Today would’ve been legendary SportsCenter host Stuart Scott’s 53rd birthday. Cooler than the other side of the pillow, happy birthday Stuart.

4.5k points · 1 month ago

For those of you who don't know, he died of appendix cancer in Jan 2015 when he was 49.

2.3k points · 1 month ago

Yo I remember that day. ESPN did an amazing little skit of his days working for them on the radio and it honestly brought tears to my eyes. ESPN was a massive part of my childhood, getting ready for school in the morning, waiting for the top 10 plays of the day. I didn’t realize how much of a staple Stewart Scott was in my childhood until the day he died. He brought “swagger” to sportscasting. The dude was cool as can be and truly an innovator for his industry. I don’t listen to ESPN radio much anymore or watch ESPN really, but long live Stewart, man. A great dude taken too soon

This. Well said man. He was truly a bright light in a dum world.

I assume you meant dim, but sportscasting is also dumb these days.

113 points · 1 month ago

The world is so dum now that it dropped the b

Happy irthday, Stuart

5 points · 1 month ago

Hahah fuck

5 more replies

Whammy!

4 more replies

29 points · 1 month ago · edited 1 month ago

There’s just so many more ways to get sports news now. ESPN’s new coverage is usually pretty bad and they try to be hip and it’s lame af. There’s still a few good sportscasters on there but not too many. Their Snapchat is so cringy now I can’t even watch it. Back in the Stuart Scott days they were really reliable and brought good humor to it as well. ESPN’s going down hill fast.

If you are a fan of a smaller market team in pretty much any sport espn isn't going to provide you coverage you want. Their hockey knowledge for example is elementary at best... It's all bad

3 more replies

Amen to that my friend. Stewart Scott brought so much joy to sports broadcasting and had my full attention whenever he was reporting. The man was far too young and was dealt a rough hand in life. I will never forget how much of an impact he had on my life and how he fueled my love and interest in sports. To you Stewart Scott, may your memory never be forgotten.

1 more reply

Stuart and SVP were by far my favorite SC duo. They taught me how to be cool. RIP Stu :(

I used to work for iHeart radio on a sports station and had the pleasure of meeting SS. Truly a nice dude who had cool slapped all over him. A few of the big sports host are real fuckers, like Stephen A Smith. But, Scott was happy to bullshit with u even if u just worked locally. A class act.

Man, I’m so jealous. Sorry you had to interact with Stephen A though. Even ignoring his on-camera persona, he seems like a real McAsshole.

1 more reply

i remember once he started his segment with "in other news..." and then kept reading but the clip being aired was clearly wrong. they switch to the right clip and, without missing a beat, he just restarts with "and in other news..." and it was glorious. most people not paying attention might not have noticed, but whoever was co-anchoring with him did a "it'd be nice to get the right clip" and i thought i remembered seeing him do a muted hand sign like he was exasperated that someone shat on his beautiful cover up

27 points · 1 month ago

I remember it too. That day, not ESPN specifically. I went to the gym that morning and turned on ESPN when I got home, probably around 10 or 11. That’s when I saw the news and saw everyone on air talking about it.

I sat there on the floor (I was taking my shoes off before I paid attention to the tv) for probably an hour. I cried some heavy man-tears, man. Sobbing.

Not only was he one of the biggest parts of watching ESPN growing up, but he was an inspiration through his battle with cancer. My mom had breast cancer when I was in high school, seven or eight years before Stu’s passing. It’s always been a subject that’s hit me right in the heart, anyone battling cancer. He was a part of my growing up, hyperbole or not. I watched his speeches and interviews throughout his journey. It hit me hard. The world lost a good one that day, that’s for damn sure.

26 more replies

“When you die, it does not mean that you loss to cancer. You beat cancer by how you live, why you live, and the manner in which you live.”

38 points · 1 month ago

This quote resonates with me so much when he said it. So powerful to people who have experienced cancer in their family.

121 points · 1 month ago

Appendix cancer? I didn't even know that was a thing. Being killed by a useless part of your body makes it somehow even worse.

