

Red cables crossing racks.... 🤬

Jack of no trade, but I'm pretending OK4 points · 2 months ago

That's just your colour coding

Not the colour..thats the issue, you dont cross racks like that.

Net+ Data Plumber2 points · 2 months ago

We called those Jail Bars.

I'm a fan of "If it's not tagged with a name and valid 'Remove By' date, then it's liable to be removed by a Network Admin the next time we perform cable maintenance.

"

Net+ Data Plumber4 points · 2 months ago

I was just taking a breath and wasn't done yet."

"Throws virtual currency at OP" [̲̅$̲̅(̲̅ ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°̲̅)̲̅$̲̅]

CCNP/JNCIA57 points · 2 months ago

I played this at Cisco live this year. It was stupid easy at the ccna level and didn't ask you to do anything but cable and verify routes being exchanged. The proctor said they were planning on using it as a replacement for taking the CCIE lab eventually.

That way you didn't have to fly to some city, spend the night, take your test, and go home. You could go to an approved VR testing center.

This sounds like a silly idea, especially considering VR seems to work okeish most of the time.

VR connected to a proper gaming rig is smooth enough to be used 8 hours no problem. Go to a VR arcade and test it yourself.

CCNA RHCE BCVRE5 points · 2 months ago

Pearson Vue would most likely end up being the proctor... They are a bunch of buffoons.

CCIE4 points · 2 months ago

also, some of us don't have binocular vision - which is pretty critical for the depth perception required for VR to work

It's not the network!3 points · 2 months ago

The motion tracking of you is actually the critical part. There are even blind people that are benefiting from correctly programmed VR applications.

As I mentioned in the other comment, I havent tried Ocular or similar, so I really cannot say with certainty, but doesnt VR give the perception of depth? I think it would be very "natural' feeling to use motion tracking to look around and control everything, but with no sense of depth. But maybe I am completely wrong.

It's not the network!2 points · 2 months ago

If you get a sense of depth playing a non-VR 3D game, it will be the same in VR. The experience is geared more toward presence than trying to create a fake depth gimmick that movies do.

Not to be rude, but isn't binocular vision necessary to have any visual depth perception? What, exactly is the difference with VR versus real R? I'm curious why VR is a no-go for those with monocular vision.

I've been monocular my entire life due to one of my optic nerves not developing. My right eye is borderline useless, but I can still play tennis, drive etc. A doctor once told me you learn depth perception by experience even without two good eyes. Needless to say, 3D movies and such are useless to me.

truthfully i have not tried the likes of ocular, so I cannot say for sure. I just imagine that VR wouldn't really "work" for me much like 3d movies. Since they rely on slighlty different signals to each eye to create the illusion of depth. You are correct that its also a problem in real life, but there are some other cues or hints in real life that help. I apologize, i cannot remember what they are off hand, but things like shadows, object sizes, sometimes sound, etc. I can tell you that I can pick up on alot of depth IRL but not nearly as well as someone w/ 2 functional eyes. I know VR can try to emulate those things, but I would imagine it would feel unnatural. For instance object size is going to be alot harder to accurately gauge.

Your eyes work exactly like that - slightly different angles to perceive depth. A true VR display like Vive or Occulas are vastly different than even the best 3D movie. I say this owning a very good 3D projector and a Vive.

The immersion is night and day compared with anything you've seen it sounds like. If you get a chance, you should definitely check it out because you would likely be rather impressed.

The things you've mentioned (shadows, object sizes, even sound) are mimicked in modern Head Mounted Displays (HMDs) and the representation is incredible.

cool, I will have to check them out some time. Thanks for the info!

Comment deleted2 months ago

Wtf?

The main problem seems to be the lack of "real depth" many people have trouble because they are looking at 3d objects on a 2d plane, which results in VR feeling weird.

Wow, thanks for bothering, but I wrongly stated 'VRs' for virtualization softwares

Not sure i understood what you meant. 3D headsets project a different image to each eye, effectively creating a 3d object. You should try HTC vive, Oculus rift or Samgsung Odyssey.

Your comment only makes sense if you meant cheapo dvd viewing goggles or something from the 1990s.

They're talking about focal length not parallax.

Totally unrealistic. Where's the broken wobbly base for the monitor on the cart? The broken VGA cable so that the screen is always blue tinted? The extra oversized fans at the ends of the rows because the DC over-sold their capacity and doesn't have enough cooling?

