Posted by
Does not answer PMs
1 year ago
ArchivedModerator of r/news

Comey Hearing Megathread

At 10am EST today, ex-FBI Director, James Comey will testify before the Senate Intelligence Committee about his interactions with President Trump.

You can read his prepared opening statement here.

Watch Comey's testimony before the Senate Intelligence Committee here.

For people who have not been following the Russia investigation closely, the LA Times makes an effort to explain it all here.

Reddit Live Thread here.

The hearing is now over.

You can read the full transcript of the hearing here.

President Trump's attorney is expected to make a statement. You can watch it here.

This megathread will serve as the central discussion point for all things Comey/Trump today. As a result, the mod team will remove all other submissions relating to this topic.

9.3k comments
Moderator of r/news, speaking officiallyScore hidden · 1 year ago · Stickied comment

If there are any issues with the links in the megathread, please reply to this comment so I can update it.

21 more replies

1.1k points · 1 year ago

"A lot of conversations with humans over the years"

459 points · 1 year ago

Comey's a robot confirmed.

7 more replies

9 more replies

4.7k points · 1 year ago

The cameras are always on Comey and yet even during the questions that are about highly classified information he hasn't flinched once. He has an incredible poker face.

I mean, he worked for the FBI.

2.6k points · 1 year ago

And the FBI worked for him.

TIL the FBI Director is chosen in a big game of Poker, last man standing gets the job and becomes the alpha agent.

That's how H.W. Bush got the CIA. As is tradition.

20 more replies

16 more replies

45 more replies

4.2k points · 1 year ago

McCain sounds like I did when I tried to BS my way through Model UN in highschool.

1.5k points · 1 year ago

The man is 80 years old why is he still doing this shit?

Cuz other 80yo in AZ keep voting for him.

2.0k points · 1 year ago

90 year olds.

"what a nice young man"

100 year olds.

"Where am I"

230 points · 1 year ago

"What happened to Strom Thurmond?"

3 more replies

27 more replies

2 more replies

47 more replies

27 more replies

82 more replies

"That is not something I can answer in an open setting"

1.7k points · 1 year ago

she seems to be asking questions that she knows he can't answer, really weird.

2.9k points · 1 year ago

I took it as she (and the others asking obviously confidential information) was trying to make it known to the public that these questions would be asked during the closed session

Correct. She wasn't there for easy answers.

1 more reply

628 points · 1 year ago

Yeah, the senators need to show that they're going to ask these questions, and they know the people deserve to hear that answer. Nobody can say, "Why didn't you ask X?"

6 more replies

1.3k points · 1 year ago

It confirms to the public that there is classified about the subject of the question. Otherwise he could answer.

1.0k points · 1 year ago

And makes it public record. That's important for the legal paper trail.

25 more replies

17 more replies

10 more replies

1.0k points · 1 year ago

Think about it guys...the biggest mass watching of C-Span in its history.

1.2k points · 1 year ago

"Sir, the ratings are in! One hundred fifty-"

"Wow...one hundred and fifty whole viewers! The best day for CSPAN yet!"

"No, sir, I must finish: one hundred and fifty million."

"Mother of God."

135 points · 1 year ago

Brian Lamb just came for the first time since the Reagan administration

3 more replies

7 more replies

21 more replies

4.5k points · 1 year ago

McCain has released a statement about his questions.

“I get the sense from Twitter that my line of questioning today went over people’s heads. Maybe going forward I shouldn’t stay up late watching the Diamondbacks night games.

“What I was trying to get at was whether Mr. Comey believes that any of his interactions with the President rise to the level of obstruction of justice. In the case of Secretary Clinton’s emails, Mr. Comey was willing to step beyond his role as an investigator and state his belief about what ‘no reasonable prosecutor’ would conclude about the evidence. I wanted Mr. Comey to apply the same approach to the key question surrounding his interactions with President Trump—whether or not the President’s conduct constitutes obstruction of justice. While I missed an opportunity in today’s hearing, I still believe this question is important, and I intend to submit it in writing to Mr. Comey for the record.”

Wow, dude, that was not at all clear.

