TIL that in 1818 US began building a fort near the New York - Quebec border to defend against invasions from Canada.After 2 years of construction, they realized the fort was actually on the Canadian side.They abandoned it and nicknamed it Fort Blunder.

I can Imagine a couple of Canadians sitting there, watching the fort being built, and one of them saying: "Should we go and tell them?".

473 points · 1 month ago

No weh

228 points · 1 month ago

I read that both in a Mexican accent and a Scottish one

41 points · 1 month ago

No weh, jos-eh.

No weh, hoser

4 points · 1 month ago

I first read as Scottish and then Jamaican.

thats a silent w. "no eh" is how that sounds.

19 points · 1 month ago

Young Ned Stark?

No, nowitenz

Ned Stark (Sean Bean) is north eastern English not Scottish

YOUNG Ned Stark! NOT Sean Bean! Jesus, if you’re going to be that guy at least look at the comment you’re doing that to!

Young Ned Stark also has a Northern English accent as he was copying Sean Beans accent. Don't know the young lads name of the top of my head and I thought you would understand.

Not in the books!

Now I’m watching super troopers 2

Free fort.

*güey

159 points · 1 month ago

“It would be rude to interrupt their construction”

22 points · 1 month ago

Eh? Naw, let 'em finish it first, they're obviously being very nice neighbors, building us a fort and all. Maybe you should bring 'em some beers instead.

Not possible that even one Canadian was involved. Canada was invented in 1867. They were Brits before that.

they weren’t brits, they were british subject from lower canada in bna. canada wasn’t a nation yet but canada was the land and the people from there were canadians

-12 points · 1 month ago(More than 19 children)
19 points · 1 month ago · edited 1 month ago

Im sure many a Canadian considered themselves Canadians especially since that the term Canada was adopted in the early 1600's and referred to the early settlement of Gibraltar as part of Kanata (Canada) while the entire area around the st.lawrence or Canada river was called Canada in the mid 1500s

10 points · 1 month ago

Heritage minute eh?

11 points · 1 month ago

you said not possible that even one Canadian was involved but then go on to admit that people in lower/upper Canada may have considered themselves lower/upper Canadians. that is pretty contradictory.

they were British subjects, yes, but there is no reason the colonists living in lower/upper Canada would not also consider themselves Canadians. similar to how Gibraltar is a British colony, the people are British and also consider themselves Gibraltarians.

-13 points · 1 month ago(0 children)
14 points · 1 month ago · edited 1 month ago

here is a quote from 1775 in reference to the people in Quebec (lower Canada).

"My Lord !

I am sorry to transmit to Your Lordship the disagreeable account of a disagreeable Business, some time in the Beginning of this Month, upon news of the Rebel Army approaching, General Carleton set out for Montreal in great Haste; the 7th instant the Rebels landed in the Woods near St. John's, and beat back to their Boats by a Party of Savages incamped at that Place; in this Action the Savages behaved with great Spirit and Resolution, and had they remained firm to our Interests, probably the Province would have been safe for this Year, but finding the Canadians in General averse to the taking up Arms for the Defence of their Country, they withdrew, and made their Peace.

After their Defeat the Rebels retired to the Isle aux Noix, where they continued till lately, sending out some Parties, and many Emissaries, to debauch the Minds of the Canadians and Indians, in which they have proved too successful, and for which they were too well prepared by the Cabals and Intrigues of these two last years; We knew of their being reinforced, and very considerably, I suppose, as they appeared in Numbers near St. John's last Sunday Evening; where or when they landed, or the Particulars since, we have but very imperfect Accounts of, all Communications with the Forts of St. John's and Chambli, being, as far as I can find, entirely cut off.

