Florida girl, 7, dies after being struck by stray bullet while sitting in car

5.9k comments

Hope they catch the fuckers. They have pretty good surveillance pics of the suspects so only a matter of time.

4.0k points · 1 month ago

I don't know why, but stray bullet deaths bother me much more than someone having the gun pointed at them. Maybe because they don't know what's happening when it happens, and they were minding their own business, too.

"It's not the bullet with your name on it you should be afraid of, but rather the one that says 'to whom it may concern'"

843 points · 1 month ago · edited 1 month ago

At first I thought you were just butchering the quote about bullets vs grenades (A bullet may have your name written on it, but a grenade says "to whom it may concern") but I think yours is actually the original and the one I knew is the bastardization.

You did the get the wording slightly off though:

It's not the bullet with my name on it that worries me. It's the one that says "To whom it may concern."

~Anonymous Belfast resident, quoted in London Guardian, 1991

I know it seems nitpicky but he's not telling people 'protect ya neck', he's saying ' normal people are dying in my neighborhood and there's nothing I can do to protect the ones I love'. It's not advice or admonishment so much as a statement about living in constant fear.

edit: for anyone who doesn't understand the context behind the quote, the Troubles were some serious shit- closer to the worst of modern day Afghanistan than Detroit or Camden or [insert bad neighborhood in America here] and they only officially ended in 2006.

Thank you for the actual quote and source! I knew I was paraphrasing, but threw in quotes so as not to seem like I was trying to take credit for someone else's profound words.

I actually like your wording of the quote more

5 more replies

Thanks for looking that up. It has a lot more gravity when you know it was said by someone who was living in a dangerous situation at the time.

Belfast here... Though we don't have a government, at least we don't have to worry about stray bullets now.

11 more replies

23 points · 1 month ago

All bullets say, "... or current resident".

10 more replies

• Brett Favre

22 more replies

16 more replies

because the human mind likes to create reason and we like to feel safe. random acts of violence shatter that comfort.

9 more replies

298 points · 1 month ago

I had a stray bullet come through my window once. It's very unnerving. Apparently it happens a lot in New Orleans with kids playing with guns. The cops who responded made it sound like it happens all the time. They found the gun in the alley outside my window and the cop was like "Oh it's just an accidental discharge." I said "Oh, okay, cool I guess."

386 points · 1 month ago

That shit isn't accidental it is negligent

I think I knew the kids and they were like 12 or 13 so I don't know if that's negligent as much as just bad kids. The way the alley was situated the only other option was someone took a shot at me intentionally, so I was just happy to hear that wasn't the case.

If a 12 year old has a gun, unsupervised, in an alleyway, there’s some bad and/or negligent parenting going on. There’s no level of “bad” 12 year old that can get around decent parenting to end up shooting off stray bullets in an alley.

Yeah, obviously. They found a bag of drugs next to the gun and if it's the kids I thought it was, they had also broken into the apartment next to me a couple times. When my landlord confronted the mom about it she was like "Yeah, that's their sign" when he showed her the graffiti they spray-painted outside the window. He said she pretty much laughed it off like boys will be boys. My landlord warned me about them when I moved in and I used to borrow my friend's pitbull and walk it in front of the apartment when the kids were hanging out outside so they thought it was mine and wouldn't break into my place. So instead they just accidentally shot a bullet through the window. Lucky me.

74 points · 1 month ago

"Guns, drugs, and armed robbery? Yeah, boys will be boys, ya know?"

4 more replies

9 more replies

Youre too confident here.Sometimes kids behavior goes well beyond the influence of a parent. Anecdotally - I've met great parents with screwed up kids.

On the flipside, I've met great kids with really fucked up parents.

7 more replies

15 more replies

36 points · 1 month ago

The way americans treat guns just blows my mind. If a 12 year old kid in the uk got hold of a gun and managed to 'accidental' discharge it into someones window it would be national news and their parents would be branded the 'worst parents in Britain'.

This is not normal behavior and most Americans would have the same WTF reaction that you are right now.

As for the tragedy with the little girl, well, it is national news so we ARE having a WTF reaction to it. Unfortunately this is what happens when criminal gangs go at it with each other. There isn't a simple solution to it either.

5 more replies

79 more replies

4 more replies

35 points · 1 month ago · edited 1 month ago

When I was a teenager I was with my dad in his truck driving through town, main street, nothing really going on. The back passenger window behind me shattered and fell into the truck, which surprised us but there wasn't really any other noise. It was super hot (alabama in the summer) and sometimes windows crack, tempered glass tends to just pop and crumble, so it wasn't a huge thing.