Your Appendix actual holds a portion of mircobio bacteria found in your gut in the event your body needs to get some to refill your stomach with healthy level flora.

35 points · 1 month ago

Ah, so they have discovered its use? I can only remember reading that scientists have no clue what it's for and doesn't appear to have any function, or that it could be the remnant of some organ that gave way to evolution

Yeah, that was the prevailing theory, but as the other guy said its basically a nice organ to have, although not necessary for life. If you get sick, your body purges all bacteria in your gut (good and bad). The appendix can act as a sort of safe haven for good bacteria to hide during the purge. When you recover, this bacteria can move from your appendix to the rest of your digestive system, without your body having to create/acquire new bacteria.

7 points · 1 month ago

Does that just mean you recover faster when you get sick?

That's the theory. Although, it's not exactly clear how much it helps, if any. It's likely that the appendix was crucial at a much earlier evolutionary stage, but due to modern medicine, better hygiene, better genetics, and lessened biological threats, our digestive system seems to work fine without an appendix.

3 more replies

Sometimes people need poop transplants if they lose all their flora

Sometimes people need poop transplants

read aloud reminds me of Ralph Wiggum

18 more replies

3 more replies

My dad had appendix cancer. He kept having pain in his lower side - he complained to his Dr a couple times but I guess the symptoms didn't align with appendicitis. Eventually his appendix burst, and it was only then they found a tumor inside of the appendix. Had they removed it before I guess the damage and following treatment would of been far less severe. He's doing great now but yeah what a shitty year from a stupid organ.

I had colon cancer, but luckily you get a free appendectomy with every right hemi-colectomy.

4 more replies

4 more replies

Fuck it’s already been 3 years. Crazy it was that long ago. RIP

Fuck Cancer.

Fuck me for not knowing.

57 points · 1 month ago · edited 1 month ago

I didn't either, but probably because I stopped watching ESPN.

Edit: I respect this guy for not deleting his comment though.

Yah man, it came out of no where. Fuck cancer

13 more replies

S/o to Boosie

FUCK cancer.

Hot fucking take

23 more replies

It’s still hard for me to watch Hannah Storm announce Stuart’s passing without getting emotional.

The Rich Eisen one always fucks me up.

That one was so harsh. Here's that moment

That duo was legendary.

27 points · 1 month ago

I remember Eisen was on the NFL Network covering highlights of the games on the day of Stu's passing, and he paid tribute to him in ultimate fashion by using all of his signature catchphrases. It was beautiful.

Edit: Here's the clip

I love Stuart Scott and credit him with the reason I love sports. I hadn’t seen this video before. Fantastic tribute.

The worst part of that clip is Michael Irvin (and the others) falling all over themselves trying to get Stu's catch-phrases out before Eisen.

10 points · 1 month ago

For some reason I watched both of these again, as if I didn’t cry hard enough when I saw them the first time. His is the only “celebrity” death I’ve ever cried over.

4 points · 1 month ago

For me it wasn’t because of him dying. It was the pain that was so openly shared by those who loved him.

1 more reply

Ah dammit. Ever since I heard the cooler side line years ago I'd always hear it my head the way Stuart said it. To hear Rich say the part about when you go to bed tonight.. ughh, Jesus that hurt.

7 more replies

Those two together in the morning before school were great. Eisen’s tribute was great though.

God, why did I click on that despite knowing exactly what it would do to me? Thank you for posting it.

7 points · 1 month ago

Yeah that was brutal, I don't know why I clicked it at all. Had to dash to the mens room. He was a good dude, always loved his broadcasts.

2015? Felt just like the other day. RIP 😞

Fuck. Appendix Cancer just seems unreasonably cruel.

46 more replies

I’ll always remember when Ditka first appeared on Sports Center. He gave some analysis and when finished Stuart said: “Thanks for the love Coach”.

The look on Ditka’s face was priceless.

110 points · 1 month ago

Was that regular Ditka or mini Ditka?

Four foot tall ditka. The rest of da bears are regular size tho.

DA BEARS

what if the hurricane is named Ditka?

39 points · 1 month ago

I would love to see this. Is there a link anywhere?