No Means have been left untried to bring the Canadian Peasantry to a Sense of their Duty, and engage them to take up arms in Defence of the Province, but all to no Purpose. The Justice must be done to the Gentry, Clergy, and most of the Bourgeoisie, that they have shewen the greatest Zeal and Fidelity to the King's Service, and exerted their best endeavours to reclaim their infatuated Countrymen;"

is there a particular reason that these people in modern day Quebec are being referred to as CANADIANS, and yet you refuse to believe that people at this time identified/were called Canadian by any means? it might be time for you to brush up on your Canadian history. they were aware of where they lived... upper/lower Canada. they would identify themselves as British or French, under the British crown, but they would also identify as belonging to Canada, which is very different from Britain or France.

could you happen to provide a citation saying that people at the time did not identify as Canadian in any way (as you suggest)? you asked me for one, which I have provided. your level of knowledge for Canadian history is quite low.

And he never responded again. XD

GFY

So they labeled one side Canadian and the other side Rebels. One was from Canada and the other from Rebelia? Or is it just that they needed 2 terms to describe the sides?

Also, it says "....No Means have been left untried to bring the Canadian Peasantry..." They didn't feel too Canadian apparently. That's because they were defending British territory, inhabited by British citizens, and they saw themselves as French or Quebecois, not Canadians. They were not Canadians, just because one British guy says so. There were British troops defending British citizens. He calls them Canadians and the other side Rebels.

So yes, there is a reason I refuse to believe they were thinking of themselves as Canadians, they were not Canadians, not defending Canada.

You ask for a citation to prove a negative? Not too too sharp, eh? You provide a very weak claim, cited from a British guy who was trying to roust a hostile population to defend a foreign ideology. A bit shaky, at best. If one wiki entry is what you know about Canadian history, give it up. The fucking country did not even adopt the name Canada until 1841. This is like Paul Revere shouting "The British are coming". You can find references to Americans before the American revolution, but how valid is it. In case you don't get that trope about "The British are coming", everybody was British, including Paul Revere, there were no Americans. How you imagine that the name Canadian was used for a country not yet existing is amazing. Ignorance rules, I know.

1 point · 1 month ago · edited 1 month ago

you need to give it up, you're just looking stupid now.

i've provided you with evidence that demonstrates you are wrong in thinking people were not called Canadian in that time period. you can either further educate yourself on that, or continue to dismiss what doesn't fit your agenda and live on in your ignorance. good luck.

Relax, it doesn’t matter.

2 points · 1 month ago

Except "Newfoundland" is actually the Island of Newfoundland and the mainland segment of Labrador. People from Labrador are Labradorians, not Newfoundlanders - and it's not polite to refer to Newfoundlanders as "newfies," by and large. Prior to joining Canada in 1949, it was its own country.

Dominions are not countries.

Yes, they are.

Dominion status was formally defined in the Balfour Declaration of 1926, which recognised these countries as "autonomous Communities within the British Empire", thus acknowledging them as political equals of the United Kingdom. The Statute of Westminster 1931 converted this status into legal reality, making them essentially independent members of what was then called the British Commonwealth.

Countries are independent. Dominions are, as your link shows, "Dominions were semi-independent polities under the British Crown,..." Semi-independent is not the same as independent.

0 points · 29 days ago · edited 29 days ago

yes, you read the first line of the Wikpedia article - congratulations! However, you read no further and so missed:

The Balfour Declaration of 1926 recognised the Dominions as "autonomous Communities within the British Empire", and the 1931 Statute of Westminster confirmed their full legislative independence.

It's too bad you didn't read the first line of my previous quotation, which I will repeat and bold for emphasis:

Dominion status was formally defined in the Balfour Declaration of 1926, which recognised these countries as "autonomous Communities within the British Empire", thus acknowledging them as political equals of the United Kingdom. The statute of Westminster 1931 converted this status into legal reality, making them essentially independent members of what was then called the British Commonwealth.

Pack up your scissors, you're done splitting hairs.

Little words you seem to overlook. Like within, as in "within the British Empire", and your other bold phrase shows that you don't understand what qualifications do. If you are told you can do anything that doesn't involve alcohol, you can't then tell me that you can do anything you want.