That afternoon we dropped the truck off to have the window replaced, and when we picked it up the next morning they showed us what they'd vacuumed out of the truck, broken glass and a 45 round, it wasn't very deformed so had lost almost all its speed before it hit the window (only comforting because it means they weren't shooting AT us) but still made the hairs on the back of my neck stand up knowing the window a few inches behind my head got shot out.

Similar incident while eating lunch in a diner. I was 8 or so. There's a "Crack!" and the window next to our table is now sporting a hole and tiny bits of glass is spread over the table. The bullet went down the middle of our table about head height, across two more tables, and hit the back block wall. It was a perpendicular hit, so it didn't ricochet but flattened out and fell onto the floor.

Considering the location, somebody was hunting, missed their target, and had failed to make sure downrange was clear.

From what I remember, the round's drop from the window to the wall wasn't all that great, so they hadn't fired up at a squirrel and it went on a long ballistic arc. They had to have been in visual range of the diner.

I remember being very put out I couldn't keep eating my hamburger. But then they made me a new one and I ate it quite happily while my father was having an energetic conversation with a number of sheriff deputies.

18 inches to one side and I'd have caught it with the crown of my head. The other direction and my father would have been hit in the jaw or neck.

2 more replies

I'm sure they'd be just as cool if someone accidentally discharged thier weapon through thier window.

Well, they took it very seriously up until they found the gun. I think they're so used to crazy stuff down there that they shrug off a lot of stuff that can't be helped, at least from their perspective: "Okay, nobody was trying to murder you, we've got other shit to go deal with."

In the front of a different apartment, a guy got shot six times and I went down and helped as much as I could. He had just gotten out of prison and his sister told him not to go out, but he wanted to go to the bar and some guys who had a beef with him shot him as he was walking home. My roommate and I heard the shots and we went to look out the front window and saw him dragging himself to the side of the road. My roommate goes "Is he shot?" And I went "Yep. I guess I should go down there." I asked him where he was shot and he said "Everywhere." He survived, but the cops were definitely dicks to him.

19 more replies

Nothing says "whoops, sorry about that, it was an accident with nothing nefarious going on!" like leaving a 100% legal gun owned by a responsible owner behind at the scene of the crime. He was just leaving it behind to help pay for the window!

24 more replies

518 points · 1 month ago · edited 1 month ago

That and you know the idiot who shot was just spraying because he actually doesn’t know how to use his gun. Which makes them even more dangerous to others.

Like that Moron who went and tried to shoot someone in a park full of kids and hit 2 very young kids...instead.

Source : https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/playground-shooting-friday-1.4707387

This happened in Canada where gun laws a strict but gang violence is going up. In Ottawa and Quebec cops went very hard on the biker gangs(hell angels) now that they have lost power its the gangs that are all over and the shooting are going up. Not sure if its all related but it feels like it.

What's with that ellipses?

171 points · 1 month ago

Dramatic.............. effect.

13 points · 1 month ago

Now you just sound like that wheezy kid from Malcolm in the Middle

5 more replies

22 points · 1 month ago

Going to don his sunglasses, forgot the pun.

2 more replies

u/commahorror's less famous cousin.

19 more replies

90 more replies

19 points · 1 month ago

It's too much of a real situation for us. When someone is a direct victim of a violent crime, it's easy to explain it away as if the victim knew or had it coming. But when it's a stray bullet, you know the victim didn't have anything to do with it and, thus, you can't try to rationalize it away so that it can't touch you.

432 more replies

Good luck catching someone like florida man

349 points · 1 month ago

I mean he's in the news pretty regularly, can't be that hard.

He's been arrested thousands of times. Just look at all the mugshots.

He is perpetual. Every arrest just causes him to manifest into a different body.

69 points · 1 month ago

Better watch what you say boy before you get a gator threw your window

I’m not scared of you, Uncle Ben. Wait... are you feeling well?

6 more replies

3 more replies

Florida Man's notoriety stems from being caught.

20 points · 1 month ago

Why do they keep releasing him? Does he keep escaping?

No mortal can contain him.

1 more reply

He doesn't escape, he is a spirit who transfers to a new vessel every time the old one is caught.

7 more replies

187 more replies

4.8k points · 1 month ago · edited 1 month ago

Jesus...the father was sitting in the same car as his daughter and saw her get shot. That part of the article alone is just hard to take in.

EDIT: Best to go to the r/aww section because you'll need something positive after reading that article.

1.4k points · 1 month ago

Thought the same thing, can’t imagine how he’s processing that. The kind of thing you never really get over.

1,076 more replies

And in the head! I don't know why but that seems like it would be so much more traumatic for the father than if it were another body part.