At least start with a mini-game where you have to transplant a keyboard from one cart to another to make a fully functional cart.

that is too fucken real man

Also those cables come out first try every time. No fucking around with whatever random clip or plastic sock on the end of it.

Net+ Data Plumber3 points · 2 months ago

And no making changes during normal waking hours. You can only make changes from 2AM-4AM on Christmas and Easter, and New Years Day if it falls on a Leap Year.

How can so many people live the same life? Are we in...a simulation?

esteemed fruit-loopOriginal Poster41 points · 2 months ago

So, this company has been working with Oculus Rift / Leap Motion / HTC Vive and, in conjuction with Cisco and VIRL, created a VR routing lab.

All of those routers/switches are virtual representations of VIRL virtual router/switch instances. Each of those cables basically just connects 2 ports together in the simulators.

The keyboard on the left actually sends console keystrokes to the running virtual machines.

I wonder how much would licensing cost on something like, for bringing a whole new meaning to virtual labs.

The training would certainly be cheaper.

15 pieces of flair 💩2 points · 2 months ago

Cisco's margins on training would increase.

FTFY

Oh my god! This is amazing! When I saw that yesterday I thought "That would be really cool if they tried to actually simulate a router or switch with those connections". This looks like something that would be perfect for any kind of lab simulation for training or certifications.

This is possibly one of the most exciting VR concepts I've seen so far. At what point do the plebeians get access to this?

I think from an 'eye candy' perspective it looks amazing. That said, I question the practicality of this. One of the selling points of virtual labs is the need to not have to physically cable things. I can just point and click to connect to devices (or use a script)

esteemed fruit-loopOriginal Poster2 points · 2 months ago

Its going to be used for CCNA/CCNP/CCIE level exams and training where you can actually see realistic looking models for hardware that most people can't reasonably afford to have in personal training inventory, let alone a dozen of them.

Not many people (yes, some, but not many) have half a dozen nexus switches laying around for their own personal lab usage.

CCNA17 points · 2 months ago

I wish Cisco the best of luck getting PearsonVUE test sites to incorporate Oculus. The CCNA simlets already look like Windows 95 MS-DOS era games.

While I can't imagine that PearsonVUE could force all their testing centers to buy Oculus I imagine that Cisco being one of PearsonVUE's bigger accounts they may have a lot of influence in the future equipment purchases for the testing centers. If Cisco mandated it for their exams I imagine many testing centers would cough up the money to buy the equipment. That being said I don't realistically see them pushing this into the CCNA. The test has never been about tshooting layer 1 issues.

CCNP | ISP Operations5 points · 2 months ago

Its going to be used for CCNA/CCNP/CCIE level exams

Hahaha, that will never happen. I can see it for the CCIE because you have to travel for it already. But as /u/login_local said, Pearson is never going to implement this and Cisco isn't about to roll out test centers across the world.

esteemed fruit-loopOriginal Poster3 points · 2 months ago

Well, according to the guy who is developing this, cisco requested it be created for exactly that purpose.

CCNP | ISP Operations6 points · 2 months ago

That's fine but I'll eat my hat if this is the case in five years.

esteemed fruit-loopOriginal Poster5 points · 2 months ago

!RemindMe 5 Years

I will be messaging you on 2023-07-11 16:46:58 UTC to remind you of this link.

CLICK THIS LINK to send a PM to also be reminded and to reduce spam.

Parent commenter can delete this message to hide from others.

FAQsCustomYour RemindersFeedbackCodeBrowser Extensions

Good bot

expired CCNA0 points · 2 months ago

RemindMe 5 years

Maybe Cisco will use it internally for the foreseeable future? There could be some value in being able to test familiarity with equipment especially on some of the pricier equipment. Just because PearsonVUE can't guarantee enough testing centers could offer this for CCNA level exams in the near future doesn't mean that Cisco couldn't get a lot of value out of it internally in the meantime.

I wish some group of people would do something like this for GNS3.

You don't need the physical hardware for that.

EDIT: I mean to say, the value of working with physical hardware as opposed to a virtual environment such as GNS3 - it doesn't seem that important.

Remote hands

Comment deleted2 months ago
It places the packet on the wire or else it gets the hose again.9 points · 2 months ago

What would be really cool is a VR program that would allow you to monitor your network in VR.

For some reason that statement makes me think of the "It's a UNIX system... I know this!" scene in the original Jurassic Park movie.