3.1k points · 1 year ago

Evidently McCain still has aides who can provide plausible cover for his word-salad earlier.

1.3k points · 1 year ago

His aides were probably facepalming and going into damage control mode as he was still speaking.

Why don't we just elect the aides, they're clearly more squared away than most of the politicians they work for? I'm talking about both sides of the aisle here

As someone who knows a lot of aids on Capitol Hill. They are way too smart to want to be an elected official lmao.

12 more replies

40 more replies

21 more replies

30 more replies

And his stuttering, rambling, mumbles did not at ALL get there. And even if he had, Comey Fucking answered the questions asked in the statement and McCain kept bumbling.

its almost as if 80 is too old to be a senator

24 more replies

31 more replies

643 points · 1 year ago

this guy was rambling like an idiot and made no sense. . he kept treating hilary being cleared of charges in email case as being part of the russia investigation which it was not.

49 more replies

116 more replies

3.3k points · 1 year ago

I feel like McCain might need to retire. He's not making sense.

4.3k points · 1 year ago

Excuse me? He addressed President Comey very clearly regarding the Comey investigation, and tried to figure out why Comey fired Comey.

I agree. he very eloquently inquired of Comey as to why President Comey is under investigation, if Clinton Comey Trump Russia investigation double standard Comey Clinton. If Trump investigation was Clinton, why was Clinton President Comey Trump?

made perfect sense. to me, at least.

217 points · 1 year ago

Dennis is asshole. Why Charlie hate?

8 more replies

11 more replies

He was stumbling over ever other question and getting names / titles wrong repeatedly. I have not seen him appear like this previously...

Well, you see, McCain was vaccinated as a child.

This let him survive until old age, which is why he's acting like this now.

/s

12 more replies

6 more replies

20 more replies

I feel like McCain might need to retire. He's not making sense.

McCain: Guns, border control and the sanctity of marriage.

Arizona reelects the corpse of John McCain to another term

27 more replies

22 more replies

1.7k points · 1 year ago · edited 1 year ago

Probably my favorite thing that was said

"The president called me (to set up a dinner) and I had to call my wife and cancel. I was supposed to go on a date with her that night. I love my wife and, in retrospect, I wish I'd have gone to that dinner that night instead." - Minor paraphrase

1.6k points · 1 year ago

"I like spending time with my wife" (said in a damn Senate hearing with the entire world watching)

This guy husbands.

233 points · 1 year ago

While under oath! :D

1 more reply

This guy fucks (his wife)

10 more replies

5 more replies

15 more replies

3.4k points · 1 year ago

"Why did you make memos of your conversation with Trump, when you haven't done this with any other president before"?

He answered this exact same question 20 minutes ago, damn...

2.5k points · 1 year ago

And not just 20 minutes ago, he's repeatedly said it was because he did not trust Trump not to misrepresent the contents of his meetings and realized that it might be pertinent in a future investigation.

Dude's got a lot of foresight.

85 more replies

110 more replies

22 more replies

2.6k points · 1 year ago · edited 1 year ago

My god. This Comey man is a giant isn't he. I'm not American and kept up with the news but never saw him actually standing. 6ft 7 is beastly.

1.4k points · 1 year ago

I'm 6'7" and when I shook his hand (just a brief meeting at something he spoke at), I'm almost positive he's slightly taller than I am.

He's 6'8" according to google.

I think it's more fun to say he's 6'7" and he's just taller than every other 6'7" person. Makes him more heroic.

20 more replies

23 more replies

17 more replies

10 more replies

415 points · 1 year ago

He is tall as shit

13 more replies

49 more replies

2.0k points · 1 year ago

Comey leaked his own memo because he thought the people should know? Holy shit.

1.3k points · 1 year ago

Comey has so much foresight. He said he wrote the memos to make sure they could be publicly released.

1.0k points · 1 year ago

Yep. And intentionally didn't put any classified info so they were ready to release publicly without any editing. Clever fellow.

26 more replies

17 more replies

38 more replies

"President Comey"

McCain is losing it, man.

McCain's questioning was just all over the damn place. I don't think he understands that the FBI can handle multiple investigations at the same time..

