Game of Thrones Filming Ends — Forever!

3.7k comments

Great! GRRM will finally know how it ends.

Inb4 he writes a different ending, leading to HBO making a reboot series akin to FMA: Brotherhood in 10 years with the only true differences being the last few seasons and the actors.

Okay but FMA: Brotherhood is so fucking awesome and I’m so glad they went back and did it.

Word, I'd be completely ok with this if it turned out as good as FMA: Brotherhood

3 more replies

I think FMA has a much stronger start where they build up all the side characters even more, but FMA:B has a much better second half. If they combined the two together somehow I'd love it.

Because I really didnt like the original FMA plot past the first half. I don't remember it super well, but there was some random old lady that was the villain, their mom was Sloth, Envy was their older brother and a to of other weird stuff.

I think FMA had a stronger start with build up because Brotherhood didn’t need to. We already knew the characters so it skipped that and went straight into the story we missed out on.

25 more replies

Watch FMA until ep 25, then watch brotherhood from episode 10.

That's actually a really good idea

I do like Armstrong's introduction in Brotherhood more, though. He's so bad ass.

8 more replies

14 more replies

19 more replies

32 more replies

Was browsing my local bookstore and saw a new GRRM novel that wasnt ASOIAF and was kinda mad. Granted hes probably made serious bank already and doesnt prioritize finishing the series, but I want to read more of it

I doubt he has any real interest in finishing the series beyond a perceived obligation, which might be lessened with the show providing an ending. I think ASoIaF is a huge project he lost his enthusiasm for a long time ago, and a lot of the kudzu plot development has been a result of him throwing in random things to keep himself going with characters and ideas he's not as burned out on.

He did it to himself though.. the series was originally a trilogy.

Oh, no doubt. It was originally just the War of the Five Kings and dragon-less Dany IIRC.

It being expanded is great in and of itself, but given his habits I'm thinking Martin has mostly just written it off. Not many projects keep the same creator enthusiasm for 20+ years.

Not everyone can be Stephen king.

Brandon Sanderson is looking to be the Stephen King of the fantasy genre, that guy is prolific

9 more replies

I think Terry Pritchett would be a better comparison than Stephen king. Same universe for 32 years averaging 2-3 books a year and barely slowing down when he was diagnosed with Alzheimer's.

Though he could cycle through different character groups and the plots were all separate. Damn alzheimer another decade or two of books from him would have been great.

Sir Terry was writing several books at one time though, meaning he could switch projects as he pleased since whilst they take place in the same world, many of his stories are basically different genres.

14 more replies

Sure, but we can still criticize writers.

33 more replies

20 more replies

40 more replies

The only thing I really get angry for him is not being honest around the fact that he’s lost interest in the series.

He’s often described his writing technique as “gardening”, meaning he enjoys pruning and improving what’s already there more than creating from scratch.

This seems like a perfect time for him to bring in ghost writers. There’s plenty of talented people that could ape GRRM’s style and would love to be involved. Let them draft the last couple books (with GRRM’s guidance), and let GRRM “garden” their drafts to his hearts content.

GRRM gets past his writers block/disinterest and gets to do the thing he enjoys, and fans get the end of the series that’s at least based on his vision.

That's not he defines gardening at all...

He defines it letting the story progress without a strong game plan, trying to "feel" what the characters would do next etc.

As opposed to writers who have a really strong outline before they start.

14 more replies

This is wrong. This isn't how he sees gardening as a writing style. The metaphor he uses is that, like a gardener, he plants seeds of storylines and then he follows them as they grow organically.

16 more replies

20 more replies

The Google news app almost gave me a heart attack a month ago when a notification popped up about GRRM releasing a new book. I have never been so disappointed so fast in my entire life.

If you think the story of George finishing the books has a happy ending than you haven’t been paying attention.

4 more replies

I have never been so disappointed so fast in my entire life.

My wife said this on our wedding night

15 more replies

5 more replies

He said in an interview that the main reason he hasn’t finished it is because the series is so deep. He literally can’t keep track of who went where and who is where . he wants to make timelines very accurate and the series has gone on for so long that he can’t keep track anymore. He also brought up the fan base being so deeply into the world that if he made one mistake the whole community would know about it.

He has people who keep track of that for him.

17 more replies

56 more replies

Oof

14 more replies

39 more replies

1.0k points · 2 months ago

It’s crazy they were able to finish this before he could finish his books....

Finish ONE book.

Finish ONE book.

Finish the dust cover of book one.

Finish ONE book.

Finish the dust cover of book one.

