Posted byall the rooms renumbered2 months ago

Radiohead - Come To Your Senses (2006 Soundcheck)

Breathe, keep breathing; Don't lose your nerveModerator of r/radiohead, speaking officiallyScore hidden · 2 months ago · Stickied comment

Hoserama himself has graciously provided a public Google drive of the full soundcheck and the Berkeley Night 2 mix!

Link to his comment here.

2 more replies

The Radiohead Almanac91 points · 2 months ago

Why the actual fuck is this not at the top of the sub? This is essentially like getting a new Radiohead single.

For the record, it’s amazing.

It’s not as important as uploading a photo of all the albums on CD or a shit painting of Colin Greenwood crying on a wind chime.

Guys let’s start another album survivor!!!

4 = 519 points · 2 months ago

Anyone else think Wolf at the Door is criminally underrated?

Burst out of the sand / with a bunch of flowers / you just say t9 points · 2 months ago

Guys I’m getting tired of these appreciation posts.

Keep your pearly whites clean3 points · 2 months ago

wow this sub is really running out of material

Pretty sure Thom is half improvising the lyrics, still amazing. But not necessarily single material (which aren't either always the best songs).

in the deepest ocean1 point · 2 months ago

Lol seriously, cause it's not a fucking meme.

This is absolutely massive. I can remember shitting all over Hoserama back in 2005.

Hoserama, wherever you are... thank you so much.

Cooler than the first 4 notes of EIIRP41 points · 2 months ago

Wait...what? Is this a hoserama recording? I've never heard the whole thing before and this is almost soundboard quality.

Edit: Oh, yeah okay it says it in the youtube description. Surprised hoserama is finally let these things go. Now if we could get him to release his full recording of Wake Me (Ring Me?) Before they Come

Breathe, keep breathing; Don't lose your nerve18 points · 2 months ago

(Ring Me?)

Right?! It's definitely Ring Me!

Anyways, yeah, hoserama released the entire Berkeley 2006 soundcheck. There's like 20 minutes of Come to Your Senses as well as a hilarious 30 second clip of Idioteque. Glad he finally released it!

Did he give any reason for releasing them? Longtime former Ateaser here and I thought it was a lost cause.

Breathe, keep breathing; Don't lose your nerve25 points · 2 months ago

From hoserama's note along with the release:

Bonus notes: Included is the complete soundcheck from 6/24/2006 Berkeley. Fun soundcheck from another great Radiohead show at the Greek Theater. This soundcheck is notable as the band plays the never released demo "Come to Your Senses". Thom talks about having just written the lyrics for it, and the do a bit of work on it. In general, Radiohead soundchecks tend to be a lot of fun. Thom is always joking around, and his clowning about chewing gum on stage at the beginning is a laugh.

This recording has a bit of infamy online. Initially I posted the the transcribed lyrics on the now-deceased Atease Radiohead message board. When I was laughed at and called a hoax (among other names), I tossed up a short clip to provide proof. When I didn't immediately provide a full recording, out came every mean insult in the book. I typically hold some recordings back as trade bait, but this was beyond many of the Atease fans. If I had taken a shot for everytime somebody on the board called me a douche, I could have drank an entire distillery.

With the demise of Atease, let's all lift a glass and take a drink in the memory of the snarky insulting Radiohead fans. You finally get the recording (for free!). It might have taken 12 years, but the recording is is being set free.

It's a pretty decent recording, but the mixes + recording gear have improved over the years. So it's not as clean as the 2017. There is occasional static noise, but not too bad.

Enjoy!

It's the 12 year anniversary of the show, so that's probably why specifically today. But I guess the demise of Atease caused the change of heart.

Cheers mate. Where did he post the note at?

Breathe, keep breathing; Don't lose your nerve5 points · 2 months ago

It was on a .txt in the folder along with the Berkeley show from 4/18/2017 and the soundcheck from 6/24/2006.

Full txt here: https://pastebin.com/AQv4cGem

Born and raised for the job♪3 points · 2 months ago · edited 2 months ago

Hey Bill, where could one get the full soundcheck? Also this isn't the one where they play Before They Come, right?
edit: yeah, no Before They Come.

