I just discovered this sub, and I think this belongs here - ramen at a locals only spot in Kyoto.

What do you mean by “locals only?”

Original Poster49 points · 2 months ago

Just that usually only locals go there. Not too many foreigners, but they’re not discriminated against if that’s what you’re asking.

I really thought us foreigners weren't welcome because of the way you said locals only lol

Japanese culture has been known to have a xenophobic streak. America and other countries do, too. However, it does exist in Japan.

Ya I understood this as "only Japanese allowed" good to know otherwise!

Is it one of those places with Japanese text only menu and out of the way so you kinda need to know Japanese to order? I went to one and it was awesome, we just pointed at someone else's stuff to order. Also used translation on the phone for them to recommend something. It was def better than standardized chain stuff.

-9 points · 2 months ago(1 child)

It has 500+ upvotes, I don’t think people are down voting it... lol I just didn’t know if OP meant Japanese only! Or more of an off the beaten path place.
I love restaurants with that don’t usually get tourists. Usually their owners are thrilled and overly nice and helpful. (And in my experience almost always send you off with little gifts like tea or give you free dessert). Would definitely recommend finding places like that to anyone! Just know the phrase “what do you recommend?”: おすすめ品は何ですか。(osusume hin wa nan desuka) 🙂

Is that a dark broth or just a boatload of black garlic oil?

Original Poster30 points · 2 months ago

Dark broth!

Can you give us more deets in the contents of the broth? It’s intriguing how dark it is. Seems dark even for a shoyu. My guess would be beef of some sort but I’ve been wrong before.

Original Poster14 points · 2 months ago · edited 2 months ago

It’s called tokudai ramen - shoyu base and raw egg on top.

Edit: lmao why are people downvoting this?

Tonkotsu is typically white and creamy pork broth. That might be why all the downvotes. Not sure. Even with a soy addition it’s interesting that a tonkotsu would be that dark.

Original Poster9 points · 2 months ago

That’s my bad actually. At least someone pointed it out instead of unnecessarily downvoting. I meant tokudai. Sorry - Japanese words.

Cool. I didn’t want to be a know it all but I was pretty sure that was a typo. Thanks for clearing it up. People definitely got wild with the downvotes here today. Hahaha

I would suspect it's a shoyu ramen which tend to be dark

Original Poster12 points · 2 months ago

You are correct. Jesus Christ, Reddit. Why does this person have so many downvotes?

Wow this is certainly bizarre haha.

That broth looks amazing, do you have any idea what went into it?

Original Poster5 points · 2 months ago

Been posting the wrong location! I meant the shop next door. They’re very similar but the ramen is different. This isthe one.

Comment deleted2 months ago

Do you happen to have a picture of the menu? I'd gladly translate it.

Comment deleted2 months ago

Are you sure its this shop? I don't see anything like the one you posted on the website and on review websites

I've been to this place! One of my favorite ramen experiences during my trip to Japan.

My buddy and I stopped in after seeing a long line outside and because we were in need of some serious nourishment after a long night out.

We both ordered this absolute unit, without a doubt the most massive bowl of ramen I've encountered, but we both managed to put it away. A group of four Japanese friends next to us split one of these bad boys amongst themselves and we caught some funny looks.

Would recommend!

Is this some heavy mix of shoyu?

This is beautiful

heaven

What's the name of the place? I would like to visit one day.

Original Poster3 points · 2 months ago

Shinpuku Saikan 569 Higashishiokōji Mukaihatachō, Shimogyō-ku, Kyōto-shi, Kyōto-fu 600-8213, Japan +81 75-371-7648 https://goo.gl/maps/tQaMJt4JCy62

What are the slices at 5 o'clock?

It looks like a Toyama black ramen, made with dark soy.

-5 points · 2 months ago(0 children)
Original Poster6 points · 2 months ago

Of course!

This is very normal in all kinds of Japanese foods.

Yes I know, I’ve just never seen it served in the broth - usually it’s on the side and you add it yourself.

Not always in Japan