What's the consensus on the best running app right now?

I've been running for a few years, but had to stop for a few months because of an injury. I'm getting back to it now and figured I might as well try a running app. What's the thing of the moment for Android?

EDIT: Thank you for the response! Just did a half run with Strava and a half run with runkeeper. Sticking with Runkeeper for now.

EDIT 2: Also found out that there is no consensus.

Strava!

Comment deleted7 months ago
26 points · 7 months ago · edited 7 months ago

I'd like to add people that create shitty Strava segments to the list of strava wankers. There's multiple segments around me that are on long stretches of uninterrupted trail, but start right before or end right after an intersection. Why not just make it 100 ft shorter?

Or having 4 different segments for the same hill, all titled differently "_____ hill", " real _____ hill", " true _____ hill", " sprint up _____ hill"

I run at my local rec center in the winter sometimes, and someone has created a segment there that is called “[Rec Center Name] Mile” and is just two times around the track, which equals just about a quarter of a mile!

I looked at my Run one night and saw that is had taken me about four minutes to run that segment and for a second my brain was like, “Did I run a 4-minute mile? There’s no way I ran a 4-minute mile. But did I?”

regarding the multiple segments on the same hill, I had to add a third segment to the same hill in the area. The problem that was at stake was that co-incidentally, the bottom of the hill is right under a 35m high road bridge and the hill is going up the valley edge. In turn, a lot of runners would register the segment even though they were running on the valley edge road. There was a second segment that was just an extension from the top of the hill and possessed the same issue, but excabrated by the fact that the start was about 20m along the original segment. What this did was it allowed even more runners that were on the adjacent road to register the segment, including myself a few times. With the fact that the hill itself is 13% in mind, the CR's of both segments are "around 3:00/km" and both of which were set at a trail race that uses the road along the valley edge.

I had enough of that segment and added a third segment. Rather than start right under the bridge, I ended up moving the start a good 150m north on flat ground and used something along the lines of "Ravine to the Top". The CR wasn't "3:10/km", but rather "4:55/km" which is a lot closer to what you would expect when dealing with a 13% gradient thrown in there.

Fun to call them out

Those suckers who 'run' sub 2 hours for 30 miles 😂

Fun but Frustrating. On one hand, I look like an asshole because I take over the CR after flagging the guy but on the other hand it's either the data was so bad that it was causing pacing fluctuations, or it was clearly a bike ride. And I'm one that will double check if you hit the segment anywhere faster than 3:20/km as it's easy for a casual person to not really double check on Strava, record a bike ride that may be 30 minutes at 19 km/hr and have the pace varying between 15 km/hr and 25 km/hr.

One of the biggest hints of this is on the pace chart - a 30 minute bike at 19 km/hr (3:09/km) will fluctuate and have many segments done at faster than 3:00/km and even a few done faster than 2:45/km. A 10km run at 19 km/hr will have pacing that may range between 3:00-3:20/km if it gets this extreme.

What is a strava wanker? From the twitter it looks like people who record a run when driving or something? But who cares about what someone else is doing on a running app?

Strava has segments, short parts of road on which you can compete with other people. If someone takes your 1st place while riding a car it's very frustrating.

For a good time, check out the number of people who've PR'd whatever local airport runway is nearest you!

Just checked the segment on the local airport's runway. To my surprise, the CR's are legit as there is a race that uses one of the runways.

HA! Nice! I checked the heatmaps and cracked up laughing at the heavy circular patterns on Dulles, because there's no way those are legit.

But an airport race sounds fun!

New to me too. Looking at the Twitter feed, it looks like calls out cheaters who get KOMs

My brother is a pretty good runner (17 minute 5k) and he is always really annoyed when he tries to beat our local Strava segments, because 95% of them have the top spot held by someone who was on a bike. Even for someone of his ability these times are near impossible to beat.

Are they superhuman times? Perhaps he could flag them on the computer, and maybe Strava will look at it?

Yeah like he runs flat out just for the segment and still can't beat it. If anyone around where I live is going to be able to beat it, it is him. I will definitely give that a go! Thanks for the advice! He will be really pleased if they get removed.

Yikes

Nothing wrong with uploading gym activities and ice skating or even a soccer game. Other than that I had a good laugh.

For my GPS watch: Garmin Connect

For social: Strava

For data: Smashrun

For newbies: Nike+

I haven’t tried MapMyRun outside of using it to map routes.

I'm with you on this. I record with my Garmin, and then use tapiriik.com to sync to Strava and Smashrun.

