Archived

'John Wick' TV Series in the Works at Starz (With Keanu Reeves Attached)

Is he actually going to be the main actor, or are they going to pull a Limitless, and just have him intro the rest of the cast in Ep 01?

Rick and Morty2.2k points · 7 months ago

"Starz announced Friday at the Television Critics Association's winter press tour that it was developing The Continental, an ongoing drama series based on the John Wick film franchise starring Keanu Reeves. Reeves, Starz execs said, is expected to make an appearance in the potential series but will not star as the project exists side by side with the feature universe."

Confirmed.

Rick and Morty424 points · 7 months ago

Kinda bummed but I expected it. It sounds interesting nonetheless

A John Wick show would never be able to be as good as a John Wick movie though, I feel like it would just cheapen his character and make him not feel as badass. A show in the same world but not focusing on him is ideal

Game of Thrones336 points · 7 months ago

Yup, plus they're making John wick 3

Also there are Doritos taco shells so the world is looking pretty fucking great right now.

What a time to be alive!

There is an alcohol delivery service in most parts of the US. I was happy with not having polio, but goddammit science, you had to make me a happier man.

Have you tried having it just to see what it's like? I feel like you're missing out on the polio fun

Wait, what? Really?

1 more reply

Diet doctor pepper tastes more like regular doctor pepper, so, there’s that

I'd argue it tastes more like regular Dr pepper than regular Dr pepper at this point. It's disconcerting.

That is quite the accomplishment

The commercial for Diet Dr. Pepper says it tastes just like regular Dr. Pepper. Well, then they fucked up!

They say that the recipe for Sprite is lemon and lime, but I tried to make it at home, there’s more to it than that.

Back in 2009ish I was playing this online PS3 game called MAG and there was a dude on my team who said he worked for Frito-Lay. He kept talking about how Frito-Lay was working with Taco Bell to incorporate their chips with their menu and one of the things he mentioned were nacho cheesier/cooler ranch taco shells. Everyone on the team was calling bullshit but we all agreed how amazing that would be.

About a year later the Bell introduced the Dorito shells.

I just wanted to brag about that real quick.

I miss MAG so much

1 more reply

We see through your disguise... Taco Bell!

5 more replies

I feel it would've been way better if they did this after finishing the movie saga.

He's gonna kill them all.

Then this is pointless then

I don't know, Banshee is one of my all time favorite things to watch. If they can attach some of the same talent that made that show, I believe they could make an amazing series

If they could get Lance Reddick as recurring character that'd be awesome. Maybe occasional visit from Ian McShane.

3 points · 7 months ago · edited 7 months ago

Both actors have worked on Starz shows, Reddick Spartacus, and Mcshane on American Gods, so there’s definitely a possibility... plus I believe the show revolves around the continental hotel chain.

EDIT: not Lance Reddick on Spartacus, it was Peter Mensah, both terrific character actors tho

3 more replies

I was actually hoping for that instead of Reeves. Have another hitman in the universe showing off other parts of the places and things. Hell lets figure out what if any the concierge guy has to do and if he's a badass or not. Then for the series finale they could tie it into Wick 3 where they get the message that Wick is now a target.

I miss anthology series. I would love to be able to tell several smaller stories. That way you don't have to build a story any bigger than it needs to be. Some stories might be one episode, some might be 3, maybe they could fit 2 or 3 short stories in one episode.

I'm looking for more stories in this world because I am interested in the world, not necessarily the stories they are telling, but the world they are building.

If anything, credit the incredible world-building that the creators have done to make an entire subculture that has maybe hundreds of stories and characters available to talk about, not from a pre-existing novel or concept that was adapted. It was all built for that movie.

Basically it's the Harry Potter world except hardcore assassins instead of Wizards.

What's great about the John Wick universe is that it's super bare-bones and doesn't bog itself down with the questions of how or why.

Like, "why pay a whole gold coin for a drink at the bar?" or "How do the cops not get involved in this open world shooter which they've conceived?"

They really do it well by never bringing in any outsiders to the film. The closest thing to an outsider in John Wick 1 is the kid who kills his dog, and his father needs to explain who Wick is. The majority of the barely fleshed out world (for the film at least) is inferred entirely by the viewer. We all just kind of shrug because of a mild use of "rule of cool." We suspend disbelief in this world because, well, Wick is Baba Yaga. And he's about to unleash some damn near supernatural whoop ass on people who killed his doggo.

