Archived

Mid-week check in - how is your week going?

We're half way through the week so let's have an update. How is the training going?

-3ºF and icy as hell right now and although I have a treadmill I hate using it.
So not so great.

In other news, Spring is only 63 days away!

Down with the treadmill!

I think I may have slightly over-extended myself last week. I tried to do my regular training, PLUS fit in a bunch of cross-country skiing, and in the end I think it was too much. I'm taking it easy this week. Just a little bit less and a little bit slower until I feel better. My legs are already feeling less tired.

The SAD is hitting me hard right now. One effect of SAD is that it makes it hard to listen to my body in terms of whether I'm getting too tired or whatever, because SAD always makes me feel like the best thing to do is lie down and have a nap. So I can tell I did a lot last week because my legs hurt, but I can't really judge energy levels because it's like the scale is just completely out of whack.

SAD can be brutal. Can't really offer advice, but hoping it will be less of an asshole soon. I'm finally starting to see glimpses of daylight again when I'm leaving work and I'm really noticing that it helps.

Thanks! I find leaving work in daylight makes a big difference too.

I've been taking a 5000 IU Vitamin D3 supplement this winter, not sure how much it's actually been helping but I haven't felt abnormally tired compared to summer.

I'm just keeping an eye on the moving sunset times, we finally made it back to a 5:00 PM sunset where I'm at today!

5000 IU, wow! They only sell them up to about 800 in my local stores. Is 5000 available where you live or did you have to get a prescription or something? (I do often double up on the 800s)

I just checked--5:01 sunset today! Too bad I have to work until 6 today :(

Amazon, here's what I actually got. I have absolutely no idea if it is sold in DE (you're in Germany, right?) I don't actually care about the organic certification all that much, but it was the most economical choice.

As for the actual dosage, there was some research posted on /r/fitness a little while back saying that the recommend dosages for Vitamin D may have been way under. The source seemed to not be total BS, so I figured I'd give it a higher does supplement a try for the winter at least. I was having some serious problems with not being able to wake up well and feeling incredibly tired no matter how much I actually slept, and I've definitely had an improvement in that realm. It may be placebo, but if it works, whatever.

Oh cool, thanks, I searched and found one of that dosage on amazon.de as well. My Scandinavian inlaws have a 2000 IU one from their local drugstore. I guess I'll go do some reading about dosage!

I think the content that was posted in /r/fitness was around early December? It included, if I remember correctly, a chart comparing actual Vitamin D availability (or something along that line) in the body vs. supplement amount?

I have thought about supplementing it in the winter before and that just convinced me to try it out. I'm not exactly in the arctic circle, but we get down to 8 or so hours of sun at a pretty shallow angle, so I'm definitely producing much less naturally than in the summer.

I have been supplementing for years, just not at a high dose. I used to get colds all the time in the winter, about once a month. That stopped once I started taking vit D. I only really take it from about Oct to March. I'm in the sun lots the rest of the year. If you get sick a lot, you definitely should look into it.

Agree. It is so depressing when it is dark in the morning when leaving for work, and already dark again in the afternoon when getting out of the office.

PLUS fit in a bunch of cross-country skiing

I was literally just watching biathalon the other day. Now, in my head, you're training for that.

Hope you can figure out the SAD. Do those special lamps help?

I'm sure I would be terrible at biathlon, but I do like the idea of it; it sounds all cool and hardcore. Skiing around with a gun on my back.

I just got an amazing idea: water biathlon. You waterski past a bunch of targets and have to shoot them with a water gun on the way by.

So SAD, yes, the lamp helps. I have a whole bunch of things I've found that help:

• The sun, obvs. Hard to find in fog-land here.

• The lamp thingy.

• Doing some kind of exercise. A very brisk walk to the train seems to help as well, so it's ideal if I leave slightly late and have to rush.

• Singing along loudly with catchy songs.

• If I avoid the couch entirely and just keep moving after I get home from work. Like clean the house or something.

I know all those things help, but they all take SO MUCH EFFORT (except running which for some reason I have zero issues with). I'm always amazed when spring comes and suddenly life is super easy again. SAD feels like "everything is hard and why bother" mixed with "my chest somehow feels empty and heavy at the same time."

