Anthony Bourdain dead at 61, committed suicide

5.3k comments
Moderator of r/television, speaking officiallyScore hidden · 3 months ago · Stickied comment

Hi Everyone,

It's been a rough week. If you or someone you know is suicidal, please seek help.

Here are some resources:

Worldwide Directories

We know of two international lists that are maintained by reputable agencies:

Do be aware that there are a lot of online global hotline lists maintained privately by members of the public. Although these people usually mean well, the information on their sites is often outdated or incorrect.

United States

(The older number, 1-800-SUICIDE, is no longer published by the lifeline agency and will probably stop working in the near future.)

Unsure if you should reach out to a hotline?

If you are worried about reaching out through these hotlines for any reason, then please check out this FAQ which may address some of your concerns.

The above information comes from our friends over at /r/suicidewatch who maintain an excellent resource page that contains hotline numbers, chat lines, and more for countries around the world.

/r/suicidewatch mods do not welcome posts that are primarily to discuss/debrief celebrity suicides. The sub exists to provide help for redditors who are having a rough time. If you go there to offer help, read their rules because they have extremely strict guidelines.

Shamelessly taken from /r/news

What a loss, a shame..

I bumped into him once, we were waiting for the same early morning flight to Chicago, we were both rather tired and or prolly hungover, i was at least, he sat one seat over from me at the gate, and we didnt talk, just grunted and gave a nod every now and then while watching the news, someone tried to discretely take his picture and he smiled for em, then smirked at me.

He also smelled amazing and had really nice shoes.

I had read his book and am a huge fan of his shows, but i was hungover and he didnt seem in much better shape himself, so that was just a nice moment,and i will miss his shows.

Seemed like a legit guy.

Those moments are so much better then any normal celebrity to fan interaction. You interacted with him like you might any other tired stranger in the airport. Rather than a forced smile and a canned Thank you, you got to share a simple human experience with him. I think he probably really appreciated that.

Not to mention it’s a better story than saying you got a picture and shook his hand, and that was it. Thousands of people can tell that same story.

5 more replies

5.6k points · 3 months ago

This is terrible. He was one of my favorite TV personalities. Parts Unknown and all of his travel shows were so amazing- it always looked like he was really enjoying himself the whole time. He wasn't just a cook, he was a journalist and I don't think he gets enough credit for that.

RIP :(

By his own admission he was a cook, not a chef. Where he really stood out was as a writer. He wrote both fiction and non-fiction and was amazing at both.

He reached the top of the restaurant world.

Turned his hand to writing and was wonderful at it.

Then won awards for television presenting.

The world lost someone of immense, irreplaceable brilliance today.

18 more replies

Every cook strives to call themselves a chef one day. He was an incredible writer, I bought his book Appetites to cook all his thanksgiving recipes for my family last year and it was such a fun read. Like he was teaching you over your shoulder.

I think Anthony was just respecting the term 'Chef'. I'm called Chef all the time by friends and family, but I don't work in the industry anymore, and I just call myself a cook. I cook every day, sometimes way too much but I'll never call myself a Chef because I don't run a kitchen and to be an actual Chef requires hard work and dedication. That's all he was doing by calling himself a cook.

12 more replies

His episode about New England is heavy. All about the heroin epidemic there. It’s probably my favorite episode

My favorite is his episode in lebanon when the war broke out. Watched more No Reservations than Parts Unknown but will check that one out.

Parts Unknown is definitely different from No Reservations, but it's still an amazing body of work. I love that he looks at humanity in a more personal level in Parts Unknown than in No Reservation, where it was about the big picture. He combined that big picture with the personal touch in his Parts Unknown.

Band of Brothers74 points · 3 months ago · edited 3 months ago

That episode was insane, forever one of the most memorable ones. Probably the most danger he had been in on the show, too.

9 more replies

My favorite was the one where they were in Lebanon when the war started. Really captured life for the average citizen in a war zone, and the growing fear of "Fuck. We might not be able to get out of here..."

Glad they had the sense to keep the tape rolling and capture the story.

33 more replies

I think he did enjoy himself, at least to some degree. Being suicidal doesn‘t necessarily mean that you can‘t find enjoyable things. But at some point life can just get too unbearable, having enjoyable things or not.

15 more replies

I loved all his episodes with Zamir the most.

Will be missed dearly.

1 more reply

He's one of the reasons I became a chef, he's also one of the reasons I travel and want to meet the people who inhabit this world. It really tears me up knowing his passed and in such a way. :(

39 more replies

3.2k points · 3 months ago · edited 3 months ago

His Lyon episode is the reason I’m in Lyon right now. I will definitely miss him.

Just want to add my favorite quotes from him. This is definitely worth a read:

Everywhere I travel I always have to look up any episode he's done there.

I'm going to Borneo this fall because of his episode there. He always really captured what a location was like.

And he showed how you can chill in that location and take it in the way a local would.

Without bribing a local with beers to find out what the locals do.

Most importantly to me, he humanized the world. He laughed, drank, and ate with all kinds of people. He absolutely respected the hell out of everyone he's ever met whether he understood them or not.

To me, he showed that the world can be a pleasant place and not a big scary monster we're conditioned to think all the time.

Not sure if you’re American or not. But i think it’s worth mentioning how much of an ambassador of US culture he was as well. Detroit, Huston, Pittsburg, West Virginia, Utah, LA, Maine. He humanized the people of America so much, and how much the poor forgotten people of these lands should be celebrated in earnest.

7 more replies

Seinfeld46 points · 3 months ago

I passed by Tokyo's Albatross Bar on his recommendation. Tiny dive but worth every moment.

:S

12 more replies

His book Kitchen Confidential is what inspired me to train as a chef 18 years ago. Devastating.

RIP Chef.

It’s funny, Kitchen Confidential is what made me realize I didn’t have the spirit to become a chef. He laid out that whole world in such fantastic, gritty detail, I recognized I didn’t have what it takes. I was working as a dishwasher at the time, and he allowed me to come to terms with the fact that the industry was not for me in the long run.

Regardless, I read all his books and followed him on No Reservations and Parts Unknown relentlessly. A wonderful, wonderful man who will be missed. RIP Tony

10 more replies

1 more reply

The Lyon episode was a perfect ode to amazing food. I've never seen anything like it.

7 more replies

There’s something wonderful about drinking in the afternoon. A not-too-cold pint, absolutely alone at the bar.

I've read elsewhere that he had previous drug problems?

He was a heroin addict. He thought he could continue to drink instead. Maybe it had nothing to do with it, but cross addiction is very real in recovering people. It is why it is always advised to remain completely clean and sober from all mind-altering substances when you've come out of a death spiral like heroin addiction.

