Posted by
Just wants politics to be interesting
4 months ago

Jonathan Pie on Count Dankula: It's a JOKE!

Yeah, but have you changed a nappy though?

I hope someone reports him for the same crime and a decision has to be taken as to whether to pursue it. This case needs highlighting as much as possible so the courts have to face up to how ridiculous it is or become swamped to the point that enforcing it becomes impossible.

nosey Irish

Just in case, read Jonathan Swift's 1729 A Modest Proposal where he advocates eating babies while you still can.

Should be noted he didn't seriously advocate eating children and it was more his satirical point that being poor and living in poverty is absolutely horrible

I'd argue it absolutely shouldn't' be noted. Explaining it ruins the joke and the joke is very funny.

Liberal Remainer - the new Yellow Peril

Indeed; good satire should always played and seen as straight and serious.

Er, context doesn't matter mate.

Oh dear...

panem et circenses

If it does happen, how about a /r/ukpolitics road trip to do a mass goose step outside the court while Preußens Gloria is blasted from a PA system?

Yeah, but have you changed a nappy though?

That is such a good march. Up there with La Victoire est a Nous. If Brexit does bring war to Europe at least the soundtrack will be epic.

Be the change you want to see!

By "someone" you exclude yourself how?

Everything is historic.
1 point · 4 months ago

Interestingly there's no complainant in the original case, this is purely off the backs of Police Scotland.

What are you, some kind of prophet?

3 more replies

😢No Bongs⏱

"....Everyone else is a fucking coward"

Trufax

1 more reply

I saw my local mp Tommy Sheppard when I was doing some shopping on the high street this afternoon and I stopped him to tell him about the count dancula case and my concerns about the loss of freedom of speech in this country. He said he'd do some research on the case. Can someone tweet him this Pie clip as reddit is the extent of my social media presence?

Just wants politics to be interesting
Original Poster60 points · 4 months ago

thanks

I tweeted my own local MP about this nonsense also. I suggest everyone else does too.

11 more replies

Dankula better appeal this bullshit. Take it to a jury trial.

Has he anyone paying his fees?

I still call them Opal Fruits

I'll chip in

Me too

Me too.

The Book of Truth 🔥

Me too.

He crowdfunded £12k in about 2 days to pay for this trial. Assuming he appeals I will chip in.

Labour announces NHS 2

pretty sure he has a patreon, people like Tommy Robinson and that are supporting him, im sure Gervais and Baddiel would since theyve been pretty outraged about it on twitter. a lot of people would chip in to pay his fees. he needs to appeal this fucking fascist wrongthink bullshit.

I heard Ricky Gervais talking about him and thought if he cares enough he'll donate some money for his fees.

1 more reply

23 more replies

Do not forget, precedent has been set here, intent no longer matters, only consequences do. You say something controversial and someone will take offence. You can be arrested for anything, an excellent tool to silence dissenting voices.

Welcome to modern Britain. Leave your human rights at the door.

Not to nit pick, but precedent has not been set here. He wasn't convicted in a higher Court (High Court/Court of Appeal/Supreme Court). Our values really will be tested when it hits one of those. However, once it does, I hope, if our judiciary has any respect for our most sacred principles, that it overturns this conviction and puts a stop to this worrying trend.

Crappy99, welcome back, we missed you!

That's kind of irrelevant. That he now has to rely on the High Court/Court of Appeal/Supreme Court/UNCHR is a fucking travesty in itself.

I don't disagree.

Fighter of tankies 🇪🇺 George Soros pays me to shill.

UNCHR

United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees?

Lib Dem

They probably mean the European Court of Human Rights (ECHR).

Comment deleted4 months ago(1 child)

Probably not in Israel.

Everything is historic.

It is crap but it's also why we have the appeal process so a dog-shit ruling like this can be overturned.

1 more reply

I guess someone will order a jury trial and they'll tell the prosecution to fuck off.

It won’t get that far, his appeal can only succeed if there was a mistake, legally speaking. There wasn’t. The amount of people on here who think you can just get retrial after retrial until you get to a jury is laughable. That’s not how this works. That’s not how any of this works.

I'm a (soon-to-be) lawyer, and I can assure you that this man has very strong grounds for appeal. Not only that, he will most likely succeed.

7 more replies

This is precisely why the US has free speech as the number one amendment. Governments always get more authoritarian over time unless they're limited by electoral system or a bill or rights that has a high bar to amend.

First past the post is the root cause of all of this. It creates a 2 party oligarchy and whoever's in power can basically get away with whatever they want with a majority. Your only recourse is to vote for the other main party which inevitably goes in exactly the same direction. We need a more proportional electoral system and public initiated referendums to hold the government in check. Otherwise the trend will continue and we're all fucked.