9 more replies

156 points · 1 month ago

I just want to hug him so hard. Fuck that is literally the worst thing that could ever happen to a person. Not only losing their child, but suddenly/unexpectedly right in front of you?! This poor family and innocent girl. Absolutely devastating. This shouldn’t fucking happen...

And just because of absolutely bad luck. Being in the wrong place at the wrong time and just in the way of a stray bullet...how awful it must be...

18 points · 1 month ago

Right?! I can even begin to imagine pain like that. No one should even have to.

No, fuck that. He wasn't in the wrong place at the wrong time. He was minding his business and taking care of his daughter.

The asshole who shot her was in the wrong place at the wrong time, doing the wrong thing. And he got somebody killed.

17 more replies

2 more replies

As a new father of a 5 month old little girl.... I noped the fuck out of that article real quick.

9 month old daughter right now. My soul is crushed.

My son just turned 7 😑. I cannot imagine. Id probably pray for a stray bullet to hit me as well.

Unimaginable pain...

2 more replies

Comment deleted1 month ago(17 children)

17 more replies

22 more replies

Reminds me of the story of Tyson Gay's daughter. He's an Olympic runner from local high school, still lives in Lexington I believe? His daughter was at a fast-food place and was hit by a stray bullet in the cross fire of a shootout. Messed up man..

141 points · 1 month ago

I was going to the theater once and there was a fight in the parking lot and a stray bullet went through the window and hit an employee in the arm. They didn't even shut the place down. They just put up some plywood where the bullet hole was.

Idk, I feel like plywood wouldn't do much to stop the bleeding...

Ahh, the old reddit shoot-a-roo

22 points · 1 month ago

Hold my firearms, I'm going in!

Hello future shooters!

17 points · 1 month ago

Another day, another Doug.

1 more reply

Reminded me of possibly the saddest news story of all time:

Stray bullet kills man playing solitaire alone in his basement on his birthday.

Well, he had a family and people celebrated his birthday.

It would be sadder if he was celebrating his birthday by himself. Just as he was blowing out the last candle of his birthday cake, a sudden spray of violence ended his life.

When the police came, they saw the man clutching a birthday card... signed to himself.

5 more replies

3 more replies

This father is going to replay the events that led up to his daughter being in that exactly. He will reimagine possibly parking else where or other scenarios which will slowly burden himself. I can’t even imagine that type of pain RIP.

That's what got me the most too, he'll probably always feel in a way somewhat responsible. Theres no way he could have known but survivor's guilt can be a peculiar thing. Just tragic

2 more replies

All I can think about is this poor father sitting in a car when he loses his child to a stray bullet....its the fucking brick video playing over in my head again...fuck this planet sometimes...I need /r/eyebleach

Brick video is fucking brutal

145 points · 1 month ago

I don't think I even want to go look for it. Short version?

Comment deleted1 month ago(More than 100 children)

Shit like that is why those signs on the back of dump trucks that say “not responsible for broke windshields” really piss me off.

Yes you are you lazy, negligent fucks. Secure your load.

They can put those signs up all they want. Won't stand up in court.

49 points · 1 month ago

Especially if it involves a death.

Yes but stating the obvious here; that does jack shit for those who have died or those who have lost someone.

That shit shouldn't ever stand to begin with. It's absolutely reasonable in this situation for people to flip their shit and really lock down on that behaviour before something dramatic happens. We know it could happen, and it should never have to go to court to begin with.

11 more replies

139 points · 1 month ago

Oh fuck no. And they have it on video? I don't even want to imagine it.

Comment deleted1 month ago(0 children)
125 points · 1 month ago

Still sounds like something that will haunt me. Thanks for helping me avoid that

Hell, it might be worse like that. Leaving the damage to the imagination. Yea that video sucks. Would only recommend if you are so cheerful that you feel like you need to tone it down quite a bit for some reason.

If you are SO overwhelmingly cheerful you need to tone it down, maybe read about puppy mills or poverty in the third world or something and see if that does the trick before jumping straight to the worst video on the internet.

The station club fire video is definitely up there as well for worst video.

13 points · 1 month ago

The worst I seen was the photo series of the Ganges River in India. It was nothing but dead bloating and rotting bodies floating in the river with other people in the background washing and doing other things without a care in the world.

5 more replies

Shut up shut up shut up

I'll be never that overcheerful.

Ye. Still the only vid I can vivid remember. The sheer tone/emotion In the dad's voice. Jesus Christ.

5 more replies

I watched it several years ago and still think about it every now and again. Mostly when I'm driving behind a truck.

It's harrowing. Don't bother watching it.