How does that compare to regular depression? (Unsure if there's such a thing as "regular depression", but you know what I mean, a not-SAD version of depression)

The 24/7/365 depression isn't too far off from that. And there will always be varying levels of it. But even at its easiest for me, there was always a really strong desire to not exist anymore. Intrusive thoughts of dying come and go or come and stay too long and sometimes you can't shake it. Every task becomes laborious -- getting out of bed, brushing your teeth, taking a shower, etc. So by the time you conquer those things and have everything under control, it's already 11pm. So you waste a day, and then your sleep gets messed up, and then you fall deeper into the pit. It's a lot less "lethargic" and more "how come my brain is trying to sabotage everything good in my life?"

That being said, I'm on an antidepressant, and that stuff doesn't happen while I'm on it. I hope this is enough to compare it to SAD.

Thanks for the insight. I guess with SAD I end up with an attitude of "I just have to get through this" because I know it will be gone come spring, and that probably makes it much easier to handle than everyday depression.

I'm glad your antidepressant helps. That sounds really hard.

That's still a hard thing to overcome, and when it seeps into your motivation for other things (I saw you said running isn't affected), it can just snowball into wasting so much time doing nothing. That's good that you can keep your head straight for it and see past the winter months when things ease up.

Thanks for the encouragement :)

Yes! But also with another category with those water jetpacks!

I fully approve of singing loudly! I will share with you from across the ocean! Also, that sounds like a great excuse to procrastinate and I'm very jealous. Doctor's orders!

That state of mind sounds like me. Just a general, baseline despair and sense of nothing matters and zero joy. But you're right, we do what we can to manage and move through. It may not be a cure, but it helps to manage symptoms (or sometimes in my case, just distract from them).

I'm always here if you need to chat!

I'm always here if you need to chat!

Thanks! Consider the offer mutual. Or bidirectional or whatever the correct word is. Mainly all I want to do is moan everything is so hard. What I find hard is when something happens where I'm expected to provide an explanation, and the explanation is basically "because SAD" but I can't bring myself to really explain it. Like "why did you leave swim practice halfway through?" and the real answer is "because I had to force myself to get to the pool, and then force myself to get changed, and then I stood on deck looking at the water for a good long while before I managed to force myself to get in, and halfway through I ran out of "force"" and I feel like, I don't know, I should be able to conjure more force?

Thank you, the offer is much appreciated.

One of the things I've worked on in therapy is just riding the waves of my emotions. We can't control them, and they don't inherently make us bad people, they just are what they are. At least for me, trying to change them is just a waste of energy, so I spend a lot of time managing.

That sounds like a very healthy attitude.

That skiing did look fun though. Only ever done it once, as a kid, and it was fun but hard work. Would that I lived somewhere where it was an option!

I'm not very good at it, but it was sunny out, so it was nice to be outside doing something :)

Lunatic Robot2 points · 7 months ago

Do you have one of those lights you sit in front of to help with SAD? I was wondering if those were helpful at all.

Yes, I have one. I feel like it definitely helps!

Don't be sad, you get to run Boston!! Dontake care of yourself however. I agree that xc skiing is crazy difficult.

The cross-country skiing weekend was a club event. A couple of guys were there who have run Boston before, and they went absolutely mental when they found out I was doing it. They are way, way more excited about it than I am. I mean I'm looking forward to it and everything, but they were like bouncing-off-the-walls excited. It must be a really amazing race.

Sending you a thumbs up and reminding you that you are still faster than me on the off chance that will make you feel a tiny bit better. Clearly this won't help but also remember the days are getting longer so this time will pass.

Thanks Richie! Being faster than you is actually my main motivation for running.

Less than a month until I leave work before the sun sets!

I'm glad that in some way my lack of ability makes the world a better place

Comment deleted7 months ago

You got this! I just ran my first marathon this past Sunday and I'm still riding on the high.

Comment deleted7 months ago

My main goal was definitely to just finish, but I was targeting around 5 hours and I ran 5:07. I stayed around a 11 minute/mile pace for the first 13, but then I had to slow down. Had enough energy left to sprint across the finish line though! Strava link

Good luck!!!

Any tips on giving up alcohol?? Major kudos for doing that.

Original Poster2 points · 7 months ago

I'm booze free now. Can I interest you in a corneal abrasion?

Wow how can I lose with such a proposition?

Original Poster2 points · 7 months ago

No pain no gain!

How did your training go?

Comment deleted7 months ago

Awesome, best of luck! I look forward to reading a race report if you write one up!