So world-building? Not really. It's a simple "what if?"

I figured the drinks at the bar for a super elite secret society place would all be extremely expensive. Like those thousand dollar shots they have.

Either that or that scene was them overpaying due to the fact that they just broke the rules and faugh in the building and they were making amens.

2 more replies

4 more replies

You say that but I think a John Wick show after the 3rd movie, can make sense if John Wick doesn't end up dismantling the continental or something strange like that.

Just look at how they've made shows out of so many other things.

21 more replies

The world is big enough to function without focusing entirely on John Wick himself, so I'm okay with it in this case.

It’d be really cool if it focused on some characters in the universe for then all of the sudden John wick comes in and kills them all. He’s just a boogeyman and doesn’t have any meaningful or plot forwarding lines. Just comes in like a badass for one episode to hunt down the main cast.

Woah

I'll always be happy to have more Lance Reddick in the world.

2 more replies

I actually kinda think that's how they'll use his character in the show... like a deus ex machina that pops in and out as needed.

I also think it would be cool if they basically plotted out a story line for him even if they didn't show him all the time... ie the main characters of the show would read a report about how he did something that was tangentially related, then later see him from a distance doing something related to that....

The tv show's main storyline could be somewhat parallel with crossovers randomly.

As long as they don't really pull a limitless, where hes basically ONLY in the first ep, I think it will be good.

Don't forget a couple of people almost kill Wick in the movies. The only reason Wick got away in the first movie is because Marcus sniped a few people before Kirill could finish killing John, and in the second movie Common's character managed to beat the hell out of him.

So yea, the universe could easily have more assassins that are on the same level as Wick. Wick is only legendary because he's completed some insanely difficult hits, the universe makes it pretty clear that Wick isn't invulnerable, and that he sometimes only scrapes by the skin of his teeth.

Wick is mortal as hell, he needs body armor just like everybody else.

2 more replies

Maybe it's a show about John wicks past and he just introes it before it goes to a past version of himself (played by someone else)

It's actually just a remake of Wonder Years with Keanu narrating!

2 more replies

I think this is actually ideal. The universe they built is pretty interesting. Let John wicks story be gold in the films then we can't explore their universe through other characters.

12 points · 7 months ago · edited 7 months ago

I can love that that if they have Ian McShane. They should make it part anthology series in that universe where each week a tired and beaten person flops down in the chair next to McShane and unloads this story and then at the end you realise weather they're a quasi friend just unloading, someone asking for a favour or someone trying to explain to McShane so he doesn't kill them. Every so often the stories come together and there is an attack on the hotel or something and you realise how badass the staff really are. Hell I'd watch a show about the cleaning staff alone, part anti-CSI part MrWolf.

Edit: The difference between John Wick and Limitless is while they both focus on the main character but John Wick hints at a whole world with fascinating character and it's own interesting codes of honour that I think the viewer wants to see fleshed out. John Wick movies should be focused on John, essentially they are just him dealing with one problem and moving to the next and so you only see that world as much as he has to deal with it to solve his problems. You're never going to spend a day with the gunsmith or the tailor because John has shit to do so a spin off series is kind of perfect.

1 more reply

55 points · 7 months ago(11 children)

Starz doesn't fuck around when it comes to budget.

They made American Gods right? That was pretty good.

Yep, Also Black Sails, Outlander and a few other big budget dramas.

And Spartacus. Starz has some pretty great action dramas.

You forgot the best one: Ash VS Evil dead.

House of lies

Yes. I am feeling excitement for this new entertainment product.

4 more replies

Side by side... so is it going to be random assassins from the Continental, or some unaffiliated group that John just bumps into or... what?

It could be a really compelling way of fleshing out the world--if done right.

16 more replies

Its not really a John Wick tv show, but a Contintental one, focusing in the hitmen coming in and out of the hotel

More Adrienne Palacki please!

Comment deleted7 months ago(20 children)

Or watch her get burned alive in old Supernatural episodes. If you're into that.

They got a lot of fucking mileage out of that one scene she was in. They used the footage for like 3 seasons of flashbacks.

4 more replies

Doesn't have to be a sequel.