3 more replies

Some of the most haunting shit I've seen or rather heard is from audio only. I once spent a night listening to blackbox recordings for some reason and unfortunately have watched the brick video too..

I think hearing the reactions from her family and knowing they will never be the same again all because of a fucking loose brick. I'm now very aware of what I'm driving behind now. I've stopped being so curious about these kinds of videos but there's a lot we can learn from them sadly.

2 more replies

It's a dashcam video, so you never see the people, but you do see the brick bounce out of the truck and smash the windshield. But you do hear the audio from the dashcam of the people in the car screaming and crying after it hits.

thanks for sparing me watching that

13 points · 1 month ago

Those videos freak me out. When I was 18 and pregnant, I was riding as a passenger in my friend's car. Suddenly we see a full size tire land right in front of the car and then bounce over the right front corner of the car. We were all too freaked out to even say anything for a moment. My friend, the driver says, "What the hell?! Did everyone else see that?" It was so close that it almost seemed like it wasn't real. I didn't get too freaked out until I saw other stories of that kind of thing happening, but they end up seriously injured or dead.

45 more replies

50 points · 1 month ago · edited 1 month ago

Family driving down a highway in a foreign country. A large oncoming truck loses a brick out of the back. Dashcam catches video and audio as it bounces towards their vehicle and smashes through the windshield on the passenger side. You don't see any people in the video, you just hear a man instantly screaming in panicked grief. Story is the brick went right into his SO's head, killing her.

*edit - changed mom to SO.

7 more replies

Do. Not. Look for it.

I watched it muted and it still haunts me.

There are some things in this world that are worth seeing for the morbid curiosity of it all.

This is not one of those things.

Do not watch it. I did. I wish I hadn’t.

do not watch it. There's actually no gore. It's just the scream.

there are a lot of things you can use to cure your morbid cuirosity on /r/WatchPeopleDie, but there are a few videos that are simply bad for your mental health. It's the difference between between being 'brave' and trying the hottest hot sauce, and just drinking drano.

that and the flaying video. Just leave it, mate.

5 more replies

I'm gonna go hug my mom now. No jokes.

37 points · 1 month ago

Hug her everytime you see her! We take for granted the perception of safety in our advanced civilization, and then forget that you never truly know if that will be the last time you see your parents. I always try to leave on a good note, because I couldn't forgive myself if I left angry or upset and never saw them again.

1 more reply

This video fucked me up for days after I watched it.

13 points · 1 month ago

It's the one video I will never watch

6 more replies

6 more replies

100 points · 1 month ago · edited 1 month ago

Brick video? Do I want to know?

Edit: don't Google it. :(

Dashcam footage of a family driving. Brick falls off truck passing by in opposite direction. Bounces off ground and flies through windshield. Strikes wife in the head. Killed on impact. Husband and kids screaming. It is one video I refuse to watch.

Cripes that is some "final destination" shit. I think I'm fine never watching that video. The description sounds awful enough.

26 points · 1 month ago

As neurotic as it is this only reinforces my habit of never following behind any vehicle hauling anything. Poor family

27 points · 1 month ago

The horrifying part is the truck where the brick came from was going in the complete opposite direction on a two-lane road :(

1 more reply

They weren't even following the truck. The brick fell out of an oncoming vehicle, which makes it that much worse IMO.

2 more replies

Not neurotic at all. My (roughly) once a month visit to WPD reminds me to be as cautious a driver as possible. I don't give a damn if a friend riding with me complains I'm driving "like a grandma" or whatever. Seen one too many deaths caught on camera because people put too much trust in others on the road.

4 more replies

Yeah same here...

2 more replies

You only see in front of the car so it's mostly just the audio. It's one of the worst things I've ever heard and it has haunted me for years.

7 points · 1 month ago

Welp, just watched it, holy fuck. No blood or anything but damn...I get why Emt burn out rates are roughly 5 years. My instructor told me that the one thing that haunts him to this day wasn’t pulling the body of this 8 year old girl from a car wreck who was decapitated but the screeching of her mom when she arrived on the scene and her eyes. Yikes, I’m glad I decided not to go thru with EMT/paramedic career.

Just watched a little bit of it...It’s fucked up.

3 more replies

Person in a car gets hit by a brick dropped through the windshield. You hear the screams of everyone in the car. You hear a lot of screams.

No you definitely don't

No, you don’t

A dashcam captures a brick that falls off a semi truck ahead of them on a freeway. Goes straight through the windshield killing the wife in the passenger seat. Husband was driving. The video doesn't show anything except the brick flying towards their car, but the audio will rip you to pieces.

