[fresh] After a year of looking at this subreddit and making ramen I've decided to open my own ramen shop. Pork miso tonkotsu, Sanju Ramen Utrecht

That looks amazing. I'm drooling. Where is your shop?

Presumably Utrecht

Original Poster60 points · 4 months ago

In Utrecht! Right next to the big square!

Oooh i work in utrecht multiple days a week! I’m dropping by soon, this looks too good

Expand to south king county, Washington state asap please. That looks legit.

Original Poster46 points · 4 months ago

Man that's way too far! Across the pond is a bit too much for a second shop!

Hey can't blame a guy for trying. If I'm ever in Utrecht I'll hit your shop up. I actually know someone who lives there, but admittedly they're more an acquaintance. So not much reality in paying them a visit. Haha. Keep up the good work!

Well considering he's in the netherlands, I'd say just go up to Bellevue or Seattle instead. Probably a bit easier for more ramen options.

Yup, ramen has straight exploded across king county. I actually live in Bonney lake so south king county is about as far north as I want to travel for lunch on a regular basis. But still. A lot of good shops down here. Cap hill in particular has seen a huge influx of ramen shops recently.

Ooh, any recommendations?

For south king county? Sure! My favorite 2 joints and my lil cube in Puyallup and takaya ramen in federal way (inside new world market)

2 other good ramen joints are tokyoya ramen in federal way and arashi ramen in southcenter.

Places i want to try but haven't gotten around to it yet are k-ton which is inside the H-mart in federal way. And kizuki ramen in southcenter

Still can’t figure out if you guys are talking about Washington or The Netherlands.

Washington!

There’s multiples of us, we will eat all the ramen, bring itttt.

I live in king county, would love to have this here as well but there is also many ramen places around currently!

Tokyo-ya in federal way is my go to currently, I’d recommend it if you’re in the area!

There is a really solid ramen spot in olympia

Nice! Got a name? Might check it out next time I visit my uncle down there

Kizuki Ramen, it's downtown and its delicious.

Cool I have heard of them they're actually a bit of a chain. Have one in southcenter I've been meaning to try. Will bump that up the priority list just not sure which location. Thanks!

Ramen danbo is in Seattle but worth the weekly drive.

Yeah that is on my list for next time I'm in Seattle which is basically just baseball games. And hopefully in a couple years hockey. ;)

Edit: removed duplicate word

Awesome! Finally a nice ramen place in Utrecht. See you soon and good luck Jeroen!

Good luck! I tried your ramen last friday and it was really good. Was also surprised at how busy it was, hope it keeps up and you keep making new ramen :).

Original Poster6 points · 4 months ago

Thanks! Good to hear you enjoyed it :) We are currently experimenting with Tsukemen which will served in 2 weeks I think!

OMG looks great! Visiting from Amsterdam soon!

After only a year? That's impressive. Were you a professional cook before making ramen?

Oh hey, I've been there already. Was so excited to hear a ramen place was finally coming to Utrecht! The food was really good! Have you decided on a final menu yet?

Original Poster6 points · 4 months ago

Good to hear! We have decided to go for 6 ramen for now. 2 chicken based, 2 pork based, and 2 vegetarian options. We plan on working on those and then releasing a first special shortly after!

Nice, I'll definitely drop by again sometime! I actually work in a restaurant like 3 minutes away from you. Would love to stop by if I have a late shift but unfortunately you don't open till 5.

My roommate asked if you're going to call the place r/amen

Original Poster4 points · 4 months ago

Hi, I'm a bot for linking direct images of albums with only 1 image

Source | Why? | Creator | ignoreme | deletthis

Look good! Utrecht is near where I live, I will most definitely check it out.

Original Poster3 points · 4 months ago

Cool! Come and say hi soon!

Congrats! Can I ask you a shit ton of questions? I work in restaurants and would love to here about your journey.

Original Poster2 points · 4 months ago

Yeah sure! Send me a message with what you want to know!

What kind of work did you do in a year to open up shop? It's a long term goal/dream of mine to own my own restaurant so i'm pretty curious.