Yes. And then u can just save smashrun.com homepage to your phone as an icon. Boom you've got a link to your data just like a phone app. I really like smashrun for looking at the data. Makes it easier to digest.

Uhh that's amazing, how have I not done this before!? It's just like having an app, thanks!

Comment deleted7 months ago

The sync happens so quickly that you don’t get a chance to change the title or add a description. So yes, if you’re happy with the default “Morning Run” or whatever title and no description of what you ran, then use the default sync. Otherwise you have to manually update Strava, or use a service to do the sync.

Yeah this is a bit of a pain but you can edit it straight away and change the title/add photos etc.

You can edit it in Strava, what's the issue?

1 point · 7 months ago

If you only every use Strava then there's no issue. tapiriik.com (and similar) isn't really for those people.

I haven't messed with it much, but yes. Thanks for simplifying my life!

I ran for the first time this morning with my Garmin and started runkeeper on my phone as well. When I was done, I was comparing the data been the Garmin connect and runkeeper and realized that there were two logs for the same run in runkeeper. I didn't know that it automatically synced. I love that feature. Plus it had all my heart rate data as well. I just deleted the manual log and kept Garmins.

You don't even need to use tapiriik to push to either strava or smashrun.

I’m a 5 year newbie. I just like the layout of Nike plus

I’m with you. I like the layout and now I have oodles of historical data.

It would suck to start at 0 miles. It seems accurate too. Especially compared to fit bit

There are easy ways to migrate data to any other app.

How? I'm currently on Runkeeper and want to change to another app but I don't want to lose all the data I've built up on it!

SyncMyTracks

Same. I love Nikes app.

This. I stick to Garmin for watch and strava for social and it works well.

This. Garmin will forward activities to Strava automatically once setup. Garmin has great analytics without having to spend a monthly fee.

I searched smashrun in the google play store and the only thing that came up is a cube dash game...

they don't have a phone app. www.smashrun.com. I use garmin connect, and it will sync there automatically and I just check it out while I'm on break at work.

Yeah. Smashrun is not an app. It's a desktop app with great analytics. As others have said, it sychs automatically with most apps (not Nike who won't share their data with others).

I like it because the analytics are great but also I find it easy to manually log treadmill runs here rather than elsewhere. (I don't wear my Garmin to the gym as it's not accurate).

2 points · 7 months ago · edited 7 months ago

I use three apps:

1. Trainingpeaks

2. Strava

3. Garmin Connect

Explanation: 1) My run coach works with TP so I have the "deluxe version" which is pretty good, and now with my Garmin 920XT I see even more data in TP. I find it interesting, though, I can't seem to make TP say "Garmin Forerunner 920XT" anywhere on the workout, so there's no explicit indication it's from that device (even though it's the only device I'm using). 2) I have Strava synced from Garmin Connect. 3) Finally there is Garmin Connect which has improved recently and displays lots of great data presented in its own layout.

I get different user value from each of the three apps and would call myself semi-zealous for data analysis, especially after a race.

I just read about Smashrun. Could you "sell me" on also signing up for that and using it for data analysis? How does it differ from the other three, is it "better" or just "different"? How has it changed your life? Or will it simply be another avenue for data analysis?

Thanks

Edit: Trainingpeaks free version is pretty good for training if you need to go the free way. Obviously works with Garmin (all the devices I've had over the years).

Smashrun has more and better ways to visualize your data. Here's a profile of one of the founders to poke around:

It's free to join. (Pro adds even more analysis features.) It syncs well with Garmin and you can import all your old runs with Tapiriik. There's not much downside to hooking it up and checking it out every once in a while.

All right then... I'll take a closer look.

Yeah, this is my set up as well. It's nice to interact on Strava but I also love the data and graphs available with Smashrun.

Comment deleted7 months ago

Smashrun has some great visuals on performance over time. They use a proprietary datapoint that helps visually compare runs of varying distance against one another so you can see your improvement in performance over time. I also find this a great tool to predict performance at upcoming races. Far, far better than Garmins useless predictor.

They also gamify training wtih badges for various accomplishments as well as providing rankings of performance (distance, devotion and speed) against peers.

I'm not suggesting that it kills the other apps but if you want another tool to analyse your data (and if it synchs seamlessly with your tracking app) then it continues to be my favorite.

I also have over 7 years of data on it and it's tool ambivalent. I used to use Nike+ back in the days of their shoepods but now use a Garmin watch with HR band. I've used my phone GPS on days when I forgot to charge my watch and I still log some treadmill runs manually just to keep a complete record of distance etc.. Smashrun is brand ambivalent so if you change technology you won't lose all of your data.

