Dead Kennedys - Saturday Night Holocaust

One of my favourite DK songs. So menacing, angsty and fierce.

3:06 is just musical genius.

Original Poster12 points · 3 months ago · edited 3 months ago

Yes I've always loved how this song tortures the listener until the pay off lol. I actually learned recently that the intro is a slown down version of the song Kepone Kids from the 78 demo that later went on to be reworked into Kepone Factory.

Never heard of that before!

Actually, there is a 1978 demo of Saturday Night Holocaust, and it is dubbed "You're So Cold" by us (the demo fanboys, hello) because Jello repeatedly says thay throughout the song.

It is the only song that ends suddenly, which raises my suspicions. It has a similar quality to Takedown too.

https://youtu.be/w47oT9D28YM Saturday Night Holocaust demo

https://youtu.be/Of2tx7-0Dkg Takedown demo

Original Poster2 points · 3 months ago

That's the first I ever heard any sort of connection between SNH and You're So Cold. I wish I could make out the lyrics on the demo. I've always thought SNH had a 6025 feel to it though.

Klaus and 6025 co-wrote the intro to Saturday Night Holocaust, and it started being played around 1979. It could feasibly be a 6025 song.

As for the lyrics, they're mostly just "you're so cold." Even for the 1978 demo quality, that is very poor quality.

Original Poster2 points · 3 months ago

One of these days someone's gotta find 6025 and get his story.

I'd be down for that. There are claims from Biafra that 6025 is still active, yet works under a pseudonym. He definitely picked up something from Snakefinger but I'm not quick to assume he became one of the almighty, avant-garde Residents.

So... if you live where the DKs hail from, get looking!

Beep Boop... I am a bot. I tried finding this song on other streaming platforms. Here is what I found

Spotify

iTunes

YouTube

I didn't find it on Soundcloud

Tidal

Google Play

If I've made a mistake please downvote me. I'll try better next time

I received this cd as a hand me down in one of those old fashioned CD booklets, there was this, fresh fruit, the misfits collection 1 & 2, ministry the mind is a terrible thing to taste, and some type o negative album. And this album and fresh fruit blew my mind. The year was 1998 and I was 12 years old.