Breathe, keep breathing; Don't lose your nerve3 points · 2 months ago

It was sent to me. It was released on some private tracker. It says to share freely, so I guess I could share with people. PM me I guess and I'll work on finding a way to share it tomorrow.

Born and raised for the job♪1 point · 2 months ago

Nice! Already sent my PM!

OK Computer2 points · 2 months ago

Glad they released it but for someone who doesn't like being called a douche they sure come off like a douche here.

That's because he is a douche 😎

Steal all my children if I don't pay Lorenzo4 points · 2 months ago

Where can I listen to wake me before they come?!?!

Breathe, keep breathing; Don't lose your nerve5 points · 2 months ago

he has only released these 2 clips (combined in this video).

Steal all my children if I don't pay Lorenzo5 points · 2 months ago

So he has released Come to yoru senses fully but not 'before they come'?

Breathe, keep breathing; Don't lose your nerve2 points · 2 months ago

Yeah, that is correct.

in split infinities5 points · 2 months ago · edited 2 months ago

If we're lucky, hopefully he releases it for its tenth anniversary on August 24.

lolipops and creeps9 points · 2 months ago

He also has present tense 2009 full band version

OK Computer1 point · 2 months ago

oh i want to listen to that

There is a hard to hear soundcheck version from 09' https://youtu.be/ysQa172xBAA

Jonny rocking the banjo.

Can anybody upload the full Berkeley soundcheck Hoserama has released? The link in the youtube description leads to a torrent site that requires registration but also says registration is closed :(

spnii23 points · 2 months ago
There's a way out3 points · 2 months ago

So... The beginning of the soundcheck reminds me of the Westworld intro, pretty awesome. Thank you for uploading it, and thank you Hoserama for sharing this soundcheck with us!

Speaking of westworld, how awesome is it that Radiohead is so prominently featured?

Thanks a bunch! Anybody willing to share the new Berkeley recording too?

Breathe, keep breathing; Don't lose your nerve5 points · 2 months ago

When I get home from work (in about 8 hours), I'll make both available. I encoded the FLACs to 320 MP3, so hopefully it should be easier to share.

Because we separate like ripples on a blank shore: in rainbows1 point · 2 months ago

TIL that All I need played fast sounds like Glass eyes.

much thanks!

wow, since this is a monitor mix you can hear the full band without the low pass filter applied during the first few minutes of ful stop. you can really hear what jonny and the drums are playing on this version

Where is this?

Born and raised for the job♪5 points · 2 months ago

Please!!!

Yes this would be much appreciated!!

Please!

wow. the legendary recording from hoserama surfaces.

tips fedora in memory of AtEase

lets hope his others appear sometime soon

Fedora is more the Hoserama sort.

Fuckin U2 fan.

I will strike anytime15 points · 2 months ago

I can't fucking believe it. I never thought we'd get to hear the whole thing...

Breathe, keep breathing; Don't lose your nerve3 points · 2 months ago

it's good too! I like it!

It didnt dissapoint either!

in split infinities12 points · 2 months ago · edited 2 months ago

Thank you Hoserama!!!

If you are reading, please consider releasing the full Wake Me soundcheck as well. I know you haven't wanted to over the years, but the tenth anniversary is in a couple months and it'd make us all very happy. We'd love to hear the early full-band Present Tense soundcheck that you've got too.

If it helps, I've never called you any names :)

The damage is done7 points · 2 months ago

RIP atease

I remember u

I honestly never thought I'd be able to listen to the whole thing, this is wild!

I think the most hilarious part of this saga though, is that the rest of the soundcheck is, well, just kind of more of the same hahaha. In the end, we really weren't missing much all of these years.

Super lovely to hear all of this though, and will definitely be downloading the full soundcheck to listen to the ~20 mins of them checking this.

Breathe, keep breathing; Don't lose your nerve6 points · 2 months ago

the "warm-up" of Come To Your Senses is a fantastic jam.