It’s a prequel per their original statements so you are right. Supposed to take place a year or two before John retired the first time, so a few years before the first movie. Let’s em bring back various cameos with people who died in the movies too

2 more replies

Love her on The Orville, I didn’t realise that was her in John Wick

Comment deleted7 months ago(0 children)

1 more reply

That gotta bring her back. Also way,way more Hunter.

3 more replies

3 more replies

1 more reply

Yeah i don't want them to ruin the masterpieces that are the first two movies by pumping out a mediocre tv show. Keanu probably would hopefully stop that though.

They're pretty good action flicks.

But masterpieces? Come on.

Years ago I said "imagine if they made an action movie, but it's all action after 10 mins setting up the plot." People said it couldn't be done, or at least it wouldn't work. Then John Wick came out.

And The Raid came out before JW

And if a station can do gratuitous action and violence, it's Starz, though I don't think I've liked anything from them more than I liked Spartacus.

2 more replies

4 more replies

4 more replies

I really enjoyed the background scenes in JW2 when Wick had to be kitted out with suits, architectural plans and weapons. Plus they had a brief scene with the Goldsmith and a new batch of coins.

With The Continental, they could have a solid base for characters and then new ones popping in and out with cameos of stars if they choose.

Too bad James Spader is already busy. I could see him managing the hotel.

5 more replies

228 points · 7 months ago · edited 7 months ago

I have no idea why or how much he was paid, but Bradley Cooper was actually in like 4 or 5 episodes of that show.

Edit: I know he was a producer. LOTS of lead actors produce tv shows based on movies they were in without making more than a 2 minute pilot cameo

Well he was a producer (maybe even an EP?) too so I think he was pretty invested in the continuing plot of the show/movie.

Which makes it suck more the show got cancelled.

I had a lot of fun with it, wish it got a 2nd season.

9 more replies

Honestly I could live with that if it were the case. I fucking loved the Limitless show. Mostly because the lead actor was really good, and I got to watch Jennifer Carpenter try not to swear.

I was hoping for more seasons. Sad they pulled a “Firefly” with it.

Wasn't really a firefly, was it.

To be a proper Firefly the episodes would have to be released in a nonsensical order.

But don't get me wrong, I loved Limitless and bummed that it's gone too, I'm just madder at how Firefly got handled by Fox.

Seriously, why is that guy not in more stuff? He was so good.

8 more replies

Did you happen to read the article? This is the third sentence:

Limitless was a good show.

1 more reply

Well edward nora did return later on in the show. Also fuck the people who decided to cancel the show :/ one bad episode aside this was a cool show.

27 more replies

666 points · 7 months ago · edited 7 months ago

Before you all get excited, the show is about The Continental Hotel. Keanu is only an executive producer.

EDIT: I'm excited as well, but the title makes it sound like Keanu will appear be the main character. I guess I should've worded it a bit better.

Psych283 points · 7 months ago

Still excited. Lots of cool shit they could do with The Continental.

They could easily introduce another bad ass character. Keanu could be mentioned as a sort of legend of the place. There's a ton of potential here.

Psych71 points · 7 months ago

Exactly. Fingers crossed for Ian McShane.

I always want a little Lance Reddick

I've said this before, but a series starring Lance Reddick and Ian McShane dealing with the various crazy assassins and the politics of the underworld would be fucking amazing if done right.

Like a revamped Fawlty Towers of the assassin world? I'd watch that.

1 more reply

Hopefully he'll have a large role! Lester Freamon Clarke Peters also needs to be on this show

He's already in another Starz series, that might help

So far he is, I'm not holding onto hope for a new season of American Gods with everything that's going on.

What do you mean?

Brian Fuller quit over creative and budget reasons

Nooo :/

1 more reply

Yup. I'll get a lot more excited if Odin and/or Lieutenant Daniels get attached to this.

Psych3 points · 7 months ago

For sure. The two main reasons that got me excited about the Hellboy reboot were that it would be more faithful to the comics and Ian McShane as Trevor Bruttenholm.

I will watch anything that man is in.

1 more reply

could make agent 47 a myth in that place.

1 more reply

As long as I don’t see the same food being eaten twice then I’m all in!

Would you like a dinner reservation, sir?