9 more replies

41 more replies

9.0k points · 3 months ago

Man this caught me off guard. I'm at a loss

3.3k points · 3 months ago · edited 3 months ago

Besides all the things people have said so far (leaving behind his young daughter, how unexpected it was), the thing that really digs into me is that Eric Ripert found him.

They were long, long time friends. They were filming yet another bromance episode together. And he was the one to find him in his hotel room.

So much sadness for everyone involved. Just terrible...

Ya, it's odd timing for sure. His birthday was around the corner too. I don't know,... don't really want to know. Just sucks...

Birthdays and other holidays can be a really looming and shit thing if you're depressed.

I came to this realization when my dad sort of broke down on his 70th birthday. He was supposed to meet my girlfriend that day and we were going to treat him to a nice dinner. He said it hit him how old he was getting, how fast life has moved, and how much he was scared.

We cried for a couple hours instead together... That was a tough day and I worry for him when December rolls around.

This is me now, I'm only 42 though

I just turned 30 and I feel like I’ve wasted my 20s staying at a job that was meaningful to society but not for myself. When I watched no reservation episode of Hong Kong I knew I had to go. When I went I did almost everything he did in that episode from eating the hand made noodles to riding the star ferry over and over again. Anthony Bourdain changed my life and brought meaning into who I am and what I truly love about life. I feel like he was about to relate with anyone in this world even if they have opposite views from himself. I miss him so much....

Dude, you wasted not a single thing. I just turned 30 in march as well. I sadly spent my 20s in and out of prison while drinking to oblivion. Im better now though and now im engaged and just bought a house. We all take time to get where we need to go, but I know you'll get there.

12 more replies

I’m 35 and I feel that way too. I swear I was 16 last week. I miss living at home and being a kid. It’s so upsetting.

22 more replies

13 more replies

33 more replies

Birthdays can be super fucking rough. Like They used to be fun and cool but as I inch closer to the middle of my life, they just get more depressing.

Time starts moving faster and faster and you start to feel like you're just wasting your time. The memories of all the stupid shit you've done piles up and haunts you. It feels like everything is for nothing and you'll probably die horribly without dignity anyway.

289 points · 3 months ago · edited 3 months ago

I just had my 37th birthday and I can relate to the sentiment of stupid memories piling up and everything seeming like it's for nothing. Some things that have helped me are:

1. This essay by Albert Camus.

2. Learning to focus on the moment. Like specifically, become as aware as possible of what you are doing, what the room smells like, what does it feel like to be sitting/standing/lying down? What textures can you feel? What aches? Don't think about past failures or future worries. Find an object nearby, even one you've interacted with a million times, and just look at it. Discover something new.

It's a great way to not only slow down time but it can also really help me to feel appreciation for just how amazing the human body/mind is at taking in information from the world and processing it so that the conciousness can understand it.

3) Allowing yourself to find joy in stupid things.

I used to feel guilty about all the time I spend playing video games but I finally realized I play games because I like them so I should just enjoy the time I play them. I have a job, I take moderately good care of my health, I don't have to spend every waking hour being productive. I can enjoy being idle for a few hours playing Overwatch and not feel guilty and like I should die because the world would be better off with a lazy POS like me.

Telling myself it's okay to enjoy a thing has been really helpful in not feeling so guilty and depressed whenever I do that thing.

4) Realizing that no matter what happens when we die (heaven, nothing, waking up from a simulation, reincarnation, etc) this is my only chance to be me. No matter what this version of me will never exist on this plane of existence again. Even when my life is shit and all I can think about is ending it, it is a unique opportunity to experience these things.

5) Finding a therapist I like and getting on meds.

First I'll acknowledge that I'm incredibly lucky that I have a job with good insurance that affords me the ability to do this. I did not thave insurance from 18-35 and I had to deal with my anxiety and depression as best I could. It took me until about 6 months ago to find a therapist I like and it wasn't until things got really really bad that I finally was willing to give meds a try.

I'll also acknowledge that being on meds is part of what make 1-4 as effective as they are for me but I honestly think that those things are also part of why I lived long enough to get on meds and be as okay as I am now.

I still have bad days and their are still days when I struggle to function. But the thoughts of suicide are almost non-existent now and even if I'm not "happy" every day I feel pretty content for the most part and I'm very grateful for that.

Anyways, sorry to rant/reply. Not sure if any of this is helpful or just annoying. Your sentiment about getting older felt familiar and so I wanted to share my experience.

Hope your Friday goes well and you're able to find a little joy today.

edit: fixed some typos

17 more replies

11 more replies

Comment deleted3 months ago(47 children)
492 points · 3 months ago · edited 3 months ago

Astute comment.

I'm sure that admitting this will net me downvotes as it's ugly and gauche, but I struggle with suicidal ideation due to chronic illness and even when I'm in "good" phases where my mental health is more stable, meds are working on both physical and mental levels, and I've had several functional days in a row, I still have this invasive, deep-down reaction of jealousy when I hear about someone dying. Not jealousy if the mourning or attention or the other social aftereffects: jealousy of the death itself. It's like there's this subconscious part of me that wishes my survival instinct wasn't as strong so I could just give in and just... rest. Stop. Release. I know it's a disordered, invasive thought - as well as completely illogical - but it still happens.

Hearing about suicides can exacerbate that feeling - I'm jealous of their being able to take the final step that I (sometimes) feel I should, I'm jealous of their release from living. In its own way, if I were in the wrong frame of mind, it could easily be as you said and feel like an encouragement.

You always hear about an uptick in suicides after a celebrity kills themselves, and I wonder if I'm alone in my reaction or if it's what others feel too and they're just hitting their limit of temptation based on seeing someone else give in. Bourdain admits to having struggled with ideation himself so I do wonder if Kate Spade's death had a similar effect on him.

But such a reaction is hard to own up to, even in therapy, so elevated danger/crisis in response to these kinds of invasive thoughts is extremely stealthy :(

ETA: I'm thankful to the people replying confirming that this happens to them too - I probably didn't express it well enough at the end there but part of the reason I feel like this particular thing can be such an insidious/stealth danger sign is because it goes against pretty much every social norm that you're supposed to feel in response to death... so when you experience it, it can feel shameful and isolating. For me at least, knowing that it's a symptom for others as well makes it easier to admit to and talk about, and it's my hope that others reading this who share this experience have that same feeling and realize that it's something they can admit to their therapist or doctor without being afraid or ashamed.

You’re not alone, and I’m glad that it’s not just me

You aren’t alone, dear redditor. My father, myself and my eldest daughter all have to deal with daily intrusive thoughts of suicide. I know your pain and jealousy personally. Should you ever need to talk to someone that will help you find a silver lining in your day pls pm me. Our survival instincts will help us beat back the nasty thoughts, especially with the help of those around us that understand.