Hoserama was such an arsehole. Came online gloating about a new song and teased out owning it and then acted like fans wanting to hear it was an offence. He kept talking about its trade value but it’d barely make a difference as most people on atease didn’t have what he wanted. I remember people offering him a few hundred bucks. Absolute dick. Going away and giving this as a fuck you to a great, important forum is so petulant and another classic example of his intense, childish narcissism.

But hey guess it’s out so who cares?

All I remember from that era was his offer to trade the recording for unreleased U2 sound checks, which says everything IMO.

Did he expect a bunch of people on a Radiohead forum to have that? Not many would be U2 fans let alone tapers let alone both. Taping is a niche thing and anyone with something of note would either be on a bootlegger's forum (Bootlegger's Forum sounds like an On A Friday song) or be known as such on a tease. It's just unlikely. It's funny that no one ever had anything of worth so he put it out and instead of getting some attention from that forum, he's gotten like a hundred replies on this inferior chat page.

4 points · 2 months ago · edited 2 months ago

He could have never said a word, and we may never have heard this song at all. Perhaps he enjoyed riling people a little bit, but so did many others on AtEase.

I always respected his decision not to share the full recordings -- I think IEM or other wireless recordings should be treated differently than audience recordings, as they ultimately capture something that was intended for the band's ears rather than what is going out over the sound system for the audience. Soundchecks as well are for the band and crew rather than an audience. Immediately posting a high quality recording of a more or less private rehearsal of a song that's very much a work-in-progress before the band has had any time to polish / record / release the song in the way they want would've been pretty disrespectful towards the band and their process IMO.

edit to add: His Radiohead / Atoms For Peace recordings have always been top-notch as well -- seriously some of the best around and shared freely even after the drama with the soundchecks.

I am welcome for a fraction of a second2 points · 2 months ago

Very well put

Hey now - this guy has given us some of the best Radiohead recordings around. Let's show some appreciation. I didn't frequent AtEase so I'm not too familiar with the drama, but most of what I saw was people pestering Hoserama to share the recordings he has no obligation to share.

But hey guess it’s out so who cares?

That's pretty much all that matters. We were patient, and now it's out - let's just say thank you and move on.

Whoa super cool! I love the different lyrics to All I Need, he says "Im a flashflood running through the ground floor" at one point. Somewhere around 31:00 minutes!

Born and raised for the job♪5 points · 2 months ago

WHAT THE SHIT ASDKJADHGASH

There's a way out3 points · 2 months ago

Oh my, it's complete. I'm happy.

time to rewatch breaking bad

And he released the audio from Berkeley Night 2 from last year! Thank you Hoserama :)

Where is the audio for that??

It's on Dime: http://www.dimeadozen.org/torrents-details.php?id=624628

But you can't currently make a Dime account to download it, so that sucks.

Breathe, keep breathing; Don't lose your nerve5 points · 2 months ago

Thank you sir.

And My Worm Will CUM For You, Big Boobs3 points · 2 months ago

Wait, are you the actual horserama?

Tabula Rasa//Kid A2 points · 2 months ago

If you are the Only Horserama, how about showing a little love for all us Wake Me fans.

Please Hoserama....I've literally been waiting for 7 or so years..:(

amazing - i've been waiting for this. thanks so much!

in the deepest ocean1 point · 2 months ago

Thank you.

Like others have probably said, we'll gladly take "Wake/Ring Me" if you're offering!

Someone will get it and link it on here hopefully

Breathe, keep breathing; Don't lose your nerve12 points · 2 months ago · edited 2 months ago

I have it and will work on sharing it tomorrow.

EDIT: When I get home from work in about 8 hours, I will make both the soundcheck and the Berkeley show available in 320 MP3 format.

Hero

I like you.

You are amazing!

i'd appreciate a share when you get around to it!

Thanks sir!

These Are My Twisted Words3 points · 2 months ago

Kind of can't believe 2006 was 12 years ago......starting to feel old.

You built this up3 points · 2 months ago

Uhh... I'm kinda out of the loop, who's hoserama?

We've been sent good weather. Praise be!

All I know is that I now need the cleaner version of CUT A HOLE.