2 more replies

McCain was trying to get him to say Hillarys campaign was involved with Russia. What in the hell

8 more replies

281 points · 1 year ago

Idk man, Comey2020 has a nice ring to it

18 more replies

16 more replies

John McCain is embarrassing himself.

1.6k points · 1 year ago

I totally agree. For the most part I quietly listened to the hearing, this made me scream. Comey eloquently explained that the Clinton EMAIL investigation had concluded because there is nothing else to investigate and then stated that this is a completely different investigation that is of course on going.

For the life of me I can't figure out why McCain decided to keep going in circles asking the same question after Comey explained it time and time again. He made a fool of himself.

1.2k points · 1 year ago

He sounded senile, like he wasn't sure what was going on. He was tripping over his words, he called Comey president twice

51 more replies

Yea it seemed like he couldn't process the fact that they were two different investigations and that it had nothing to do with "double standards"

7 more replies

24 more replies

When he confused Trump and Comey and misspoke, I winced.

6 more replies

73 more replies

1.2k points · 1 year ago

Comey came prepared. It helped he had a few days of undistracted time to prep.

His boss was kind enough to free up his work schedule to let him prepare.

8 more replies

292 points · 1 year ago

Also thank God he wrote down what happened while talking to trump

197 points · 1 year ago · edited 1 year ago

But I mean as he said himself, all the factors added up to make the conversations need to be recorded, with one specifically being trumps character

And you don't become an FBI director by being a bad judge of character

2 more replies

2 more replies

7 more replies

4.9k points · 1 year ago

why were you fired? "I take the president at his word, because of the russia investigation."

1.5k points · 1 year ago

It's pretty obvious really. Good thing he said it though.

154 more replies

76 more replies

6.8k points · 1 year ago · edited 1 year ago

"The statue of justice has a blindfold on because you're not supposed to peek out and see if your patron is pleased" (paraphrasing) This was an Oscar worthy statement good grief. My jaw dropped.

Edit: peak to peek. I'm so sorry.

3.8k points · 1 year ago

I like the "Will no one rid me of this meddlesome priest" part as well.

Comey is well-read and well-spoken. Whoever stars as him in the upcoming movie will have a solid chance at winning an Oscar lol.

Yeah that was also a great moment. I want Adam Sandler to play John McCain.

With Rob Schneider as the gavel.

"This summer! Rob Schneider is... THE GAVEL!"

Rated PG-13

5 more replies

11 more replies

14 more replies

28 more replies

39 more replies

That and the "this whole messy country" speech were straight out of a movie. He's incredibly well-spoken.

2.4k points · 1 year ago · edited 1 year ago

“The reason this is such a big deal is we have this big messy wonderful country where we fight with each other all the time but nobody tells us what to think, what to fight about, what to vote for except other Americans,” he said. “And that's wonderful and often painful. But we're talking about a foreign government that using technical intrusion, lots of other methods tried to shape the way we think, we vote, we act. That is a big deal. And people need to recognize it.” — James Comey

Video thanks /u/Master_Tallness!

Second Video w/timestamp hopefully thanks /u/barrtender

925 points · 1 year ago · edited 1 year ago

He became very animated and passionate any time he talked about that. How anyone could question his commitment to his country and his job after what he said and how he said is unfathomable.

EDIT: grammar

69 more replies

57 more replies

Yup. Had to go look it up again:

"The reason this is such a big deal. We have this big messy wonderful country where we fight with each other all the time. But nobody tells us what to think, what to fight about, what to vote for except other Americans. And that's wonderful and often painful. But we're talking about a foreign government that, using technical intrusion, lots of other methods, tried to shape the way we think, we vote, we act. That is a big deal. And people need to recognize it. It's not about Republicans or Democrats. They're coming after America, which I hope we all love equally. They want to undermine our credibility in the face the world. They think that this great experiment of ours is a threat to them. So they're going to try to run it down and dirty it up as much as possible. That's what this is about and they will be back. Because we remain — as difficult as we can be with each other, we remain that shining city on the hill. And they don't like it."

3 more replies

20 more replies

265 points · 1 year ago

Omg, I missed that. Who said that?

