Homemade ramen components

I see you only made one serving.

I recently started making pasta from scratch and made 5 eggs worth for Alfredo and was shocked at how little total noodles I made. Had a lot of left over sauce lol.

This is art!

Always be knolling.

This is absolutely beautiful. It made me felt on my knees. Congratulations.

I have a technical question. Isn't this a soba noodles with ramen toppings?

Original Poster35 points · 3 months ago

Thanks for the gracious comments!

Mm, the main difference is that soba is made of buckwheat flour and ramen is made of wheat flour with kansui, which gives ramen noodles a yellowish color. These were made with wheat and kansui + rye flour, so they are more like ramen!

Sharing is caring!

Everything looks very nice. I like the composition of the picture and the way the noodles are arranged. Very nice pic!

this is so much better than any cheese board

This is gorgeous. Did you make the noodles from scratch?

Original Poster9 points · 3 months ago

Yes! 7% rye and 46% hydration. Each bundle weighs 130g.

I will have to try that out. lol

what's the light green bowl to the right of the mushrooms?

Original Poster5 points · 3 months ago

The white part of the green onion, julienned into thin matchsticks.

thanks

Original Poster6 points · 3 months ago

What's in the spoon?

Original Poster5 points · 3 months ago

Burnt garlic oil (mayu)

Did you make that yourself? I tried making it once and it just tasted like an ashtray, haha

Original Poster6 points · 3 months ago

Yes, all homemade :)

The key is to cook the garlic very slowly, and to stop cooking just before it becomes extremely burnt and instead when it’s extremely caramelized. It still will have a smokey flavor, so just use a tiny bit in your ramen!

Wow, awesome! If you wouldn't mind posting your recipe, or a recipe you follow, I'd love to give it another shot!!

Original Poster3 points · 3 months ago

Sure, it’s only a few steps. Here’s what I do to make a big batch of mayu (enough for 10 bowls of ramen, depending on how much you like in a bowl): • heat about 1 cup sesame oil over high heat • add maybe 20 medium sized cloves of garlic minced finely (cannot be whole, should be as finely minced as possible) • the moment you start seeing the garlic browning in certain places, turn heat to low-medium. Maybe after 5min. • keep cooking until garlic has a dark brown color overall and not black overall (there should be no white bits and some black bits are ok). Maybe another 5min. • turn off heat and let mayu cool down • blitz mixture in food processor until there are no noticeably large garlic pieces. It should smell part burnt and part sweet.

To store, I freeze mayu in a sealed container and it keeps for weeks if not months.

Next time I make mayu I’ll take note of the correct temp to cook garlic without burning, since that probably will help!

Thanks so much!! Can't wait to try it out again :)

Did you make menma yourself too? I’d definitely pay to eat your ramen, provided your soup is piping hot. I’m sure it is.

Original Poster6 points · 3 months ago

I made the menma from canned bamboo slices, which I braised in the chashu broth. And yes, ramen must be served scaldingly hot! :)

I'm guessing you've got just a little extra green onion?

Original Poster1 point · 3 months ago

These portions are enough for three!

This all looks delicious, what type of broth did this all come together in?

Original Poster3 points · 3 months ago

Chicken shio broth. It was actually a double soup with half chicken broth and shiitake dashi.

Looked like this: http://goedhartvoordieren.nl/?page=r/ramen/comments/8nssu7/chicken_shio_ramen_from_scratch/?st=JI2AF5NL&sh=8887d736

What's in the middle bowl on the right?

Original Poster1 point · 3 months ago

Shiitake mushrooms

The green stuff not being scallions?

Original Poster2 points · 3 months ago

Green stuff is green onion :)

how does one make fishcakes?

Original Poster2 points · 3 months ago

Upper right is menma not fishcake :)

ah tricky. That texture made it look like fish cakes not bamboo shoots

W2c plateware?

Original Poster1 point · 3 months ago

All over. I usually get most things from thrift stores! Or kappabashi street in Tokyo :D

Some of the plates here were made by Steelite.

Beautiful! So... Chicken shio, rye noodles, I just read the Ivan ramen cookbook and this is looking mighty familiar... ;)

Was hoping to give his recipe a go sometime soon. Is your noodle recipe the same as in his book? Any tweaks?

Original Poster2 points · 3 months ago · edited 3 months ago

The components here are inspired by Ivan’s chicken shio yep! But over time some of my techniques have deviated significantly.

Noodle tweaks • I use significantly less kansui because I feel like the texture doesn’t improve noticeably and also the risk of metallic taste is high with too much kansui • Having worked a lot with bread baking, I have found letting noodle dough rest significantly between steps is crucial for gluten development. In particular, it is important to rest the dough after mixing water and flour and again before cutting. I’ve been experimenting with resting dough for up to 36 hours and I think it gets better the longer it rests. Sometime I’ll see what happens if you rest the dough 1 week just for fun! • I found that cutting the noodles to 15” is optimal for slurping

Other tweaks • I do use the double soup method, but I don’t find a noticeable difference (yet) when cooking at 176F, which is what Ivan recommends. Instead, I prefer to blanch the chicken (or pork) bones for 10min in rapidly boiling water to remove scum and dirt from bones. This has a significant impact on cleanliness of flavor and color of broth • Instead of adding chicken fat and pork fat directly to the broth, I prefer to add minced pork fat droplets, which give the broth added texture and mouthfeel • I don’t really use sofrito to create my tare; although it doesn’t hurt, it takes a long time to make :)

Thanks so much for the info! Appreciate it... Will have to take yours and Ivan's advice to heart as I dive in

Curious... What have you found to be the difference between say 36 hours rest and up to a week... Anything noticeable?

Original Poster1 point · 3 months ago

Similarly to bread, when you let noodle dough relax for longer periods of time, two potentially good things tend to happen: • gluten strengthens as the low water content gets absorbed by the flour more fully, leading to a bouncier/chewier noodle • raw flour starts to ferment slightly as natural yeast in the wheat germ start multiplying, leading to more complex flavor from the acetic/lactic acids that are produced

Noodles that rest after dough is mixed are MUCH easier to work with. Resting before noodles are cut produces a noticeably chewier end product IMO and this is good for thinner noodles especially. I haven’t tried one week but I imagine the noodle may have a slight tang in flavor especially since rye flour ferments quickly!

Oh thank god, I thought this was r/wewantplates for a second

Yaaaa boiiiii