This is a little late, but congrats OP! My SO and I used to live in Utrecht and ramen is his absolute favourite food, so we used to go to Rotterdam for it. It's incredible to see a shop opened in Utrecht now, by a member or this sub no less. He'll be visiting soon so I'm sure he'll swing by :)

Looks incredible!

Original Poster2 points · 4 months ago

Thanks!

it looks amazing, I have to pass by! But, reading from the online menu, I see the same problem of many other ramen restaurant in The Netherlands: the price. 14 euro average for a bowl it's kind of crazy. I was in Berlin last week and I paid 10 euro for a tonkotsu ramen with so many noodles that I barely finished. At this point I'm wondering why is so expensive. Is it the rent for the place that make increase the final cost?

Original Poster3 points · 2 months ago

Hi! There are multiple factors at play unfortunately. Buying good quality products is pretty expensive in the Netherlands. Especially when it comes to meat Germany is wya cheaper than the Netherlands. Also Utrecht is turning into an expensive city that has high costs for both rent and staff.

That looks great! How is it getting ingredients? Besides the noodle ingredients, I assume the selection of fishy items and mirin/sake/soy sauce is probably limited. Or, do you use local (and possibly fresh!) substitutes?

Original Poster10 points · 4 months ago

It's alright. We try to use local ingredients there where possible but some stuff can't be substituted. We have some local varieties when it comes to fish and are currently experimenting if we can use them instead of imported stuff.

That's amazing! Good luck to you!

Awesome!

I wish you much luck and success in your delicious venture!

Congrats and all the best for your business!

I will try to visit you first time I’m in Utrecht, I hope you serve highball as well, what I miss most in the Amsterdam’s places...

Nice dude! I've been to most ramen shops in the Randstad, and looks like I've got another one on my list to try. Tot binnenkort!

Original Poster1 point · 4 months ago

See you soon man! Come and say hi!

Nice, more tonkotsu ramen places to try in the Netherlands. : )

Your menu is a bit strange though.. "chicken chashu"?? That literally means "chicken pork cutlet", right?

Chashu is a Japanese transliteration of the Cantonese term "cha siu" which means roast meat. Cha siu can refer to roast meat of any kind and sometimes includes certain fried meats, although I have never heard "chashu" refer to anything other than pork in a Japanese restaurant.

Where is it? I live in Amsterdam and would love to come! I know Utrecht, but do you have a site?

Original Poster2 points · 4 months ago

sanju.nl

looks amazing, best of luck with the shop!

I wish I had the finances to open a shop in Houston. Congrats on your new venture!

You're living my dream. Congrats on the shop. The ramen looks amazing

Tell us your story! Very interested as I have a similar idea in my home city. I'd love to know your journey. Dish looks great.

Oh boy, I'm gonna have to visit this soon!

That’s awesome!!! I had dreams of doing the same but TWO ramen shops opened up in my little college town so I decided against it. I hope the best for you and your endeavor.

Heyoo, I'm nearby, sort of... I'll stop by if I'm in town.

I definitely pay you a visit when I visit Amsterdam.

Stel je voor dat ik ook een shop zou willen openen in het vlamingen land. Enige tips?

Original Poster2 points · 4 months ago

Teveel om op te noemen! Beginnen met het tonen van je enthousiasme en verzamelen van de juiste mensen om je heen. Dan hopen dat het allemaal bij elkaar komt! Mocht je vragen heb stuur maar een pm!

Ik ga zeker even komen binnenkort!

1 point · 4 months ago · edited 4 months ago

I'm coming to Rotterdam for work next week and I'm willing to take a trip to Utrecht.

I don't see any opening days/times on your site though.

Edit: yeah, apparently on mobile those don't appear. Now that I'm on a desktop I can see it. See you on Tuesday!

Awesome! I’ll have to pop in sometime. Not too far to travel for me.

Sick! Binnenkort naar Utrecht dus!! Ziet er heel nice uit

Congrats and good luck!!

Next time I'm near Utrecht, I'm having this! How much ?

Congrats brother your food looks amazing I hope your business does great!

Awesome dude! I've got a meeting next week in Utrecht so I'll make sure to get a bowl.

Thanks , I never thought about that. Definitely gonna try it!

Woo! Came across this right after watching the 'ramen episode' on Netlix' Ugly Delicious. Definitely going to drop by soon!

Where?!