Hoserama's ateaseweb avatar is still burnt into my mind.

I am welcome for a fraction of a second3 points · 2 months ago

Holy shit this was out of nowhere

Woah! Thanks hoserama!

Even as juat a soundcheck sketch, it is a shame they never quite got it lff the ground. Somewhat hopeful lyrics, great guitar sound. I never would have thouht we’d get to hear this until they just put out a finished version. Alas, its probably to stay as such.

Honestly, its a shame Radiohead hasn’t been the most forthcoming with their soundchecka/demos. Hope to see more of this stuff in the future

I think they stopped working on new songs during soundchecks is because they kept getting recorded, as nice as it is to hear this it is clearly a very unfinished song and anybody claiming it’s anything different are absolutely bananas.

holy fuck this is legendary.

yup, this is astounding! as good as a new single.

These Are My Twisted Words2 points · 2 months ago

Fuck yeah! I've always loved the 20 second clip we had before....where did you find this?

I could totally see this being reworked in that same style of the new follow me around

Can someone please explain who Hoserama is? and why some people hate him and some people are thanking him??

A bit more detail: As a taper, Hoserama is known for producing in-ear monitor recordings - in the case of RH, usually from Thom and Ed’s feeds I think - and mixing them with more standard audience recordings. Some of his mixes are good enough to rival or surpass soundboard and pre-FM broadcast recordings. If you haven't yet, check the Berkeley Night One mix from last year for evidence. Honestly, that’s about as good as Radiohead bootlegs get.

As far as the atease drama goes, everyone will give you a different opinion. I was on that board for 17 years, and I personally have no problems with the guy. It’s not easy to make the recordings he makes, and at the end of the day, they’re his recordings, and it’s his prerogative to do whatever the fuck he wants with them. I can’t read his mind, but my guess is that by releasing the recording now, he’s trying to say, “Okay, enough time has passed, let’s all let bygones be bygones.” The fact that he’s been willing to share some of the best Radiohead boots ever made makes him more than okay in my book… but there are still some folks out there who will always call him a douchebag. To each their own.

This guy nails it 100%.

It's funny that the soundcheck is getting all the attention, but it's a bonus set for the 4/18/17 Berkeley Night 2 mix. The Berkeley 2 mix is a much more enjoyable listen as a whole; makes a great sister recording to the previous night.

And My Worm Will CUM For You, Big Boobs2 points · 2 months ago

is it really you?!

I've been waiting for the Night 2 mix since the show. So glad it's finally out, and it sounds great.

I really meant to post it on the one year anniversary of the show. Just got slammed with new job + move. I was going to throw in something from the Night 1 soundcheck, but never got around to mixing that up. Looks like the 2006 sck is floating people's boat though!

Breathe, keep breathing; Don't lose your nerve1 point · 2 months ago

I listened to most of your Night 2 mix on the way in to work today. It's incredible! I was at the show, and your mix is the absolute best way to relive that night.

I also noticed Thom messed up the lyrics for HTDC, that I definitely didn't catch live!

Yes, I should've mentioned above: Thank you so much for the night two mix. Great work as always.

we'd love to hear the night 1 soundcheck if you ever get around to mixin it! thanks for the 2006 one, it's a fascinating listen to hear them work through stuff before a show.

Thanks for all your shared recordings over the last years!

Big thanks from a RH fan who flied last year from Europe for those Berkeley shows :-)

very interesting....how did he get the feeds from thom and ed though???

LP3 pls1 point · 2 months ago

Do you think there's a chance he'll give people Before They Come too or is this all we're going to get from him?

Can't tell if he's trying to put the past behind him fully or just doing this one thing as a nice gesture

all the rooms renumberedOriginal Poster1 point · 2 months ago

he's the one who taped this soundcheck; i didn't know of him before the dubfam explained it to me at the r/radiohead sessions stream last night. but he apparently was notorious in the bootleg trade, and often held onto highly-desired recordings as 'trade bait' rather than sharing openly with other fans.

he got into a big fight on atease when people heard about this song and he provided the lyrics but wouldn't provide the full soundchecked song. so they got mad at him for that (understandably so), called him a lot of names i guess? (rather immature), and he basically became infamous for that incident.

as someone who likes to collect bootlegs i can't imagine not sharing anything i've got freely...