26 more replies

18 more replies

306 points · 3 months ago · edited 3 months ago

People are reporting his GF Asia was just outted for cheating on him. He was crazy about her. His fans saw her as something not good in his life.

How true is that? If so that’s heartbreaking. Tony has never had the most stable love life even after going clean, given he’s had two ex wife’s. He also vehemently supported her in the wake of the whole MeToo movement and when she recently made a speech at Cannes about that

Yesterday some European tabloid posted photos of her and a French journalist holding hands. Asia made some nasty comments on IG and Twitter that she since deleted.

What were the comments? I saw a video of her wearing a shirt that said "Fuck everyone" with the caption "You know who you are"

12 more replies

48 more replies

5 more replies

I did not know this.

Ripert found him?

My god. Seriously. I can't imagine what it would be like to find your good friend like that. If I take one moment and try to put myself in Mr. Ripert's place, and imagine it's one of my good friends, I just feel dread. Actually having it happen must be another level of horrible.

Eric Ripert found him.

God damn, that sucks.

I am so sad for Eric. I can't believe this happened. Also for his daughter Arianne, Asia, and Ottavia.

24 more replies

I hadn't looked at Reddit in over a week. This was the top article when I opened the app. I don't idolize celebrities, ever. This guy though, he really was a hero of mine. He gave me a while new perspective on not just food but my life and how I was living it. This is seriously the most depressing thing I've seen in a long time, concerning a celebrity. Damn...

I literally just watched an episode of Parts Unknown last night. I've been trying to cram them in before Netflix takes them away on the 16th. It's so bizarre and sad...

This is exactly what i have been doing. Saw 1 episode a few months back and have been hooked. Fantastic guy, great show, man I have never in my life been this upset about someone i have never met. He was my hero, he overcame so much, looked to be enjoying life. He taught me life experiences matter more than material objects.

It’s funny, the only other celebrity I’ve been this upset by his passing was Chester Bennington. But that was more for nostalgic reasons. That was more because of who I used to be. This feeling of loss is because of who I am now...

Such a true statement. Chester got me through my saddened years of late middle and early high school. I remember coming home depressed, not wanting to go back the next say.

But Bourdain was teaching me to spread my wings.

Much love to you my friend.

14 more replies

24 more replies

59 more replies

12.2k points · 3 months ago · edited 3 months ago

His daughter is 11 years old. Absolutely heartbreaking.

6.1k points · 3 months ago

I feel like your pain must have to be incredible to take your own life when you have a child, especially one that age. I can't imagine how much you would have to be hurting such that your parental instincts are overridden. Anthony was obviously in more pain than most people, if anybody, knew.

Exactly. I was 16 when my dad killed himself, and he had expressed over several years how he was trying to hold out for the sake of his children. But eventually, it became unbearable and being a parent was no longer enough of a reason to stick around.

No kid should have to deal with this at any age, but 10/11 seems like an especially challenging age for it. She's old enough to understand, but not really old enough to understand.

My daughters were 18, 17 & 15 when my husband committed suicide. Our family was ripped apart. Still is. I’m so sorry for your loss. And theirs. And mine. It is so hard. This is the first time I wrote about him. His name was Thomas.

Im so sorry for your loss. You're an extremely strong person. I hope you have a wonderful day and an extraordinary week.

With tears running down my cheeks, thank you.

I am so sorry for that. I hope Thomas is at peace. This is truly heartbreaking.

20 more replies

What was he like?

He identified himself as a musician who was a plumber by day to pay the bills. Lol Seriously talented and those gifts are evident in our girls. Just yesterday my youngest daughter asked for a picture of his guitar because she missed him. I’m keeping the guitar safe for her when she has her own place. It’s a bird’s eye maple Ovation for the curious. :)

19 more replies

I'm sorry you and your girls had to go through that :(

31 more replies

I'm 35 and I don't think I'm really old enough to understand.

I'm sorry for you and your dad.

1 more reply

I was 6 when my dad killed himself. My brother was 10. It was extremely hard on my brother because he was able to really understand what happened. I really didn't get it and I just remember being confused why everyone was so sad and scared to talk to me.

I’m sorry for your loss. My dad killed himself last summer. Even at 31 it’s difficult to understand.

23 more replies

I was 14 when my mom took herself out, and the big problem I had was that I felt like such a piece of shit for being relieved and even glad that I didn't have to deal with that crazy bitch anymore. Took over 20 years, when I approached her age at death, for me to begin to understand her pain and forgive her for being a terrible mother and to forgive myself for my feelings about it.

Just recently I have been connected with a 15 year old girl whose mother killed herself last Christmas eve. The *first* thing I asked her when she agreed to talk to me about the trauma was "is there any chance that you have feelings like relief or gladness about her death?" She hesitated for just a moment and said "yes, she was mean and a drunk and a drug addict and nobody outside the house knew." Fortunately, this girl is in therapy and already has a professional to tell her that those are valid emotions and she is fine to have them, but she was so relieved to meet someone else who had felt the same way and was not, in fact, a piece of shit.

4 more replies

I was thinking that too. That might be the worst age for something like this to happen. Old enough to remember everything in detail, but not old enough to have the emotional tools to deal with it. Not to mention the age right before puberty and some of the most vulnerable years of a person's life.

I'm sorry about your dad, I'm sure it's not easy at any age.

25 more replies

8.2k points · 3 months agoGilded1 · edited 3 months ago

A quote by David Foster Wallace about how painful it can be to live with depression.

“The so-called ‘psychotically depressed’ person who tries to kill herself doesn’t do so out of quote ‘hopelessness’ or any abstract conviction that life’s assets and debits do not square. And surely not because death seems suddenly appealing. The person in whom Its invisible agony reaches a certain unendurable level will kill herself the same way a trapped person will eventually jump from the window of a burning high-rise. Make no mistake about people who leap from burning windows. Their terror of falling from a great height is still just as great as it would be for you or me standing speculatively at the same window just checking out the view; i.e. the fear of falling remains a constant. The variable here is the other terror, the fire’s flames: when the flames get close enough, falling to death becomes the slightly less terrible of two terrors. It’s not desiring the fall; it’s terror of the flames. And yet nobody down on the sidewalk, looking up and yelling ‘Don’t!’ and ‘Hang on!’, can understand the jump. Not really. You’d have to have personally been trapped and felt flames to really understand a terror way beyond falling.”

2.7k points · 3 months ago

For anyone that doesn't know DFW killed himself in 2008. Adding considerable weight to this quote.