It's my runniversary! I started running one year ago yesterday. I remember that first one (C25K) being incredibly hard ... on Monday I ran 5 easy miles, training for my first half in May! Good stuff.

happy runniversary!

15 points · 7 months ago · edited 7 months ago

This week has been going ok. I run early mornings and the weather on the east has been inconsistent except on Sunday.

• Sunday: 19 miler - went great.

• Tuesday: Morning was 15F so ran in the evening and the 5 miler went great!

• Wednesday: As of 7:10am I’m staring at a winter mix and had a 8 miler planned. Hope to get out this evening to run.

On Saturday, I did a 10k, my longest distance in over a year, and I was dead last. There was a HUGE gap between me and the second-to-last runner. I was exhausted and couldn't keep my pace even. My insteps hurt, my knees hurt, my sides hurt.

But everyone was so so so nice!!! Whenever the route looped around and the other runners could see me trudging along in dead-last place, with a look on my face best described as "I've made a huge mistake" and a running form best described as "must have shit my pants and gotten my period simultaneously because I'm holding back a PB&J wave", there would be a huge group of runners cheering me on, flashing me a thumbs-up, or just giving me an encouraging smile.

It was wonderful. Every time it happened, I was able to straighten up, improve my form a little, and keep going. I love all you guys.

Finished in 1:24 and change, by the way. Not too bad. I'm proud, and I'm gonna keep going.

Congrats on getting done!

Congrats on finishing! :)

That was very inspiring to read. Congrats!

Going well so far! Easy 5 on Monday, then went to track last night at my soon-to-be second claim club.

Session was 3 x (4 x 400) - I led the fast group for the first two sets, then was passed by one runner for the final set. Coach called me over at the end, asked me to join the track team for the summer and offered me some extra training sessions. Not bad for an evening's work!

That's awesome!

Thanks!

Great job!

Thanks!

Sweet! Being part of an active club is the best.

Yes! Although they're being kind of pushy this morning and want me to join as first claim.

The coach also offered/threatened to get me down to a 17:00 5k which just sounds impossible to me right now!

Whoo, take him up on that! What is first claim?

The rules are kind of complicated, but it's to do with how you join more than one club.

I'm a member of a club in London, at the moment it's my only club so by default it's my first claim. I need to join club B to race track for them, but I can do that as a second-claim (because my first-claim club don't compete in track, and I'd need to do some paperwork to declare that).

However, both clubs compete in XC, so I'd be competing for one of my clubs against the other one. The only real difference there is who I'm racing for and who gets my points. It also means for road races etc, I'd be racing in yellow (club B) rather than red. Oh, and that I'd be missing out on our summer league races.

I'm torn about the whole thing because I've made some very good friends at my club, but I'm not exactly local any more and in a way it makes sense to switch things around.

Sorry, that was probably more of an answer than you were expecting!

Nah it makes sense. It's great that clubs are.that big of a thing in GB. Most clubs here in 'Murica are just people who get together for weekly runs and organize 1+ races per year. There are precious few races post college with any sort of team scoring system.

Really? I'd assumed you'd have a similar sort of scene to here, but I guess not.

Just moved a group up in my running society, after a mere year of running. Yesterday we did intervals, been a while since I was the slowest in a crowd and felt like I had to throw up after the training. I fucking love it.

Congrats on moving up a group. Sounds like the new challenge is exactly what you need :)

Good effort! It's been ages since I've been in a fit state to run that hard and I miss it!

I love intervals! Glad you had a good time and congrats on moving up a group!

Pretty rough start to my week. Had a rest week last week which my longest run was an easy 4 miles but I felt like I could go for 20. My first run this week was only 3 miles and it was terribly hard for some reason. I felt like I had never run before. I had a friend in town last week so my eating and drinking wasn't the best, I'm hoping that was the issue and tomorrow will be better.

Everyone has unexplained bad days now and then. Hopefully it's just that, and you'll be back to normal soon.

Good! Couple of solid easy runs under the belt, and now a couple of days off before running to and from parkrun to turn it into a long run. A solid but unspectacular consolidation week.

It would probably be really good if every week could be described as "Solid but unspectacular" (well, I guess an occasional "spectacular" wouldn't be unwelcome!)

Haha, that's certainly been my motto for the last 6 months. 2 more months of base building and I can consider something a little more spectacular.