"How to Cook FOR Forty Humans"

1 more reply

He's been writing that book for twice as long as they've been writing the show.

21 more replies

26 more replies

Man everyone loved Ned Stark and the actor they still use his shots for news and articles even though he was only present in the first season

1.9k points · 2 months ago

That’s because Sean Bean is a famous movie actor.

FTFY: That’s because Sean Bean is a famous meme.

That's because Sean Bean is a national treasure

FTFY

That's because Sean Bean is IN National Treasure.

FTFY

12 more replies

That's because Sean Bean is a international treasure

FTFY

6 more replies

2 more replies

Come to think of it he was actually memed both in LOTR and GOT. The "one does not simply" and the "brace yourselves" memes lol.

And the “Sean Bean dies in every movie meme”

16 more replies

31 more replies

Ned and Bobby B were the GOATs and deserved better

Gods they were strong.

GO FIND THE SEASON ONE STRETCHER

IN AN OPEN FIELD

Thank the gods for Bessy, Bessy and her tits

10 more replies

I'm glad they do it that way, it makes it so S1E9 is still a shock when you watch the show for the first time even now.

Well, it was until now.

5 more replies

10 more replies

43 more replies

What show will fill the void?

8.4k points · 2 months ago

The prequel to game of thrones that I believe was already announced

Or the Lord of the Rings series. Starring Sean Bean as every role

2.7k points · 2 months ago

That’s quite a cemetery.

Valar Morghulis.

Valar Dohaeris.

Valar my ragtime gal

Send me a kill by wire

Baby, my blood's on fire!

Send me a raven, no misbehavin', or you'll have to take the fall

Oh baby, join with me, or I'll send you to the waaaaaaalllll...

This killed me

14 more replies

1 more reply

All Sean Bean's must die.

8 more replies

9 more replies

7 more replies

61 more replies

But there’s less of the “what the hell is going to happen” excitement that made the first series so watchable

Not if they go like 100+ yrs before the events in season 1 like they did in the hedge knight stories.

The prequel will take place "thousands of years" before the events of GOT

Well there you go. Even better

6 more replies

1.1k points · 2 months ago

That’s basically been true for the past 3 seasons anyway.

Since the show's gone past the books I feel like it's been more like that lately than it was in the first season.

The 1001.1k points · 2 months ago · edited 2 months ago

The story has definitely gotten more formulaic and tropey after they passed the books I feel. The only moment that truly felt like a GRRM twist was spoiler in 6x10. You can hardly blame the writers though, it’s impossible to fill GRRMs shoes, especially considering the man can’t even find a way to finish the story himself.

He's wrote himself so many storylines and threads to finish. Which he never will. This way the show can end it and people will be happy (mostly) and he never has to worry about ruining his book seriea.

GRRM looking like he isn't finishing the books is the very thing stopping me from buying them. So the show is just fine for me.

The books are fantastic, but who can blame you?

I doubt he will ever finish the series as well, ergo I am much more invested in the series now, at least from a closure perspective.

The first three books are fantastic.

I'm as interested in 5/7th's of a series like I am in 5/7th's of an airbag.

16 more replies

48 more replies

he never has to worry about ruining his book seriea.

He will ruin it by not finishing it. All the great book series that people remember are finished series. Sure, his series is pretty good, but I'm going to suggest other series of books to any kids I might have because why would I suggest an unfinished series when there are great, finished works. I can't really recommend it to anyone since it isn't going to be complete. Tolkien's lord of the rings would not have had its surge of popularity in the 60/70's if he never bothered to finish it.

49 more replies

35 more replies

Anyone else having problems with spoiler tags in reddit mobile? It just links me to my homepage.

8 more replies

He has said many times that his big stop was the "Meereen knot" that he couldn't get Daenerys out of Meereen. The show just put her on a boat... if he does that the same, his knot is untied and he can write again. I think it's less about writers block these last few years and more about semi-retirement. He hates writing and loves having written and he has no real motivation to keep doing something he hates just to get to the end so he can be done loving the completion. I want him to finish the books but I've come to terms with the possibility that I may be forever waiting. You're absolutely right about the show writing - the show hasn't ever described clothing in a way that made me think it might be delicious, GRRM can somehow do that every few pages.

The 100135 points · 2 months ago · edited 2 months ago

The show writers are okay with cutting a few corners to move the plot along, even if it means some logical inconsistencies/plot holes. GRRM is too much of a perfectionist though. The problem with the Meereen knot is that he needs all these characters from different areas to reach Meereen at around the same time so Dany can leave, and its very hard to do that organically. Meanwhile the show can just say 'fuck it' and have the characters basically teleport to Meereen, which works well enough under the circumstances.

