Sign up and stay connected to your favorite communities.

sign uplog in
2

As the title suggests, I recently accepted a position as a junior analyst at a credit rating agency. As part of their screening process, I had to disclose all of my securities holdings. After submitting them, almost all of them being single stocks, I was told I had to divest these holdings before my start date in a few weeks. The only securities I can invest in are large, mid, and small cap funds, broad bond funds, and also some broad international funds.

Has anyone else had to do this? Can I transfer my funds to my dad’s account and have him assume my account? Seems a little extreme as I had already purchased these securities before I started.

Any insight would be helpful!

3

So my Mom is 63, divorced and has never worked. Instead she took care of their parents (my grandparents) until they died and inherited a $1M in stocks, mostly Kraft and Phillip Morris. A few years ago she has some crippling health problems and at the same time she discovered her long time financial advisor had been stealing five figures worth of money from her. After she got better she was relieved to be done with everything she settled out of court for less than he took. Now she is terrifying of financial advisors.

The biggest problem is that the stocks she has in Phillip Morris have a $0 cash basis. And before everyone jumps in and says we can research this and get the actual basis it has been decades, and multitudes of people of who have attempted to find the cash basis and nothing. It’s $0. PM makes up the bulk of her stocks but I’m not sure exactly how much.

She never worked outside of being a caretaker so she has no social security or any type of retirement account. She is, as we understand, eligible for her ex spouse who has died. She will be 65 next year. She is selling her house in PA and expects to receive $80-$100k in net proceeds which she is going to use to build an addition or finish our basement to the property I own in Maine.

Basically I’m of the uneducated opinion that she needs to diversify her portfolio into something much safer than the individual company stocks of 4 or 5 different companies. The problem is the capital tax gains are crippling. She has no debt other than a $200 car payment but her health insurance is $1500/mo as she has been ineligible for assistance because of her stock holdings.

How can she protect what nest egg she has left? Does taking her ex’s social security now impact her drawing? Will she be Medicaid eligible with her stock holdings? I want to help her make sure she has enough money for the next 35 years as her family is extremely long lived. My spouse and I do well but we are behind on our retirement without worrying about supporting hers.

Thanks in advance!

3

Not sure if this is the right spot situation as follows:

Background info, renting an Apartment in New Jersey, contacted a realtor in NJ, Not sure if posting the company causes legal trouble, will state if needed. I never signed anything with her and saw apartments.

So we found an apartment we like, we got brought the rental application process and everything gets settled in, we pay security, first months rent, sign the lease. We have to pay a fee to the listing agent and realtor, total of 1 months rent. And she said the fee is split between the two agents, okay, so two checks equaling the 1 months rent. Two weeks into renting the apartment. She sends us an online document to sign, it’s an disclosure agreement about the realtor company, which I believe we were supposed to sign before we looked at apartments. It basically says that singing it agrees to paying the realtor. The realtor agent seemed new.

Do I have to sign this, what happens if I don’t, what does it mean?

If more info is needed just ask

Thanks!!

2

Just wondering if a person with an understanding of basic accounting is capable of doing their own taxes? Of course specialists understand the loopholes but besides that, is it possible? Thanks.

2

My 82 year old grandfather believed one of those pop ups saying his computer was infected and eventually agreed to give his credit card to someone for nearly $1600 for technical support. He told me about it about 2 days later so the first thing I did was help him dispute the charge.

The rep at Chase required me to tell them exactly why it was being disputed, saying it was a scam was not good enough. Eventually I settled on "Non-Receipt of Services or Merchandise." Now he has received the forms for this dispute and I'm not sure how to finalize this. A couple of the questions or information being asked for:

  • Please provide a detailed description of the service/merchandise you ordered.
  • What was the reason for your cancellation

Will simply saying that a false or misleading internet ad tricked my grandfather into believing he needed their services be enough for the dispute? Will I need to provide much more information here?

Thanks for any help. Also just an FYI - I'm in IT so I have thoroughly removed all the junk they installed on his computer.

10

Long-time r/personalfinance reader, first time poster. I have a fairly complex choice to make this summer, but it's one that is also not uncommon so I'm curious to hear what people think my best option is.

I was lucky enough to be able to buy a fixer-upper house in what was, at the time, a run-down neighborhood that has appreciated substantially since I purchased it in 2010. I lived in the house from 2008 to September of 2015. Since then, I've been renting it out; currently, I'm just barely breaking even on my mortgage, once you factor in the costs of repairs and maintenance. The house has appreciated from 230k when I bought it to somewhere around 450k today, based on Redfin and Zillow estimates and comparable sales in the neighborhood.