FPTP is not to blame. A pr system would lead to the same. it's very sad but a majority of people in this country do NOT understand the importance of absolute free speech and it's relationship to our own freedom.

if you ask people on a case by case basis whether extremely offensive content should be banned most would say yes to most. They'd want to ban the EDL, the religous extremists and bad taste humour.

for example there is current a big campaign y clamp down on online bullying, not including incitement of violence, what is the difference between me being offensive towards a culture (like the pug was) or offenice towards a person?

what the UK really needs is either a consistution or politicans with a backbone.

The issue was not the pug raising its leg, it was the defendant repeatedly stating "gas the jews" in order to get the pug to do that.

The Daily Mail told me I steal jobs

There's no such thing as absolute freedom of speech. The United States doesn't have it either. This is a problem of a case law based court system.

FPTP is a major part of the issue. It prevents small parties from getting anywhere and competing with the 2 dominant parties. This means if a small party wanted to concern itself with personal freedoms primarily, they couldn't get enough votes to threaten the main parties so they have no influence. UKIP took over 20 years to get 1 MP despite getting a decent proportion of the vote. They would have got a higher proportion of the vote under another system because people would be voting for who they actually wanted to win as apposed to voting for one party to stop the other.

The whole point is this will never happen under our electoral system. There is very limited representation. We won't get a consistution unless we can elect people that will make it. That won't happen now. It's either labour or tory forever and neither of them will want to restrict their own power in any way.

The fact that very few understand that the root cause of most issues is FPTP makes me pretty hopeless. Nothing will ever change until people understand the problem.

I mean... Nazi symbols/behaviour, regardless of intent, is illegal in Germany. Do they have no human rights also?

Comment deleted4 months ago(5 children)

I think we can agree that the point stands, as the "Nazi pug" was in no way meant to be "educational" and would have received similar treatment in a German court.

Comment deleted4 months ago(0 children)

Okay, my point being that free societies can deem certain symbols and behaviours obscene without turning into Orwellian dystopia.

This is very much an exception not the rule, and will probably be overturned on appeal anyway.

Germany hasn't banned the swastika because they're concerned about offence, they banned it because they're concerned about a new reich spontaneously springing up.

I would argue that as speculation, but I do not know enough about post-WWII German culture to state otherwise.

The thing that is a removal of human rights is the wilful ignorance of context. Context is everything in a rational society. It is fair to say the context of Nazi symbolism in Germany is different to the UK for obvious reasons.

But the point remains, I feel, that free societies can deem certain symbols/behaviour obscene without turning into oppressive dystopias.

I feel this is very much the exception rather than the new rule, and will probably be thrown out on appeal anyway. I do not believe this is a case of the "slippery slope."

Agreed. Is this guy being tried under a hate-speech law or a communication law?

I think that there are very valid reasons to have hate-speech laws, provided they are enforced correctly and context it taken into account.

I'm offended by this comment.

a full and proper Brexit 🍺

We’re building a United Kingdom of offence taking 🌹

What has been said that’s controversial?

That gassing Jews is bad? That’s hardly controversial. I doubt few would agree otherwise.

If he’s a satirist, I can’t see what he’s satirising.

I can’t see him as anything over than a teenage troll trapped in the body of a 30 year old man.

15 more replies

Highlights: fucking the Von Trapps and overuse of the word cunt.

Million to one chances crop up 9 times in 10
1 point · 4 months ago

overuse of the word cunt.

That's hardly a major highlight of a Pie video. It's part of the format.

Centre-right, probably

Agree with his point about not abandoning this fight, just because some nasty people are also fighting against it. Also his point about reclaiming the argument of free speech from the far-right, as it's pretty embarrassing that they are the primary ones supporting free speech.

Plaid Cymru | Remain | -5.38, -3.44

I’ve been saying it for years, the British Left needs to get its shit together with civil liberties and get its head out of this rancid American identity politics nonsense.

Centre-right, probably

Indeed, the identity politics isn't even winning them votes, never mind it being retarded.

I agree. Leaving the EU for example, is historicly a very left wing agenda (Benn, Corbyn...).

I think the reason most on the left and the young clamoured to the remain camp was more about not being associated with Farage than because they actually thought that option was better than the other.

Centrist & enemy of the people

That's a myth to be honest. The far right do not support free speech at all. They only call for 'free speech' when it means them trying to offend people or not be called out for white nationalism etc.

They regularly call for people they oppose to be silenced. Hell just look at GamerGate and the amount of hatred and energy they wasted over a woman making a YouTube series on video games.

The far right only support free speech when it suits them. You aren't going to see any of them supporting a Muslims right to preach Islam in the street for instance.

6 more replies

Once again, Pie is spot on!

This is a fucking travesty.

R.I.P. Freedom of Speech.

30 more replies

There was a guy the other week mentioned on the BBC and Daily Mail, The Sun, etc, selling offensive greetings cards. Jimmy Savile father's day card, one with Shannon Matthews, etc.