1.6k points · 3 months ago · edited 3 months ago

He was also incredibly violent and his suicide- and this frequently reposted quote- completely overshadows that. This guy stalked and beat Mary Karr, and even followed her son home from school once.

This was openly acknowledged by his own biographer.

This wasn’t some normal, brilliant guy who just suffered from depression.

Edit: seems like most of the replies are just arguing for the sake of arguing. We know he was mentally ill. We also know that doesn’t justify his actions. My underlying point was that his victims are often forgotten because he killed himself, and if you want evidence of it, just look at all the following comments trying to explain or justify his behaviour.

621 points · 3 months ago · edited 3 months ago

Yeah I almost mentioned that. He was a terrible person.

Edit: this comment chain blew up. He may have been terrible because he was mentally ill. This was a low effort comment, don’t read too much into it.

I have read Infinite Jest though. So if anyone wants to give me a medal for that, I’ll accept.

124 more replies

111 more replies

18 more replies

One of my parents killed themselves and left no note and this really helps so thanks.

Same here. I hope you were able to find some peace. It's hard for me sometimes, still, and it's been almost 6 years.

Comment deleted3 months ago(16 children)

16 more replies

11 more replies

This is the one allegory that comes closest to describing depression. It's not feeling sad, it's not crying because something bad happened in your life. It's more like a constant background noise with only one purpose: to strip you and your life from everything good, to leave you naked and afraid 24/7, to convince you that nothing matters, no one cares and you should probably find a way out. Any way.

Being a celebrity, having children, being rich, being loved and adored by millions of people, all that stuff doesn't really enter into the equation.

This Hollywood idea that insurmountable horror can suddenly be surmounted once you remember that some person exists that you love and that loves you is bullshit. Sometimes depression becomes so overwhelming and all-encompassing that you only have two options: suicide or checking into a psychiatric facility. And for some people, the latter option simply isn't one.

It's a goddamn Dementor hovering over your shoulder while you struggle to do dishes, feed yourself, and force small talk with friends.

6 more replies

It's a hideous eclipse passing over you. It may end eventually, but you know there will be others.

Way too accurate. I don’t want to die. I just don’t want to be alive.

65 more replies

Or instead on unbearable pain you just have a bad moment when your control just slips. You feel depressed for long but remember the ones you love and manage to keep it in check but then have that one moment at exactly the wrong time when it all just feels like it crashes on you and there's no one right there and then to pull you back.

I've heard a few survior's of attempted suicide say that their state of mind was that everyone else was in pain because of them. And leaving would release all of their pain, and the world would be a better place without them. It's hard for those of us left behind to understand the mentality of someone in that deep of a depression, thinking that everyone else is better off without them.

We tend to label it as such a selfish act, because we can't fathom that mental state at all. When from their point of view, it's a selfless act, to save everyone else from the pain they feel because of that individual.

Hopefully the stigma of depression and seeking help for mental health keeps dwindling, and more people are able to reach out and get the help they need.

As someone who's been very close recently, I can reaffirm that you're right on the money there. You feel literally worthless, like a massive burden on the world. You feel like you're doing the world a favour by removing something awful from it.

You convince yourself that the world would be unaffected by your death, that people won't really care all that much.

I can imagine a parent with demons like drug addictions, for an example, could convince themselves that their child is better off without them.

305 points · 3 months ago · edited 3 months ago

This.. is exactly what I feel. I'm desperately trying to find reasons why people would want me here only to conclude there is none. I think they would mourn for a year and move on with their lives, which actually makes me happy.

Edit:

I'm really grateful for all the responses. I've recently sought help because one of my friends committed suicide and i felt that my end was also coming. And to ease the worry of other redditor's, I have no plans to commit suicide.

So as for why I think I'm feeling depressed. My parents have given me so much support and resources for me to do well, but I'm not able to give something in return and continuously disappointing everyone around me. Everytime I fail they respond with that I can do better and that I should keep trying, but I'm tired of trying.. trying.. and trying, always having to tell them I failed again. I know I have to go on, but the guilt is destroying me from inside. The shame of failures led to isolation and now my social network is pretty much dead. Currently, everyday I wake up I feel like a parasite where people have wasted there time, money and effort on. You can probably guess that my confidence and self-esteem is pretty crappy through all this.

As for someone to talk to, my friends are similar like the earlier described post and view suicide as cowardice and loath that people might actually consider it, which makes it hard for me to breach this subject with them.

Anyway, it was good for me to let it out . I'm happy if it caught someone's interest. At the very least, I hope I am able to do that.

You need to know that this is entirely your perception, or the perception of your depression. You can't come up wihh reasons because they're not your reasons. People want you around, you don't get to decide how They feel about You.

Sorry this turned out longer than intended but please read:

I was there 19years ago. I tried and ended up in ICU for days but made it through. I was 17 and when I mixed over 300 pills with vodka I just thought I would lift a burden of everyone around me. That they would feel better once the shock had worn off and that their lives would be better without me in it.

I ended up in an inpatient place for 3 months in which I did not see my family, I could not as I was ashamed but I also knew that if I did not really work on why I was in so much pain all the time.

It took me a while but I got through it. I am still here 19 years later and currently I am going to see the love of my life daily in an inpatient place as he just sat on our bed one day after spending the day trying to get help (he had noticed something was not right with him) and he looked at me and just said “I tried to get help, that didn’t work. Now I will kill myself” yesterday during my visit he was crying and begging me to let him die.

I now know how my family felt 19 years ago. He didn’t see me for 2 days and it tore me apart. I know he is in a form of hell right now but he will get through this. It might just take time but he will smile again.

He makes me a better person, i feel alive when I am around him. I was always very guarded around ppl but he just broke through every wall and gave me the feeling of being home.

No matter how bad you think things are there is always at least one person that loves you and whose life you make better on a level that they might not express verbally but that person is there.

Please talk to someone you trust or call a hotline to talk about what’s going on

1 more reply

That's the nature of the beast. (Depression)

You're not right, because the very fact you're thinking of others before you means you're a better person than most. You would be missed.

The chemical imbalance wreaking havoc on your mental state are responsible for that line of thinking.

It seems scary to get medical help, but there's nothing wrong with doing so.

Dude, i would be pretty upset if you killed your self and ive known you for like 20 seconds on reddit. Imagine how the people in your life would feel. Just becauss your depression makes you think no one cares about you, doesnt mean thats actually true. A couple of months ago my friends friends dad commited suicide, i barely new him (met him mabey twice before) but it still shocked everyone and it still makes us sad even now. Please get help dude.

4 more replies

Felt the same way 15 years ago for about 4 years. I made a choice. I left a letter on my desk... if someone finds it and confronts me, someone cares. If not... well I don’t belong and would end it that night.