Comment deleted2 months ago

as long as you can unplug a fibre patch lead & look into it to see the internet flowz, i'd be happy

Net+ Data Plumber1 point · 2 months ago

I'm looking forward to a 'Hackers' style VR networking monitor

It places the packet on the wire or else it gets the hose again.1 point · 2 months ago

"Garbage" files could be BGP black holes...

A VR sandbox?

What happens when I unplug THIS.

esteemed fruit-loopOriginal Poster1 point · 2 months ago

Every cisco exam I've taken was on an old, underpowered PC running some form of flash in like 640 res, and they're planning to go 3D ? Good luck!

Comment deleted2 months ago
esteemed fruit-loopOriginal Poster3 points · 2 months ago

of course, when you are doing NP/IE level studies in the actual application programming of the various protocols and logical designs... this is targeted at lower level training; some people genuinely have never seen many of the hardware platforms; things like stacking modules on 3750-x or external redunant power supplies or power stack cables or [the dozens and dozens of different line cards you can put into various routers].

Networking is more than just the config. (mostly the config, but not just the config).

IGMP joke, please repost3 points · 2 months ago

I've hired a few guys who "had the certs" but had never actually seen the hardware.

Like they had no idea how to perform a code upgrade with a USB key and a console cable. Where do these go? Blew my mind.

It is entirely possible to pass the CCNA without knowing how to do a code upgrade or even be very familiar with layout of many popular switch models. It kinda seems like something that should be on the exam, but I never saw it on any test I took.

I have heard stories and makes me wonder how they get hired...

TCP on the streets, UDP in the sheets.1 point · 2 months ago

They are good bullshitters. Our NOC dealt with one who managed to work his way up to some sort of manager before he quit.

CCNP | ISP Operations1 point · 2 months ago

I am at an ISP, I've been through a gateway once and that was day one on the job. I've never seen a single piece of our of hardware since then (outside of Google images and customer pictures). That doesn't mean I'm a shit network admin.

AMA TP-Link,DrayTek and SonicWall4 points · 2 months ago

If it was actually realistic there would be booze on the top of the networking gear.

Also why is there no fighting over the crash cart because the bastards from IBM keep stealing it? 3/10

Studying Cisco Cert1 point · 2 months ago

Omg, the crash cart comment hit so close to home from my days as a DC tech.

Stubby Area3 points · 2 months ago

Where is the cable management. Doesn't seem very "realistic" at all.

They are simulating a crappy environment.

Cool, what's the source?

Try to loop the network so people come running in to see what's up.

This is a terrible simulator, I've never seen a ethernet cable be that wobbly. /s

ping -c 11 point · 2 months ago

Holy shit, I want this for our apprentices.

this is not what I expected, I was thinking about VIRL or GNS probably Unetlab

I tried it at Cisco live, the text was so fuzzy it was really hard to read and figure out what you were suppose to do.

Comment deleted2 months ago
Moderator of r/networking, speaking officially-1 points · 2 months ago

Thanks for your interest in posting to this subreddit. To combat spam new accounts can't immediately submit or post.

Please DO NOT message the mods requesting your post be approved.

You are welcome to resubmit your thread or comment in ~24 hrs or so.

If cisco is going to invest in network simulators, they should fix CML first. What a piece of shit.

Comment deleted1 month ago
Moderator of r/networking, speaking officially1 point · 1 month ago

Please DO NOT message the mods requesting your post be approved.

You are welcome to resubmit your thread or comment in ~24 hrs or so.

Cisco must be live in the past. Remotely controlled bots and drones will replace humans in the datacenter. Sure, system admins are still going to control them remotely, but no need to actually walk in for repetitive tasks. Unless they are planning to use this software to control the actual robot 😊

Except I suspect datacenter chappie will not actually need human hands.

I haven't seen any datacenter drones in anybody's cage at any colo yet. I imagine it is just a matter of time, but unless you have a huge cage there isn't a ton of labor in moving cables.

###Enterprise Networking Routers, switches and firewalls. Network blogs, news and network management articles. Cisco, Juniper, Brocade and more all welcome.

r/networking Rules
Rule #1: No Home Networking.
Rule #2: No Certification Brain Dumps / Cheating.
Rule #3: No BlogSpam / Traffic re-direction.
Rule #4: No Low Quality Posts.
Rule #5: No Early Career Advice.
Rule #6: Educational Questions must show effort.