I have been working in Networking domain since almost 8 years. Did not clear CCIE R&S. I still feel I am not up to the mark in terms of being an expert . Am I the only one feeling this way? What do I do to get to that level?

5 years here, I've worked with several things, yet I still feel as if I knew nothing because it's mostly theory for me, a lot of the things I've studied, worked in labs, etc. I have not experienced in real life. You're not the only one I guess, I tend to believe we're always situational experts. In other words, you won't be the expert all the time, just when a situation you have dealt/suffered with before arises, this doesn't depend on the time you have in the field, and doesn't happen always.

To myself, this doesn't really mean experts are only made by experience, there are a lot of experts in theory which is needed to build, tweak, maintain and fix things based on known facts that are not 100% obvious so you have to dig further into core mechanics and historic data, and also based on prior knowledge of others so the mistakes are not repeated.

I've been the so-called expert many times, while others I'm just the newbie who has to pay attention to what the expert says, then on other times this switches over.

It's the same on all fields, there's a bunch of basic things we all know and then there are those complex, rare to see, yet needed, things that's when "a call for experts" arise.

My only advice to you is to try to keep enjoying what you do, in the end you should do these things because you love them, the more you do something you love, the more you're close to always being the expert and the less you really care about that tittle so this stress just goes away.

Original Poster5 points · 1 month ago

Thank you for taking the time to write this, appreciate it!

No, I spent years in networking but there are tons of things I don't know because I did not encounter them. I study more but unless you work where you get to deal with it then it can be difficult to really pick up.

Original Poster6 points · 1 month ago

Thanks, now I feel better knowing I am not the only one

1 more reply

This is a hard situation and I’ve been there. The CCIE is fickle... it really doesn’t mean an expert as what you are being tested on doesn’t represent any design principle today... it’s a gut check and nothing more.

I almost look at it like a military tough-guy school. It’s not so much about applying what the CCIE teaches you as much as it demonstrates that you have “overcome the shitshow” and that you can handle almost any project in terms of stress and workload (not content) through research and testing. You almost have to put blinders on and just focus on the borderline stupid structure that is the CCIE.

It’s really hard to say that your job would or would not help you on your journey but for most it’s the latter.

Keep cracking on INE, Cisco365 labs, etc... you’ll get there! Remember, as long as you don’t stop, it’s not a matter of “if” you get your CCIE as much as “when” you get it!

In the end, the CCIE doesn’t mean you are an expert, and being an expert doesn’t mean you you’ll get your CCIE. It’s a badge of “yeah I did it.” That’s all.

Original Poster2 points · 1 month ago

Thank you for the reassuring words. It helped me a lot just to get over the mental block that I have been dealing with lately.

alphabets4 points · 1 month ago · edited 1 month ago

If it makes you any better, I didn't get my digits until 10 years into the field.

You just have to put in the yards and the LABBING. You have to be able to clear the INE and C360 full labs with your eyes closed in 4 hours. Then you know you're ready. Also TSHOOT dear god that is what fails most people. Your troubleshooting methodology has to be SPOT ON with each technology - you should be able to find the problem via drilling down 3-4 show commands - there is no time to log in and stare at multiple show runs hoping to spot the error.

Speed speed speed. Get your speed up. Read the scenarios top to bottom before you start a single conf t. Then notepad that shit in one pass e.g. setting up OSPF, might as well turn on ip mpls as well and run up your LDP in a single pass. etc. Also learn the famous TCL troubleshooting script where you basically ping everything from everything, run that constantly to make sure you haven't messed anything up and catch it right away.

Plus second time round you'll know exactly whats coming... its like you paid 1500USD for an official dump :) The details may change but the basic scenario is going to be the same.

1 more reply

Home labs help.

Original Poster2 points · 1 month ago

Have any work books in mind apart from ine and narbik

1 point · 1 month ago · edited 1 month ago

Honestly I’ve never used or even heard of any. I mainly use YouTube and replicate what I use at work and add things to it. I really like PFSense, Sophos UTM, and ubiquity switches and AP’s.

CCNA1 point · 1 month ago

Check out r/ccie. Tons of info about preparing for the CCIE. HTH.