Long story short, my mom was “cleaning” my room that day and found the letter. She saw me, gave me a hug, started to cry and asked me why? With her by my side, I started to get help. Meds, excersise, etc. and I don’t feel like that anymore.

I now have two little girls and a family to take care of and I’m happy.

What I’m trying to say is... talk to someone. Talk to someone who you trust and tell them exactly how you feel. I know this isn’t much from an internet stranger, but life DOES get better and you never know what the future entails.

If you ever want to talk, please PM me.

6 more replies

Have you reached out for help? You don't have to go through this alone.

7 more replies

Anyone who would mourn you would absolutely prefer that you stay in this world with them instead of mourning you! Please reach out and get help. 1-800-273-8255

13 more replies

If it's your own pain you're seeking to end, then I support anyone's right to make that decision, but please, please don't try to justify taking your own life by assuming you'll remove a burden from those around you. I speak from experience when I say all you do is trade one burden for another, and those you leave behind do not mourn and then move on with their lives. The pain never goes away for those left behind. They just learn how to live with it after enough time, but they always feel it and always feel like they failed the person who committed suicide.

Please talk to someone, and be completely honest about yourself when you do.

2 more replies

I´ve been there as well. Reach out for help, talk to people about it and go see a therapist, if you can afford one or live in a country that pays for one. There is /r/suicidewatch as well and /r/Casual_Conversation if you just want to get some thing off your chest. You can make it out of this place. And if you want to talk feel free to just message me.

People never fully move on. There would be occasions where friends or family think "I wish Moliew was here to see this". They would really miss you. Please let them know how you're feeling, it won't be easy but people will be there for you. It's too late after the act.

68 more replies

28 more replies

^ My dad's PTSD episode when I was going into my senior year. Been depressed for a long time and in therapy for PTSD for a long time. Kind of just snapped irrationally one day and said he was leaving. We all stopped him at the door and he said he would've been on the way to drive off a bridge if we hadn't stopped him. 1 out of 2 times I've seen my dad cry in my 22 years of living.

Depression is a bitch, man.

I’ve been there as well, but no one was around except my dog. She saved my life, and I mean that in the sincerest way. I love my children more than anything, but for that brief moment none of that mattered. My dog came and laid her head on my lap and wouldn’t leave my side the whole night. PTSD is like the bad relationship that you can’t bring yourself to leave. You find ways to make it work, but always wonder in the back of your mind when you’ll reach your breaking point.

I think a lot of people underestimate the power of love for animals when someone's in that sort of mental state. Myself included, I've known many people who would say their love for their pet was the thing that kept them on earth, even when they had children.

Granted, I don't have kids, but I can still hypothesize about the thought process from conversations I've had. Kids grow up. Doesn't matter how young they are, or who they're going to be left with after you end it. They'll grow up and eventually learn to take care of themselves, and one day someone will explain what you did, and they'll understand the concept of depression and death and self harm and suicide. They won't be happy, but they'll learn to take care of themselves, in time.

An animal won't. Where somewhere along the line a child will turn into an adult and understand death, your animal will only see 'they're not here', and no one will be able to explain to them you're not there to feed and take care of and love them anymore. They won't and never will get it. They always have and always will rely on you for survival.

Again, it's a shitty thing to do regardless, but the general idea that 'one day you'll understand' doesn't apply to both seems like the reason a lot of people hold on.

4 more replies

A couple of years ago I was in his shoes.

Had the noose ready and all when I got a fluke call from my oldest son.

Therapy and meds help folks! I not good yet, but way better now.

16 more replies

A few years ago I had a break down and was planning to kill myself. Had the rope around my neck, put all my weight on it, as things started to go fuzzy I saw my dads face (we were on different sides of the world) and he said ‘what the hell are you doing?’ I cried for the rest of the night and called a help line. I felt so much better the next day. I still have bad ocd, anxiety, and depression and it’s been especially bad lately, but I’m struggling through and I’m aware of when I’m getting to that point. Sometimes the idea of sliding into a nice warm bath and slitting my wrists sounds so peaceful but I know I won’t do it. For one, it would destroy my parents.

8 more replies

11 more replies

This seems like exactly the correct reasoning. Aisling Bea, an Irish comedian, talked about it in her article about her dad committing suicide when she was 3. Really helps me make sense of it.

68 points · 3 months ago · edited 3 months ago

That was a good article. The letter at the end is perfect and I like this bit from the start:

“You look so like your father,” they would say. And as much as people might think a teenage girl wants to be told that she looks like a dead man, she doesn’t.

2 more replies

This is why suicide prevention is about small interventions.

Pills in blister packaging instead of in a bottle. Gun in a locked safe rather than in the open. Platform barrier (even waist height) in front of the train tracks.

Oh you mean pills you could overdose on, and not anti-depressants. I was about to say nothing makes me not want to take a pill more than blister packs.

This, sometimes stopping to think about the smallest of obstacles will bring you out of the drive to die.

8 more replies

I used to have severe depression and this is pretty accurate.

13 more replies

40 more replies

Mental health is serious business. In that moment, you don’t have the perspective to realize your pain can be dealt with. You just know that in that moment, it’s intolerable, and it can lead you to make terrible decisions.

12 more replies

170 more replies

My fiancé was 11 when his dad committed suicide. That pain will never go away; even with dealing with it healthily, it is damaging.

22 more replies

WTF

80 more replies

173 more replies

I’m speechless. What a shame. I’ve always been a fan of his books and shows, and looked up to him as a chef. You just never know what a person is struggling with. So sad for his daughter.

I'm speechless too, love his TV shows.

Wonder how much Twitter affected his decision. I follow him on Twitter and he would reply/retweet some really awful tweets directed to him, people calling him awful names and insulting him daily. We all saw how August Ames took her own life because of twitter cyber-bullying.

Unfortunate that instead of recognizing that every individual has struggles, people feel compelled to knock those they perceive as being above them down a peg or two. Money, talent and fame do not grant a magical immunity to pain and suffering. To live is to suffer, regardless of what you think somebody else has that you don't. Let's make it easier on each other as much as we can.

This just makes me so sad. The worst part is that the wide exposure and hubbub surrounding celebrity suicide tends to lead to a surge in suicides within the general population.

12 more replies

21 more replies

“Travel isn't always pretty. It isn't always comfortable. Sometimes it hurts, it even breaks your heart. But that's okay. The journey changes you; it should change you. It leaves marks on your memory, on your consciousness, on your heart, and on your body. You take something with you. Hopefully, you leave something good behind.”

• Anthony Bourdain

Thank you for inspiring me. From your books to your shows you have truly expanded my view of the world like no one else ever has.