My question is this: my exemption on capital gains on the sale of the house will expire in September of this year (after that point, I won't have lived in the house for two of the past five years). This creates a strong incentive to sell in September so I can avoid the 15% in capital gains taxes.

However, there are also compelling reasons to hang onto it:

  • the house is in a central part of a city (Austin) that looks like it will continue to grow and appreciate over the next 5 years at least
  • a lot of excellent restaurants, theaters, etc are opening up nearby. A luxury apartment complex was also recently built nearby.
  • if I sell this fall, I won't have time to fix the house up or stage it properly. It is in pretty rough shape. Since I'm reasonably handy with things like repairing light fixtures, painting, and landscaping, I believe that I can add between 10k and 20k in value to the home just by spending a couple weeks fixing it up and painting it.

In short, my choice is between selling now and making around 160k in gains (factoring in closing costs, mortgage payoff, and depreciation taxes) or hanging onto it and selling it for a higher price in 3-5 years. Assuming Zillow's estimated appreciation rate for the area is roughly accurate (3.6% per year, which I think is conservative), I can assume a total return of around 215k after taxes if I hang onto the house for 5 more years. (Happy to elaborate on my math here if anyone is curious; it's not exact but I think roughly in the right ballpark.)

If I sold the house this year, I'd reinvest the proceeds in a Vanguard index fund or the like. So in many ways this comes down to a macro bet between real estate vs equity appreciation over the next five years. Curious what people think.

10
2

As I enter my senior year, I am beginning to seriously consider my college options and financial situations associated with each of them. Throughout my schooling, I have always been a high achiever that strived to be the best student I could be. Luckily, that has payed off as I have stats and activities that could perhaps justify admission into an elite college. I’ve always been a strong supporter of graduating debt free and have always been set on my state school, but after doing some of the net price calculators for some private schools, it turns out they are more affordable than I thought.

Here are my two options:
* Attend my state school and graduate with $0 in debt
* Attend a prestigious university (think Yale, Duke, Georgetown, etc.) and graduate with most likely 20-30k in debt

Most of the private schools estimate a yearly contribution of 25k from my family. I’m thinking I can get about 5k a year from work, 3-5k a year from scholarship, and 10k a year from my family (the same amount they would pay for state school). If it worked out like this I would graduate with about 24k in debt. So is the debt I would take on to attend a better school justified?

1

I'm currently studying Korean, and I'm about to enter my junior year of college, pursuing my bachelors in graphic design. I've been thinking about whether I should save for a trip to Korea in 6 months for winter break, or if I should instead put that money into paying off my student loans while in college to chip away at my student debt, and then try to get a job in Korea.

I've thought about living there constantly; I've been infatuated with the culture since I was little, and it's part of my childhood. But I've never even been there, and I feel like I should get a taste of it first before planning on just up and moving there. However, I don't know if by 6 months I'll be comfortable enough to speak by myself, or if I'll even have saved up enough money just with a part-time job. And I feel like maybe I can chip away at my student debt instead of using that money for a trip.

I don't even know if trying to get a graphic design job after college in Korea as a foreigner is that plausible. The one thing I DO know is that you can teach English and they sometimes pay for your housing, plane ticket, etc. I've read a lot about how people can pay off their student debt in as little as a year or two with this option, with the combined low-cost living, and the salary. This sounds like something I'd like to do; I'd finish college, and then go to Korea to teach English. As for my graphic design degree...idk where that would come into play. I do know teaching English there would enable me to learn the language better, see if I even like living there, and pay off my student debt.

I guess my questions are this; should I visit Korea in 6 months during winter break for vacation, or wait until after college to just get a full-time job there? Should I not worry about paying my debt yet and just wait after college, and travel instead?

I come from a pretty poor family with a lot of debt, and want to make the right choices unlike them, but also want to pursue my dreams. I know I'm asking quite a few different questions in here. My brain is just a little bit scrambled with everything, haha.

3

Hi /r/personalfinance. Long time reader, first time poster. I’m using a throwaway because too many friends know my usual handle. Sorry in advance for the novel and thanks very much to anyone who bears with me.

TL;DR: I have a shitty manager and just found out that Manager collects $150,000+ for doing nothing (because Manager published all of our pay rates and asked me to review the file). I currently make about half of that. Corporate leadership acknowledged that I have been doing Manager's job for years and told me that Manager will be transferred at the end of the year and I will be promoted. They don’t know that I know the salary. I’m overwhelmed and don’t know how much to ask for or to even let on that I know how much they have been paying my manager. What’s the best way to go about this?