728 points · 1 month ago

I'll never forget when he showed up unannounced at our senior class day when I was a sophomore in high school. He was an '83 grad of the same high school as me. It was so cool.

RJ Reynolds?

That'd be the one!

40 points · 1 month ago

Like the tobacco company? Named for the same guy?

Yep. In Winston-Salem, NC. Home of RJR.

That's why the sell Winstons and Salems

Once (10+ years ago) had a guy in another state bemoan the fact that he had to go outside to smoke. He looked at me and said, “just wait — you guys in North Carolina will be next.” I looked right back and said, “you see those Winstons you’re smoking?? Hell, I’m surprised there’s not a Kools, NC.”

Turned out he was right of course, but still.

4 more replies

4 points · 1 month ago

The first time I’ve ever seen my high school in a thread on reddit lol

5 more replies

Shout out to Winston!

9 more replies

420 points · 1 month ago

BOOO YAH

Easy, Stewart

first of all, I have more street cred than you. second of all, I have HD television and you have one eye

Sweet sassy molassey!

HOLLA AT YA BOI WHEN YOU SEE HIM IN THE STREETS

8 more replies

He had a unique style that he stuck with all the way. Hard to believe it's been 3 and a half years now, RIP.

What happened to him?

Cancer.

Well you tell cancer I’m looking for him!

Cancer

Amazing how far ESPN has fallen since. RIP

You're not kidding. I used to watch Sportscenter all the time. I'd even watch reruns of it sometimes late at nite. Now, I honestly haven't watch a single episode in years. I still follow sports tho but can't stand watching that crap.

I would always get ready for school watching Sportscenter. Watch again as soon as i got home. Fall asleep to baseball tonight.

There is no reason to watch Sportscenter today. I just can’t do it.

PTI, Around the Horn and Highly Questionable i can watch during NFL season. ESPN has fallen harder then Sears.

Only a matter of time before we start comparing it to blockbuster.

Between SportsCenter and Headline News (same format as SC but news) there wasn’t a current event I couldn’t talk about in High school.

I take it you’re not into the NBA because the Jump is pretty good too

Rachel Nichols has really propelled her career from being on Brett Farve's lawn.

HighlyQuestionable is the worst show ever created on ESPN

Not even close, LeBatards dad is a national treasure

The best part of the show tbh

Yougettheshooow!

Sí Sí very intrigued

3 more replies

It’s a shame this needs to be said

Ur mad Oakland sucks don’t hate in popi and dan

21 more replies

10 more replies

Likewise. The only ESPN progamming I ever watch anymore is College Gameday and actual college football games. The rest of it is dead to me and has been for years.

13 points · 1 month ago

Sams honest, I also watch MNF, and I didn’t watch Sunday Countdown last year because no Chris Berman, just isn’t the same

Scott Van Pelt’s show isn’t awful. It’s not the best ESPN has ever had, but it’s entertaining.

SvP is the last of the old guard in my opinion. I always liked him.

27 points · 1 month ago

Rumor has it, SportsCenter heavily featured highlights from the day's sporting events once upon a time.

Also, I've heard MTV used to play music videos.

2 more replies

They were doomed as soon as they started reporting on athletes cryptic tweets as news

2 more replies

Sports center at night with scott van pelt is the only thing that rivals old sports center nowadays

I only watch it when theres reruns of shows ive seen 30 times not on.

Even then, its background noise to my phon

28 points · 1 month ago

Just a heads up, try giving Sportscenter another shot. I gave up on it as well during all the political and non-sports related bullshit they kept pushing, but I missed an Astros game a few weeks ago and tuned in hoping they would have highlights. Sure enough, it reminded me very much of old Sportscenter. I actually went to sleep with it on during its 2nd cycle. Felt like a kid again.

Anyway, I'd say give it another chance and see what you think. I think they're trying to bring it back to its former glory.

Late evening Sportcenter is indeed still decent. It's that horrid Get Up show they have on in the mornings that makes me want to throw my bowl of cereal at the screen.

Yes. SVP should have stayed daytime, that format seemed to serve him better. But Stan and Neil are pretty good in their own right.