These Are My Twisted Words2 points · 2 months ago

Geeze....I wish they had properly recorded this one! It had so much potential! A true In Rainbows era rocker....kind of like Wicked Child meets bodysnatchers. So dope!

in the deepest ocean2 points · 2 months ago

After a few listens, I get why this song never left the soundcheck stage.

The songwriting is not great IMO. Pretty boring, uninspiring melody and changes.

TBH it's very underwhelming. This was one of the last "unreleased gems".

These Are My Twisted Words1 point · 2 months ago

You just made my weekend..right at the buzzer too. Bless you!

Is there the full soundcheck on YouTube? Hearing them in a more casual, friend tone for an hour sounds great.

Colin Greenwood1 point · 2 months ago

16 horsepower vibes. Amazing.

And My Worm Will CUM For You, Big Boobs1 point · 2 months ago · edited 2 months ago

OML, why wont horserama come to his senses and release Wake Me???

I mean this is just amazing anyways dude, thanks.

1 point · 2 months ago · edited 2 months ago

Too groovy to not be fully realised. The whole soundcheck makes me want Radiohead to release a really relaxed groove/jam record. They won't but this is great!

1 point · 2 months ago · edited 2 months ago

This makes me wonder, the songs they never released were probably pretty dang great, they probably just felt they didn't fit the aesthetics of said album. This is a perfect example.

the bass interacting with the banjo and drumming is some of the grooviest stuff since the era of groove.

It has a banjo in it!?! I recall reading an interview where Thom said they would never use one

I am welcome for a fraction of a second2 points · 2 months ago

They had it for I Am a Wicked Child, I think

If you’re talking about the ethics of using someone else’s sound, that was intended for them, surely tapping into the wireless feed is shoddy to begin with?

That's a fair point. I'm glad you're taking a principled stand and refusing to listen to anything recorded from monitor mixes, such as this recording.

Hi everyone. Does anyone have just the edited Audio from the youtube stream in MP3 form? The soundcheck tracklist is split into 3 tracks, and would like to have it just as it's edited on the Youtube video.

Thanks!

To be perfectly objective here, this is not impressive. I know this song gets a lot of hype amongst hardcore fans but i just don't hear the magic. If they ever release it i hope it sounds way different.......which, judging by their track record, it will.

I will strike anytime2 points · 2 months ago

It's the fact that it's a glimpse into 2005-2006 Radiohead that's exciting to me. We very rarely get to hear a song from them when it's still coming together like this; not to mention one from this important period in their career.

Fair enough.

2 points · 2 months ago · edited 2 months ago

It's pretty dang catchy and groovy though! Love the idea and quality of this. Lyrics are cool too. Drums are great, banjo is exciting, it's fully fledged out. There is also an egyptian vibe to this. Incredible.

you can hear the magic happening.

eh, i guess i just think it needs work. who knows if this will ever see the light of day anyway.

I don't think anyone really expected to have their hair blown back by this song, we just knew a recording of it was out there and were excited to hear it someday. It's nice to finally hear the whole thing.

yeah i can understand that. i guess it's just different for me cuz i never was interested in the soundchecks of this song or other unreleased songs.........i'd rather hear them fully realized and officially released. i've been burned in the past a couple times from getting too used to new songs that were being tinkered with live.

That's understandable. That happened to me with Present Tense, I got too attached to the original Latitude version and the album version still hasn't grown on me. I can't resist listening to these recordings as they come out though, I get too excited over new Radiohead stuff.

yeah i get it.

I too got too used to Latitude Present Tense. The album version is just...........i don't like it. Same thing happened to me with Identikit. Much preferred the 2012 live version.

A place for all things Radiohead. [News, Media, & Discussion]

r/radiohead Rules
Posts must be relevant to Radiohead.
No personal insults/toxicity.
No blogspam
No low quality/effort posts and memes.
No excessive/unnecessary polls.