52 points · 1 month ago · edited 1 month ago

nearly 20 years now. even passed the CCIE written, but had to abandon it cause my company changed their policy.

you can study as much as you want. you need it for a good understanding in fundamentals, or else, you drown in the real-life troubles you might encounter.

yet onsite, hands on, troubleshooting... thats were the true experts are grown.

network is hard floor, if you do your job well, and all runs like charm... thats it, job done.

but when you solve a problem, where 5 people before you failed, with no hassle - thats true satisfaction and the few moments i really feel like an expert.

5 more replies

In any complex field, there will always be more to know. If you know the fundamentals of the field and how to investigate, learn and solve, you are OK. The more of an "expert" you are the more narrow your focus will be. If that is what you want, OK. But don't be driven into being a specialist when you want to be a generalist. Both have their places. If you want to be a generalist, you need to know when it is time to bring in a specialist.

Also, don't be caught by "Impostor Syndrome". The first time I saw this tear up someone, I didn't even know it had a name.

CCNP, JNCIS-ENT2 points · 1 month ago

I have 10 years in networking now and I'm still never the smartest person in the room. But that's OK since there are new technologies coming out every year with networking so everyone starts at square 1 when something new comes out.

Also I think I mentioned this earlier, but certifications are good when youre starting out, but certs don't hold that much weight anymore in your mid to senior level. I would take someone with more experience than someone who has more certs. Also Cisco certs have devalued a lot in the past few years bc theres so many vendors out there and limiting yourself to one vendor is not going your company or customers any good.

I know the people with Cisco certs ALWAYS recommend Cisco products even when there are other alternatives that are half the price. Kind of cult-ish.

I've held my CCNA for about 8 years now, and worked on my CCNP (had to retake a test because it timed out). My last job, I was THE wireless guy, with about 4000 access points. I really didn't do crap with our wired side of the net, or firewall, or VPN. Being the "expert" on wifi was nice to really only have to manage one big system, but the scope of all of these things inside the tests don't really hit in the day to day.

At my current job, I have less than 100 APs but manage WAN/SDWAN/multiple firewalls, VoIP... you name it, I have to dabble in it. As most people say, you're going to get there with experience if you keep learning and fixing things. Don't stagnate.

I don't ever plan on getting my CCIE, but I'm ok with that.

2 more replies

Of course you are not the only one. Bear in mind most certifications are pretty tricky as you need to have previous field experience and need to be good managing the time while taking the exam, not to mention that the logic behind the questions is sometimes twisted and re-twisted. Many IT pros don’t pass the first exam of their certifications because of this. If you didn’t pass the exam the first time, that doesn’t mean you are less professional.

I don’t know how old you are, but don’t get frustrated just because of this. I think I can speak for many others, including myself, who failed to obtain a certificate in the first try. Keep studying, keep working, stay positive and don’t punish yourself. Hard work ends up paying!

Original Poster1 point · 1 month ago

I'm 33 years old

It doesn't really matter how many years of experience you have, it matters what that experience is.

I've known people who have worked 20+ years as a contractor in a NOC. They might be one of the best people in that NOC and very familiar with their backbone, but when you analyze their skills and knowledge you realize they don't actually know networking, they know various "sacred commands" passed down to them, and who to to kick a ticket over to depending on what the command shows.

Meanwhile the guy who worked for a VAR for 2-3 years and set up and replaced entire networks for multiple companies is way more useful experience than that NOC guy.

CCNP2 points · 1 month ago

I dont have a CCIE. Im still up in the air about getting it merely for the achievement but I dont feel it makes you an expert. IMO getting the CCNP R&S puts you where you need to be than branching out to more specific topics makes you the expert. I put alot of time into learning things like BGP, QoS, Design, VoIP, Wireless, Security. It made me really well rounded and I can handle just about anything that gets in my way in my current organization and in my previous one. I do some consultating on the side and this usually covers most small, medium sized business needs as well. Getting the CCIE wont do that for me.