I use Nike mostly for the free training programs. Having the app on my phone that will show “incomplete “ if I’m slacking has gotten me off the couch on more than a few occasions to run runs I might have otherwise skipped.

I second Nike. I like the achievements and the laid out training plan. I use my Garmin Forerunner 735xt and upload to it.

I don't like Nike. A couple of years ago they changed their system and user agreement to make your data theirs. If you ever decide to move away from their technology you can't access your data in other tools. From somebody who used Nike+ back in the day of their pods that fit inside their shoes, but now use a Garmin, I am so glad that I exported all my data to Smashrun before they locked down my data.

Whatever happened to Runtastic Pro? I'm using it and I find it okay. A little laggy now and then but it does all the basic stuff.

It was a good app I used it a lot. But it started to annoy the shit out of me with their pushy approach to selling their “gold” membership (in pro version which already is a paid version). Switched to Garmin watch + Strava, never looked back.

Runkeeper, but every app has its strong and weak points. So I use runkeeper because of the alerts while running, but I sync with Strava for social and PR using https://tapiriik.com

Runkeeper should be burned with fire. Stays active and tracking when you aren't using it. I hate that deceptive, dishonest, privacy invading bullshit.

What about how Strava makes your runs public by default? That's pretty terrible IMO. I can't stand when apps put social networking BS first.

Really? I use my Garmin 90% of the time and have it synced to smash run. But every so often I use runkeeper if I forget my watch or don't want to bother with it after work. Any sources I can read about? Or suggestions to switch to for phone? Thanks

As an app developer I can vouch that this kind stuff happens.

I was so disgusted I pretty much disabled everything on my phone, pretended it mattered and decided to just run without keeping tabs

Smashrun seems to have the most active development and neat analytics. Strava + Stravistix plugin is fairly comprehensive.

I've been using Nike + for the past 3 years. Can I transfer my runs/data?

You'd have to transfer everything over to another service like Garmin and then pull it into smashrun. It doesn't link directly.

Thank you.

RunGap can also pull data out of Nike+, but won’t push data to it - they don’t want to contribute to Nike’s lock on your data by adding more.

Running Coach5 points · 7 months ago

This, if you're into that sort of stuff!

I've had good experiences with MapMyRun, surprised not to see it mentioned more.

I stopped using MMR because I found the ad screens really irritating.

Agreed! Even the free version gives you lots of data (splits, cals burned, audio reminders while running), highly recommend it!

Running Coach81 points · 7 months ago

Maybe someone can comment on this, but I quit using Strava on my phone because it was SO LIMITED in alert times & distances, the information it would provide, etc. I switched to Runkeeper because it's very customizable in when I receive voice notifications and what those are.

I use my gps watch for those things. My watch uploads to Strava after the fact.

Yep, RK is good only until you invest in a watch. Then you put your phone away and have your watch upload to RK for history, and Strava for everything else.

Running Coach1 point · 7 months ago

If you're using the GPS, strava may be a better option.

Runkeeper does intervals, Strava doesn't. This is main reason why Runkeeper is much better for running, as in "while you're running".

I understand. There is a bit of a difference in using an app while running and using an app or site after your run to analyze the data.

For the while running part, I use my watch (Fenix 3hr). For syncing it starts with garmin connect for me. I let that sync with strava, runkeeper and smashrun. For apps I much prefer strava over runkeeper. I think the app is much cleaner, responds faster, I like the groups (social) part.

For analyzing the data I prefer smashrun. They create really nice graphs and show things that I don't find in other apps.

I feel like runkeeper was much better before the Asics buy out. Like some training plans were free, now you have to pay for them

You can still access the free ones from the website! I was also really disappointed, but I figured it out on accident one time. Just log in on the website and click training. All the old plans are there.

Running Coach1 point · 7 months ago

Agreed!

I also use Runkeeper and love it. It’s simple, straight forward and does everything I need. Love the alerts and reviewing my map. Never tried Strava though.

Third for runkeeper. I haven't used strava, but I'm also not keen on sharing my times.

Runkeeper is fairly simple and limited, but really, I just want it to tell me my pace every five minutes. On the other hand, people seem to like the competitive/social aspect of strava. If that motivates you, it might be worth checking out.

If you're just getting started back up, download a few apps and try them. There are also ways of porting your runs between apps.