Comey said it, it felt like it should have been Tom Cruise saying it to Jack Nicholson lol.

21 more replies

38 more replies

5.0k points · 1 year ago

Comey is Lawful Neutral.

3.7k points · 1 year ago

And fucking good at being interviewed. He's clear, articulate, professional, but also sounds at ease. His use of the word "sure," his minor self deprication, he seems very confident in what he's saying and what backs that up.

4.2k points · 1 year ago

He seems like just the guy you want for head of FBI.

2.7k points · 1 year ago

Maybe we should get him hired for that.

Yea, I think he's even available.

1.4k points · 1 year ago

Yea, I think he's even available.

No, didn't you hear McCain? Comey is president.

904 points · 1 year ago

To be entirely honest I would vote for him if he ran in 2020.

The man is level headed, well informed, sharp as a tack, and is used to working as part of a larger team.

Let's make it happen. Comey FOR PRESIDENT 2020!!

RemindMe! 2020 Glorious Leader Replacement Initiative

5 more replies

33 more replies

29 more replies

6 more replies

13 more replies

3 more replies

14 more replies

423 points · 1 year ago

And the honesty! Most people compensate for not knowing but he is willing to admit when he is unsure why he did something and whether or not he would do something were he to have his ware-with-all.

Really great FBI director.

8 more replies

426 points · 1 year ago

Taking notes on how to interview from this guy. If I can articulate my responses in my next med school interview as well as he is now, I'll get in for sure.

299 points · 1 year ago

If he ever wanted to teach college-level public speaking, he'd have students lined up outside his door.

1 more reply

9 more replies

25 more replies

47 more replies

Comey is so good at coming off as a human. Not saying he isn't, but he sure is good at looking like the most honest person on the face of the planet.

1.5k points · 1 year ago

Charisma is not a dump stat.

223 points · 1 year ago · edited 1 year ago

Tell that to my Half-Orc Fighter

Edit: Guys, I know CHA is important for a character relying on intimidation, but I don't play him that way. It was a conscious decision based on the character, but I appreciate the advice :)

28 more replies

10 more replies

776 points · 1 year ago

It's called intelligence.

Yes but it's not just intelligence as in fast processing speed (though I'm sure he's got that nailed down), but certainly high social and emotional intelligence

614 points · 1 year ago

In the DnD world, we call that wisdom and charisma

512 points · 1 year ago

Intelligence is knowing a tomato is a fruit.

Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

Charisma is successfully selling a tomato-based fruit salad.

825 points · 1 year agoGilded1

It's called salsa.

318 points · 1 year ago

Found the bard

6 more replies

3 more replies

8 more replies

22 more replies

5 more replies

3 more replies

454 points · 1 year ago

Remember when our Presidents were intelligent and well spoken as well?

374 points · 1 year ago

I remember it like it was just a few months ago...

19 more replies

11 more replies

8 more replies

12 more replies

2.2k points · 1 year ago

Am I the only one waiting for trump to bust in like the kool aid man, yelling about stuff?

Instead of OH YEAH, it's WRONG, WRONG, WRONG!

408 points · 1 year ago

Instead of spilling kool aid, his wig shifts slightly right.

19 more replies

10 more replies

29 more replies

Did McCain just have a stroke live? Honestly I've listened to what he said twice and I feel like I'm listening some senile guy in a retirement home wondering what he is doing there.

87 points · 1 year ago

I was impressed with Comey's restraint when McCain was talking. In his seat, I would have at least been making some remarkable facial expressions, but Comey just played it so damn neutral. Among other things, he probably realized there was no need to engage too seriously with such absurdity.

2 more replies

20 more replies

1.1k points · 1 year ago

Man, he is so level headed. This will be very interesting to see how the media spins this.

886 points · 1 year ago

When you're telling the truth you don't have to bullshit and dodge. It shows

764 points · 1 year ago

You also don't have to begin nearly every statement with "believe me."

5 more replies

927 points · 1 year ago

Look at what a SHOWBOAT he is! Answering questions honestly and promptly? In a Congressional inquiry? What the hell is he playing at?!

No wonder trump didn't like him, he comes off as presidential.

