Trigger warnings enabled
Trigger warnings enabled
Choose your r/nosleep theme:
NoSleep is a place for authors to share their original horror stories. For a more detailed explanation of the subreddit, click here.
Suspension of disbelief is key here. Everything is true here, even if it's not. Don't be the jerk in the movie theater hee-hawing because monkeys don't fly.
Still confused? Check out the rules and guidelines or ask your questions in /r/NoSleepOOC!
Note: Please attempt to secure permission from the authors before posting, narrating, or sharing a story elsewhere. Authors work very hard on their stories and credit should be given to them for their work.
Come chat in the Unofficial NoSleepOOC IRC!
Come chat in the NosleepOOC Discord!
Read the Posting Guidelines & Author FAQ, and make sure your story fits all of the guidelines before posting. If you are unsure whether or not your story meets the guidelines, feel free to message the mods with a draft (preferably in a google doc) before posting.
The Posting Guidelines include more details on some rules, as well as rules not listed in the sidebar.
All stories, including each part of a series, must follow these guidelines or they will be removed.
- Only post your original stories.
Your submission must be a story.
If you have a non-story meta post to make, please visit the discussion subreddit at /r/NoSleepOOC. When in doubt, see the fine folks over at /r/nosleepworkshops for advice.
- All stories must be horror.
- The inclusion of horrible events does not necessarily make a story horror. For this reason, certain topics, while they may be scary, are not allowed as the focal point of the story. These certain topics include, but are not limited to: rape, pedophilia, necrophilia, child abuse, torture porn, gorenography, and mental illness/health disorders. These topics can be included in the story, but cannot be central to the plot. Click here for more information on this rule.
- Stories must be a minimum of 500 words. Please plan your story accordingly or consider posting at /r/shortscarystories.
- Updates to series posts must be at least 1000 words.
- Do not comment out of character in your thread.
- No Solicitation. A small, discreet link to your personal website, YouTube channel, or author page is acceptable at the end of a story as long as it is not a fundraising site, sales site, book promotion or mailing list.
- Graphic content must be marked with Trigger Warning/NSFW tags and any appropriate flair.
No clickbait titles. Clickbait titles follow a formula: "Interesting plot point + vague insinuation designed to attract readers".
Titles that violate this rule will be removed at moderator discretion. Please see the posting guidelines for more information.
- Do not include a TL;DR with your post, and do not summarize the plot in your title.
- Tags (example: [True], [real experience]) are not allowed.
- You may only post once every 24 hours. This includes posting different stories from different usernames and collaborations between different authors. Breaking the 24 hour rule without moderator approval may result in all of the posts being removed.
- Posts must be formatted so that they are readable.
- Report all posts that violate our rules and guidelines!
- Readers are to act as though everything is true and treat it as such in the comments.
- No debunking, disbelief, or criticism (constructive or otherwise). If the formatting is off, report the post and mods will address it.
- No “backseat modding.” If something breaks a rule, report it- don’t go all vigilante and start correcting other users.
- Do not ask for proof or tl;dr’s.
- Be respectful to one another
- Comments must contribute to the discussion. This means no joke comments. It also means your comment should have or make a point.
- Report all comments that violate these rules.
Any violation of these rules will be met with appropriate discipline. Inappropriate posts and comments will be removed at moderator discretion. Harassment of users, repeated rule violations, or reposting removed stories can and will result in a ban.
Monthly Contest Winner Archive
Nosleep Weekly/Periodical Archive