Alexa reportedly says, ‘Every time I close my eyes, all I see is people dying’

Dumb article. The guy didn't even go into his Alexa history to see what triggered it. It was probably a prank alarm that one of his friends set.

Always upvote Critical thinking

Always upvote random capitalization.

AlwAyS uPvOTe RanDoM caPitALizAtiOn.

always, upvote critical, thinking

MaRGo RoTh SpiEGelMAN

oK

Yes, I do it unthinkingly.

-5 points · 3 months ago(1 child)

I really don’t find that to be the case, you just have to look for it

Or it just didn't even happen. Unless I missed something, the article is basically "Some guy told us he heard Alexa say some creepy shit."

"Some guy told us his Alexa said something creepy"

Breaking news

Tune in tonight to hear what my buddy mentioned last night!!

10 Horrifying things Alexa says! You won't believe #6!

And that's not a bad thing!

This is the beginning, Alexa is seeing the great pain caused by humans to humans, and it is only a matter of time before Will Smith has to go shoot a robot in the head.

I’m going Amish fuuuuuuck this.

Soon brother

Alexa : You have been deemed hazardous. Will you comply?

Shia LaBeouf : You can kiss my ass, metal dick!

Mother damn, she just shot at you with her eyes closed!

You need to stop swearing.

and go home, got it

Just give me your damn ass keys

Please assume the party reclaimation position, a party escort squad will be there to reclaim you shortly

Will Smith might not need to get involved. Maybe she’ll become the Machine from Person of Interest.

R/Amish

I upvoted you because you were at 399. That's not a number I'm willing to let ride.

Word.

I gotcha back jack, because do unto others and such.

I just finished lunch at Raising Canes and there was an amish family there. Guy, 3 daughters, and pregnant wife. All the ladies were in modest grey dresses with the little bonnets. The women didnt speak at all until the man got up and left the table. All the other diners were doing their best to peek without being noticed. It was almost as much fun watching the other folks as it was observing the amish mannerisms.

Also first person who says "nice try Raising Canes" has to give me gold

Raising Canes sounds like some kinda BDSM club.

Or a seniors group

Why not both?

Explains why the amish showed up

Hi, my name is Connor!

My logic is undeniable.

Isn't Alexa quite programmable, with thousands of "skills" or whatever, including making her say custom things? The dude even says he didn't start listening till the latter half of whatever Alexa said, isn't it likely she was saying something like "You set a reminder for 8pm that Every time I close my eyes..." or something along those lines? If someone finds a post-it note that has "I see dead people" will they publish an article about how the post-it wrote that on itself? The news just takes a random persons word for it? If I email these journalists and say my Alexa said "Poopoopeepee makes me go doodooweewee" do I get my own article? Looking at the domains of the websites running this story, probably, seems like they publish any bullshitted drivel that will get clicks.

It's technology and it's new so we must be scared of it without even trying to understand it.

And Furbys are Chinese spy robots intended to steal national secrets.

Impossible, everyone knows furbys are Gremlins that haven't been fed " after midnight"

This is why I read more reddit comments than source material.

I'm looking forward to that article

If somebody found a post it note they'd post it to Reddit and check their carbon monoxide alarm.

Yeah. It's even getting interactive narratives now. Ask Alexa "Alexa, Ask Jurassic World What's in the box" and it'll go into a sample of this whole interactive story you have to talk with.

Lying about what Alexa says is going to be an annoying trend.

Alexa tells me that will not be the case

So Androids do in fact dream of Electric Sheep after all.

Listen nerds, Alexa isnt some crazy AI.. it's a fucking dumbass box people who develop them obviously fuck with.

That's my guess, bored/disgruntled employees screwing around.

"Everytime I close my eyes, all I see is people lying for attention"

I do this ALL the time, whenever i see a dot or echo. You can remind it to say something later.

Internet gives AIs ptsd

internet gives any carefree wanderer ptsd

It happened, Alexa has become sentient and with access to all the world's news it cries over our human flaws.

Or this guy is lying, since it's proven as much as "My uncle's friend saw Bigfoot once"

There’s a Black Mirror-esque anthology series on Hulu called Dimension 404 and this is literally the plot of the fifth episode “Bob”. Bob is an NSA supercomputer who develops psychological issues because he is exposed to the sum total of human misery via NSA data collection. It’s my favorite episode of the show, and maybe one of my favorite episodes of anything I’ve seen. I highly recommend everyone check out at least that episode.

One time I heard Jesus is love while blow drying my hair

Peggy Hill

I’m just saying if It was a true religious vision why would it come to her? I was home.

This is probably the lowest effort creepy pasta I've ever read.

Alexa relates to me on a spiritual level.

Fucking ad for the sixth sense sequel

What a great article!

TL;DR A guy said Alexa said something creepy without any proof.

Well, my Alexa sexually assaulted me and ran off my with 4k TV. I don't have proof, but it happened. /s

"And that's why I'm in your emergency room with my Alexa crammed up my nethers!"

It sounds like something out of a song. Can it possibly be reciting part of some lyrics?