The sharing thing is my least favorite part of Strava. I use it because it's cool to have my rides and runs in one place. I like the competition aspect for cycling, but I don't always like it for running because comparing myself to others takes away from the stress relief aspect of it.

I really agree with this! The social aspect of Strava makes it more stressful to me, and running is (for me) a way to calm my mind and zone out. If anything I compete against my former self. Runkeeper is perfect for my needs.

Runkeeper vote no. 4. I like the pace monitor the best a good audio cue how fast or slow you're moving

Running Coach1 point · 7 months ago

If you're talking about on your mobile - I'd stick with Runkeeper.

I love RunKeeper. I've toyed with the idea of Strava for the community aspect, but I have concerns about displaying my running routes and typical time of day on a public platform. I don't even post routes on Facebook.

You can setup your account so that only people you approve can see your routes. And it's possible to setup a privacy zone around your house for example.

Thanks! I didn't play with it long enough to discover that. I will check it out again.

6 points · 7 months ago · edited 7 months ago

I always thought strava was for cycling.

I use runkeeper and I paid for 1 year plan for $39. Plans are ideal if you are training for a specific goal.

Shoe tracking and integration with most other apps including heart rate monitors like a polar band and health kit.

It's owned by Asics so you know its target audience is definitely runners even though it can track other sports.

Running Coach3 points · 7 months ago

No, Strava is definitely great for running as well, they sponsor a number of athletes even.

I'll have to give it another go. What I like about strava is the tracked routes and the social component abut competing with people in your area thru different segments. I didn't know there was a running community.

Running Coach2 points · 7 months ago

I actually stopped using it because I didn't want to get involved in running too hard to chase segments ;)

Strava is very focused on cycling, it was started by cyclists for cyclists and the running is more of an afterthought.

I have TomTom connect uploading my runs to both Strava and RK and to be honest they are both good in different ways. I like the social aspect of Strava but the feed is better in RK

Strava was started by cyclists but it's not focused on cycling. There's millions of runners on Strava and there's actually a ton of activities besides running and cycling that can be logged. Swims, hikes etc.

Does anyone use Endomondo anymore?

I still do! Along with many european friends

I still use them since they seem to have better support for my Pebble.

A majority of people in this subreddits seem to use Strava.

It is the best of the 2 apps I have tried (mapmyrun & Strava). I have never had issues losing data, even when my phone dies near the end of a run. I enjoy all the extra social features like flyby, segment leaderboards, and being able to follow people/clubs.

How many more years before flyby's get added to the mobile app? :/

ISmoothRun has so many more features than the apps mentioned here, and it integrates with Strava, Runkeeper, etc if you really need the social aspects of those apps.

You can customize intervals in bunches of ways (time, distance, heart rate, etc), create hydration and nutrition alarms, track shoes and other equipment. The interval trainer is outstanding. It connects to tons of sensors. Features only able with the pro version of Strava are (tracking pace in real time, for example) are free with iSmoothRun.

Seconded. It also auto integrates with Smashrun, which is dope.

Yep, the best app. And when I tested it, and a pile of others on a fairly curvey road through town it gave the best distance. I guess it takes measurements more frequently and applies less smoothing than other apps.

Apple only for those confused like me.

Garmin 235 watch so I use Garmin Connect which then syncs to Strava and Endomondo.

Strava for the social aspect.

Nothing beats a dedicated running watch with uploads to strava though.

I feel like you basically need a watch for Strava though. I was just using the Samsung health app on my phone and I liked how it alerted me at the end of every mile and told me my pace. I just started using Strava and I love the social aspect but I was bummed that it didn't tell me when I hit each mile. I have a simple wrist watch so I was able to kind of guess from that, but I now I want a Garmin. Thank goodness for tax time!

The Strava app will do this too! You just have to turn on the Audio cues. If you hit "record activity" in the app and then click on "settings" then "Audio Cues" you can set it to alert you every mile or every half mile. The alert will tell you how many miles you've run, your pace for the last mile, and your total activity time.

Thank you so much! I had no idea

No problem!

I have a Suunto watch and synced it up so that my runs get posted to Strava after the watch uploads to Movescount, Suunto's app.

I like endomondo a lot! I used to like nike also but last year, literally 30 seconds before a race, it collapsed. So i swtiched to endomondo

I used to use the Polar app but the GPS kept breaking so I switched to Nike+. I looked at a lot of the other ones but they all wanted you to either suffer ads and locked features or pay them like $50/year. Nike+ is free with no ads, so that sealed the deal. Does everything I want it to.