Haven't ran in a week. I brought my gear to work so I could run the treadmill, ugh.
I am participating in the r/ARTC plank challenge for the month. I have done most days and I can hold a plank way longer than before. Jan1st I was able to hold 1minute 1 sec. Now I can do two minutes.

Lunatic Robot2 points · 7 months ago

Planks are hate/love.

Yeah, the plank challenge has really, really helped me, even though I both love an hate them.

I'm really hoping they do a squat month!

Maybe you can suggest that to ARTC. I would hate squats more than planks. Squats hurt my knees. My keens are good, but lots of squatting makes them hurt (when I do exercise).

Me too, but I'd certainly like to work on my butt! I think I'd like to add some baseline planking in going forward as well anyway, so just keep slowly adding.

I don't know if I've ever posted in ARTC, just lurk!

Careful what you wish for haha, I started incorporating squats twice a week into my workout on january 1, and it's been absolutely brutal. I constantly feel like I'm running on tired legs and my times have taken a fairly large hit.

3 weeks in and I only juuust feel like I'm turning the corner and starting to get used to it/feel more normal.

Hopefully over the next few weeks I'll actually start to see some improvement rather than pain and going backwards.

I was like that with the planks, but I've been warned!

Not great, I think my PF is flaring up again. I get niggles in both feet. The heel region in my left foot and further up on my right one. Hopefully a few days rest will help sooth things down.

Unfortunately, I can be rather stupid so I will probably go for a short run later this evening and make matters worse.

Monday’s intervals sucked and it was way too cold last night to run but I got some great lifting sessions in and tonight is a group run and my yaktraks arrived. Plus it’s about 20 degrees warmer so I’ll survive the frigid outdoors and hopefully not fall flat on my face

Right on pace. Motivation is high, the body feels good coming off a 70 mile Super Week, I'm excited to dive into my marathon plan starting next week. This week I'm just doing a final bit of base building, getting used to the longer single runs as opposed to the short doubles I've been doing a lot of lately. Can't wait to set some new PRs this year.

Wow, sounds like things are going awesomely!

So far so good! We'll see how it goes once I have to start doing LT and strides outside in the snow and freezing cold.

I have missed a large number of strides because the snowy/icy streets were unstrideable. Luckily, if you can find a 100m stretch, you're good to go back and forth. LT is a bit more difficult... I resorted to the treadmill for that while I was in Canada. Cost me $11. Worth it.

Going well! 2/4 runs that are scheduled for the week so far for a total of 11,5 km. Number 3 tonight (5km) and number 4 Saturday morning (11.2km) , so all's well.

Didn't let rain and hailstones stop me from running at the pace I should on Monday and Tuesday. Still hoping that tonight and Saturday will at least be dry and not slippery. Hailstones hurt like crazy when running.

I am seriously impressed by this!

My reasoning: I'm going to run a half marathon. I'm not naive enough to think that there won't be discomfort whilst running 21,1km. How will I ever deal with that if I will let rain or hailstones stop me from a 5 and 6,5km run? Hell, the race is in March, but knowing this country we can get anything from 25C to snow. Might as well prepare for the worst.

That's an excellent attitude for dealing with tough conditions!

Pretty good. Ended up out of town for work again so it was dreadmill time. However, 2 10Ks in and I'm looking good and feeling good on my mileage climb.

Lunatic Robot6 points · 7 months ago

I'm pretty tired. I pushed my long run usually on Sat to Sun because of the flooding in my area. So I didn't have my usual rest day on Mon and won't get one until Friday. I've got to get through 2 more runs and we are currently in the middle of a snow blitz. Joy!

On a plus note it hasn't been as cold where my lashes were freezing together.

On a plus note it hasn't been as cold where my lashes were freezing together.

Being able to see is definitely a bonus! :)

It is all fun and games until the frozen eyelashes melt. Did the flooding cause any damage?

Lunatic Robot1 point · 7 months ago

No damage for my building. It came up to the sidewalk that goes around my complex but stopped. I haven't heard of any complaints from the people who live on the ground floor either so it is all good.

Good! Kilos are slowly dropping and happy to be feeling a little less slob like. Halfway to weekly goal of 20k of volume. Cross training on the bike is definitely helping me get back fitness quicker. Been loving foam rolling this week!

I'm working on building a base of 4 runs, 3 cross training sessions a week (easy or power yoga) before starting more serious HM training in February. So far it's going well! Hoping to add a tempo run next week!