So obviously I looked at them all, laughed heartily at some, and ordered them. Support a local businessman and all that. I got a message the next day that due to unprecedented demand, my order would be delayed.

They're here if anyone else wants one.

Dark humour is the best humour and I'm clearly not the only person to think so.

Glad this guy got the publicity he deserved. Hope he sold a barrell-load!

a full and proper Brexit 🍺

That’s hatepol! 😭

Please be aware I'm in a safe space

Can’t help but feel Pie wanted someone in the court to react to his video here.

Best Pie in a while.

I’ve been waiting for him to talk about this, and he didn’t disappoint!

nationalist - Third Position

Give it 17 days before he's arrested. Great form with the arm as well, that will work against him in court.

just out of interest has anyone seen the actual ruling?

Apparently not

bre-verb-er
1 point · 4 months ago

Looks like there's a delay before they're published typically so I think that's why I couldn't find it on the courts site. Or I'm looking in the wrong place: https://www.scotcourts.gov.uk/search-judgments/sheriff-court

May only come out on sentencing, not sure as i generally dont bother with court cases at this level as they dont set legal precedent.

they dont set legal precedent.

Really? Thank fuck for that

No. Would have be bumped up a few levels of our legal system to do that. This could easily be overturned at appeal

bre-verb-er
1 point · 4 months ago

Ah that would make sense, there didn't seem to be an obvious pattern to the delay.

Capable of describing Lidl

I really wish the defendant would bring private prosecutions against the judge, the procsecution lawyers, and anyone else who said the words 'gas the jews' at any point during the case, since context and intent are irrelevant.

I think the most important thing he mentioned was that just because some bad people have supported an idea, it doesn't mean its bad thing.

He is right, people like Tommy Robinson and Katie Hopkins (who surprisingly seem to holding the high ground) who are questionable at best, believe in a principle, and because of this, people believe it is inherently bad.

Tommy Robinson does speak a lot of uncomfortable truths though

I also have never actually heard him say anything racist. Maybe I missed it, but it seems as his reputation is far worse than the things he actually says.

Yep never onve have I heard him actually talk about race in fact.

If someone has proof hes said anything racist, then id like to see it

a creepy, lonely communist - according to -John--
3 points · 4 months ago · edited 4 months ago

Every single Muslim watching this... on 7/7 you got away with killing and maiming British citizens... you had better understand that we have built a network from one end of the country to the other end... and the Islamic community will feel the full force of the English Defense League if we see any of our British citizens killed, maimed, or hurt on British soil ever again. (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8j7IX_5a_9M&feature=youtu.be)

There you go. For clarity, blaming or holding all Muslims responsible for the actions of a few utter cretins and then going on to essentially state that the entire 'Islamic community' will be punished for those actions. Why is this so bad? Well it means that you could morally justify holding a random person on the street to account for something they had no hand in just because they happen to be Muslim.

That's not to say he's not entirely correct about this current issue though, I'm quite disgusted that there aren't more public figures coming to the defence of this guy.

You had to go all the way back to 2011 and find something that he has apologised for and admitted he was wrong about. And that wasn't racist, btw.

Personally I don't think he's a bad guy, just guilty of talking like a football yob and guilty by association with the EDL. He's not a politician and doesn't choose his words very well.

a creepy, lonely communist - according to -John--
1 point · 4 months ago · edited 4 months ago

I didn't have to, that's just one his more well known quotes and yes he apologised for it but it was still said. I'll hazard a guess that you wouldn't call it racist because 'Islam isn't a race' but it's a close enough description of condemning an entire group for the actions of a few fuckwits.

I'm not saying one way or the other if he's a bad guy or not, personally I couldn't care less, but he is a convicted criminal which speaks to his character, in part at least. No he's not a politician, never said or implied he was and not choosing your words very well doesn't excuse him from what he's said in past, he's very vocal about his hatred of Islam (which he's perfectly entitled to be) but doesn't appear to be able to differentiate a radical terrorist from the thousands of regular people who just want to get on with their lives and just happen to be Muslim.

I'm all for parts of what he says, not letting radicals back into the UK etc but if he's going to speak publicly on such sensitive topics then he really needs to be more precise otherwise he's going to continue to be typecast as an atypical racist yob. If you mean guilty by association with the EDL because he was a member, then I see nothing wrong with that. They didn't force him to join, he did so of his own accord and that should be taken into account when considering what he's said.

I didn't have to, that's just one his more well known quotes

No, it's all you've got, which you try to dress up as "one of his more well known quotes". And he's right - fully one in four British Muslims had sympathy with the insanity of the Charlie Hebdo attack, plus many more damning statistics.

Thankfully, people are waking up to just how bad the Islam problem is in this country. And a lot of Europe has already woken up - AFD, Lega etc.