Your last bold indicates that you don't have an understanding of what the British commonwealth was in 1931. The members were mostly colonies. Kenya, for instance had a colonial legislature, but it was very much a colony of Britain. No argument there I assume. So if Newfoundland had all the rights of the other members, it was probably treated like a colony.

So you can make bold what you want, you can start by understanding what the British Commonwealth was in 1931, and the difference between full independence and full legislative independence. Or, if you have access to some older Newfoundlanders, ask them.

Except that I never mentioned Labrador. I'm aware of the geography. And you don't have to preach to me about the term Newfies. And Newfoundland was never an independent country.

-12 points · 1 month ago(7 children)

Arguably Canada contains several nations (even neglecting First Nations).

Edit: Oops, wrong comment, meant to reply to the other reply to this one.

It’s a nation-state.

Arguably Canada is one state containing several nations (even neglecting First Nations).

Arguably French Canadians aren’t even humans, but instead terrible beer drinking apes that can’t play hockey to save their lives.

Can't play hockey? Lol

Hey, you take dat ting aboot the hockey derre back, eh?

Cringe

21 points · 1 month ago

Now you'll be telling us it wasn't Canadians burned the White House ya apologist!

Tell them that they don’t need a fort because a Canadian would never invade anyone?

Maybe that's what they want everybody to think about them.

2 points · 1 month ago

I also just began picturing Canadians, but instead of two it was four, and they were all from a small town named Letterkenny.

“No, let ‘em have their fun, wouldn’t want to be impolite, don’t ya know?”

The starting line would be "Excuse me, but...."

-20 points · 1 month ago(0 children)
264 points · 1 month ago

Used to drive by this all the time crossing the bridge. Very cool history.

The Route 2 bridge? You can see it from there. I'm going to go check this out today.

20 points · 1 month ago

Yep, very visible from the bridge to NY.

thank you, history. very cool.

Ah yup, I go on that bridge often, the fort was damaged badly in the 20s when it was dismantled some for building materials for a road.

Canada afterwards: "oh right on! Thanks for the fort bud. It's fucking right on."

"can you come back and fix it, it's pointing in the wrong direction?"

24 points · 1 month ago

It isn't. It's pointed east towards a river that goes north and south. It works equally well whether you want to prevent people from going down the river or up it. Not that they ever actually used it.

You dont know French canadians very well do you.

"Malade, mes Americans. Cette place est parfait, mais, euh..... why is it pointed at us?"

Better?

-20 points · 1 month ago(8 children)

As a quebecer, you can go fuck yourself. As a Detroiter, don't be a stereotype, man.

-13 points · 1 month ago(0 children)

Appreciate the google translate there, bud.

you're welcome.

Comment deleted1 month ago(0 children)

Yeah, he's good for the economy, so good the gap between our currencies is closing, used to be £1 was worth $2 now it's £1:$1.25, considering the population difference that's substantial.

Comment deleted1 month ago(0 children)

It's a bloody good barometer, Look at Venezuela, that hyperinflation ain't for nothing, their economy is shrinking.

Also you're on the up and up, No.1 according to the IMF and the world bank, it's the place to be tbh, and only 4% unemployment in a country of 300 million, that's pretty good, you're leading the way on the electric car, Privatised space exploration and rechargeable battery tech thanks to musk, It's where the money is right now tbh.

6 points · 1 month ago

Sounds more like Western Canada

Could also be east of Quebec.

Do you ?

And then the English go "whoops, since they got a fort there, I guess we can just give that land to the Americans. No problem Canada, you can thank us later."

Here's a few coins of hash for you guys

104 points · 1 month ago

When it was claimed by the British they called it Fort Freebee.

22 points · 1 month ago

It was useless and never strategic, sold to private property and last I heard was up for sale, no buyers. In the 20s much of it was damaged when rock was pulled from it and crushed to make a road.

You build one, you get one free offer

Former Vermonter living in Quebec here. Cannot believe I've never heard of this.

20 points · 1 month ago

So that’s where all the Vermonters are going

I've lived in Vermont my whole life, and I didn't know about this either. I was just looking at a house in Alburgh the other day too.