34 more replies

The brick video...thanks for the reminder

This one is worse than the brick video for me, cos that was a genuine freak accident with a one in a billion chance of happening, whereas someone fired that bullet :( even though it wasn't meant for her.

It probably could be 1 in a billion but if brick guy didn't secure his load properly (probably didnt) it was more like a 1 in ~10000 chance.

He didn't cause the thing himself but significantly increased the chance of bricking a mom with kids through her windshield by not securing them, and anyone securing a load on a vehicle should consider the same. It is life or death. Maybe that sounds dramatic but people die all the time this way.

People where I live in Texas are terrible about securing their loads. Every random jabroni is a "contractor," and they stuff the bed of their truck with a bunch of shit without a single ratchet strap. I've even seen them with the tailgate down, or it's just completely missing

It's probably worse in texas since pickups are more popular. But maybe that's just a baseless stereotype

6 more replies

I know it's most likely his fault for not securing it (if that's the case- accidents can still happen even if he did everything right), but my point was just that's still a pretty unlikely thing to happen, the fact a brick flew off just at the right time and angle to kill someone instantly. Of course I still blame whoever probably didn't follow working practices that are there for good reason, but there's something far more deliberate about the case of this girl in FL. Both incidents are awful and totally avoidable though, of course.

19 more replies

421 points · 1 month ago

When I was younger I lived pretty much in the middle of nowhere outside of CLT, NC and our neighbors were anywhere from half a mile upwards to a mile apart from each other. Down south as most people know have some passionate gun carrying citizens and are one neighbor had a sand bags stacked in their backyard for "target practice" and where they routinely had bonfires and parties. One morning my mother and I woke up to one of our dogs being lifeless in the yard surrounded by a pool of blood. Found out this guy had a family reunion the night before and one of the participants ended up shooting outside of the sandbags and one the bullets struck my dog and killed him.

This happening to a small child breaks my heart, I couldn't imagine the pain and frustration a parent has to go through realizing their child was killed over such a dumb senseless act.

150 points · 1 month ago · edited 1 month ago

dog is essentially family member. that makes me crazy mad. The fact that he lost his daughter like this to somethign so stupid is the world gone crazy. Awhile back i was scanning stray bullet incidents from celebrator gunfire. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Celebratory_gunfire#United_States

I looked up the stories on a few of them.

July 4, 2012: A 34-year-old woman, Michelle Packard, was struck in the head and killed while watching the fireworks with her family. The police believe the shot could have come from a mile away.

She was literally with her family then instantly had bullet in her brain and dead. When I think about that, and also the other incident iwth the 10 year old daughter playing in the front lawn where a celebratory firing round killed her too.. I think about the parents and family. In their head runs a constant loop over the pain and anguish of their very last moments, suffering in their heads as a way to "carry" the damage their children endured. Day after day, year after year. This shit gets to you in ways people cannot even imagine. Doctors who lost their children to terrible crimes like this get shaky hands and make a mistake on the operating table and lose their license. etc.. I can only think that the only way to reason forward about the living is that you would see them again in heaven.

I would love to speak and record interviews with the victims families and record their heartbreak and observations. This shit needs to be played back to every student as standard curricula across America. Obviously most kids wont need to hear it, but it would reach out to a enough to make a small, small difference, and that difference could be two daughters and two sons every few years.

I'd play it back to the devastatingly stupid people who discharged their weapons like this in the first place. Their negligence killed people, they should have to live with that notion constantly reminded to them for the rest of their lives.

Maybe gun safety should be a PSA. PSAs about negligent use, unnecessary use, etc. They could show people that getting into a senseless gunfight in the middle of the parking lot can end up in an innocent child being killed.

14 more replies

Did they apologise or compensate you? This is terrible.

It is the stupidity of the people at that family reunion in your story which really is upsetting. No one thought to follow simple common sense safety procedures - particularly the main one which is don’t play with guns when you are drunk.

I want to support the second amendment and I have my whole life, but more and more acts of stupidity make me question its place in the modern age.

See, the thing is that it isn’t limited to people thinking it’s ok to be drunk and shooting “on my own property”. Do you know how many thicknesses of drywall a bullet can penetrate? How much easier it is for someone “defending their home” to shoot their neighbors than an intruder? How likely a panicked shot “in self defense” can go astray?

Scared, intoxicated, and stupid people are all incredibly dangerous with deadly weapons in their hands.

17 points · 1 month ago

That's why you use defensive bullets (i. E. hollow point) for self defense. They essentially explode and get rid of all their energy upon first impact, so they're not likely going to go hit an innocent bystander. It's 100% irresponsible to use anything else for self defense.