123 points · 1 year ago

McCain certainly thought so.

6 more replies

12 more replies

22 more replies

792 points · 1 year ago

Comey has fire in his eyes. This is very entertaining to watch as a non-American.

He's fresh out of fucks and yet remaining completely non threatening and polite. I'm kind of in awe at his balance between the two.

240 points · 1 year ago · edited 1 year ago

I wouldn't normally vote for a Republican. I'm extremely liberal. But I'll take a principled honest man under pressure like him any day. If he ran, I'd vote for him.

Not that he will.....just saying.

Edit: Well I've been informed he's an independent. I was wrong. Even better IMHO. :)

He has stated he's an independent and I think he might be one of the few people who actually is.

18 more replies

10 more replies

2 more replies

McCain has become the poster child for Congressional term limits.

8 more replies

391 points · 1 year ago

Found this interesting. Chyrons (headlines across the bottom of the screen) from MSNBC, CNN, and FOX side by side on a timeline.

70 points · 1 year ago

Fascinating. It's so clear when they're side by side.

14 more replies

40 more replies

2.1k points · 1 year ago

This senator is basically asking Comey why he didn't teach Trump how to be president

I want him to say something along the lines of, "The president was a grown man, senator"

2.8k points · 1 year agoGilded1 · edited 1 year ago

I don't think he's supposed to lie during the hearing though.

Edit: obligatory thanks for the gold etc.

"I am not a babysitter, Senator. The president is a grown man in the eyes of the law".

5 more replies

16 more replies

Comment deleted1 year ago(20 children)

20 more replies

1 more reply

Same thing basically as what Rubio said, lol.

27 more replies

1.4k points · 1 year ago · edited 1 year ago

I'm like 85% sure McCain is exhibiting early Alzheimer's, this dude is stumbling on words, confused af. Keeps repeating points that Comey is answering, I mean dude...

May not be... early onset

308 points · 1 year ago

Early symptoms, not early onset.

2 more replies

41 more replies

Comey says the AG Lynch/Bill Clinton tarmac meeting was why he went public on Clinton email investigation

God damn did the Clinton's and the DNC fuck up badly this past election cycle.

1.8k points · 1 year ago · edited 1 year ago

It was the worst ran campaign in modern history.

It's like she forgot that the electoral college matters.

275 more replies

108 more replies

Senator Burr: "Are you confident that no votes cast in the 2016 presidential election were altered?"

Comey: "I'm confident."

134 more replies

Comment deleted1 year ago(127 children)

You got that right and I think that this point here is much more important than we realize. This guy plainly stated that he wrote these because he felt that Trump would lie about the topics discussed at the meetings.

Comey is a smart mofo, he knew something was up and I'm dying to know what is going to get said in closed session.

154 points · 1 year ago

I'm just glad we live in a country where he's still alive to say these things at a hearing, let alone have the foresight and analysis of what's going on.

3 more replies

211 points · 1 year ago

I mean Trump's lawyer has already literally said that Trump did not ask for loyalty. It is playing out exactly how Comey expected.

32 more replies

3 more replies

You could see his mind working just answering the questions in such a way as to not betray his duty to keep classified secrets. He seems like a good man. And a very smart one.

24 more replies

461 points · 1 year ago

He's been pretty smart about this for sure.

16 more replies

44 more replies

What are today's drinking game rules?

Comment deleted1 year ago(13 children)

If Spicer is mentioned, take a shot of Fireball.

2 more replies

10 more replies

15 more replies

2.8k points · 1 year ago

Trump sounds like the boss that unofficially pressures you to ignore OSHA to reach production, but throws you under the bus the moment you get caught.

774 points · 1 year ago

It would not surprise me in the least if he had actually done that before.

429 points · 1 year ago

Well his companies and contractors have had their fair share of OSHA violations.

5 more replies

6 more replies

538 points · 1 year ago

Exactly. Anyone with half a mind sees through the, "I hope you can let this go" bullshit

23 more replies

27 more replies

Comment deleted1 year ago(12 children)

The young dude behind comey was cackling under his breath the whole time. McCain is obviously too old to do his job nowadays.