25 points · 1 month ago

Mapping was pretty inexact until fairly recently, I'm honestly surprised this didn't happen more often.

My wife called me one day to tell me the new neighbor had taken his fence down and moved it eight feet onto our property. I came home and asked him if he had a survey done before he moved it. He assured me that he had.

I had also had a survey done before we moved in but I paid another surveyor to come out and check and he assured me that his fence was now eight feet on my property.

Thousands of dollars later, it was determined that his house was part of a later development and had been surveyed separately. They had to go four blocks over to discover the source of the error. As it turns out, not only was his boundary off and intruding on my property, but it was off at an angle so the farther north you went the more it was off.

This was about 15 years ago but the surveys were done around 1970.

10 points · 1 month ago

Ouch. Were you able to get refunded for any of it by the people who made the error?

No but it wasn't as bad as I was expecting. I contacted some lawyers who told me it could run from $15,000 to $20,000 unless we took it to court and then it would cost much more.

I found a lawyer who would just charge by the hour and write a few letters for me. The guy just ignored the first two letters so finally I asked my lawyer what would happen if I just removed the fence myself. He said that as long as I gave him fair warning I should be ok.

He wrote one last letter telling him that unless he removed it by date, I would remove it and place it on his property. That got his attention but he was as mad as a hornet. He called me several names in front of both lawyers but ultimately agreed to relocate it back to its original place.

The thing is that if you don't defend your property, they can take legal possession after a period of time. So even if someone is planting flowers on your property or even mowing part of your lawn, you should make them stop or risk losing your land.

It just seems like a real douche move to begin with to not tell you he was moving the fence after getting a survey. Adverse possession usually takes 10 or 12 years to be able to take it though.

2 points · 1 month ago

Yeah ive heard that staying on top of it constantly is key. Cant let it stew, or squatters rights come in to play.

You know I know nothing about the law but I was watching one of those cop shows on TV the other night and there was a case where a couple wintered in Phoenix and when they returned, there were people living in their house. The people had mail addressed to them at their address and a signed copy of a lease. Presumably, someone broke into the house and leased it out as their own.

The thing is, the cops wouldn't evict the squatters. They told them at this point they would have to go to court to evict them. I feel certain that they would win in the long run but legal fees for something like this would bankrupt me. Even if you win, you lose.

To think how easily people can screw you over is frightening.

I wouldn't have called the cops.

But you're right you can get fucked so easily. But leasing is a lot different then adverse possession and trying to get title to the land.

Should have removed it in the most destructive manner possible. Fuck him.

Especially that border.

In most parts of the world, borders were based on major landmarks so there's no risk of surveying errors.

In one colorful example, a segment of the Swiss-Italian border is drawn based on a glacier near the Matterhorn, so as it melts due to global warming, Switzerland is expanding into Italy.

It's really only in post-colonial countries in the Africa, the Americans and the Middle East that have these randomly drawn borders that surveyors could fail to accurately measure.

Major landmarks apply one point. There's still the lines between points. In most parts of the world, borders didn't exist at all, and the territory you controlled was based on how far your army could march.

The borders were redrawn in 1842 to put it on the American side.

Borders were redrawn to change the location of the American side. However, the fort was not moved.

That second clarification was really unnecessary.

r/woo(idontknowhoemanyostouse)oosh

Woosh

Comment deleted1 month ago(1 child)

Sorry about your fort, eh?

Comment deleted1 month ago(1 child)
2 points · 1 month ago

That's a picture of the second fort, built on the US side of the border.

Mighty polite of the yanks to not just re-draw the border. Sounds pretty Canadian, their actions.

They probably didn’t want the White House burned down again.

Canadian's don't even have their own historical achievements, they have to steal the glory from the British and pretend they had anything to do with it lol.

Vimy

Juno Beach

Ypres

Liberation of Holland

And the Korea.

What are these things?

Battles feilds of slaughter in which Canada played a part.

Thanks. Makes sense why I never heard of them.