Not sure, but I imagine this is one of the reasons that expanding bullets are allowed for civilian use (that and hunting. Can't kill a deer in a humane time frame with a FMJ bullet). IIRC, they're banned in international warfare for being too brutally damaging.

My father chambers his self defense pistol with the bullets the US air marshals use for the same reason. They're pretty expensive, but expense is not a concern for a self defense weapon; you can practice with the cheap stuff. Those bullets are designed not to pierce the hull of an airliner (which is very, very thin), which makes them good options for not accidentally shooting through walls. My gut tells me that they could still make it through a layer or two of drywall, though, if there wasn't any insulation between.

6 more replies

3 more replies

The actual fuck? Is that legal in the US? Thought urban or residential areas would have a law against that bullshit unless it is for self defense or whatever, not just for fucking around!

Is that legal in the US?

Almost certainly not. Sounds like it was inside city limits, and without something even close to a adequate backstop.

6 more replies

40 points · 1 month ago

Seriously? So unfair for this poor child and their family. God how fuckin easy lives are taken away lately is so outrageous....... Some imbecile's stray bullet takes the live of an innocent child and probably a few years from her family..

It’s heartbreaking I can’t imagine the pain her family are going through right now, they’ll never be the same again and that dad had to witness his daughter get shot in front of him. Awful. I hope the fucking scum bags responsible are caught.

9 more replies

Jesus christ that's sad

4 more replies

67 points · 1 month ago

Want to know how to a create Punisher IRL?

This is how you.

Unfortunately this is almost a daily occurrence in Chicago. :(

1 more reply

End the drug war and invest in the inner cities who live in abject poverty if you want to address gun violence. Stripping people of their civil liberties is not the answer.

Yeah, they won't catch these guys. You know why? It's because the community they live in won't turn them in.

Which sucks because they know if they go to the authorities, these thugs will target their families for turning them in. The honest people in these communities, which is the majority, live in fear. Live in fear of law enforcement and live in fear of becoming a victim of gang violence.

63 points · 1 month ago

When I was in my CSI program, my professor had 3 guest speakers come in who worked on a case with him to speak to us. Two were lawyers and the other was a detective. They told us about how there was a shooting at a low income housing place a few years back. My professor was the one who determined how things went down in the stairwell where it happened (the guy was shot at close range. The guys who did the shooting said they had done it from far away. My prof determined that was impossible due to the trajectory of the bullet as well as the blood).

One of the things they also talked about was how hard it was to get information about this case because the people living in the building didn't want to talk to police. One of the guys who was involved in the shooting even made a rap about what happens when you snitch...which we got to hear. They also told us when someone did finally speak to police, the main suspect was attempting to hire a hitman to take the witnesses out.

So I definitely understand why people would be afraid to speak to police. No one wants to end up wounded, maimed or dead just for speaking out. It's just a damn shame because no one wins in this situation. The family is left wondering what the hell happened, who the hell did this and why, and those who do have information are reluctant to speak because they don't want to end up dead.

3 more replies

Comment deleted1 month ago(18 children)

and the police force in chicago is filled with minorities. so?

17 more replies

12 more replies

Idk something similar happened in paterson a few years ago where random young kids were getting hit in crossfire and finally there was some major gang ceasefire or some shit and the whole community staged bbqs and shit to try to stop the violence. It worked for a few months.

900 points · 1 month ago · edited 1 month ago

If your community wont turn you in for killing a kid, you're living in a fucked up community.

Edit: I get it, stitches get snitches. Thanks, I don't need to hear it 85 times. I suppose we should just let them keep cycle going. It's sure to improve on it's own.

1.4k points · 1 month ago

No shit?

Hold up, I think he is on to something...

212 points · 1 month ago

lol "If you steal money, you're a god damn thief!"

4 more replies

Turn in a group of people who open fire on each other, better get them all or watch your back.

182 points · 1 month ago

137 points · 1 month ago

I think its more that people are afraid of retribution for being a "rat", I am unwilling to believe that people who know who these guys are don't care about an innocent child being shot, I think they are just afraid for their own family's safety. That being said, still a fucked up community when that sort of unspoken threat exists in your daily life.

108 points · 1 month ago

The whole "snitches get stitches" mentality will make sure that bringing criminals to justice will be more difficult, if not impossible.

It's a mentality backed by prior experience. The complexity of turning someone in with adequate evidence to actually charge them of a crime is incredibly high, which means there are numerous points at which one tiny slip-up will help reveal who snitched in the first place. And if you're a part of the criminal organization that the accused person is a member of, you have everything to gain and nothing to lose by killing that person. You have to send a message to maintain the order you have established.