1 more reply

I dunno, that makes me more excited. Makes a lot more sense for a TV show than John Wick just continuing to be begrudgingly brought out of retirement

Well John Wick has about the coolest universe in the world so I'm sure they could do all kinds of great things with it. I'm fine if Keanu is not in it much.

It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia5 points · 7 months ago

As long as Ian McShane is in the show, I have no doubt it'll be great!

1 more reply

He will appear, but only as a guest star.

Ah. Just yesterday I commented about how I've seen 2-3 Keanu pics on the front page this entire week, and wondered what movie was about to debut that I hadn't heard of. But it was a TV show all along. Interesting.

1 more reply

The article says he could make an appearance.

6 more replies

Great. Starz is usually an underrated network. Hope they give it a solid budget; It's a good concept.

After Black Sails, I trust them completely.

Honestly, even Spartacus had a good amount of substance under all the blood and tits.

Spartacus and Black Sails are two of my favorite shows. I couldn't tell you how many times they had me in awe.

Pillars of Earth and World Without End were also great.

2 more replies

I would argue Spartacus had a lot more substance than it did tits, which is saying something.

...and dicks

Jupiter's COCK

Once more the gods part cheek and plant cock in fucking arse

Squat and produce!

I remember watching Spartacus with my younger brother and a week later he was yelling "BY JUPITER'S COCK!"

My cock is magic!

HEY You'll enjoy those blood and tits and you'll like it! I thought the first 4 episodes were great of the show. When he started getting overpowered it kinda went ehh for me but I still enjoyed it. I really enjoyed my main man Crix though. Rip Andy.

Also a good amount of blood and tits, if that's your thing.

Spartacus is my favorite show of all time. The tits were just a bonus.

1 more reply

They have the best tits.

The dialog in Spartacus was so over the top hilarious.

My favorite line from the show : "right when things seem to be going according to plan, the gods shove cock in ass!"

... Or something like that..

ONCE MORE THE GODS PART CHEEK AND SHOVE COCK IN ARSE!

This show was amazing

10 more replies

35 points · 7 months ago · edited 7 months ago

Check out American Gods it was awesome

8 more replies

Yeah they got some good shows. Outlander is another solid one that there doing a really fantastic job on tbh.

Isn't Ash vs Evil Dead also from Starz? Great show.

My Little Pony4 points · 7 months ago

It is. And season 3 starts February 25th.

Groovy

1 more reply

Great show. LJS had awesome character dev.

Very true!

They also made Power, brilliant show too

7 more replies

they ponied up for 3 seasons of Ash vs Evil Dead

I love outlander

Spartacus was one of my favorite shows.

American Gods too

Chuck236 points · 7 months ago

“The Continental promises to include the thunderous fight sequences and intensely staged shootouts between professional assassins and their targets that fans have come to expect in the John Wick movie franchise as well as introducing some new, darkly compelling characters who inhabit this underground world.”
Best news ever

83 points · 7 months ago · edited 7 months ago

They can just so easily go into some Steven Seagal territory with this. It's so easy to miss all the things Wick movies did right (especially the first one) and go to the usual shitfest that the more action and gun oriented shows are.

I don't mind, or really care, that Reeves isn't in it, but the writing and directing most of all, needs to be sharp enough and the fights need to be... well smart enough. Wick was a simple premise, a simple plot, but it was done in such a razor sharp way.

My hope is they don't try to recreate Keanu's gunfu style with every agent. I want to see agents use different fighting styles and have different specialties.

agree assassin's should definitely have different styles.

I loved that Palicki's character used a different technique than Wick.
and tbh Palicki as an assassin who can hold her own against Wick was totally believable to see.

Palicki May star if it takes place before movie 1

1 more reply

Reeves is Executive producing, I trust he can instill the focused realism of the films into the TV series

There's so many executive producers though, who make fine movies on their own, but the movies where they're just exec producers are... well not that good at all (i know this was tv series, but just saying).

I truely wish that Reeves cares enough about this new coming of his with Wick, so that he also enforcers some amount of quality into the tv series, but... it often just doesn't go like that.

I agree just the fact that he's an EP doesn't mean anything, but Reeves really seemed to focus on the gunplay and stuff in Wick. He wanted it to look great because he knows it ties the film together. It seems like he's passionate about this series and he seems like the kind of guy who would want that same focus on the TV show that his name is attached to.