The only annoyance is the bottom of my left foot acts up a little from a bone bruise I got 2 years ago. Barefoot running was a bad choice for me :/

Were you running on pavement or on soft surfaces? Just out of curiosity.

I saw a guy barefoot-running in my neighbourhood one day. It was below freezing out, though there was no snow. He was dressed in full normal running gear, except barefoot, running on the road. I thought that can't be too pleasant. Nice dirt paths, when it's warm out.... then I might be convinced to try it ;)

Road and trail. I had those glove shoes but they don't do too much if your feet aren't used to going shoeless. I'm an injury-prone clutz, though, so you may have more luck!

I do sometimes run my cooldown barefoot after a track workout, but that's on the grass infield and it's also slow and short. And I only do it when it's warm enough! I probably won't do any more barefoot running than that though.... except running through the swim-to-bike triathlon transition now and then ;)

Original Poster2 points · 7 months ago

Soft grass in the summer sounds alright. With a picnic.

After a few years of training by myself, I finally joined a club. It’s a triathlon club and we had our first track workout of the year. Loved it! I probably wouldn’t be able to make myself do those types of high intensity workouts on my own. Excited to see them ramp up as the season progresses. Also new friends are always appreciated

I just started running this week... my brother who has run several marathons keeps talking smack so I am putting and end to it this year lol...

I am planning for a half marathon in may and then a full end of October..

I ran 3K Monday night then I did did 5K in about 27 min last night...

my goal is to finish the half in under 2 hours...

Nice, I am running my first half in May and I just hit my target pace over 5k, you are already a decent amount under yours!

It’s going! Did 5 miles yesterday, planning on 5-6 miles today, and then planning on 4-5 miles tomorrow. I’m actually in town this weekend so I’m aiming to get a long run in Saturday and a short run on my tired legs Sunday.

I had hoped for an 18 mile long run last week but woke up day of feeling awful and only ran 13 (it wasn’t so long ago that getting in 13 miles would be the highlight of my week), so I’m hoping to hit 18 miles this weekend.

On a non running related note, I’ve got a work presentation tomorrow and am stuck formatting slides. I do like my work but I hate formatting slides.

Great, I slept amazing last night and my two runs this week have been easy. Looking at another 40 mile week, maybe I'll go up to 45 next week

Lunatic Robot2 points · 7 months ago

Sleep and good runs are great!

I'm starting to get my wind back after taking entirely too much time off from running while starting my new job and moving. I'm just happy my propensity for shin splints hasn't reared it's head as of yet.

Week 3 of my HM plan though, at... 37 miles this week, and I have to squeeze in today's 9 mile run once I get home from The Killers concert. Not the first post-concert run I will have done, I'm just glad I'm DD'ing so I don't have to deal with a sloshy drunk stomach.

Training for my first half marathon on Feb 3rd. I had a 9 mile run this last Sunday and it was rough. I was up too late Friday night, which torpedoed my Saturday, so I don't think I was adequately rested or fueled for Sunday's run. Combined with a hilly, windy route, and I was just dying. So I've decided no more social engagements or drinking from now until the half. Hopefully my last two long runs aren't such a disaster.

Before every half marathon I do, my final long run in my plan always ends up being just the worst run ever. I get tired way earlier than usual, I get weird cramps I never get, no matter which way I am somehow always running into the wind. But, come race day, I feel like a machine and plow through those miles like that crappy run never happened. I don't know if there is any prevailing wisdom, but know that you are not alone, haha! And good luck on your race!

Thank you so much! I guess crappy runs are just part of the process. I think I need to trust my training and not allow myself to be discouraged.

I have a new training plan in place that calls for rest on Monday and cycling on Tuesday. So by the time we get to the mid week check in thread, I have nothing to contribute. But my time on the bike last night was great, so there's that.

I will just live vicariously through all of you until my run this afternoon :)

I had the most amazing run last night!

I set out on hoping to do 5k easy... ended up doing 10k, crushed my current PR 5k and 10k without actually making an attempt to (that is, since picking up running again last May after 4 years of sedentary depressed life and gaining 50lbs.... almost all lost now). I felt amazing the whole time, and could have gone longer (but it was chilly below zero, and I know better than to push the mileage too fast).

it FINALLY feels like a pleasure to go run again!

Still on track with my running plan.

Noticed a dull pain in my right lower quad. I keep trying to stretch it out, it's been there a few days.
I can run with it, and do other stuff. Not sure if it's still the new shoes causing it, or I just stepped weird. I'd like it to away though.

