About to experience PC gaming from a time before I was born with this charity shop haul, £8 in total!

30 points · 1 month ago

Mmm Baldur's gate. I member

Pls come back old bioware style games :(

R7 1700, 16 GB RAM, Vega 6411 points · 1 month ago

coughs in Pillars of Eternity

I love that game. Just waiting for all the DLC and a discount to get number 2.

If you don't have the definitive edition yet you can get it through Twitch prime for free. The offer is good from July 2 to July 4 I believe.

GTX970 16gb 1866 HyperX Fury FX83501 point · 1 month ago

Wait, what?! FUCK! =O

Desk: i5, 1070; Lap: i5, 10601 point · 1 month ago

even if you got it on steam?

You would download it through the twitch program

It is separate from steam.

http://steamcommunity.com/id/clickherefaggots2 points · 1 month ago

Mmmmm. I member. Do you member?

8700k, EVGA 1080 Ti SC Black, AW3481DW1 point · 1 month ago

BG 1 & 2 Enhanced Editions are currently on Steam Summer Sale $5 each (EE also supports 21:9 now).

0 points · 1 month ago

I recently tried to play the game (Enhanced Edition actually), but the storytelling seems awful.
Meet two people who need to go south, tell them I'm headed north. "Yeah, whatevs, we'll travel with you"
Met some random guy near a tower and they go "Hey, I'm planning a heist here, don't rat on me"
And some elven ranger is joining my party... because reasons?

I simply couldn't enjoy this.

from a time before I was born

looks at pc games, suddenly feels really old

Thanks.

i7 8700k/2x16 G.Skill Aegis DDR 4 2400 (OC'd to 3000/GTX 1080 Ti9 points · 1 month ago

Man I was 14 when neverwinter nights came out. I remember saving up for it.

5 points · 1 month ago

I was 24. Let me know when your knees give up. Bastard knees.

This makes me feel old. Good finds though.

You won’t be disappointed in grim fandango 👌

i5 7600K/ GTX1060 6GB/ Gigabyte Designaire Z270-X5 points · 1 month ago

Grim Fandango is literally one of my Top 5 all time greatest, enjoy it! Although you might struggle to run it on newer systems.

Phenom II x4 950 1050Ti1 point · 1 month ago

Yeah, I would recommend getting the remaster. It's 80% off right now on steam.

i5 7600K/ GTX1060 6GB/ Gigabyte Designaire Z270-X1 point · 1 month ago

Had it since release it really is great!

Win10,i7-2600k,32GB,2xGTX980,2x512GB SSD,3x1TB RAID0, 1440p144Hz4 points · 1 month ago

While boxed grim fandango is dope, iirc it can be a bit of a pain to get running on modern systems, though ResidualVM might have progressed quite a bit since I last tried it.

That said, there is a remaster on steam/gog which adds mouse controls, "support for widescreens" (ie. some artwork padding on the sides), and works like a dream. Seems to sell for ~3€ atm on sale.

Original Poster2 points · 1 month ago

Yeah I did hear about the issues running the original version, might just pick up the remaster but the box is nice to have anyway

Ryzen 7 1800X | GeForce GTX 1080 | 32GB DDR43 points · 1 month ago

Auto-fail: No original Fallout :-(

Thats even older dude. Also I am not sure how attainable a copy is.

2600. 32gb, gtx1080,26tb disk, Good Internet at Last1 point · 1 month ago

bix box releases of fallout 2 are going for ~60 to 200 pounds on ebay :(. I remember when gog was new (and loooong before fallout 3 made the series famous again) they would give every new account fallout 1,2&tactics for free :).

Yeah I imagined something like that.

I admit I sort of enjoyed the style of Beteshda especially initially, but for my next fallout game I yearn for the style of 1 and 2, which felt very end of the world like and the 60s go happy music was reserved for the intro and nowhere to be found in the actual game and the world wasn't an explosion of colors either.

3 points · 1 month ago

Great finds. Had so much fun with each of those games at different times.

Grim Fandango!!!!! Awesome!!!!

i7-4790K ■ 16GB 2400MHz ■ GTX 1080 ■ Windows 73 points · 1 month ago

Baldur's Gate? My personal first AD&D game ever was Planescape: Torment. It had a great Steam Sale recently for the Enhanced Edition. I've completed it just a few days ago and it was a really amazing, unique experience. And also my first interactive e-book I've ever played.

But yeah, I still want to check BG one day too, although it doesn't sound half as exciting as all those descriptions of Planescape: Torment. But probably I will enjoy it anyway.

I have to check Grim Fandango one day too.

2600. 32gb, gtx1080,26tb disk, Good Internet at Last2 points · 1 month ago

i replayed planescape again a few months ago. Still holds up as well as it did at release - probably even better as I can use the web now to make sure that I don't miss too many of the subtleties and quests.

ties equally, for me, with witcher 3 for me as the best game ever made.

god I love pst <3

i7-4790K ■ 16GB 2400MHz ■ GTX 1080 ■ Windows 72 points · 1 month ago

I didn't play Witcher 3 yet :) I need to complete Witcher 2 finally before buying 3. I started playing it 2 years ago and still can't go back to it fully, didn't even finish the 1 chapter. It's kinda a love-hate experience for me.

Aside from that (I will try Witcher 3 one day, I promise), I think that you may also like NieR:Automata. For me this piece of art is a masterpiece that could only effectively exist in the video game medium. It's so sad that this masterpiece doesn't recieve any PC support... (you need a fan patch) and that getting used to the controls needs some in-menu camera/sensitivity tweaking and some practice to get it right. But comparing to the whole game experience, it's not that significant. Personally I've never experienced something like Automata in any other game or medium.

