World Cup viewers strain Tokyo’s plumbing system with halftime toilet dash

72 points · 26 days ago

Somewhere there are some rats fighting with a frog to save their sewer city.

While the slugs scream.

Scrolled through to find this comment.

6 points · 26 days ago

The all of 3 comments?

Yup, all of them.

3 points · 26 days ago

Impressive.

I'm also surprised so many people actually remember that movie.

It was the beginning of the end for Aardman. Chicken Run was the end.

You shut your whore mouth chicken run is amazing.

I knew someone out there liked it.

Or fry and his father-in-law are riding the great sewer wave.

So I'm not the only one who remembers that movie... Sort of.

What was the name of it?

3 points · 22 days ago

Flushed Away. One of my all-time favorite movies. I've also never met anyone that's watched it.

86 points · 27 days ago

If I remember reading correctly, I remember England having a similar issue. Twice a day at the same time every day, power consumption spikes massively from everyone making tea at once. It's a planned for and expected spike that the national power grid ups it's power production for. I wonder how (and if) Tokyo does something similar...

That's a thing in the U.K. when the tv show coronation street ends.

31 points · 26 days ago

Nice job reading.

But the official revealed that the Tokyo waterworks bureau anticipated the stampede and adjusted the city’s supply and pressure accordingly to avoid catastrophe.

In the US, I've seen areas that will bypass treatment of waste-water and discharge directly into rivers if the sewer system is over capacity. They do get fined for it by the EPA, but if the system can't handle it, it can't handle it.

Yeah, they use pumped hydro storage to meet the demand created by everyone making tea.

Comment deleted27 days ago(1 child)

For any major tv program, football or the six nations or anything royal ect. Happened with the London Olympics, we all put the kettle on as soon as ads start or the program ends.

6 points · 26 days ago

Flushed away 2?

Tokyo Drift

This was the plot of an episode of pinky and the brain.

The polite thing to do would have been to drink it. Shame, the shame.

Simpsons did it

r/nottheonion Rules
R1: Don't alter headlines.
R2: Submissions must be oniony.
R3, R4: News articles only, only original sources
R5: Don't repost similar articles.
R4, R5, R10: No prohibited or unreliable sources.
R11: No blocked links, paywalls, or surveywalls.
CR1: No personal attacks.
CR2: No racism, homophobia, or bigotry.
R10, R11: No redirected links or mobile sites.
CR3: Do not post public or private contact info.