Slow SCP to IOS

I expected TFTP to be slow on IOS. Switched to SCP and I'm topping out at ~45Kbps. I get consistently slow speed on 3560(X), 3750(X) and similar vintage devices.

Doing sh proc cpu hist suggests the switch's CPU is bottlenecking on the encryption cycles. I looked at changing the ciphersuite to a less cpu-intensive one such as RC4, but didn't get very far.

Thoughts?

Vintage devices

SCP is slow

CPU hammered by cipher

Sounds on par.

Original Poster1 point · 2 months ago

Thanks for the confirmation

I had the same thing happen to me you did. 2960-S got maxed out of CPU and kept dropping the TCP session. 3750-X did the same in terms of the CPU but at least managed to keep the session open and crunch through the transfer eventually.

Needless to say, never going to do this in production, ever.

Why not use ftp or http?

Original Poster1 point · 2 months ago

In this case I'm using python to kick off the transfer, which is currently built around scp. I could refactor for http, but I want to be sure there isn't an easier way first.

Any CoPP policy configured by chance?

Original Poster1 point · 2 months ago

Nope

Have you tried sourcing the copy from the device?

Original Poster1 point · 2 months ago

Not SCP. I did try that via HTTP and managed ~200Kbps

Comment deleted2 months ago
Moderator of r/networking, speaking officially1 point · 2 months ago

Thanks for your interest in posting to this subreddit. To combat spam new accounts can't immediately submit or post.

Please DO NOT message the mods requesting your post be approved.

You are welcome to resubmit your thread or comment in ~24 hrs or so.

Is your key size enormous?

Original Poster1 point · 2 months ago

2048, but that's just key exchange. Looks like the session negotiates aes-128

try FTP

CCIE1 point · 2 months ago

It took 3 hours and change to SCP an image to an off-site ASR the other day.

I've had similar performance of around 75kbps on FTP on 3560cx switches. I get much better performance on ISR4400, c3850, c9300, 2960x, and isr2951, and other more modern devices.

###Enterprise Networking Routers, switches and firewalls. Network blogs, news and network management articles. Cisco, Juniper, Brocade and more all welcome.

r/networking Rules
Rule #1: No Home Networking.
Rule #2: No Certification Brain Dumps / Cheating.
Rule #3: No BlogSpam / Traffic re-direction.
Rule #4: No Low Quality Posts.
Rule #5: No Early Career Advice.
Rule #6: Educational Questions must show effort.