2 more replies

That’s exciting, the world building is what set apart John Wick for me. I came for “Keanu Reeves shoots people for 90-minutes, the movie” but ended up getting so much more than that.

1 more reply

Comment deleted7 months ago(2 children)

That's just great. If they can do this right, it will achieve what MCU TV shows and MCU movies have tried and failed to do for years now - a truly connected universe.

If they plan to do more movies beyond #3, then the movies can tie-in to specific episodes of the show where Wick or others show up.

1 more reply

You can make a very good action show on limited budgets. Look at Banshee on Cinemax. Go watch Banshee S3, it includes:

• A highway shootout with machine guns and bows and arrows of Marines vs. Native American gang members.

• A totally CRAZY hand to hand fight between Odette Annabelle's character and Matthew Rauch.

• An episode taking place in the back of a moving semi-truck dressed up as an office.

• An Assault on Precinct 13 style siege/showdown between cops and the Native American gang.

• A 20 minute long gopro filmed sequence of robbing a military base complete with a fight scene between four different characters POV in their cameras.

• An over the top shootout climax to cap off the season at a military base.

You should all go watch Banshee, not just because it shows what you can accomplish on a limited budget (it rarely looks dated or B movie-ish in its action execution), but because Banshee is fuckin awesome.

My Dad constantly tells me to watch Banshee, says it's "the best show nobody knows about." Might have to sometime soon.

3 more replies

Banshee is one of the few shows I can repeatedly watch. Such a great show.

Is this that scene where they fight around and inside a car ? I have yet to watch the last season but fuck the first 3 seasons where good.
Some of the best fightscenes I've seen on TV. Hood against the Albino and the Boxer where just fucking brutal.

3 more replies

Yknow it just occoured to me this is the same guy that plays Neo in the Martix.... Huh.

What's it like waking up from a coma after 15 years? lol

I feel with all this attention he's getting and me not knowing for awhile that he was in one of my favorite movies, it makes me kinda sad not finding out sooner lol

It still amazes me that a film about a guy shooting dozens of people in the head because somebody killed his puppy is this kind of pop-culture phenomenon.

It's because of that straightforward and understandable simplicity that makes it a good action movie. For example Atomic blonde tried to have a much more complex espionage story and it degraded the good parts of the film.

But Bond movies also have complex espionage stories, as do other films. I think Atomic Blonde failed due to marketing. They tried to make it the female John Wick/Jason Bourne, but all it was was Charlize Theron smoking for half a movie and one cool sequence in a stairwell. Coupled with bad acting from the other actress in it.

3 more replies

2 more replies

they stole his car, too

...Oh.

45 points · 7 months ago · edited 7 months ago

It is what isn't told to you that is so compelling about it. Sure if you look at the surface it is about his puppy, but if you watch the movie you understand that it is so much more than that. That puppy was the last strand holding him to his new found morality and life, the last thing given to him by his now dead wife who meant enough to him that he took on an impossible task that immortalized him as the man you call when you need to kill the boogyman. A simple gift to us but to him it was his wife's last wish, that he stay on the right side of things and keep away from his void like past. It may have just seemed like a puppy, but in reality it was the only thing left in the world that he loved, the only friend he had left. And just like that his light was snuffed out, everything he had taken away in a matter of a month.

That is what makes it such an excellent movie, because so much is said with something so simple.

Don't forget the incredible possibilities with the lore of the universe. The continental is such a simple but effective way of opening up a huge cinematic universe with assassins and different stories from around the world because the continental is an international organisation, as seen in JW 2

4 more replies

Because after years of bad action movies like Taken with awful cinematography, shaky cam, actors who can't fight or jump a fence in one take, John Wick was finally a action movie with great hand to hand combat, good cinematography, high body count and an actor who actually can fight. Just like action/thriller classics like Hard Boiled, Old Boy (2003), Die Hard or The Raid

I think it's because the movie came out just at the right time using realistc fighting and gun control - today's audiences are tired of the fake shit. Because of this, the premise didn't really matter.

Keanu Reeves is a National Treasure

Canadian national treasure

1 more reply

I'd love to see this as an anthology series where each season focuses on a different assassin in the John Wick universe, with Lance Reddick and Ian McShane being regular supporting characters in each season.

Sploosh

Either a different assassin, or a different Continental, with new and old characters wandering in and out for jobs.