37 more replies

49 more replies

16 more replies

Spoilers

Two things that struck me as awkward were Bronn's escape from the dragon, just when it could have been a tragedy (giving up the money, then his life); and the plan to bring back a walker, which for some reason just didn't feel right from the moment it was floated.

I'm surprised they could bring back the Walker. The first book made it clear the undead and still reanimated walker's hand they sent north as a warning had completely dissolved by the time it reached anyone who would see it. They needed to get the walkers past the wall, but I assumed whatever magics were at play in season 1 were still around.

It didn’t just dissolve, it decomposed, and when Thorne arrived it was still moving around and you could see what was going on, they just refused to see him for a week or two, that on top of travel time did for the hand

2 more replies

And the time warping that was required for them to bring that white walker back safely. It really feels like last season was missing so many of the little details that made all the seasons before it great. Really irks me

7 more replies

9 more replies

I'd read all the books by the time the second season started... I was still pretty damn excited to watch every episode even though i knew everything that was going to happen until around season 5 when the show started over taking.

22 more replies

28 more replies

Will /r/PrequelMemes start having got memes then?

Yep.

5 more replies

Dunk & Egg?

I bet that was their first choice, but HBO refused to pick up an uncompleted story by Martin again.

Blackfyre Rebellion in Dunk and Egg would be the best imo

5 more replies

56 more replies

The upcoming LoTR show.

I honestly hope that take as much time as needed for those. I dont care if I have to wait 5 years just for news that the script is a go.

Honestly, I just hope they keep Peter Jackson’s Hobbit CGI mindset away from it and use the LoTR trilogy as the blueprint.

He was given years to prep for LOTR and only a a couple months for the Hobbit since he wasn’t even the original Director for it.

Better Call Saul73 points · 2 months ago

If I remember correctly I think they had something like 7 years of pre-production for Lord of the Rings.

And shot them all at the same time, which is just mind blowing seeing how long the unedited cuts are.

The special features and behind the scenes stories of how those movies were made are really fascinating.

25 more replies

Peter Jackson didn't really want to make the hobbits into what it became, he wasn't given the same freedom as LOTR. They forced him to make 3 movies instead of 1, and the studio meddled with the edits.

Don't forget that Peter wasn't even the first director on that project - he had to pick up the project after Guillermo del Toro left, and he didn't have nearly as much time as he needed to "start over" on the project from a space he would have liked to start from.

Yup, preproduction was really the biggest difference between LoTR and The hobbit. Pretty evident when watching the behind the scenes on both film sets.

The behind the scenes footage of LotR was a treat - it really showed how it was a labour of love for everyone involved, not just Peter Jackson and the big names, but the concept artists, the guys making the armour, the guy who made the teeny tiny trebuchet they catapulted into the teeny tiny tower at the end of The Two Towers, everyone was so dedicated to it.

Such a pity, but absolutely expected that The Hobbit didn't work on so many levels.

6 more replies

I’m sure even Peter Jackson would agree.

The studio learned the lesson too. Blocklacklustre syndrome hit them hard.

There was so much shit going on with those movies that I don't blame Peter Jackson for those

17 more replies

Wheel of Time

Can’t wait for the show. For those interested the full book series has been out for a while so there’ll be no wait if you want to read a great series. Also GRRM was apparently friends with the series’ author Robert Jordan and attributes some of his early success to Jordan’s recommendations for A Game of Thrones.

Although, I know a few people who have told me Wheel of Time starts to fizzle in the middle. Although, I love Brandon Sanderson as a writer and am definitely gonna start that series after I finish his Cosmere stuff since he wrote the final books.

It is more than a bit of a slog in the middle, but it picks up once sanderson takes over after Jordan's death. I found the last book to be very satisfying. A worthy read if you can make the 4 book transition to sanderson's part.

11 more replies

I wouldn’t say it fizzles but I would have to agree that it does slow down in the middle few books. It suffers from the same problems of a lot of epic fantasy, including ASOIAF, where you have just too many well developed characters and plot lines that the authors have to try to divide the books time between. But Sanderson did a great job wrapping it up and I really appreciated his ability to stay true to Jordan’s vision and still give it a bit of his own voice. I picked up the Mistborn Trilogy recently because of it.

26 more replies

16 more replies

7 more replies

17 more replies

The Witcher

I wish.

I don't expect it to be awful, but i'd be surprised if it'll be anywhere near GoT quality.

71 more replies

61 more replies

No idea what could fill that vast Expanse...

67 more replies

The void will simply be known as The Expanse.

