Smash Burger Kind of Night.

I appreciate someone making a decent looking burger as opposed to these people making the foot tall ones no one can eat. Props to lettuce on the bottom bun, pro move.

The basic burger is making a welcomed comeback.

100% agree. Burger spots are everywhere now specialising in burger monstrosities which I used to love, but recently I find myself just going to my local takeout place for a regular old basic burger.

Also plenty of burger places trying to emulate the smash burger right now.

9 points · 1 month ago

And the chopped lettuce. Way better than fat chunky leaves.

Why is it better to put the lettuce on bottom verses the top?

It acts as a barrier of sorts to prevent the drippings from getting the bottom bun all sad and soggy

This. No one got time for a soggy bun.

No one got time for a soggy bun.

I actually moved some things around on my calendar to account for the soggy bun.

Neat. Ive never thought to try that

Isn’t that what the bun is for? Why would you want soggy lettuce instead?

Lettuce is already a very wet, watery vegetable. Due to its cell structure it also acts as a barrier against drippings. (NB: Your lettuce won't get soggy per se, but the heat from your burger, as well as hygroscopic ingredients such as salts and sugars, can definitely wilt it, which is what makes it feel "soggy".)

Bread, on the other hand, is filled with little microscopic (and not so microscopic) bits of air. Additionally, the flour the bread is made from, is naturally absorbent. Letting your burger drip directly onto the bun would fill those air pockets with grease and saturate all that bready goodness.

While the burgers look great, that ice-cold Topo Chico sells it for me!

The deli container sold it for me.

Amen from Austin.

Recently moved to Austin and am drinking as much Topo Chico as I can get mah hands on

Have you tried P.Terry's? My uncle is P. Terry... I was impressed by the burger and hope it still holds up with all his expansion.

GTFO. Really? I love P. Terry’s so much!

Yeah, Pat is my dad's brother (I'm also a Terry).

He's a good dude! I haven't talked to him in awhile, unfortunately. Has his taco place improved? Per my father, he didn't anticipate initial demand very well and had some early issues. (he didn't advertise it's opening at all, and planned on a soft open and instead had 100+ people on day one)

I dunno, I moved away from Austin 2 years ago, so I never got to try the tacos. The burgers are one of the things I miss the most from Austin though. Not only were the burgers great, the architecture and design of each location was always so cool.

Yeah. He did a fantastic job with it... Sadly, I've only been twice and both to the original location.

The taco place does not have a good reputation. The opening was advertised on social media, I was aware of it before it opened, i just didnt love the food tbh. By contrast, everyone fucking loves p terrys.

Yeah, I'd heard it had a rough start... Hopefully he can get it fixed. I know he takes pride in what he does

Yea, I absolutely love it... probably my favorite fast food burger tbh. Tell him that a newly minted Austinite is thankful for an affordable and high quality burger!

Glad to hear it! Enjoy Austin. I lived with him 15 years ago one summer and love the city... It's grown an amazing amount since then.

1 point · 1 month ago

Please recycle the bottles.

On it

1 point · 1 month ago

Thanks.

It’s a cool logo and bottle, but isn’t that stuff just mineral water?

13 points · 1 month ago

Yeah, one of/maybe the best mineral water you can buy. The bubble is perfect out of the glass bottle topo’s.

One of my favorites. I drink a ton of mineral water and for me it's up there with penafiel as far as hispanic brands go. I think it's the slight hint of lime that makes it better. It's not really flavored, but you can definitely taste a slight lime flavor

2 points · 1 month ago

penafiel

Dude, i lived in Mexico and while Topo Chico was top-notch, Peñafiel was a pretty common brand, even mexicans didn't give it much thought. It's interesting to see how other people hold it in such a high regard.

Yep. It's kinda metallic tasting to me, but I guess some people like that.

Definitely a hype thing above all else as I'm quite positive it's biggest fans wouldn't be able to distinguish between it and store brand club soda in a blind taste test.

So you are more drawn to the widely available seltzer water than the superbly executed homemade cheeseburger?

You, my friend, need to get your priorities straight.

I can easily make delicious cheeseburgers. Here in NC, Topo is tough as shit to find.

It's available at every Costco and a lot of Walmarts are starting to carry it too. If you're in a part of NC that has a Harris Teeter, then they'll have it.

And if I'm wrong about all that, trust me, it'll be just as available as Mexican Coke is in the very near future.

It's just overpriced seltzer. Once you can, overpay for a case, drink a bunch, get over it, and move on.

It will be as available as regular coca cola soon. Coca Cola bought topo chico last year and it wasn't to keep it a niche product in the US.

Original Poster30 points · 1 month ago · edited 1 month ago

That's not a recipe, that's a link to this post.