Your books challenged me to question the status quo; to ask hard questions and not be afraid of making a few waves.

Your shows let me walk in the shoes of hundreds of people from around the world. Sure, in the beginning I was just in it for the “food porn”; the piles of delicious, regional perfection that you had the pleasure of wolfing down everywhere you went, but in the end that wasn’t why I was watching. I was watching to see the world through another lense. To understand and empathize with those whose cultures are so different from my own. To recognize and be moved by situations I am too scared to go see for myself. I was watching to see the threads of every little square on this giant quilt that is humanity; and you took me there.

At some point, you said something along the lines of “every time we walk in someone else’s shoes, the world becomes a better place”. Well, Tony, I can’t imagine the blisters you had from those thousands of pairs of shoes that you metaphorically wore in your travels, but I can tell you this; the world is a better place for having had you in it and I can say without reserve that you most certainly left a whole lot of good behind.

We’re going to miss you. Cheers.

I made it to your post without tearing up, now I am.

Rest in peace Anthony, missing you already.

5 more replies

1.0k points · 3 months ago

Grew up watching him. Opened my eyes to so many different types of cuisine. Made me really appreciate different cultures.

I feel like watching Anthony Bourdain helped me transition from a stupid teen into whatever adult thing I am now, I just can't believe he's gone.

9 more replies

Unbelievably heartbreaking news. Anthony taught multiple generations about travel, food, and culture, and what it means to fully appreciate and experience all walks of life in one's lifetime. I know many of us can agree our lives would not be as fulfilling if it weren't for the tips and advice Bourdain gave us—watching all of his shows before our international (and domestic!) trips. The news of his death is truly heartbreaking.

RIP to a true rockstar. Here are some his reddit AMAs from 2016 and 2013

Holy shit. That comment about his daughter makes me sad :(

Wow, I don’t know what to say

10 more replies

Incredible sad reading through the last AMA, especially when he talks about his 9 year old daughter and wanting to live long enough to get to her eye rolling stage. Awful.

10 more replies

2.2k points · 3 months ago · edited 3 months ago

I'm just at a loss for words.

Edit: It was a death by hanging. That just makes it worse.

Yeah I figured heart attack or something but when I read that he took his own life, it made this news such much more depressing.

Yeah, Reading the headline, I thought to myself that his past and the substance abuse caught up to him. But this is even more devastating

What's even more sad is if you've seen more recent episodes he says regularly how he doesn't really drink when he isn't on the show, and he did jujitsu all the time and was getting in really good shape...

You also have to keep in mind he would travel for the show close to 300 days a year.

22 more replies

5 more replies

If he died from organ failure or something in that vein, I feel like people would applaud his life and cheer about how he lived a very happy, respectful, fulfilling life where he had the best job in the world and how he never took things for granted after making it big. But this... this is so heavy. I cannot believe it. And Eric Ripert found his body.

When I read that Eric was the one that found him, I was even more heartbroken. They were clearly the best of friends and I can’t even begin to imagine what that feeling must have been. And poor Ariane. I know in the Massachusetts episode of Parts Unknown, Tony talked about how he had always felt like some part of him was missing, which makes me wonder if he’s battled depression his entire life.

I never met him, but he was my hero and I am just wrecked by this.

4 more replies

My first thought when I read the headline was that Eric was going to be devastated. To actually fucking find your own friend like that though, I can’t even imagine

8 more replies

Oh no. Just like Robin Williams. Dude, this is awful. I had literally no idea that he struggled with depression. He always just seemed like this super cool, world-hopping punk rock chef. Just travelling to the far corners of the Earth, getting wasted on exotic booze and eating these crazy obscure foods that looked amazing with an endless array of old and new friends. Everybody loves Anthony Bourdain. Shit, man. I can't believe it.

391 points · 3 months ago · edited 3 months ago

He was pretty upfront with his struggles with depression and substance abuses if they ever came up. IIRC it was the birth of his daughter that got him clean and seeking help for his depression. It’s sad that he ended up this way. He’s been a huge influence on my love of travel and food culture.

Edit: It was smoking he quit for his daughter. He has been clean since the 1980s when he got off heroin.

there was a great new yorker article on him last year, but it did seem apparent he wasn't all that well. https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2017/02/13/anthony-bourdains-moveable-feast

The kind of care and feeding required of friends, I’m frankly incapable of. I’m not there. I’m not going to remember your birthday. I’m not going to be there for the important moments in your life. We are not going to reliably hang out, no matter how I feel about you. For fifteen years, more or less, I’ve been travelling two hundred days a year. I make very good friends a week at a time

😢

I haven’t read the article, but he wrote something similar as to why him and his ex wife (with whom he had his daughter) got divorced. They loved each other but he was gone 200+ days a year and it wasn’t fair to her to not have a partner to share her life with.

5 more replies

5 more replies

130 more replies

This was just really unexpected. I'm just really fucking sad. I love Parts Unknown and No Reservations. His shows were just so damn enjoyable and interesting. This is probably the biggest blow because I really don't care for any other travel shows without him in it.

4 more replies

What is your source it was death by hanging?

36 more replies

39 more replies

This just took the wind out of me. His perspective was so refreshing and inspiring. I learned so much from his book, from his shows, and from his other writing. A huge influence on how we all eat.

6 more replies

Holy shit, this feels awful.

Actually, I don't even think awful describes how I feel right now.

I just recently started binge watching Parts Unknown on Netflix, coming from No Reservations. I always loved the way he could word his views on life, cooking, and the world we live in.

Bourdain really changed the way I looked at my existence, and I will miss him dearly.

241 points · 3 months ago · edited 3 months ago

This one has hit me harder than any celebrity death. He was my role model and an inspiration. I live outside of the United States and thrill-chase by traveling frequently emulating his experiences. I've been having a bit of a rough time lately emotionally, feeling directionless and as if my life is not in the order that it should be. It worries me that someone I aspired to be like, who seemed to have it all, could still be battling with depression and unhappiness in the shadows. The human experience can weigh so heavily and it shakes my foundation.

7 more replies

2.2k points · 3 months ago · edited 3 months ago

“The suicides of Anthony Bourdain and Kate Spade this week are a reminder: No matter how successful, wealthy or seemingly happy you are, we all battle our own demons. Reach out to one another. Destigmatize depression, addiction and anxiety. We are all in this together.” - Chris Cillizza

Avicci was just less than 2 months ago, too. It's a sobering reminder.

And Verne troyer as well

8 more replies

Chester Bennington, and Chris Cornell were just last year. It's crazy that it seems like more famous people are dying by suicide than natural causes.

