A painting I did last night!

Sort by

Love how rich the blue is, makes it seem rather anxious and scared than sad. Sadness to me is connected to muted colors and vibrant ones are more emotional therefore something you can associate with a state of unease. Great piece!

Hobbyist10 points · 1 month ago

Aw he looks sad lol. I love this style though! How big is the painting?

Original Poster8 points · 1 month ago

I think it’s 22x28, and thank you!!

2 points · 1 month ago

Inches or cm?

Definitely inches, judging by the size of some of the strokes.

feet

Nice piece. Looks like it should be titled "The Blues."

Original Poster7 points · 1 month ago

I love the title! Thank you!

5 points · 1 month ago

Love the style!

Original Poster3 points · 1 month ago

Thank you!

That eye is sick.

I love it, I feel like that all the time.

Original Poster2 points · 1 month ago

Haha I feel ya, just gotta put it all into the art.

Amazing mood to this!!!

This is cool. Is this a particular style, or did you just have creative license to make it abstract?

Not OP, but it is very reminiscent of the Bay Area figurative movement. Particularly the work of David Park and Nathan Oliveira

Towards the end of the 1950s, a group of West coast Abstract Expressionists located in SF and Berkeley rejected non-objective painting and returned to figurative work. However, they kept the large scale and expressive/gestural brushwork of Ab Ex.

There's also the larger umbrella term of "Neo-Expressionism" which deals a lot with abstracted figuration.

Bay Area Figurative Movement

The Bay Area Figurative Movement (also known as the Bay Area Figurative School, Bay Area Figurative Art, Bay Area Figuration, and similar variations) was a mid-20th Century art movement made up of a group of artists in the San Francisco Bay Area who abandoned working in the prevailing style of Abstract Expressionism in favor of a return to figuration in painting during the 1950s and onward into the 1960s.

Spanning two decades, this art movement is often broken down into three groups, or generations: the First Generation, the Bridge Generation, and the Second Generation.

Many of the "First Generation" artists in this movement were avid fans of Abstract Expressionism, and worked in that manner, until several of them abandoned non-objective painting in favor of working with the figure. Among these First Generation Bay Area Figurative School artists were: David Park, Richard Diebenkorn, Rex Ashlock, Elmer Bischoff, Wayne Thiebaud, and James Weeks.

[ ^PM | Exclude ^me | Exclude from ^subreddit | FAQ / ^Information | ^Source ] Downvote to remove | v0.28

2 points · 1 month ago

Amazing!

Really excellent work!

Enthusiast1 point · 1 month ago

Absolutely love this! What kind of paints did you use?

Original Poster1 point · 1 month ago

Thanks! This one I used acrylic and oil!

I love this

Wow this is awesome!

I like that blue

i’m immediately thinking of robotman from doom patrol, lol - he’s this color palette but also a metaphor (?) for depression

Shouldn’t make fun of lazy eyes

Love it. Why is he so sad?

I recognised your style, I really love your paintings!

The colours in this are incredible

Very nice! I get some Basquiat vibes

Its seems like if a tree has life or face. nice work

Welcome to /r/Painting! Functioning like an artist cooperative gallery, this is the place where beginning to advanced painters display their work in an ongoing group discussion. Artists who post their work are strongly encouraged to interact with their fellow subscribers and be prepared to discuss their concept, process & technique.

r/painting Rules
No solicitation
No digital works
Posts must be related to artwork