The Expanse.

The work must continue

It reaches out...

113 times a second.

It reaches out. It reaches out. It reaches out. It reaches out.

43 more replies

457 more replies

4.4k points · 2 months ago

Now I can finally start watching it!

You can't be spoiler-free after all this time can you? Although I have to say I did the same thing with Breaking Bad

You see, if I said I know nothing about the show other than there are dragons and that winter is coming (whatever that means), half of the responses would be spoilers.

With that being said, I am actually a seasoned vet of the show ;)

Gandalf dies.

7 more replies

27 more replies

2.3k points · 2 months ago

I’m jealous sir. You are in for a treat. This show is just beyond amazing.

Don't be jealous. He gets to experience the Game for only about a year. You've been lucky enough to follow the journey for (I'm assuming) years.

I think there's certainly something to be said about being engaged with it for the better part of a decade. Not that bingers can't enjoy the show as much as the weekly watchers, but I do think spending all of this time watching these kids grow up adds to the emotional depth and the impact of some of these deaths.

As well as debating fan theories! I have friends that finally starting binging and the missed out on Cleganebowl, Stannis the Mannis, and others. To me it means something more, like the whole story is up for grabs up until the show mails it down

F U C K I N G C O N F I R M E D

The hype ends soon 😔

WHAT IS HYPE MAY NEVER DIE

3 more replies

Yeah like I can't imagine binging Lost now without the crazy online speculation week to week

16 more replies

9 more replies

And on top of that Game of Thrones is like no other show when it comes to going to school or work the next day and talking to everyone you know about what just happened. It's insane how many people get excited about it.

10 more replies

16 more replies

68 points · 2 months ago · edited 2 months ago

Years of Joy, speculation, being proved so wrong, being proved right... spoiler shield at maximum possible efficiency. I understand that spoilers lack context if you don’t watch the show, but our visual memory is just too damn good, and memes like snow is dead/ alive just get stuck in your mind and are kind of unavoidable.

Real-time fandom is something to be treasured, I reckon. Despite all the waiting and impatience.

I binged P&R after being retroactively made aware of its excellence and I only watched an episode a week towards the end because it was just more fulfilling and I had time to digest the subtle character arc changes/ tie-ups so much better.

25 more replies

I've only read the books and have yet to watch the show. So I'm excited to finally watch what I've been reading about

It ain’t always gonna be what you were reading about lol. But the first four seasons are excellent.

9 more replies

Reduce your excitement slowly while you progress, up until season 5 at the low point, after that it becomes a rollercoaster. Imo

5 more replies

6 more replies

51 more replies

Not yet dude.. if u start now u would end up finishing them within weeks but as per report's the next season won't be here until next year....

Can confirm, started from season one like 5 weeks ago and finished like 2 weeks ago

9 more replies

9 more replies

39 more replies

“Goodbye Belfast. Goodbye Arya. Goodbye Game of Thrones. What a joy I’ve had. Here’s to the adventures to come”.

Love her.

"When are you going to film again?"

"Not today."

😭😭

EXCUSE ME YOU CAUGHT MY FEELINGS UNPREPARED FOR THIS YOU FUCK

The 100693 points · 2 months ago

I couldn’t have wished for a better Arya. Maisie was perfectly cast.

Probably one of their best choices. Right next to Jamie Lannister and the Hound.

I love the show runners comment about ho casting Jaimie was really difficult because he had to be so handsome. They were worried the only people that could fill the role would be way too expensive so they looked outside the US for some lesser known guy.

And what a handsome guy Nikolaj Coster-Waldau is.

he looks like prince charming in shrek, meaning he looks like what animators thought a comically, fairy-tale-level handsome man would look like.

In the first season, totally, and that look worked perfectly. As the show has gone on, though, his look has become more rugged and humble. I actually think he was much more handsome in the 7th season than he was in the first.

And I would still gladly be his Cersei

no homo

Yes incest?

5 more replies

1 more reply

I’ve been binge re-watching the show lately and I think you just get used to seeing faces and take them for granted. But there was one moment recently where I actually snorted because I realized how comically, Prince-Charming Level handsome that guy is.

9 more replies

11 more replies

I feel like she really grew into the role. I thought she was too cute as a child to play Arya.

6 more replies

10 more replies

17 more replies

Closure >>>>> never ending shows

I'm just glad to be apart of the ride.

We're looking at you The Walking Dead.

Well the comics are still going, and in my opinion are much better than the show. I mean it's good to stray from the source material but the way the show does it is just awful (except for a couple instances). The show has literally become the walking dead.