5 points · 1 month ago

Nah I hear Ben Affleck is preparing a movie on Vimy, turns out it was all made possible by american soldiers on the field, nothing to do with Canada.

Yeah, we couldn't lose to the Vietnamese like you did...

We were the British.

No, Canada has nothing to do with burning down the White House. The men were British, the orders were British, the boats were British, sailed from Britain, the weapons were British, the plans were British, the leaders were British. The only Canadian connection whatsoever is that a few of the troops settled in Canada years later.

Canadians were British in 1818. That’s the point.

Americans didn't even declare independence they were British subjects lmao

/s

I’m confused. Even with sarcasm this makes no sense.

I think that taking credit for a revolution of independence is a bit different than taking credit for a military operation (the burning of DC) that Canada had nothing to do with. Not to mention the British army that conducted the operation got smacked down shortly thereafter at Baltimore and the general that ordered the burning killed in battle.

Canada was Britain in 1818. Think whatever you’d like but the United States tried to invade Canada. They failed.

America tried to get Britain to stop attacking and press ganging (i.e. kidnapping) it's sailors, along with blockading American ports. They weren't exactly going to sail out into the Atlantic with their tiny navy and try to land troops in Britain, so they attacked the closest reachable British possession. Eventually, the point became moot at the end of the Napoleonic War when Britain stopped screwing around with American shipping, and neither side really had anything to gain by continuing the fight. America felt like "honor" had been satisfied, and Britain didn't want to raise up a huge armada to invade America right after it got out of a huge war.

We did. Tried to nab a House of Lords MP in Scotland but he happened to be in London so we just sacked his castle and left.

It hilarious watching Americans lie to themselves... Hilarious. They wanted Canada and thought they could get it because the British were busy with Napoleon. The Americans were and continue to be failures at war. They couldn't beat the Vietnamese or Afghans either. They're great at fighting Panama and Grenada though.

wanted to maintain neutrality, and declared war when GB blockaded ports and kidnapped sailors.

LOL

You're not one of those people that think that Canadians had anything to do with the burning of DC are you? If you are, I beg you to read a history book... or at least a Wikipedia article about the subject.

Hint: It was a British detachment from the Caribbean, with no Canadians involved, that did it. Also, they got smacked down at Baltimore shortly thereafter, the guy that order the burning killed in action, and America got a neat National Anthem out of it.

Absolutely right. But if you know your history, you know Canada was Britain in 1818. The British Empire, of which Canada was a part, burned it down.

That's true. I was too presumptuous in thinking you were one of the "Canada burned down the White House" idiots, of which there are plenty. If all you were saying that Colonial Canada felt confident enough in their overlord's protection that the USA redrew the border to avoid conflict, no argument with that.

The burning of Washington is always interesting to me. Dr. William Thornton was a bit of a douche that abused his position as Superintendent of the Patent Office, but he did successfully argue for the British to not burn the building down (though it did end up catching fire in 1836 anyway.) Marine barracks and the commandant's house weren't burned either, making it one of the oldest buildings in the city.

3 points · 1 month ago

I imagine that's what usually happened in these situations.

9 points · 1 month ago

The borders were redrawn in 1842 to put it on the American side.

16 points · 1 month ago

We build them a fort on our border and everyone calls them the nice country.

to defend against invasions from canada

wasn't necessary to begin with

This was an 1818, when Canada was still a British territory.

Back then it kinda was.

Comment deleted1 month ago(0 children)

"the best offense, is to build up the enemies defenses" -someone that got fired.

3 points · 1 month ago

Whoever decided the placement is a fucking legend.

probably some Lieutenant.

The best defense is a good offense

Did not know this. I used to drive by this Fort all the time and my dad used to take me there with my brothers as a kid a lot when we going to Vermont.

A lot of graffiti on it now which is a shame, but still a neat fact I didn’t know.

We used to play here all the time as kids. It was such an awesome place, abandoned but in plain sight. So many epic paintball games there, and today I feel a bit guilty about being so reckless in a historical place like that but it was great fun as a teen.