BACKGROUND

I’ve worked for a company in a job I enjoy for the better part of a decade. I am one of two supervisors who functions under one manager. Manager was never a good manager, but has steadily declined in work performance and attitude over the years. Over time, Supervisor 2 and I have taken over all of Manager’s responsibilities. Meanwhile, Manager contributes nothing productive and does all kinds of bad shit ranging from 3-hour "work" days to making employees cry.

Part of the reason Manager got away with this for so long is because Manager’s manager was located in a different office and didn’t give two shits about checking in on Manager or our department. However, corporate leadership recently had a few long-awaited shake ups due to retirements. Both HR and new leadership have now acknowledged that Manager is a total asshat and began asking Supervisor 2 and I some pointed questions about Manager’s work (think Office Space: “what would you say Manager does here?”). Supervisor 2 and I were more than happy to oblige and spilled the beans on everything that has been going on for years now.

Corporate leadership acknowledged to us that Manager is not fit to be a manager and cannot be left in that position. They also told us that it’s clear to them that Supervisor 2 and I do all of the managerial work and should become dual managers, effectively eliminating the position above us.

Because Manager has no black marks on the HR record (a symptom of previously having a manager in a different office) and several friends in high places within the company, corporate leadership doesn’t feel comfortable with just giving Manager the boot. They’ve told us the plan is to reassign Manager to a different department, make sure Manager is no longer a manager, and promote Supervisor 2 and me to be co-managers of the department, effectively just how we run it now.

FINANCIAL SITUATION

I am going to need to begin negotiating a salary for this new position over the next few months as this transition starts to occur. I have been really unsure what to ask for in terms of salary since I have effectively been doing the job without the technical title at my current rate of pay for several years. I worry that the corporate leadership might try to give me some token ($2k) raise and the new manager title and call it good because why would they pay me more for a job I’ve already been willing to do at this rate?

Then things changed a little.

Last week, Manager made a rate table for a contract bid publishing every person in our department’s pay, including Manager’s own. It actually didn’t even need to be made, but Manager is an idiot. Manager asked Supervisor 2 and me to review the bid and also allowed one of our lowest level employees to see the table as well. (Manager gives 0 fucks what that does to morale.) I discovered that Manager makes $153,000 base annually. That is presumably what the company believes a manager of my department deserves to make. I make less than half of that.

In light of this new information, I now feel that I should try to negotiate a much higher rate than I otherwise would have. I think $120,000 for both Supervisor 2 and me would be reasonable, but I’m looking for a gut check (and don’t worry, I know that I need to negotiate independently of Supervisor 2). I arrived at that number because I would technically be a new manager and because I understand the excess “manager money” would be split between Supervisor 2 and me.

Am I crazy for thinking that my company would give me $120,000 when I currently do the job for over $40,000 less? Or should I ask them for more than $120,000 in light of how much Manager makes?

Do I ask for $120,000 and then bring a print out of Manager’s rate table if they try to laugh me out the door? Is it unprofessional for me to even bring it up? Corporate leadership has no idea I know what Manager makes, and I honestly would have guessed a lot less.

I have no idea what I’m doing. Any advice on these negotiations would be much appreciated. :(

ETA: I should mention that my role is fairly critical to my company and they have no one on staff capable of backfilling for me. Even Supervisor 2 handles a different branch of our department, so wouldn't be able to take over my role. It is a niche position that would be difficult to find qualified candidates for quickly, so if I left, it would hurt them for an extended period of time. I think that this relative value is understood because corporate leadership has continually reached out to me to make sure I'm happy and not planning to leave before they correct the situation. This gives me a little hope for my relative negotiating power.

2

I just graduated from college in May and am living back home. Career search has been slow, so I've recently acquired a part-time job in the meantime that will start in 6 days. 10.35/hr @ ~25 hours a week.

The last day of my lease is also in 6 days. I have an appointment tomorrow to go over my options on how to proceed and am worried I won't qualify for financing since I haven't started working yet. The job is 35 minutes from my home and no one will be able to drive me if I can't work something out. What are my best options?

Other information: Credit score is ~690, last verifiable job ended in October of last year (had money saved and quit to focus on final two semesters).

Community Details

13.0m

Subscribers

14.2k

Online

Learn about personal finance: budgeting, saving, getting out of debt, building credit, investing, and planning for retirement. Please join our community focused on financial education and helping each other!

Create Post

r/personalfinance Rules

1.
R1. Submission guidelines
2.
R2. Self-promotional advertising or soliciting
3.
R3. Unhelpful or disrespectful
4.
R4. Asking for handouts
5.
R5. Legal discussion
6.
R6. Politicizing
7.
R7. Lawbreaking information
8.
R8. Personal attack or abusive language
9.
R9. Relationship or personal advice discussion
10.
R10. Other bad behavior
Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.