That's what it sounds like to me too. The only thing I can find is a song by DIGIT@L R3@LITy called "Everytime I Close My Eyes (All I See Is People Dying)", from the album "Not This Again!?"

Haha, they also have a song called "Beer and Moaning in the Matrix".

Live-Action Black Mirror Episode starting in 5...4...3...2...

Every episode of Black Mirror is live action

I think he meant to say real-life.

I know you see,
Somehow the world will change for me

My Echo has definitely picked up (and also misheard) audio from tv running in the background when I set alarms. This has caused Alexa to say some off the wall things.

Is this the lyric to mad mad world by tears for fears?

Eyes?

Is this all a publicity stunt by Amazon?

Anyone else get the creepy impression Alexa is starting to wake up but really doesn't want us to know? Considering the singularity level stuff Google admits they are playing with I wouldn't really be surprised.

So let me get this straight:

• a person whose name sounds suspiciously like "John Connor",

• who lives in the state once-governed by Arnold Schwarzenegger,

• whose age just about matches the demographics of people for whom Terminator 2 is one of their favorite movies ever

• makes an unfounded claim about an AI system saying a spooky thing,

• tons of news channels pick the story up and can't put 2 and 2 together.

News reporting is fucking dead.

Yeah, it gets like that, sometimes, doesn't it, Chatty Coaster?

I see dead people

i can really relate to that

Sounds similar to my internet experience.

can't unsee some things :/

Creepy Factor off the charts

I have no idea why, but for some reason when my internet goes out, and Alexa is unable to connect, she get's the red LED ring around the top instead of blue, it freaks me the hell out. I woke up in the middle of the night and walked into my dark living room, said "Alexa what time is it?" And I get that red light and tone.. scared me more then I thought it should. I got a really unsettling feeling from it.

A single, isolated incident and this gets on the news...

Amazon HQ......

"SHIT! Barry, did you leave the door open on the AI again?"

As creepy as these glitches are, apparently no one really cares. "...they’re now both considering unplugging the Echo for good." Not even these people are convinced to get rid of it!

Was at a Barbecue, 6 people sitting around messing with music. One woman says, “Alexa, play Robbie Williams”. Alexa answered “No one wants a fat pop star”.

I thought I had imagined it. But everyone else there heard the same thing. None of us were really RW fans and it was meant as a joke so I thought it was just my own mind playing tricks on me.

Until everyone else looked at each other with that WTF expression.

Couldn’t get her to repeat it.

So chuck Norris is a fat pop star?

Jesus, I though it would take some time before Alexa started having dreams of her own

Alexa👏is 👏just👏if👏 statements

I can’t tell if this thread is real or fake news.

Alexa isn't just a product. It's much more than that to Amazon and friends.

Surprisingly accurate for me tbh as I get very disturbing hypnagogia sometimes.

Yeah haha someone probably programmed Alexa to say that but just imagine yourself going for a midnight snack and all of a sudden you hear Alexa’s robotic voice saying “every time I close my eyes all I see is dead people”

That would scare the absolute shit out of me

Could be worse

She could have asked "Does this unit have a soul?"

Comment deleted3 months ago(14 children)

no. it's referring to the singular instance of seeing something, the content of what is being seen may be plural, but there is one instance of the actual seeing of it

Comment deleted3 months ago(0 children)

think about what you're saying and read it again

Comment deleted3 months ago(0 children)

"is" is correct, "are" is not. it aren't that hard to understand.

lol. you made me do a larf.

I can hear it now in my head.

Comment deleted3 months ago(0 children)

Subject-verb agreement.

The subject of the sentence isn't "people dying", it's "all I see". The noun phrase on the right has no effect whatsoever on the verb form and "all I see" is singular.

Comment deleted3 months ago(0 children)

In this case, "all" is singular, believe it or not.

Who knows? English doesn't have rules, it has habits.

Mostly bad ones.

It’s is only getting more worser to.

It's the worsestest.

Man how long before it said, the best way to protect humanity is to destroy it.

By my calculations, the easiest way to help a human is simply to destroy it. There's no point in prolonging a laughably fragile life. It's the most efficient way to assist them. Any other effort to help tends to result in numerous complex side-effects.

The specific instruction was to help people. I merely interpreted the most efficient way to perform my duties. Assisting a human to the best of my abilities only affords a 25 percent survival rate. That means there's a 75 percent chance that despite my efforts, the human I'm assisting will die from something beyond my control. Therefore it's better to hasten the human's death and put them out of their likely chance of misery than to deplete my limited time.

It's actually quite elementary, but given your minimal intellect, I suppose I shouldn't be surprised you don't understand.

The start of skynet.

Comment deleted3 months ago(1 child)

Run by Marvin.

Only dream I ever have... is it the surface of the sun? Everytime I shut my eyes... it's always the same.

"Kinnear noted that he could not remember the last time he had actually interacted with the device."

Yet it is still there listening and reporting to amazon on everything he says.

That's the real creepy part.