It's fucked up but it's not the fault of the innocent people who are in that community.

And it's a common thing in human society. If the bad man of the territory does something, then do you wanna be the one caught telling someone it was him? No because he has probably already proven he will learn who did it and have them beaten or killed.

17 more replies

It's not a mentality, it's a literal fact of life in a lot of places.

This is exactly it.

The police can’t protect the community. Gangs control it, and so if you help the police, no one will protect you.

For example, here is a father who’s kid died because the assailant missed the father. The father would not help the police identify the killer.

The family of a child who was shot to death over the weekend accuses Chicago Police Supt. Garry McCarthy of using bullying tactics. Amari Brown, 7, was killed by a bullet intended for his father, police say.

Supt. Garry McCarthy also said the boy's father, Antonio Brown, is not cooperating in his son's murder investigation.

...

Investigators said the gunman was aiming for the boy's father, who was identified by Supt. McCarthy as a documented gang member with 45 arrests. McCarthy let go with frustration that Brown, who did prison time for narcotics was arrested with a gun in April and was released on bond the next day.

...

"You know what information I got? It was a thousand [expletive)] out here. You all want information? Go ask every [expletive)] on this block what happened. Why do I got to do that?" Brown said.

36 more replies

17 points · 1 month ago

So the problem becomes how to unfuck the community.

Defund schools and healthcare, pump money into military!

179 more replies

I live SUPER close to where this happened, close enough that I saw the aftermath of it all. I can tell you right now, the people in the surrounding area are pissed all the way off about this and are keeping their eyes peeled for these assholes. Wouldn’t surprise me for someone to turn them in.

Eh, usually the community won't support an innocent kid being killed.

186 more replies

82 points · 1 month ago

"struck by stray bullet"

is an odd way of putting "shot by a careless cunt"

15 points · 1 month ago

You’re saying this as if a person could responsibly take part in a shootout in a parking lot.

179 points · 1 month ago

Here in Chicago this is a weekly occurrence.

65 points · 1 month ago · edited 1 month ago

Michigan. King Park. La Dispute wrote a song about it (called King Park) and it's bone chilling.

Edit: The Song

I drive by that park nearly every day. A mile north and you're in the weathiest neighborhoods in the city.

Oh, fuck, man. I didn't know the song.

I quote:

And I visit them, their houses. Inside my dream I visit them.
My spirit, soaring high and high up over King Park, leaves the crime scene, travels further back
Till far before the shooting, through their windows, to their living rooms.
I see them younger this time, playing games and doing homework.
All these marks of youth soon transformed coldly into stone for fights and stupid feuds.
For ruins wrapped in gold. And cruelly I recall why I have come: To find a reason. But
There cannot be a reason, not for death, not like this. Not like this.

Three days later they made funeral plans. The family.
Three days later a mother had to bury her son.

The whole album is amazing. Every song is based on a real story or event that the band members experienced. Every song is tragic, but at the same time the narrator is marveling at the way people still keep going and overcome their tragedy.

Edward Benz 27 times is about a guy who was stabbed 27 times by his schizophrenic son, and his story about dealing with it. It might be my favorite song on the album.

St Paul Missionary Baptist Church Blues is a song about a local church that is now abandoned and decaying, about it use to be a house of hope and worship and someday it will just become a cellphone store.

I See Everything is about a bandmember's high school teacher who shared with the class her journal entries during a time her son had cancer.

There is a commentary track for the whole album. Listen to the album then listen to the commentary!

4 more replies

18 more replies

"Two unrelated groups" That's rediculous. Just call them what they are. Gangs. Thugs. Jacksonville has had them forever. Maybe if you call it by the right name and stop treating them like isolated incidents, then maybe JSO will actually start addressing the issue.

Report says the cars hit each other. May have been a road rage incident.

213 points · 1 month ago

But that doesn’t fit the anger porn he’s looking for...

Of coarse normal road rage doesn't involve 2 groups of people piling out of their cars and opening fire on each other. Or does it in Florida?

There have been road rage shootings, they are quite rare but they have happened. Most of the time its just one person with a gun and not both.

8 more replies

52 points · 1 month ago

Not in Florida, but seeing road rage in myself, friends, and others has made me realize that maybe everyone having a gun in the car is probably a bad idea.

8 more replies

5 more replies

15 more replies

211 points · 1 month ago

This is infuriating to me, because the gang problem in the US is huge, but it's constantly sidestepped. Everyone spends so much time worried about school shootings, but you're much more likely to get shot as a bystander in some random gang violence over some perceived slight or whatever bullshit.

It's been like this for years, but no one does shit about it.