Maybe my humble opinion about it will help a bit: https://steamcommunity.com/app/524220

Specs/Imgur Here3 points · 1 month ago

...time before you were born? Fuck now I feel old as shit.

Pirates! Great game, could never figure out how not to retire. Still, lots of good history and a great way to learn 10 key.

all good ones. great finds

Grim Fandango will blow your mind.

Neverwinter Nights was the game "you have been waiting your whole life for" according to the t-shirt I got with the boxed version of the game.

ENJOY!

i7 4790k | Geforce GTX 970 4GB | 16GB DDR3 Ram | 2 points · 1 month ago

Man I was a teenager when most of these games came out.

Wait how old are you?

Original Poster1 point · 1 month ago

Haha im 20, born in 1997 so a couple of them are slightly younger than me

Specs/Imgur here2 points · 1 month ago · edited 1 month ago

Neverwinter Nights is my personal favorite game of all time, been playing it every year since it came out when I was 5. Hope you enjoy it!

http://steamcommunity.com/id/clickherefaggots1 point · 1 month ago

Between Baldurs Gate and Neverwinter I have thousands of hours well spent. Beautiful games.

Specs/Imgur here1 point · 1 month ago

They just put Neverwinter Nights on Steam, not really Enhanced at all like they claim but the multiplayer is easy to use so I thought it was worth getting again. My brother and I just finished the three main campaigns together for the first time!

Good haul

There’s a YouTuber who reviews old games. They’re usually bad, but still check out mandalore gaming.

http://steamcommunity.com/id/clickherefaggots2 points · 1 month ago

You got some good shit. Neverwinter was my favorite as a kid.

Pirates is tight af. If you need help getting it to run on Windows 10 PM me, I played it recently and if I remember correctly there was a basic fix it needed in order to run

Have you ever said "I wish I had never seen/played that, so I could experience it all over again" I hope you find the same great warmth in those titles.

R7 1700@3.6Ghz | MSI 1080Ti | MSI X370 | EVO 960 M.22 points · 1 month ago

I replayed (and finally finished) Grim Fandango just a couple months ago, such a great game!

2 points · 1 month ago

Grim fandango is excellent, one of my most beloved games, enjoy it!

i3-7100, GTX 1050Ti, DDR4 8GB1 point · 1 month ago

mmm.... Grim fandango

Damn I feel old! I loved neverwinter nights.

All solid games. Yeah people under 30 can make play the games from the year I was born a thing. Never thought about it.

Go further back and play Fallout one and 2, if you want a post apocalytpic game that is actually dark and bleak and not a trip to Vegas with Music from the 60s.

Neverwinter Nights has a modern revival in Steam Early Access right now. Then again, CDPR constantly gave the game away with Witcher series deals.

The revival includes all of the "premium" modules that Atari didn't want sold any more for the original game. You had to buy the diamond edition.

i5 6500, 1070 ti, 8g RAM1 point · 1 month ago

Baldur's Gate and Neverwinter are awesome.

"from a time before I was born"

I'm looking at that pile thinking those were fun games, I'm in my twenties and I feel old now, fuck.

Will they even run on Windows 10?

2600. 32gb, gtx1080,26tb disk, Good Internet at Last1 point · 1 month ago

with difficulties (like needing to setup a virtual machine level of problems). Those games are all some of the best ever made and it is worth owning boxes just for the delight of owning something so important.

To actually play... get the gog releases or the enhanced editions :)

All of them are great but Pirates! is incredible.

1 of those games I fucking love and is one of my fondest child hood gaming memories (Pirates on the amiga).

1 of those games I really enjoyed and I think it's a classic (Grim Fandango).

1 of those games I think is terrible (morrowind).

1 of those games I uninstalled after playing it for 30 seconds because of an ugly mouse cursor and texture dithering (baldur's gate).

But all 4 games are classics with loads of fans. Good picks!

i5 3330 | 970 | 8GB RAM1 point · 1 month ago

Most charity shops I've volunteered at don't sell PC games. They throw them in the trash, so every time I came in to volunteer I'd come back with a large haul of video games as my manager gave me permission to keep them since they'd get thrown in the trash anyway. Good games too. Got base game of Sims 3 (key worked too!) Sims 2 and some expansions, farming simulator, baldurs gate, and more. Surprisingly, they don't really do much with electrical gear. I'd see mountains of electronic goods spanning from household items like microwaves, tv's, to entertainment gear like consoles, music players, never seeing the light of day. It's actually a fun experience if you get the chance to volunteer. I talked to my manager about the consoles and thanks to him I've managed to learn a bit about how to fix consoles like PS3's and PS2's, which we then sold for a decent price.

Time before you were born?! What are you? 12?

Laptop (Celeron N3060 @1.6GHz, 4GB RAM)1 point · 1 month ago

No, he could be 16-17

Damn that makes me feel old. Baulder's Gate was my first PC game (I was already an adult). I also spent a ton of time in Neverwinter Nights (2), Sid Meier's Pirates! is incredible (very dated but still oh so good). Grim Fandango is the only piece of ancient gold there that I never played.

FYI you can get Baulder's Gate: Enhanced Edition on Steam, plus some of the older Bioware games (Torment has been remade as well). They fully support modern hardware and resolutions now.

R7 2700x| Asus STRIX Vega 640 points · 1 month ago

grim fandango is boring af

Ascended

Welcome to the official subreddit of the PC Master Race. In this subreddit, we celebrate and promote the ultimate gaming and working platform. Ascend to a level that respects your eyes, your wallet, your mind, and your heart. Ascend to... the PC Master Race.

r/pcmasterrace Rules