I have a little roller. Maybe I need to buy a large foam roller for this bad boy.

Try switching shoes. I had quad pain from a certain shoe at one point.

These are new shoes, so in theory they should be good.

But I can try a run or two in my older shoes and see if the pain goes away

It's worth a shot

Half way through week 2 of Higdon's advanced 10K plan. I hurt. Trying to be diligent about strength work in addition to the runs.

This morning was 7x400 with a warm up. Felt much better than yesterday's tempo run.

Eww back to back workouts are the worst. Good for you getting it done.

I like the snow, but I'm down right sick of my campus gym being closed. I don't want to pay $40/month to circumvent the problem. It's irritating. So now I'll be running today's run tomorrow. Bleh.

Still getting out there with the warmer weather. Really enjoying it. BJJ started up again so now I do some runs early in the morning and others in the evening after work.

My biggest concern right now is getting enough sleep. Rest is important people!

Snow has been hitting at the afternoon rush the last two days, so haven't been able to run due to fear of drivers. Thinking of doubling up my mileage today to make up for it. Not the best solution, but it will work to get everything in, and will help me put off more shoveling (just some clean up work).

Going to be in the 50's this weekend, so goodbye sinuses!

Going to be in the 50's this weekend, so goodbye sinuses!

Are you allergic to the 50's??? :D

These sudden swings have been wreaking havoc on them. :(

That sucks. Is there anything that helps, like a nasal spray or something?

Some OTC stuff will help, usually I just suffer through, it's only a few days (each time). It's mostly the drainage that hurts my throat and stomach that are the worst.

the drainage

eeewwwww.

Well I hope it's not too bad this time around!

Doing a 'at least a mile-a-day no excuses' this year and running feels better than ever. Just working my runs up gradually (just completed a 5 miler for my long run this week) but one of my favourite runs has been the mile that I forced myself to get up and do yesterday. It was just a perfect temperature, no cars on the route, legs felt good and nearly broke a PR from a few years back without even thinking about it.

Ohh nice! Just seeing the sunrise is so rewarding some days. It sounds like you need to all oit race a mile one of these days 😁

3 weeks into an 18-week marathon training plan. Getting all the runs in but can't say I'm having much fun yet. The cold and snow are really making it a grind. But, I see high 30s/low 40s in this weekend's forecast! That's gonna feel downright tropical.

Recently joined this running sub. Big fan of the content. Pretty decent week so far. Ran two 5 mile runs sub 43 minutes and bashed out 3 miles in under 21 this evening. Resting for 2 days until long Saturday. 45 miles so far this year 🏃‍♂️

Giving my legs a well deserved rest after the brutal half marathon of last sunday. My muscles stopped aching so i'm going for an easy run tomorrow!

Constant snow/mostly ice on the streets still in my parts, so no runs for at least a week. It's supposed to warm up past freezing the next could days so lets hope for ice melting! A few strength days in the basement is all I've gotten for the last few days.

Here's hoping for some runs this weekend!

This week has been great! Somehow the dreadmill isnt boring me to tears and I knocked out my first workout of the new year as well as my first session of picking up and putting down heavy pieces of iron! I am officially out of base phase and training for a marathon. The best part of all is that my hamstring hasn't niggled.

Woohoo! That's great news!

My ankle only looks like it has a baseball inside of it so that's pretty good I guess.

4 points · 7 months ago · edited 7 months ago

Been sick with a bad cough and congestion. Hopefully I can recover soon and get back on training schedule.

usual dreadmill session last night: 45 minutes, set to 4.5 mph, random/hills incline to avoid boredom. better than nothing.

I used to smoke tobacco every now and then, made the decision to quit once and for all.

Going back to a regular athletic regime!

About 10km run this week, still pretty slow and sore, but feeling way better than a week ago!

10k on Monday, 6k on Tuesday in the snow. Probably 8k hills tonight. Working towards a marathon at 5:15/k pace.

Badly. I'm in Mumbai for work, and it's way to crowded / smoggy to run.

Also, I'm shitting my brains out twice a day.

pepto

I'm just working on runner's knee rehab all week. After 4 days of stretches and strengthening, I can definitively say two things

1. ow

2. man my hips and glutes are way too weak

Great. Did my long run but pushed it too hard so I'm sore. I really gotta learn to run at an easy pace but every time I go out I end up going fast. Also first week with the new GPS watch and my buddy chewed up the charging cable so it died on my short run yesterday, but I got a new charger in the mail and it's full now. All in all it's a great week so far ... except for snow.