11 more replies

1.0k points · 1 year ago

"Was that a hostile act by a foreign adversary on the American government?"

"Yes"

Jesus christ.

81 more replies

Glad I'm not the only one confused about what McCain's talking about.

561 points · 1 year ago

Why did you make memos about your meetings?

"......the nature of the person I was dealing with....."

2 more replies

185 points · 1 year ago

"That's a nice job ya got there. It'd be a shame if something happened to it..."

1 more reply

Comey's stoic look is just intimidating as hell

298 points · 1 year ago

Dude's also like 6'8" he's imposing as fuck

He has the higher ground.

10 more replies

11 more replies

140 points · 1 year ago

"Quote: Big Deal. End quote."

-Senator John "Big Deal" McCain

1 more reply

137 points · 1 year ago · edited 1 year ago

McCain Has finally lost his marbles .

Edit: Spelling

12 more replies

McCain seems tired. He doesn't seem to understand the emails and the Russia thing are completely different investigations.

Nor the different levels of severity by the way he's sounding right now. Poor guy.

10 more replies

9 more replies

All those people in the background tap-tap-tapping on their laptops.

6 more replies

1.1k points · 1 year ago

"If a robber holds a gun to your head and says 'I hope you give me your wallet', 'hope' is not the operative word"

I like her.

384 points · 1 year ago

You can immediately tell which congressmen/women have legal backgrounds as soon as they start asking questions.

That was one of the best examples of it

Well that and the fact she stated she was once a prosecutor before questioning Comey.

That's how I could tell she had a legal background, personally.

69 more replies

290 points · 1 year ago

Trump's going to walk in and start clapping like he did during Ted Cruz's rnc speech

14 more replies

255 points · 1 year ago

First time I hear Comey speak, you can tell that this guy is extremely sharp.

13 more replies

What a time to be alive. I mean, this is going to be one of the biggest tv events of the year. A senate hearing.

Nah I wanna hear about covfefe for 3 days again.

32 more replies

15 more replies

Cornyn: "Yes we do"

Comey: Exasperated look

Holy shit can someone take a screenshot of that moment? Comey looked like he did an eyeroll

2 more replies

208 points · 1 year ago

McCain was so incoherent and scatterbrained what a ridiculous disappointment.

109 points · 1 year ago

He's deliberately misunderstading the situation to try to connect Clinton to the existing investigation into russia. It's really stupid.

5 more replies

7 more replies

102 points · 1 year ago

Tuned in for the last few senators. Everyone had a biased lean in their questioning but goodness gracious McCain was a disaster. Every other senator had a thinly veiled agenda but toed the line about as much as expected. When Comey said he couldn't answer something in public they ended it at that point. But McCain starts off on a ramble about how they could possibly close the Hilary case but not the Donald one..... I mean.... they're 2 separate cases not at all linked. At least have some logic to the connection you're attempting to draw. Then when Comey was honestly trying to figure out what he was even trying to get at McCain is basically saying Hilary/Trump should both be under investigation for Russia because..... they were both in the election!?

In the end it sounds like Comey's upcoming private meeting will lead to more answers one way or the other.

10 more replies

"You don't know anybody who has been charged for saying 'I hope.' is that a fair statement?" Curious if you all agree to that being a fair statement, or leading?

208 points · 1 year ago

It's obviously leading. Everyone on that committee, Chairman Burr and Vice Chairman Warner included, have an agenda they are trying to advance. Some hide it better than others (Burr), others make it clearly evident (Warner, Risch).

7 more replies

30 more replies

649 points · 1 year ago

Rubio: "Someone should tell the president he shouldn't do this things"

Rubio just admitted Trump is incompetent, yes we know.

314 points · 1 year ago

Excellent idea, SENATOR Rubio. It's almost like we need a body of people who can exercise some sort of CHECK on the President, to BALANCE his authority. If only we had such a group whose job that was, and if we did have such a group how wonderful it would be if they actually could do their job...

But apparently we don't have anyone who is going to do that, do we?