It’s neat that it’s still around, but it’s not very historically important. It was a military installation built in the wrong place, not used in any conflicts, stripped bare after being decommissioned; not a work of art or the last remaining artifact of a long dead society. I say enjoy those memories guilt free.

2 points · 1 month ago

I remember going there because my dad worked for the Canadian guy who owned it. There were some structurally unsound parts of the fort even back in the 90s, you’re lucky nothing happened.

If the Rouses Point public library is still open they used to have some prints of the fort before it was blown up for the first bridge.

Oh yeah, we were dumb for sure, I remember a few open pits that you couldn't see until you were right on top of it, combine that with running around shooting at each other and we were very lucky no one got hurt.

Im sure they didnt just try to build it inside canada and use it.

Fort fuckup sounds more appropriate

“Ey guys! Thanks for the fort, eh? It’ll be a good place ta store the maple syrup and polite warriors we’re gonna invade you with! Sorry for the trouble, eh?”

Had it been 100 years later, they would have finished it and just said the land was theirs, taunting Canada to try and take it back if they dared.

Ft. Derp

You guys would be surprised how much of our current borders are just mistakes that we never bothered to fix. Read How The States Got Their Shapes if you like that kind of stuff.

Thats what happens when you send workers to build a fort instead of using a great general

Petition to rebuild it and name it Fort Ward Operating Base.

Canada will be ours.

And the Canadians said "thanks, eh"

Do you think Canada agreed to cede the land because they didn’t want to mess with converting all the units to metric?

Wait, so who would have owned it? Did the US just kind of give up and leave it for us or did they at least lay some sort of claim.

Canada.

haha that's funny. I'm sure our Canadian friends were laughing at them.

“Uh, sir, we built this fort in Canada”

“You mean this fort is surrounded by Canadians?! I knew they’d invade. Thank god we have this fort.”

I used to drive by this fort everyday on the way to work. That is hilarious!!! I kinda always wondered what it’s deal was. Small world

Wait, isn't that border a river?

How does someone not notice that they're crossing the river when starting in the US, and that everything has to be shipped across said river?

Super Maginot...Speck?

Building a wallfort and letting MexicoUSA pay for it!

I wonder if it's for sale?

Grew up near this, and it was a fantastic place to explore when I was a kid.

It wasn't until a few years ago that I learned there was a British/Canadian counterpart just a few miles north up the Richelieu River. If your from the area it's def worth a day trip (when it reopens after conservation work):

'Thanks, guys!'

• Canada, 1820.

Comment deleted1 month ago(1 child)

It's already been 200 years since then, too.

par for the course

Boy, I really hope somebody got fired for that blunder

It was the piece of land that George bought from Oscar, in order to sell it to the government.

The classic blunder. Never start a land war in Canada.

Also, us Canadians burnt down the white house.....

like 9 times I heard.

r/blunderyears hit the US hard

Some, I’d imagine, might say r/blunderyears is still hitting us.

I'd say!!!

Looks like they failed their fort save.

This is totally something I could see happening to my friends and I in some survival game like rust.

The true American way would have been to annex the area and finnishe building it. Then anme it after the conquest of quebec.

/s

-24 points · 1 month ago(2 children)

can't wait for trump to build the northern wall, and in his ineptitude build it on the canadian side hahaha.

Can we at least make him and his administration have to do some of the building? Specifically the Cascades section.

-10 points · 1 month ago(0 children)

Yeah this was back before Canada was an independent country, the threat of British Invasion from the north especially after the American Revolution. Was a very real threat, now a days not so much :)

You shall not forget that we are the only country in the world to burn your White House.

7 more replies

You learn something new every day; what did you learn today? Submit interesting and specific facts about something that you just found out here.

r/todayilearned Rules
1. Inaccurate/unverifiable/not supported by source
2. No personal opinions/anecdotes/subjective posts
3. No recent sources
4. No politics/agenda pushing
5. No misleading claims
6. Too general/can't stand on its own/how to
7. No submissions about software/websites
8. All NSFW links must be tagged.