1.8k points · 2 months ago

Shit I hate it so much when a good TV series finally ends. Can't wait to watch season 8 though! Has a release date been announced yet?

On the positive side it at least got to finish it’s story, there are many series out there that got canceled before they managed to finish it up.

Or worse yet, were padded with endless filler and dragged around for years after all life was sucked out of it. I hope this last season is good but even so far Game of Thrones never became actually bad. There were definitely worse episodes and questionable things happening but it never became so bad that I don't want to watch it anymore.

8 more replies

Or, if you're an manga/anime fan, so many series that go on SOOOOOO long you'll be an old man by the time they're complete.

One Piece welp

I gave up on One Piece last summer. Maybe I'll pick it back up in 20 years.

24 more replies

11 more replies

The far more common occurrence is a she getting twelve episodes and never getting a second season when the source material would have enough for a hundred plus.

Kills me every time I watch a good one only to realize it's been 6 years and no second season will ever happen.

cough Hunter x Hunter cough

Hiatus X Hiatus

cough Berserk cough

5 more replies

12 more replies

15 more replies

22 more replies

54 more replies

Time for the spin offs !!!!!?

No way in hell is HBO going to let the series truly end theres going to be a ton of spin offs this is basically their star wars/harry potter

12 more replies

Yeah, most likely. Might as well keep using all those sets and swords they made.

Already been announced

Really??

16 more replies

1 more reply

I mean Better Call Saul ended up being one of the best shows on television right now, could work.

16 more replies

It's the end of an era.

An arya*

Arrested Development156 points · 2 months ago

*A girl

6 more replies

37 more replies

Wow that strikes me as a very long post-production schedule then. I know they're saying each episode is going to be similar to a full feature film but still, damn.

17 more replies

931 points · 2 months ago · edited 2 months ago

I wish George R. R. Martin would finish the FOOKING books.

AAAASSRRRRRGGGHHG!!!!

EDIT: FUCKING to FOOKING

Seems like I’ve been waiting on Winds of Winter for an eternity.

Winter is not coming...

11 more replies

It’s crazy how long we’ve been waiting for Winds only to realize that if we ever do get it there’ll be ANOTHER book to wait for as well.

Nah he'll be dead before the next book unless he's already writing it.

As awful to think about as that is, it will be true.

And he even promised us he wouldn't pull a Jordan. Dammit GRRM.

9 more replies

4 more replies

Give it up, mate. He isn't going to.

I know 😭

2 more replies

GRRM should just give up the books to Sanderson. He'd have the series wrapped up in six months. /s

33 more replies

59 points · 2 months ago · edited 2 months ago

I've gone from "he can't possibly not finish these books" to "he probably won't". I'd love George to swoop in and satisfy the book readers after the TV show plays it's hand... but, I mean... he'd have at least released Winds of Winter by now if he could, right?

19 more replies

And now my watch has ended

*is ended

Comment deleted2 months ago(4 children)

Until the prequels.

We will watch their career with great interest.

A surprise to be sure, but a welcome one

Is that legal?

7 more replies

I can't wait for r/GoTprequelmemes to be a thing

EDIT: Well, fuck. Never mind. Haha

Dewit

8 more replies

RELEASE SEASON 8 BEFORE I PISS MESELF!

BRING ME THE EPISODE STRETCHER

2 more replies

I like how after all these years, Ned Stark is still the face of GoT.

His choices in youth directly impact the story/show to the end.

What is dead may never die!

2 more replies

And now our watch has almost ended.

Winter is coming.

Nowy Tends.

4 more replies

Hoping that they do movie theater events for every episode. I'd gladly pay $100 to watch it in a theater over 6 weeks. $150 for IMAX.

I maintained that the Battle of Bastards episode plus another one should have been screened in cinemas all around the world. That was fantastic movie-making.

9 more replies

13 more replies

And we still have to wait for at least 8 months for it i think.

Their watch has ended.

924 more replies

Admins please fix markdown. ##A general discussion television community for news, user discussion, reviews, video clips and more. See our sidebar to check out our calendar which lists upcoming premieres for shows, specials and so on. We conduct a yearly survey on users' favorite shows which you can look at [here](https://i.imgur.com/NouwAaX.png). For an archive of premiere discussions, click [here](https://old.reddit.com/r/television/search?q=flair%3Apremiere&restrict_sr=on&sort=new&t=all).

r/television Rules
No spoilers
No piracy
No duplicate news/old news
No listicles
No political reporting except for late night shows
No bad/vague/false/misleading/etc. titles
Being uncivil to other users
Asking for a recommendation