The Impossible Task: The Series

Twin PeaksOriginal Poster30 points · 7 months ago

Yeah, I’m thinking he’s back.

Holy shit I'm hyped, I know it's not only about John Wick, but The Continental is really cool and mysterious concept.

And if the fight scenes will be as good as in the movies? Damn.

And now I'm suspicious of all the Keanu posts that have been on the front page.

I definitely am interested in this, even if he isn't the lead, the John Wick Universe has so much potential to be explored. I definitely will be tuning in.

GLOW7 points · 7 months ago

Hm I dont know about this. I feel they will ruin this franchise like they did with taken.

3 more replies

After John Wick 2, what's the point?

Literally every person in the city is an assassin...

Or has been Wick'd...

No, just the folks following him, yes everyone in a scene seems like an assassin,but that's because every assassin is following John wick. Also don't think about it that much.

3 more replies

The Continental was my favorite part of the second film. I'm very excited about this show!

Waiting for the John Wick the Game, where you can make your own assassin and John Wick kills you

I know some people think this will be silly, but think about the tremendous supporting cast that John Wick had at the Continental (either as employees or hotel guests) in the first movie, almost exclusively comprised of TV actors. Ian McShane, Lance Reddick, Adrienne Palacki, Clarke Peters, Bridget Regan.

This could be real good if they can keep a few of those guys, have Keanu show up for brief cameos, and cast a few more good names.

Please, just don't be a prequel.

Considering Vigo's actor is dead, and is kinda really important for the mythos, I don't think it will be.

4 more replies

I was supposed to get a Dredd TV series. If that's still happening I hope this does too.

Was Karl Urban ever attached to the Dredd series? I really really liked his take on the character.

1 more reply

Hopefully this will give me my fix of Ian McShane now that American Gods season 2 production is going off the rails.

2 more replies

Nope. I like John Wick a lot, but this sounds like a dumb move

1 more reply

The problem is, unless they find someone like Keanu it's going to be trash. John Wick is good because of how it's shot, it's distance and long shots that are only allowed to happen because Keanu can actually do what he portrays.

Get ready for flashy cuts and quick takes.

1 more reply

Now I see why I've been seeing all those Keanu Reeves posts all over reddit lately.

They better get a plot.

The sequel suffered greatly from there being basically no reason for anyone's behavior.

Still haven't seen the second one yet but I loved the first.

The second one has a somewhat different feel to it, but it's every bit as good as the first in my book.

2 more replies

I am excited for everything about the universe John Wick is apart of. Even if Keanu isn't going to be in there, I'll watch for the cool world.

I could be wrong, but didn't wittertainee Simon Golding come up with the idea/first mention a TV spin off called The Continental?

This is a listeners email from Golding on Kermode and Mayo's film review.

This is Simon Mayo interviewing Reeves.

Email is read out at 11.00 minutes exactly.

Cool! I like the continental.

Well at this point he's gonna have to own a car dealership and breed puppies.

This is so cool. The universe was such a cool part of the Wick films, it made it really stand out from other similar action films (among other things of course, but none have unique worldbuilding like this)

What’s he attached with

We need more Keanu on TV!

John Wick is only good because of Keanu, I can’t imagine it being that good without him but I’ll give it a go

After the 3rd movie no more wick for me.

Keanu as the star in a John Wick series? Yes.

Keanu as a side character, or one off appearance in a John Wick Series? No.

1 more reply

They just gotta keep this show to the same standard as the movie.

No shaky cam scenes, give the actors the same time (maybe more) that Keanu had to be able to perform in front of the camera as a trained assassin.

Really interested in this and will be lookin for updates.

They're going to need a lot of pencils

141 more replies

Admins please fix markdown. ##A general discussion television community for news, user discussion, reviews, video clips and more. See our sidebar to check out our calendar which lists upcoming premieres for shows, specials and so on. We conduct a yearly survey on users' favorite shows which you can look at [here](https://i.imgur.com/NouwAaX.png). For an archive of premiere discussions, click [here](https://old.reddit.com/r/television/search?q=flair%3Apremiere&restrict_sr=on&sort=new&t=all).

r/television Rules
No spoilers
No piracy
No duplicate news/old news
No listicles
No political reporting except for late night shows
No bad/vague/false/misleading/etc. titles
Being uncivil to other users
Asking for a recommendation