2 more replies

12 more replies

158 points · 1 year ago · edited 1 year ago

Anyone able to explain what the heck McCain was talking about? I was a little confused, it seemed like he was implying that it didn't make sense that Comey had reached a conclusion on the Clinton email investigation and not the Russian investigation. How are they even related?

Edit: it reminded me of Conaways bizarre conversation with Comey here

Even Mccain doesn't know what he was talking about

24 more replies

What was with McCain? Was he the only senator that didn't exchange pleasantries before he begun his questioning or did I miss that part? He appeared slow, was unable to collect his thoughts together and was having a hard time to keep up.

He was easily the most nasty questioner, trying to mix up the Clinton email investigation and trying to say Clinton won't be charged in relation to the email investigation as the same as not being charged/investigated to the Russia investigation.

He was also the one republican senator who showed he had already made up his mind and had his guns blazing, but mostly firing blanks.

88 points · 1 year ago

He confused Comey with Trump at least three times. That alone concerns me how he is able to conduct himself during normal congressional meetings, let alone extremely important ones like the closed meeting later today.

Not to mention is blatant hostility and poor attempts at comparing the entirely unrelated Clinton and Trump investigations.

9 more replies

44 points · 1 year ago

He's 80. I'm honestly not surprised that he's not able to understand the concept of two separate investigations happening during a single election and is confusing the content of the two.

Or at least I hope it's just dementia, otherwise it just shows he wants to intentionally confuse the committee and the general public about those two investigations and push Comey into a partisan pro-hillary light (despite handing Trump the election.)

3 more replies

9 more replies

418 points · 1 year ago

McCain, what the fuck are you even talking about. Is he sick or sth. ?

He's barely making sense. His sentences sound like they were constructed by someone who has a hard time with English

15 more replies

272 points · 1 year ago

Comey: I hope there are tapes of Trump meeting.

508 points · 1 year ago · edited 1 year ago

Come now.

Get it right.

Lordy, I hope there are tapes.

It loses a lot if you leave out the "Lordy".

5 more replies

If you listen closely, you can hear the sound of White House aides holding Trump down from reaching his phone. He's got to be heated right now.

31 more replies

I love that the entire GOP defense of Trump is that he's a dumbass

746 points · 1 year ago

"Mr. Comey why didn't you tell the president that him trying to demand your loyalty and stop a criminal investigation was inappropriate?"

"Well, you were wearing an official-looking suit. You were basically asking for inappropriate suggestions!"

Grab him right by the investigation.

1 more reply

225 points · 1 year ago

That line was just so painful to hear.

1 more reply

6 more replies

277 points · 1 year ago

I'm not shocked because they use this defense. I'm shocked they used the most honest defense they could have used. He really is a dumbass.

I mean, he's super corrupt too, but he's been like that for decades. He's in his current mess because he keeps doing and saying stupid things. Just like a dumbass.

8 more replies

13 more replies

171 points · 1 year ago

SHOW ME WHAT YOU GOT

270 points · 1 year ago · edited 1 year ago

I honestly can't understand what the fuck McCain is supposed to be asking.

Edit: Is he equating the Hillary emails in severity with the Russia investigation? Is he confused that the email investigation was concluded without charges, yet expects the Russia investigation to also be concluded now?

I took it as him trying to state the FBI was investigating both candidates and since one investigation concluded(with no charges) before the other did that's some evidence of bias. Doesn't make a bit of sense, but that's how I heard it.

6 more replies

42 points · 1 year ago

He seems to think that russia investigation is something equally involving both candidates and the fact that all evidence is about trump and co is a double standard. Because he is fucking insane.

8 more replies

5,697 more replies

/r/news is: real news articles, primarily but not exclusively, news relating to the United States. /r/news isn't: editorials, commercials, political minutiae, shouting, justin bieber updates, kitty pictures. For a subreddit for all news-related content (editorials, satire, etc.) visit /r/inthenews.

r/news Rules
Not news
Opinion/analysis or advocacy piece
Politics
Title not from article/editorialized title
Paywall or is blogspam/steals content
Covers an already-submitted story
Racist, sexist, vitriolic, or overly crude
Unnecessarily rude or provocative
Cheap or distracting joke or meme
Breaks sitewide rules, witchhunting