145 points · 1 month ago

No one gives a shit because it happens in poor community and typically only other gang members or poor people are killed. And the fix for gangs is lifting people out of poverty, helping kids graduate, after school programs, and ending the war on drugs. Most people rather let the poor kill each other than make the necessary changes and investments into preventing the next generation from becoming gang members. School shootings are seen as terrifying because they are happening to suburban, nice kids. They happen to "our" kids.

21 points · 1 month ago

You hit the nail right on the head with this one.

38 more replies

Nobody does anything, because every program aimed at prevention... ends up getting gutted by the govt, defunding education, creates more gangs

24 more replies

The way you fights gangs is by fighting poverty. Sadly America has no interest in that and gang violence will persist until it does.

But gangs and crime in general are symptoms. Poverty, despair and hopelessness are the disease.

It doesn't help matters that our "war on poverty" appears to have been one of the major contributors to this problem.

39 more replies

58 more replies

51 more replies

Time for more "common sense" gun laws.

4 more replies

Fuck gang members, after this story and another one of them decapitating a little girl as well, I have no problem calling them the scum of America

17 more replies

Hang the bastards with their own intestines.

Found Vlad the Impaler.

seriously whats Florida that every weird and unexpected news happens there?

369 points · 1 month ago

Because they have different laws regarding information about crimes and such, i don't know the specifics.

360 points · 1 month ago

Sunshine law. Open media and was created to encourage transparency in government. The law makes it seem like Florida has an abnormal amount of crazy people and weird news. So, the law is kind of bad for media but good for open government.

Comment deleted1 month ago(4 children)

It's also created a nice cottage industry of blackmail. All of those websites that host people's mugshots source a lot from Florida. They make sure your mugshot pops up when you're googled, unless you pay a nice fee.

34 more replies

Sunshine law, basically the media has access to info the second it happens.

Very unfortunate as the media is often wrong, but has already ruined someones life by sensationalized content before it turns out they were the wrong person.

30 points · 1 month ago

Media in Florida often reports the names of those deceased before Police are able to personally inform their family. People have heard the news first tell them their spouse/child/etc died that day.

1 more reply

Because all of our arrest records are public record. Nothing unique to Florida happens here, except the gator stuff. It's just other states have less transparency with their public records.

5 more replies

This happened in Cleveland a month ago. It's not unique to Florida.

1 more reply

Florida is only different from every other state in one way: the police are required to release all this information to the press. Florida's "Sunshine" laws

That's why you see all this stuff in the news from Florida, and not from anywhere else. It's not because it only happens in Florida, but because in Florida, they have to tell you about it.

Mind you, this story would have been released everywhere. Kid gets killed in a car? National news. Every parent will click the link.

But random crackhead stuff isn't released in most states.

Yeah I'm not even from Florida but the circlejerk around Florida is insufferable. It's a large populated state and it's problems are always on display. I've in GA, NY, TX, and CA and I can assure you that local news in all those places is filled with the same trash stories. But it's sort of like piling on Nickleback for sucking when there are other equally bad bands - the circlejerk continues because you don't want to break the joke. "Florida is full of crazy people!" keeps the attention off your state and lets everyone collectively get in on the joke.

4 points · 1 month ago

It's especially hilarious as a Florida resident because people never stop shitting on us, and yet our state keeps growing at record pace. If you only read Reddit you'd think we're some kind of hell on Earth, but then people turn around and move here in droves from the Northeast and Midwest.

1 more reply

I wish it was actually weird and unexpected, though. Kids get shot all the time and stray bullets have to stop somewhere.

:-(

17 more replies

Where was the good car with a gun to save her?

16 points · 1 month ago

It was parked in the lot with the "no stray bullets allowed" sign.

No, in this case you need a gun with a good stray bullet, I think?

No no, the child should have been armed so she could defend herself from the stray bullet

115 points · 1 month ago · edited 1 month ago

Ah yes, the Kinderguardian program

22 more replies

9 more replies

462 more replies

6 points · 1 month ago

Horrible. More gang violence causing more innocent deaths.

2,281 more replies

/r/news is: real news articles, primarily but not exclusively, news relating to the United States. /r/news isn't: editorials, commercials, political minutiae, shouting, justin bieber updates, kitty pictures. For a subreddit for all news-related content (editorials, satire, etc.) visit /r/inthenews.

r/news Rules
Not news
Opinion/analysis or advocacy piece
Politics
Title not from article/editorialized title
Paywall or is blogspam/steals content
Covers an already-submitted story
Racist, sexist, vitriolic, or overly crude
Unnecessarily rude or provocative
Cheap or distracting joke or meme
Breaks sitewide rules, witchhunting