Don't touch th...2 points · 1 month ago

12 years now for me I think, maybe 13, to early for math. I am not sure I will ever be able to feel like an expert, solely because things are always changing in our field. Its one of the main reasons I still do this. Always something new to learn if you burned out of one area. I do believe however you can maintain expertish knowledge for a foundation. So long as you can understand the way things are supposed to work and have a solid troubleshooting, design methodology, you can usualy figure out things in a relatively quick and sufficient manner.

CCIE is not needed to be an expert. Nowadays you need to be flexible. 😊

6 more replies

CCIE or even CCNP does not make one an expert.

Networking at least as I run into it has changed from almost all cisco to almost no cisco. I see a ton of other layer 2/3 companies out in the wild. Most of the time for me its Aruba, Brocade, Adtran and the odd Juniper. Cisco has priced themselves out of a lot of companies.

Dont get me wrong full stack Cisco can be nice but most companies now a days cant afford it. Dont get me started on the dumpster fire that is ASA.

6 years working as Linux admin here.

I still describe myself as/feel like a junior. There’s tons of shit I’ve never had to work with in a professional setting and I’m not sure how to “simulate” a lot of the stuff the field requires of senior level admins to learn on my own.

Networking for example is something I’ve never had to really touch outside of DNS (if that counts). I can’t write subnets or convert CIDR to save my life. The concepts just don’t click with me.

10 more replies

CCNA2 points · 1 month ago

I’m studying for my CCNP R&S, but if I do go for a CCIE it will be a while. I’m planning on aiming for my F5 certifications, Junos certs, CISSP, and several other certs. Branching out will benefit me more in the long run is what I’m discovering. We have several engineers that are specialized and when it gets outside of their AOR, they’re stumped. I’ve got experience to know the other technologies so I can keep troubleshooting at that point.

Had a friend who worked for Cisco for years, got 4 free exam attempts at his IE so went for his RS. Was studying hard and attempted / failed 3 times over 2 years. Ended up going for his DC IE instead on his final free attempt and got that.

Imposter syndrome, it's nothing new.

2 more replies

1 point · 1 month ago

If you are talking about the lab it is tough. Depends on how far you were from passing. You need a combination of knowledge, speed, accuracy and a bit of luck. To pass you should be able to troubleshoot lots of scenarios quickly. The core technologies such as MPLS with layers is where you will need to be very good. I could build an MPLS topology with 8 - 10 routers from the ground up in 10-15 minutes when I passed my exam. Be very good on the core techs and after not passing realistically figure out why you did not. Were you good enough on the core technologies? Could you troubleshoot scenarios quickly and accurately enough?

2 more replies

How meaningful is the CCIE anymore? I know twenty years ago it was practically a license to print money but after 50,000 people have achieved it can it really hold much value?

Has the world ever needed that many Cisco "experts"? Now with virtualization, cloud computing, and higher switch density leading to a reduction in the amount of networking gear needed in many environments it seems to me that chasing that certification is a poor allocation of time and resources. Not to mention the rampart cheating that goes on in many countries where security isn't taken very seriously.

CCNP, JNCIS-ENT2 points · 1 month ago

Cisco certifications used to hold a lot more weight than they do now. There's so many other vendors out there that you're doing yourself a disservice by having certifications and only one vendor. It's better to have a lot of General networking knowledge

A+/N+/S+/CCNA1 point · 1 month ago

no one is an expert in everything, but alot focus on certain technologies.

i feel im always behind the curve, but deal with cisco firewalls all day but i feel like crap when i dont know how to configure say qos

My friend once told me that it takes 1.5 years to study for the CCIE and 1.5 years to learn the test. That test is about time management in a lot of ways, there are things in there to make you waste time.

when you start to feel you're an expert, is when you probably need to quit. as long as you're learning something everyday, you have value to give. there aren't very many CCIE's, relatively speaking.

###Enterprise Networking Routers, switches and firewalls. Network blogs, news and network management articles. Cisco, Juniper, Brocade and more all welcome.

r/networking Rules
Rule #1: No Home Networking.
Rule #2: No Certification Brain Dumps / Cheating.
Rule #3: No BlogSpam / Traffic re-direction.
Rule #4: No Low Quality Posts.
Rule #5: No Early Career Advice.
Rule #6: Educational Questions must show effort.