Mike and Mike should never have disbanded. Golic and Wingo is ok, not really as good, and Get Up is just awful.

Wingo is so annoying. He just repeats the same joke over and over during the segment trying to get a reaction from the Golic's or something. I wish Lebatard would do that morning slot for my drive in to work.

9 more replies

SVP's late night Sportscenter is pretty much the only ESPN I watch now. It's as close to old school Sportscenter as it gets, without all the bullshit gossip and "debate." Keep doing God's work, SVP.

1 more reply

Serious question here....I haven't watched ESPN for a good 6 years or so. Why has it fallen so fast? What do you think has been the reason for its decline?

83 points · 1 month ago

More coverage on players lives than on the actual games is the reason I stopped watching. Also much more star worship and less focus on the teams.

It’s now people saying outlandish she and it got stale. Also it’s less about sports. This one hurt me

It was the middle of summer. There were a ton of baseball games on, so I thought they’d show some highlights.

Nope. They showed lebron James singing happy birthday on instagram. Then had a panel of people judge it.

No thanks. Later cable

63 points · 1 month ago

People like to say ESPN got too political, but I never saw any of that myself. They always just said what was happening in sports and tried to grab the interesting topics.

The real reason no one watches anymore is you don’t have to. 20+ years ago if you wanted to know what happened in sports, you HAD to watch espn. They realized with everyone else that you can get all your news and highlights instantly anytime you want on the internet. That’s why they went away from that. Their highest rated shows were people yelling at each other so they filled their time with hay. Now that doesn’t draw like it used to and they don’t have anymore ideas.

The real reason no one watches anymore is you don’t have to.

That's the thing, though. I'm too old or inept to find highlights on the internet. Sure, I can find clips of any given game online, but I want a highlight show with everything in one place. Where can I find that online or on television?

7 more replies

5 more replies

They stopped focusing on game highlights and have started focusing on social media, individual player’s lives, etc.

7 more replies

I tried to give espn a shot again. I saw sport center was on and thought “there were a lot of baseball games on last night, they’ll show highlights”.

Nope. They showed Lebron James singing happy birthday to someone on instagram. Then had a panel of people rate it. Nope.

For real, don’t remember the last time I watched that channel just for fun.

You’re spot on...it’s amazing how virtually every one of their programs just absolutely tanked. I listened to Golic and Wingo on my drive into work the other day and they did not make a single sports related comment during my entire commute

I used to love watching Sportscenter in the morning before school back in the day. Man I miss the good ole days when we had great Sportscenter anchors like Stuart Scott, SVP, Dan Patrick, Rich Eisen, Kenny Mayne, etc. Now the anchors suck and all they talk about is LeBron

the grip of Disney/ABC continues

ESPN has unfortunately been trending towards garbagetown the last several years

22 more replies

I had never seen that until today. That was amazing.

That will never fail to bring a tear to my eye. So raw and powerful. RIP

Yeah holy shit that was absolutely beautiful.

God almighty this is heartbreaking. An incredible show of character and professionalism too that he was able to prepare and deliver this monologue after hearing the news only 10 minutes before.

NSFW

Seriously. I'm crying my eyes out now.

Thank you for making me cry again. I had the pleasure of meeting Stuart and was able to watch how he interacted with his fans in public. He was just as amazing as everyone thought he was on TV.

Came here to post this. Remembered watching this live and crying my eyes out.

My A/C must be broke because my eyes are getting sweaty...

2 more replies

I remember watching this live and it was / is one of the most heart breaking things I’ve ever seen.

I’ve rewatched it a handful of times and tear up regardless knowing the monologue / outcome.

5 more replies

Straight butter.

Miss ya Stu

18 points · 1 month ago

They call him Windex man because he cleans the glass!