Zombies run! I started using it when it first cameout... like 4ish years ago, I think!

Absolutely makes running fun, incorporates sprints and HIIT, training plans AND like a game, it rewards you by giving you virtual items that you use to enforce your base.

If you enjoy being distracted while running, please get this game!!

I used Zombies run a few times and was so motivated by being chased by zombies that I pulled a muscle. Too convincing!

I like Nike's app a lot.

My favourite one:

Little out of scope for an Android discussion, but iSmoothRun will also push data into Nike+, SmashRun, Strava, and a stack of other trackers, so it’s very easy to use ISR during a run (and it does a great job of tracking all the info you’d expect when using an AppleWatch vs dedicated running hardware, and can be used phone-free) and still get the analytics, social components, achievements, etc, from other tools.

How is it on data? I’ve a very limited data cap so would be interested in this if it’s not too data heavy

I have used it without data. I assume that it uses the internal GPS. More importantly, no monthly payments.

Thank you!

This is the only one I’ve found that lets you do intervals with target paces and tells you to speed up or slow down.

Strava

Guess I'm the only one who uses Samsung Health... I've tried them all so far but the amount of data and functionality SH provides absolutely FREE with zero ads simply can't be beat. It also has free workout plans and I'm finally well on my way to 10k. It sounds like its almost unknown on this sub but more people should check it out https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.sec.android.app.shealth

I've used many apps and I think that Runmeter is the best. It has great customizable voice alerts, does Apple Watch really well, and exports to pretty much everything...(yes including Strava so you can get your stats or crowns or whatever they do.)

If someone is running with their iphone and has tried Runmeter and has switched to something else I'd love to hear about it.

Edit: I'm an idiot and missed the bit about Android..sorry..nothing to see here... Move along.

Lol. Runmeter is great though, only app I’ve ever paid for the pro version. Moving from it on iPhone to the much more basic Strava on Android was jarring. Only issue for me is automatic stop detection never works, but I’ve still never found a better app.

1. Strava is fun if you like to push yourself. I am still bitter about cheaters but that is whatever.

2. MapMyRun is a great app. Love the social aspect and has coaching and works with smart watches.

3. Couch to 5k is also great I did that to start training for my marathon. My wife is currently doing it and loving the workout

So do people hate the Fitbit app?

I like Strava for the social aspect: follows, kudos, workouts together, challenges. I also like it in general but if you're looking for a running social network, that's it.

Strava because it's the only functional option that also works as a running social media platform. I can compete against other people's segments, view other people's results from races, join clubs and give kudos and comments, upload pictures, etc.

I use runkeeper

For someone new to running I just had the impression most people used endomondo for everything.. What's up with endomondo not getting a single mention here?

Before they were purchased by Under Armour they were really popular in Europe (although much less so in the US). After the purchase development basically ground to a halt and almost all of the original team is now gone. Strava and Runkeeper have advanced pretty far past them at this point. One thing Endomondo still does great is support a huge variety of actives beyond just running and cycling.

I'm living in Europe which might explain why I'm seeing it as the more popular choice. As I'm new to running my requirements for an app are pretty basic so I dont' have any problems with that app - just yet.

I noticed that too. I've been using Endomondo for years and love it. It keeps track of separate activities (there are a few dozen different sports, but I mostly use it for running, hiking, walking). You can see your stats by time, activity, pace, elevation, mileage, and there is an app or my Android smartwatch. It's an amazing program.

The only thing I can't comment on is the social aspect of the app. I've been using it since 2011, and I see that UnderArmour has since bought them out and added a paid premium feature, but I haven't tried this out. I'm only using the free version which is still loaded with features.

I use Strava today. I used Nike+ for a long time. Nike was very flakey so I stopped using it. Then I had to do a lot of manual stuff to get my data, so I won’t go back to them. Strava is flakey at times as well, but it’s been reliable enough

For tracking/GPS I use my Garmin but will sync everything with Strava.

iSmoothRun. Let’s you do everything a $300 Garmon watch does for like $5.

I use Runalyze.

I have to say I like Endomondo the best! It syncs well with my HRM and can be used for a wide array of exercises.

I'm using Runkeeper right now. I wish there were more options on iOS-- not a big fan of the whole 'social/sharing' aspect built into these apps.

I use Strava for social and training peaks for workout planning with my coach. Garmin connect is in the mix for uploading workouts.

I have tried many others mentioned here, but I always come back to the one and original Sports Tracker. Beware, they don't offer an easy way to export your gpx data, so you'll going to have to go through some trouble if you want to have them stored somewhere else too.