Haven't done any running since last Thursday due to a nerve in my back. I've kept up cardio doing other exercises like swimming. I wanted to try running tomorrow to see how it goes but the weather continues sucking. So I guess I'll be safe and have one more day of healing. I run 7 days a week and was about to hit 90 miles a week until that injury. I just need to remember patience.

Really good! Finished my first 5k in basically arctic weather, and have stuck to my program flawlessly (for once). Currently debating signing up for a half marathon too!

Surfaces have been better the last few days, which makes running feel easier. We still have plow piles blocking the sidewalks all over, but most of the roads have that nice hard-frozen slush layer that lets my trail shoes dig in. I'm hoping to kick up the mileage again soon.

My OT sister cleared me for regular runs! I strained my hamstring in December. Only 10mpw for now though... If only I could increase distance 20% a week safely!

Last week I pulled a muscle in my right shoulder to the extent that I couldn't stand up straight or lie down or turn my head in either direction (doing what? Fuck if I know, getting old blows) and missed my first day of running for January, opting instead to sit in a hot tub at 5 AM and drink bourbon and feel sorry for myself. Nice sunrise, though.

ANYWAY, I suffered through a mile the next day and a couple miles the day after that, and so far this week it seems like 3-4 miles is my limit before my shoulder devolves into an angry knot of muscle and pain. So, yeah, that's how my week's going.

Tomorrow morning I will have a bunch of time to run trails (after a thing at my daughter's school that ends at 8 AM, I don't have to teach until 2 PM) and I think I will probably do it just out of stubbornness and principle, plus I can't do the bourbon + hot tub thing the morning before teaching a 7 hour lab class.

My last two runs have been faster and I don't know why. I run within a heart rate zone, so something has changed with either me or my HRM.

I'm just easing back into running after nearly two years off due to plantar fasciitis, and it's nice to be back. Although this time around I'm going to keep it very light 3-4 days of slow/moderate jogging for general health rather than getting back into the Running and race scene. I'm happy with all those race and training memories, but not so much with the injuries that resulted from high mileage weeks.

Going very nicely, thanks!

It's week 3 of my Hal Higdon Intermediate 10k training plan, which is a modest step up from my usual weekly load, and everything going well. 4-mile, 40-minute tempo run, and 3-mile run so far this week have all felt good.

Started running again for first time in years couple of weeks ago.

Yesterday I ran 3.5 miles and felt awesome. A bit sore this morning but nothing crazy.

I’m hoping to work myself up into 10K shape sometime in first half of this year.

This consistent snow and ice is hurting my training for a PR in a half marathon, but im still feeling like i will hit my goal pace because im egotistical.

This week im demonstrating to myself that i can run fast if i want to, which is not very often.

Im also always hungry, forever craving peanut butter and bagels. The runger is real!

Only managed about 2 miles in the last week. It’s hard to get the runs in when you’re on a ship and the weather is terrible. Gave up on the treadmill after nearly falling off it. Hopefully will be able to get back into training tomorrow.

My week sucks! Still have achilles tendinitis or whatever it's called and am forced to use the elliptical. Will I ever be able to run again?

Running wise things are good. Had a great long run on Sunday afternoon. Unfortunately made some poor food choices this week but I'm going to shake that off and get back to work

Lost my water bottle on my Long run yesterday and had to do an extra 3miles to find it.

Thanks to the massive storm yesterday (by european standards) I promised my fiancee to not go on trails this week. Better wait a little for all the damaged trees and branches to Fall/get cleaned up

Runners welcome.

r/running Rules
Rule #1 - Not Following Reddiquette/Posting Proc.
Rule #2 - Low Effort / Low Quality / Repost
Rule #3 - No Spam
Rule #4 - No Elite Results in Titles
Rule #5 - Please make your title descriptive
Rule #6 - No Personal Information of Others
Rule #7 - Do not solicit or offer medical advice
Rule #8 - No Photos, Personal Videos, or Memes
Rule #9 - The 'TMI' Rule - Bodily Functions
A Suggestion on Questions!

In an effort to limit repetitive content, the moderation team recommends that users wishing to ask questions do so in our Daily Q&A post or Moronic Monday thread. This includes any question that could easily be answered with Yes and No responses.