Original Poster8 points · 1 month ago

Thanks for looking out, too trigger happy.

No worries. If I were really helpful I could have added the link to my post.

What sauce are you using?

Original Poster7 points · 1 month ago

It is the fry sauce from The Food Lab. half cup mayo, 2 tablespoons ketchup, 1 tablespoon mustard, 1 tablespoon pickle juice, 1 teaspoon sugar, pinch of cayenne.

I just mix sriracha and mayo :(

These ruined all other burgers for me. So darn good.

Nailed the crust. Nice job.

What did you use to cook them? Baking steel? Cast iron?

Original Poster4 points · 1 month ago

I used a baking steel which I preheated for about 10 minutes. It does an amazing job on these burgers or finishing steaks that were sous vide.

baking steel which I preheated for about 10 minutes

How hot?

Original Poster4 points · 1 month ago

I don't have thermometer to measure surface temp so I'll use the technical term of really fucking hot, I've got a "power burner" on my stove which I use to preheat the stone.

Didn't the fat run all over the sides? Which baking steel if you don't mind me asking?

Comment deleted1 month ago
Original Poster1 point · 1 month ago

Yup, I have the skinny one, works great and no drippings.

My pizza stone just cracked and this link could not have come at a better time.

What did you use to press the burgers onto the baking steel?

How do you use a backing sheet? Do you use it as a pan and heat it with the stove top burners?

These aren't baking sheets, it's a 3/8" steel plate. Works like a cast iron griddle

FYI since I see people asking questions about the baking steel...you can “make your own” so to speak if you’re so inclined. It’ll be somewhat cheaper (not much) but you can get whatever size you want. You’re looking for A36 steel.

I bought mine on discountsteel.com because I wasn’t sure where I could get it locally. If you have a metal fabrication place by you I’d check them first to save on the shipping.

I ordered a 3/8” thick A36 hot rolled steel plate, 20”x14”. It cost basically $40 plus $30 shipping. I then went to Harbor Freight and bought an $8 angle grinder. Grind the sides down a bit so they’re not sharp (took 5 mins total), and voila you’ve got a custom-sized baking steel that works amazing. Of course it doesn’t have the grease channel or the hole to hang it, but it’s so friggin heavy there’s no way I’d hang it anyway.

Name checks out

6 points · 1 month ago

The crust?! Hot damn. I can never get mine to look like that. What’s your secret?

Original Poster4 points · 1 month ago

A very hot baking steel! Preheating is the key.

4 points · 1 month ago

What to you use to clean your baking steel? Did you get a custom cut one? Could you realistically use it to bake but also to cook on?

Clearly I’m in the market to buy

Kenji suggested a tile scraper. Amazon had em cheap and it works great. I ordered a Baking Steel he suggested and it's perfect.

Original Poster1 point · 1 month ago

This is the one I have, nothing custom. I clean it with a bench scraper. As far as baking I'm not sure, I could see it for pizzas but I have an Unni which I usually cook those on.

2 points · 1 month ago

You heat it on the stovetop? Or in the oven at the highest temp and then just use the residual heat to cook it?

Original Poster4 points · 1 month ago

I use the stovetop, I've also done it on a grill when I don't feel like smoking my whole house up.

2 points · 1 month ago

I can understand that

2 points · 1 month ago

Just got a baking steel and haven't had a chance to use it yet. Did you preheat in the oven and then transfer to stove top? Or did you preheat right on your stove?

Original Poster1 point · 1 month ago

I preheat it right on the stove or a grill if I'm outside.

Looks fantastic

Those look soooo dang good!

I made these exactly 1 week ago. SO GOOD

Is the deli container melted cheese sauce or something you did instead of slices?

Original Poster1 point · 1 month ago

that is the fry sauce from The Food Lab, I used American cheese.

Thanks!

2 points · 1 month ago

Kind of is right.

I made them tonight as well to celebrate my new meat grinder. It was so good

I bought a half and half blacktop BBQ ( grill ) specifically to make kenzi's smash burgers. Best decision I've ever made!!

3 points · 1 month ago

You need to open that topochico

Nice crust, smash burgers are literally my favorite thing to make.

Just the other night my wife made empanadas for a potluck, and had some beef leftover so I made three burgers. She also had some empanada filling leftover so I crammed that between the patties and had a triple-decker empanada stuffed smashburger as a midnight snack and it was... epic.

Dat crust.

SeriousEats.com is the source for all things delicious from meticulously tested recipes to product and equipment recommendations to restaurant reviews. Whether it's burgers, pizza, cocktails, or some fun & nerdy food science, fast food to fine dining, restaurant kitchens to yours, from coast to coast, and around the world.

r/seriouseats Rules