Strava is my go to!

1 point · 7 months ago

I've must have tried just about every one out there and my favourite is Runkeeper. Basic functionality (i.e. free) is great, but you can pay for extra data on your runs if you wish (like data analysis and comparison for runs over 30 days old).

Not mentioned in this thread is RunGo. I use Runkeeper for 99% of my runs, but RunGo is great if you are running in an unknown area and want to build a route. What I like about it, and couldn't find in other apps, is that it gives you turn by turn directions. I find this highly valuable if I am running in a new city.

It seems like everyone is using Strava. I use Google Fit and I haven't seen it mentioned once on this sub.

I’ve been happy with RunKeeper. I use an iPhone. I didn’t really get into Strava as it was a bit glitchy for me.

MapMyRun

Strava because it's apparently the one and only app acceptable for tracking workouts

TomTom Spark watch for actually recording the workouts

I am getting back into running after a bit of a pause. I was using micoach which was swallowed by runtastic. I have the pro version apparently and I have been using the 10k plan. It is helping me get back into it. Good coaching and accurate gps. Schedule the plan into my calendar and I am able to control my music through the player using play music. I am looking into a gps watch just to sync with it for wrist control and visual reference but this is doing the trick at the moment. Social sharing is cool too since I am following my sister and we are sharing each other on. Thumbs up!

Strava is de-facto standard and there can hardly be any argument about it. I've joined it after spending some time on this sub and seeing everyone use it. I'm having a lot of fun with it, too! It helped me discover some nice running routes around the place I live.

However it must be noted that Strava's strength is the social aspect. Advanced analysis is behind a paywall and apparently tracker features are limited even for premium accounts - I don't know as I use a Garmin watch.

I also use MapMyRun as I've been using it for a while and you can't really migrate all of your history and shoe usage from there. Back when I started recording tracks of my running I liked the app for voice feedback - I could set up an interval workout for instance and it would voice alert me when to start running fast and if I'm in the zone. At the time it was the only app I checked that could do that without premium subscription.

Now I sync everything from Garmin to both MMR and Strava. It's OK I guess.

For most fun: Zombies, run!

Google fit looks nice

I use a TomTom watch which syncs with a number of apps (I do it after my run).

I like the Strava phone app; it presents the data I want, and it lets me interact with running friends, and I can upload pictures.

The Endomondo app is OK. It gives me a "Premium" offer every time I open the app, which is annoying.

When it comes to the websites though, I prefer Endomondo. Strava shows distance on my shoes, which is cool, but Endomondo gives me better per week/month/year stats. Strava's elevation numbers are more useful though.

Map My run works great for me. I have the paid version because of the coaching and I really love it.

Probably too late to the party, but if you use Garmin, you can have it dump your info to Strava and Nike + which is what I do. Oh, and the Garmin Connect app is not that bad either.

Comment deleted7 months ago

The vast majority of people that use Strava use it with a GPS watch. A watch will always do all the things you mentioned better. As soon as I finish my run/ride/swim/triathlon/whatever it syncs to Strava, that is how people use Strava, not during their activities.

1 point · 7 months ago

Is there an Apple Watch app that tracks your route? For example Nike Run if I initiate it on my phone I can see a map of where I went, but if I initiate via my watch it only gives time splits and elevation. The point of using my watch is so that I don’t have to take out my phone while running..

Comment deleted7 months ago
1 point · 7 months ago

I have series 1 and Keep my phone on me just don’t want to be taking it out to initiate

ismoothrun, for iOS only

Runmeter- I’ve used it for years and love it. I’m surprised it never gets mentioned in these polls

This is a bit off topic and more of a question....

What apps are good for trail hiking/running?

Take a look at viewranger.
It looks like that could be useful.

Runners welcome.

r/running Rules
Rule #1 - Not Following Reddiquette/Posting Proc.
Rule #2 - Low Effort / Low Quality / Repost
Rule #3 - No Spam
Rule #4 - No Elite Results in Titles
Rule #5 - Please make your title descriptive
Rule #6 - No Personal Information of Others
Rule #7 - Do not solicit or offer medical advice
Rule #8 - No Photos, Personal Videos, or Memes
Rule #9 - The 'TMI' Rule - Bodily Functions
A Suggestion on Questions!

In an effort to limit repetitive content, the moderation team recommends that users wishing to ask questions do so in our Daily Q&A post or Moronic Monday thread. This includes any question that could easily be answered with Yes and No responses.