It's also really sad because there's a lot of people out there dealing with suffocating depression that look up to these people. So when they take their life, what do you think the people also suffering are going think? If they couldn't make it through their depression with all their Fame and Fortune how is Joe Schmo supposed to make it?

It's just a sad cycle.

69 more replies

16 more replies

And Scott Hutchison of Frightened Rabbit. Much less well known, but his suicide a few weeks ago has cut me harder than anything in recent memory. He was a soul who preached about how it's okay to be sad sometimes, and that you should talk to people about how you're feeling — but even that didn't quell his demons. Talking to people is one thing, getting actual medical help is another.

4 more replies

It's a crying shame it takes famous people committing suicide to make people think. The suicide rate for normal people has increased significantly.

It’s hard to relate to statistics. It’s easy to relate to human beings.

7 more replies

11 more replies

It’s so baffling...is depression really so common now? We really need to talk more about it...

I personally think human beings are struggling to adapt to the world we now live in. There is so much damned pressure. It’s not natural

We've got an unprecedented ability to see bad things we can do nothing about.

Also have unprecedented access to other people's lives. And that can be both good and bad. Now people can be happy sharing new things, but at the same time, the platform gives 24/7 access to anyone you want to torment. Humans are social, but not everyone is ok with that amount of access to everything. Sometimes people just want to have the world shut up for a minute.

13 more replies

Yes. It is. People don’t want to talk about it, and they make you feel like you’re “just having a bad day. Snap out of it.”

I do want to talk about it, but with people I can trust.

No one wants to hear about it.

They tell me I "should just be happy because..."

Don't you think I would, if I could?

Don't you think I would choose to want to shower after going weeks without a bath?

Don't you think I would choose to not think about how much better my life would be if I didn't constantly think about wanting to be dead?

Don't you think I would choose to get out of bed and interact with my husband and my fur babies if I was able to?

No one but my husband understands what it's like for me, and he doesn't even understand fully.

I'm so tired of living this life, but any attempt to get out of it seems futile.

33 more replies

15 more replies

Suicide is contagious. High profile suicides always contribute to higher rates. That includes among celebs.

35 more replies

76 points · 3 months ago · edited 3 months ago

Did you just steal a tweet?

Edit: that ninja edit lol

He did. Noticed it as well.

23 more replies

Fuck. I hate this.

I have depression and feel like I'm doing an ok job dealing with it (therapy and meds) and, on really hard days, hiding it. But then I see someone who doesn't seem depressed commit suicide, and it makes me feel so much more fragile. Like, did they also feel like they were doing ok? Or were they just doing a good job of hiding it?

Have these thoughts all the time but right now I'm fucking suffering. Did they feel the way I do now? Worse? Better? Seeing all these people check out really hurts. Keep fighting, friend.

You too, buddy. We can get through it.

13 more replies

Fuck, when I saw the headline I went cold. I didn't know he was suffering from depression.

He had a history of heavy drug use. People always think of that as some who “knows how to have a fun time” when in reality they use to it to self medicate for depression.

100% this. I’m 7 months sober off cocaine. That drug doesn’t help you crawl out of the darkness, it buries you in it.

Congrats man. I realize how tough that is. It’s a struggle to break those old habits being hampered down with the cloud that comes along with it. I hope you’re finding positive support where you can. I’ve had family members who are addicts. What I think helps them is: therapy, group therapy or meetings, self-care activities (examples: exercise, cooking, reading, hiking, playing music, etc.), being open about it, and so on. You’re not alone. Never forget that. You can always find support somewhere.

12 more replies

22 more replies

Mostly no one ever does about people with depression.

Anthony was very honest and open about his drug abuse/mental problems on his shows.

7 more replies

92 points · 3 months ago · edited 3 months ago

Really? Having watched many of his shows it was very obvious to me he was suffering from chronic depression.

7 more replies

Is it always depression? I remember people were shocked when Robin Williams committed suicide; they thought he was just secretly depressed - but it turned out he was diagnosed with a particularly terrible form of Parkinson's, and likely didn't want to live it.

I thought they didn't have a diagnosis until after it happened. He just knew something was very wrong. Catatonia, angry episodes, unable to recall words or simply express thoughts. He Didn't know he had Lewey body dementia

13 more replies

19 more replies

Upon Jim Harrison’s passing, Anthony Bourdain shared a favorite Harrison poem of mine. I believe it fits Bourdain, too:
The moon comes up.
The moon goes down.
This is to inform you
that I didn’t die young.
Age swept past me
but I caught up.
Spring has begun here and each day
brings new birds up from Mexico.
Yesterday I got a call from the outside
world but I said no in thunder.
I was a dog on a short chain
and now there’s no chain.
— Jim Harrison, “Barking”.

1 more reply

Suicide is up by 25% in the last 20 years. We've got to stop pretending mental health issues are not real. No more of this man up bullshit. Talk to your kids. Talk to your spouse. Have an open conversation about your mental health.

Not a lot of people have someone to open up to.

Even if you open up online it isn’t really helpful. It’s the same responses of “Hang in there!” or trolls with “Lol man up”.

7 more replies

96 more replies

This is the first celebrity death in my life that is truly affecting me. He just connected with me at that level, I guess.

He always stayed human- he treated the people he met with respect and a decent amount of humility

6 more replies

You can never expect that something like this would happen. Such a great guy and always exploring new things. I remeber when he was in Finland struggling to get salmiakkikossu down. May he rest peace

7 more replies

I seriously can't believe this. He went through so much and to end it like that. Back in 2001 I started culinary school and quickly found out about this amazing book that everyone at school was telling me I had to read. That book was Kitchen Confidential and we all considered it our culinary bible. We all wanted to become culinary pirates like Tony and go on crazy misadventures. I'm deeply saddened by his passing and my thoughts go out to his family. This is the first time that a celebrity death has really effected me and I'm kinda in shock right now.

1 more reply

This hurts. I watched No Reservations and Parts Unknown for years. Loved Mind of a Chef. Got into cooking as a hobby because of him.

It looked like things were going well on his Instagram. But, I guess those posts don't show what's really going on.

RIP.

I always thought his instagram was a bit weird, lots of just panning shots of the roof of a hotel room with some music playing. I guess he was probably quite lonely and suffering from depression

4 more replies

So many unknown parts left to see...

Its up to us to go and see it , while thinking about this awesome human

He kinda inspired me when i go to a new country to not really have a plan when i go and figure it out myself. The best way to find a part unknown is by getting lost

I just got to budapest today. get into the airbnb. and saw this.

