Sign up and stay connected to your favorite communities.

sign uplog in

Getting kicked out of home at age 17, not entirely sure on what to do.

Hi everyone, So just to give you a quick backstory, I haven't exactly been the perfect son over the past two years. I've experienced quite a bit of trauma in my life and chose one the worst coping mechanisms to choose from which ended up being weed and xanax. I'm currently in a rehab and have been here for the past month. I tried to make amends with my mom this past week to which she didn't reply and I finally received a text today, stating that I am left to my own devices and have to somehow survive on my own once I get out. She's tired of me fucking up her life and told me that she'll no longer be financially supporting me and I'll be staying here in Thailand (where my treatment center is located) illegally. I'll have a rented airbnb and I have to somehow manage. I'm pretty scared as how to react to her because I really don't know whether I can salvage my life here. Is there any advice you guys can give me on how to handle this situation?

60% Upvoted
What are your thoughts? Log in or Sign uplog insign up

Why are you in Thailand? What country are you a resident of? Your parents are legally responsible for you until you are 18 years old.

Original Poster2 points · 5 months ago

I'm a US citizen and I'm my treatment center is located in Thailand

  1. For your own sake, stay away from drugs. That includes any drug-related subreddits.

  2. Illegally means illegally, which means she is breaking the law and should go to jail (sounds like a favor to you). Let your rehab "supervisors" and/or the nearest US embassy know that you're being abandoned as a minor.

  3. To piggyback on 1), keep in mind that this is illegal, but in less than a year it will not be. So get your **** together.

I would reach out to the US Embassy, and explain your situation. You are an American child who has been abandoned in a foreign country, and getting home should be your priority.

People are suggesting you threaten your parents with a lawsuit; I'd advise against that. Best case scenario would be that they are forced to let you back into their lives, they make life hell, and then boot you as a birthday present.

On top of that, I'd wager that working with the Embassy to get back home would trigger criminal investigations into your parents for leaving you there. Unfortunate for them, but they made the bed they sleep in, and it will open lots of resource access for you as an abandoned child.

In any case, get back to the US while you are still a minor. Doing it as an adult will be much more difficult.

Get back to the US, find a job ASAP, and live with roommates you find on Craigslist for as little as possible. You’re looking for shitholes.

You’re only 17. You’ll need to get your GED and then eventually get to college on loans, but survival is priority #1.

There are treatment centers in the US. This doesn't make sense.

But anyways, I would go to the US embassy in Thailand and explain your situation. That is absolutely the best place to go.

Original Poster2 points · 5 months ago

Insurance wouldn't cover it. And yeah I'm gonna talk this over with my counselors.

Something tells me your parents made this up as a ploy to get you out of the country. Why would insurance cover treatment in Thailand (+ airfare?) and not the US?

Either way, it's highly illegal for parents to abandon you in Thailand. Will you turn 18 before your session is finished? Either way, your priority should be to make it home before you turn 18 - and I would reconsider any sort of relationship with your parents if that's their approach.

Your parents are legally responsible for your care until age 18. She has to supply the basics of food, clothing and shelter until 18. Make that clear to her and threaten a law suit if she refuses. Then take the time you have to clean up your act and formulate a plan.

We're not really the "how to live illegally in Thailand" forum.

Your first idea would be to work with any other friends or relatives to get some short-term help to get back to the US with a place to stay while you sort this out.

Threaten a lawsuit against your mother, you are technically her responsibility until you're 18. The other thing I would recommend is GO TO THE US EMBASSY! Explain your situation and they can help you get back home so that you can start rebuilding your life!

Community Details





Learn about personal finance: budgeting, saving, getting out of debt, building credit, investing, and planning for retirement. Please join our community focused on financial education and helping each other!

Create Post

r/personalfinance Rules

R1. Submission guidelines
R2. Self-promotional advertising or soliciting
R3. Unhelpful or disrespectful
R4. Asking for handouts
R5. Legal discussion
R6. Politicizing
R7. Lawbreaking information
R8. Personal attack or abusive language
R9. Relationship or personal advice discussion
R10. Other bad behavior
Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.