281 points · 1 month ago

He and Scott Van Pelt were the only anchors I ever enjoyed watching

They both made it their own. SVP has his own SportsCenter that I enjoy significantly more than the AM broadcasts

31 points · 1 month ago

One of the only shows i can bear on espn anymore. The man sticks to sports, shows highlights and funny happenings, doesn’t make it about him but about the sports. SVP is the man

The only thing about him is the “Where in the world is SVP” but honestly that’s fucking hilarious. Definitely one of my favorite parts

1 more reply

Dan Patrick also but that was a long time ago when he was still on ESPN

my dad was a groomsman at his wedding, just throwing that out there since this is reddit and you only see these connections here

I have a VHS tape that has almost every "plays of the week" from November 95-August 96 when Dan Patrick and Keith Olbermann were in their prime. Good times.

1 more reply

Those two together was television gold. The glory days of SC really, or ESPN as a network for that matter

I need to rewatch SVP standing up for Lamar Odom during all that Kardashian bullshit. Such a stand up guy

Rich Eisen, Dan Patrick, Charlie Steiner... these guys were all good. I used to enjoy Kieth Olberman as well, until he became an unhinged political hack.

3 more replies

Rich Eisen was good, too. I remember his tribute to Stuart on NFL Network and when he said Stuart's name in past tense he absolutely broke down. I still can't believe he's gone.

The goat 🙌🏼

that's "The Goat" to you mister!

I know it might sound like good old days syndrome or whatever but Sportcenter back in the day was so much better than it is now. I don't ever watch it anymore when I used to watch it every morning. The old anchors were better, the coverage was better, just everything other than the production value was significantly better.

Yeah, I miss actual highlights. Do I care that the Brewers are playing the Blue Jays or that the Capitals are playing the Predators??? No, but I’d rather watch the highlights of those game as opposed to why Lebron MIGHT be the goat for the fucking millionth time

Exactly. It used to be highlights and news, now it's drama, speculation, and hot takes above all else.

11 more replies

4 more replies

His speech at the ESPYs is still the stuff of legend right behind Jimmy V's.

Both of those speeches demand my attention and move me every time.

Jimmy's

Scott's

20 points · 1 month ago

Damn, I just rewatched Scott accepting the award at The Espy's, def crying a bit!

1 more reply

If you haven’t read his book, I recommend you do. Definitely made me cry

4 more replies

my high school psych teacher played jimmy v's speech in class. it was so fucking beautiful dude. made a huge impact on me

R.I.P. not gonna lie I teared up when he passed away. When you watch these guys every day it's like you've known them your whole life.

1 more reply

Omg that’s a good one too! Honestly Stuart Scott had so many good ones. Do they even make funny sports center commercials anymore? I can’t remember the last time I saw one

1 more reply

Woah, didn't know we shared the same birthday. RIP.

Michael: I just wanted to call and wish you a happy birthday.

Jan: Well, today's not my birthday, so...

Michael: Really? 'Cause, I thought we had the same birthday.

Jan: ...Happy birthday, Michael.

Jan Levinson, I presume?

Tan everywhere, Jan everywhere

Original Poster56 points · 1 month ago

happy birthday stranger!

Hey man thank you!

5 more replies

16 points · 1 month ago

TIL I shared the same birthday as you and Stuart Scott. Happy Birthday, fellow redditor!

1 more reply

Look at this guy fishing for birthday wishes! happy birthday

TAR!!!!

HEELS!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I remember after his death at one of the UNC home basketball games they held a memorial to his life and just thinking back to it gives me chills. Stewart was a great man and a great tar heel.

2 more replies

Back in the glory days when ESPN was on its game and SportsCenter was worth watching.

11 points · 1 month ago

For real. It was a cultural touchstone. I remember watching it all day in college sometimes. Get up and catch the morning show once or twice before class. Come back, flip it back on while I did homework. Keep it going on the background when it would flip over to the updated version at 3pm (CA time, it was the 6pm slot back east). Then I'd watch the reairing and catch which segments they'd bungled a bit live and refilmedand inserted into the rebroadcasts. Then I'd watch the late night airing as I was headed to bed. If I was being dumb and pulling an all-nighter because I procrastinated, I rewatch that one over and over too.

There were days I watched nothing but SportsCenter and whatever happened to be on in between airings of SportsCenter. Felt like I spent my day with those anchors. Stuart and Eisen were my favorite pair. Damn it was a lot of time to spend on one show and one channel, but I miss it.