This man was what got me into traveling in the first place. So sad. Makes me think I would be able to escape the death grip of depression if he couldn't

1 more reply

I spent an entire semester in my highschool intro to geography class just watching parts unknown for 3 of the 5 days a week. Not really sure why our teacher made anthony bourdain’s t.v show about 65% of our curriculum but man it made me love the guy. This is really sad :(

10 more replies

24 points · 3 months ago · edited 3 months ago

It's starting to bother me how everybody says "seek help." and "we need to take mental health more seriously."

Of course thise things are true but maybe we're missing the point. People do seek help. And most people do take mental health seriously.

Maybe the "issue" isn't all on someones mental health but societal health. We treat each other and the world around us like trash and when someone has the audacity to be depressed by this we tell them to "seek help" like they are the ones with the problem.

Society is more sick than any person ever could be and I dont have a way to fix that other than being generally decent but the rhetoric that comes out of these situations always seems like blame the victim mentality. Instead let's all take some of that blame and try not to do what we did to him to anyone else.

Band of Brothers80 points · 3 months ago

The fact that Eric Ripert was the one to find him breaks my heart.

Omg, yes. Eric seems like such a genuine guy and good friend of Anthony’s I can’t imagine what he’s going through. I loved that one episode of Parts Unknown where they were skiing the French Alps then went to that restaurant to eat all that cheese. This is all too sad for me.

16 points · 3 months ago · edited 3 months ago

I posted this on the Kate Spade news thread but I’m going to post it again here since another high-profile suicide is being discussed:

I took an overdose of all the painkillers in my house/my antidepressants when I was 15 and my mum found me. It was selfish but I was extremely mentally unwell at the time, I’d asked for help but I’d been told by a crisis team it was ‘normal’ for teenagers to feel suicidal. I didn’t think it would take longer than a night to kill me, I spent the night in severe pain and threw up all over the floor by my bed. My mum knew what I’d done as soon as she came to wake me up about 7am and I spent 3 days in hospital.

I still occasionally have very bad days and the memory of her reaction brings me back from trying again. You can’t imagine the disappointment, sadness, hurt, guilt, anger, love, terror she seemed to have all in one go. She was so angry in the car to the hospital and once she got over the shock, so incredibly loving and understanding. It really hurts to think about how she felt going home the evening after driving me to hospital and cleaning up the vomit in my room from trying to kill myself. I also left notes and she must have read them all when she got home. It makes me want to cry thinking about it, my poor lovely mum.

I did that to her, that’s the reality of suicide. A lot of people imagine suicide to be this big, dramatic event with their family members falling wailing over their bodies. More often than not it’s a lot of silence, unspoken words, anger, terror, pain. Suicide really just passes on the problem, it doesn’t solve it. If you are struggling, please talk to someone. Please tell a teacher if you’re at school, your boss if you work, a neighbour, friend or family if you’re at home. There is a lot of support out that waiting to help and, whilst some people don’t recover, YOU might. That’s a chance worth grasping when you’re on the edge.

I know how ironic it sounds me saying ‘tell someone’ when part of what tipped me over the edge was a crisis team telling me being suicidal was normal. I know how hard it is to stick it out and I know sometimes you tell people and they don’t or can’t help, part of the reason I tried was because of the terrible response I got when I told those professionals. But I’m so glad my mum saved me and I stuck out multiple different therapists/medications, because now I can handle my problems and I have a really enjoyable life. My mum hasn’t lost her daughter, my sister hasn’t lost her sister, I haven’t lost myself - in fact through treatment I’ve gained more than I ever thought possible. When the depression blinkers come down it’s SO HARD, I know how hard, but please know there is a chance to get better.

1 more reply

I took a walk through this beautiful world...

3 more replies

He is the reason I love food. His show helped me become more open minded and man his books were so great.... Damn...

5 more replies

Very sad news, I am an avid watcher of his 'Parts unknown' , thought this guy rocks, his narration was funny and honest. He has all the fame and followers, depression is a secret killer. RIP Anthony Bourdain. Will miss your show.

"YOUR BODY IS NOT A TEMPLE, IT'S AN AMUSEMENT PARK. ENJOY THE RIDE." - Tony Bourdain

6 more replies

52 points · 3 months ago · edited 3 months ago

What the fuck is going on with all the suicides?

This one in particular makes me at once super sad and pissed off. This dude was not just entertaining, he was one of the most intelligent and rational personalities on TV. The world needed this guy. His episode touching on the Israeli-Palestinian conflict, for example, was one of the most thought provoking and fearless and soul crushing and yet hopeful pieces on the topic ever made (as indicated by how many it also managed to piss off). And his love of southeast Asian culture in particular was palpable.

Fuck this timeline.

1 more reply

Life is too short. I was watching him the other day on tv, thinking how great it would be to see every culture, experience so much, and eat every food imaginable.

Not even worldly experiences seem to lead to contentment. It must have been tough being away from his family and relationships for so long. Suicide can’t be the answer.

RIP.

2 more replies

This was one of the most shocking deaths to me.

My dad told me and I just said "WHAT?!"

9 more replies

195 points · 3 months ago · edited 3 months ago

I only hope we take mental health more seriously in this country. This happens far too often and it's awful.

/Edit - to the people bringing guns into it. This has nothing to do with it. The need to politicize everything is tiring. I was simply saying we should be taking mental health in general more serious in the US.

Comment deleted3 months ago(3 children)

Psychiatric Social Worker here.

Couldn't agree more. We could save and improve so many lives if we invested in MH care. I can't tell you how many people I encounter on a daily basis that struggle because of the stigma around mental illness and funding issues.

2 more replies

We need this globally. It is so easy for others to dismiss people with mental health or to tell them to just "be strong", "do some exercise", etc etc. It is unfortunately much more complicated than that. Try telling a person in a wheelchair to walk it off. Mental health is equally important as physical health.

48 more replies

Every time I read a headline like this, I always hope it's another stupid prank that news sources are too dumb to double check and rush to put out.

That said, what the fuck. Bourdain was amazing to watch, his passion for so many different things was infectious. And he was a true pleasure to watch.

Atlanta56 points · 3 months ago

Fuck

2,970 more replies

Admins please fix markdown. ##A general discussion television community for news, user discussion, reviews, video clips and more. See our sidebar to check out our calendar which lists upcoming premieres for shows, specials and so on. We conduct a yearly survey on users' favorite shows which you can look at [here](https://i.imgur.com/NouwAaX.png). For an archive of premiere discussions, click [here](https://old.reddit.com/r/television/search?q=flair%3Apremiere&restrict_sr=on&sort=new&t=all).

r/television Rules
No spoilers
No piracy
No duplicate news/old news
No listicles
No political reporting except for late night shows
No bad/vague/false/misleading/etc. titles
Being uncivil to other users
Asking for a recommendation