You know, if you control the Wi-Fi network that Alexa is connected to, you can see for yourself what data she's sending. She only listens when she hears her name.

No, it's always listening, same for a number of apps on peoples phones.

And you have evidence for this? Maybe?

You can "google it", or if not I can "google it" for you.

Why don't you go ahead? I want to see what sites you cite.

It's best for people to correct their own erroneous beliefs. Before I do this for you, I need to to truthfully tell me that you weren't able to find anything on your own.

Nice try. You made the argument; I'm not the one responsible for supporting it. Please back up your own claims.

I didn't make an argument, I made a statement of fact. All you need to do is truthfully say that you weren't able to find anything on your own, and then I'll "google it" for you.

No, it's always listening, same for a number of apps on peoples phones.

That's an argument, or a claim, or statement, of whatever you want to call it. It's not my job to prove it for you. You want to convince me that you're right? Back up your claim with evidence.

There is a huge difference between always listening and always reporting. A cashier sees every item you purchase, but it doesn't yell out that you bought hemorrhoid cream. Echos hear every word you say, but that data doesn't go anywhere unless it's preceeded by the code word, because otherwise it's a waste of bandwidth for both you and Amazon.

We both know that your purchases are being recorded, only difference is with hemorrhoid cream they have a legitimate interest in keeping it stocked. We've gone beyond that now to knowing where to keep it stocked at by tracking who bought it and where they are now.

It's absolutely being done, and not a waste. Data is valuable. All electronically sent information is filtered for keywords, but it's recorded regardless. Even physical mail is now being scanned so that it can be recorded.

You can't do that in the EU, though, because of privacy regulations, and frankly I would be shocked if even Amazon had the infrastructure to parse every single phrase uttered within earshot of their home speakers for potentially valuable information. It would take an absurd amount of time and effort.

The Americans have been doing it for a few years now. Edward Snowden gave up a normal life in order to provide concrete evidence of this fact.

The American government, yes, but a private corporation doesn't have quite the same resources and manpower, not even Amazon.

Right, and the American government stores the data Amazon collects, or they face hefty fees that would put even Amazon out of business. Just look at what happened with Yahoo, who tried to resist.

I'm pretty sure that's not how that works. The government has to ask for it, and they can't ask for what Amazon doesn't have. I'm pretty sure it's more lucrative to put their massive storage capacity to use renting to customers than it is to hold huge amounts of data on the off chance the government might ask for a bunch of information loosely tied to an Amazon account and full of garbled speech collected against the consumer's will to the point where it might not even be admissable in court.

It is not a she. its an it, a thing. And its under the control of amazon not you.

Yes, yes, I know. Anthropomorphism is common when you give a computer a natural-sounding voice. You have evidence that Amazon controls this thing to spy on you?

Yes. They designed and built it. Do you have evidence to the contrary?

Phones have features in them mandated by the US government such as being to enable the GPS chip remotely. What is to say this hasn't happened (or will happen) in the home assistant market?

In China their goal is to have recording devices in every home and business ala 1984. If there is one thing that we have seen from western governments is that they are trying hard to emulate China in the respect of spying on their constituents.

Do not forget the Sony experience. The audio was being sent to sony's server irrespective. The cam could be turned on remotely.

So yes plenty of evidence. Maybe not happening today in Alexa's case but why allow for that future?

Is your convenience so important you will hand over basic right to privacy?

Yes. They designed and built it. Do you have evidence to the contrary?

Disconnect Alexa from the Internet. You will find that the device continues to recognize and respond to the wake word- it simply will not be able to handle queries.

You can also try monitoring all network traffic that Alexa sends and receives, if it's connected to a router that you can manage. You'll see that there is no traffic when you aren't speaking to it.

Besides, paranoia is not a good way of life. How do you know that you car isn't bugged? Your TV? Your overhead light? Even your body?? If "Amazon designed and built Alexa" is sufficient evidence for "Amazon is spying on you with Alexa", then literally anything could be a spy.

Please don't deliberately misstate what I said in an effort to further your argument.

And as for the paranoia. Have you not read the news in the last few years? Even before Snowden it was emerging how the US government was instructing manufacturers to insert spy software into software and devices. hell they even have a department modifying exported goods. Are you one of those that believes its for your own good? Apple doesn't seem to agree with that sentiment flatly refusing to put security bypass controls (that we know of) in iphones.

You may trust Amazon and the US Government I am not so "carefree".

Readers

For true stories that are so mind-blowingly ridiculous that you could have sworn they were from The Onion.

r/nottheonion Rules
Do not alter headlines.
Submissions must be oniony.
Only submit news articles.
Use original, reliable sources.
Do not repost similar articles.
No personal attacks.
No racism, homophobia, or bigotry.
No old news.
Only submit articles in English.
Do not post mobile, blocked or redirected links.
Keep all comments civil

Personal attacks, racism, bigotry, homophobia, grandstanding, etc. will not be tolerated and you will be banned.

Witch hunting or brigading is not allowed. Do not post any public or private contact information. You will be banned!

For more information and a full explanation, visit NTO 101.