4 more replies

Fuck cancer. RIP Stu you were the man.

14 points · 1 month ago

Hannah Storm's announcement was very heart wrenching to watch as well. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cZG4nYgTsRE

98 points · 1 month ago

Last era that I watched SportsCenter. It’s a shit show now lol

Go back and give some of the late night editions a watch. Scott van Pelt’s show in particular is very good, but most of the other hosts are good for at least one cycle.

1 more reply

He was cooler than the other side of the pillow!

I miss his voice.

FUCK CANCER

Just went down a Stuart Scott rabbit hole and, I have gotta say, this video here is incredibly well done. I didn't realize how much he meant to me and my childhood until watching this video. Check it out if you feel inclined. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Oo0d3ezUEY

That was awesome.

9 points · 1 month ago · edited 1 month ago

Grew up listening to this awesome mother fucker giving me the scoop on all things sports. Really miss this dude. He is a fucking legend.

BOOYA!

He lived down the street from me in the late 80's when he was our local sports reporter here in SC. He was a super nice guy and would always come out and play with all of the kids. My friends and I were riding our bikes when one of my friends fell off and skinned his knee up pretty good. Stuart stopped his car and came out and asked if he was alright. He then went to his car and got a WPDE t shirt which was the station he worked at and wrapped it around his knee and drove my friend home. I will never forget how nice of a guy he was.

Stuart and Buccigross were on my television EVERY single morning as a child. RIP brotha you are greatly missed.

4 more replies

He was such a badass too. Kept broadcasting through Chemo and everything. I still get chocked up when I see the ESPN tribute of him.

11 points · 1 month ago · edited 1 month ago

I actually got to meet him when the super bowl came here to Jacksonville, and he was making rounds with mcnabb (eagles qb), and mcnabb was very rude but Stuart gave me a explanation of why he literally came in ,and waved at people, and left he wasn’t even there at the bowling alley where the father and son football event was , I met mcnabbs parents they were so nice and polite to everyone who was there that paid 150$ to meet mcnabb and other players, I met some amazing players at this event, and I wish Jacksonville could host another super bowl one day ,best two week event ever

19 points · 1 month ago

, , , , , , <-- Looking for these? I was.

1 more reply

I can picture him in heaven right now, having a beer with Wade Boggs, and reading this thread with just the slightest little grin on his face.

6 points · 1 month ago · edited 1 month ago

My favorite Stu line was one he typically saved for basketball highlights when a player hit a really disrespectful stepback or crossover for an alley-oop, layup/dunk, etc..

"Holla at a playa when you see him in the streets"

Really made SC what it was/is even though it's not nearly as fun as it once was. RIP Stu.

1 more reply

He's one of those rare people who's energy fills the room you're watching him in.

6 points · 1 month ago

I often pause contemplatively when I’m running and some throwback Lil Wayne comes on that mentions this legend (3peat).

According to Rich Eisen, have some ice cream today and hashtag it #ScoopsForStu

ESPN died with him. He made my 9-11pm weeknights from middle school through college. Everything seemed to change at ESPN when he passed.

ESPN went downhill after we lost him

Back when I watched Sports Center.

RIP.

Fond memories of watching him and Rich Eisen first thing every morning as a kid. Miss ya, Stu.

Keith Olbermann's tribute to Stuart Scott's Courage

4 points · 1 month ago

I’ll never forget his speech toward the end of his life where he said: “when you die, it does not mean that you lose to cancer. You beat cancer by how you live, why you live, and the manner in which you live”

This always resonated with me as such a powerful statement.

Sportscenter really hasn't been the same since.

13 points · 1 month ago

He’s dead?

Original Poster37 points · 1 month ago

he has been for almost 4 years

I actually forgot that he passed. To this day I'll tell people I'm cooler than the other side of the pillow because of him.

2 more replies

His Jimmy V speech was 4 years ago last night. Or at least 4 ESPYs ago, remember that so well

386 more replies

Fans

The central hub for all things sports on reddit.

r/sports Rules
All content must be related directly to sports
Titles must be high effort and descriptive.
No Blogs, Spam, or Illegal Content