1 more reply

You don’t have to put it in quote marks, it’s a fact. And no, it’s not ‘close enough’. Something either is racist or it isn’t. To suggest that you can just call anyone ‘close enough’ racist downplays actual racism.

Again, I haven’t seen all of his content, but I have seen videos where he specifically says that most Muslims are normal people. If you have any recent videos of him saying that all Muslims are guilty, please link them as I would hate to defend somebody who says that.

They didn’t force him to join

He founded the EDL, and then left later, because (from Wiki):

Robinson told the BBC that he was dismayed to discover that the EDL's ranks had been swollen with racist and neo-Nazi supporters: "I've battled for four years to keep certain elements out of this movement, to keep it down the path that we want to take it down. And I've seen that they've been welcomed back, they're the Nazis and the fascists—they were welcomed back.“

14 more replies

Islam is not a race.

But it's still an unpleasant message. I suspect he'd regret it these days.

He got his point across quite well at his Oxford Union speech.

6 more replies

THis was fucking 7 years ago. Hes no longer with the EDL.

Have you got anything recent? Im not of the opinion people cant change their mind or that their opinions almost a decade ago are the same as today

And after a highly charged terrorist attack, his anger was understandable, if misplaced

a creepy, lonely communist - according to -John--
1 point · 4 months ago

If someone has proof hes said anything racist, then id like to see it

No where in your request does it mention a time frame. You asked for something, i responded. I've not spoken to his attitudes more recently, in fact as much as I dislike him I do find him to have far more valid arguments recently than anytime in the past.

OK but doesnt it tell you that made he has changed? I dont follow the EDL, never did and will. I have not seen him say anything racist since he was dissassociated from them some years ago.

a creepy, lonely communist - according to -John--
1 point · 4 months ago

It tells me he might have changed one of his core beliefs, or he realised that he could become more mainstream by not airing it quite so much. Either way it doesn't really matter, I don't have to like him to see the validity in some of his recent points and agreeing with those points doesn't stop him being the guy that gifted us the EDL in the first place.

Well it was just a reaction to the extreme political correctness that the elites fostered. When you try and censor conversations, extreme opposing views will pop up.

No he doesn't

Im afraid he does. You might not like it. But thats why its an uncomfortable truth

5 more replies

Such as? Not being funny, I don't know a lot about him.

Islamic rape epidemic, the fact that islamic leaders have encouraged muslims to come here and out breed us. Those are documented facts

Far Centre

I suppose JP is alt right now.

I suppose there's a quota on how many people need to be labelled alt right every week?

12 more replies

Everything is historic.

Also David Baddiel.

They're all a shower of shit

He won't like to hear that being the far left socialist he is! ;)

13 more replies

The usual "ctrl-left" types seem to be taking a low profile here. They don't want to appear to support someone who says "gas the jews", but they're also not convinced that this is a huge victory for the left.

Normally when someone they dislike gets into trouble, there's a whole lot of hooting and screeching on social networks. The only people talking about it seem to be those on the right and those who typically hold a strong pro-freedom-of-speech position.

1 point · 4 months ago

Why do you say that?

5 more replies

Million to one chances crop up 9 times in 10

Jump to 3:50 for maximum triggering

a full and proper Brexit 🍺

I don’t understand context or intent 😭

Quality

How and where can I donate this man's legal fees?

It's ok to be a pooskin

There is loads of fake go fund me accounts do not donate. If you want to help him find his patreon.

😢No Bongs⏱

5 more replies

a full and proper Brexit 🍺

SO MUCH FUCKING THIS

Sad to see people here willing along the Scottish courts in convicting this bloke because the requisite number of comedians or representatives of the left haven’t spoken up for him.

Love Pie. Glad he's taking a strong stance on this

That was really cathartic. He said all that needed to be said. Now there just needs to be action.

I thought it was already common knowledge that free speech here wasn't the best...

😡vore the rich😡

Count dankula should go to jail for two reasons

1. being a youtuber

2. calling himself count dankula

I love how this is all falsely being blamed on the left and 'political correctness'

nah, look at the dates. this case stems from 2016, in April. The height of the rights fraudulent 'labour anti semitic epidemic' slur campaign against corbyn etc.

thats why this was prosecuted. this is literally the right wing media/tories own making.

Million to one chances crop up 9 times in 10

The law under which he was convicted was passed in 2003.

And opposed by Rowan Atkinson back then. He was right.

It’s actually fascinating looking back to old BBC archives from the 00s when all this stuff was being brought in. The government assurances all proven false in the long term. The critics all proven correct.

It’s long enough ago though that too many people think it can be no other way. Otherwise they should repeal the lot.

Far Centre

The law under which he was convicted was passed in 2003.

Under Labour for anyone wondering.

Yeah, it's almost like labour were in charge of government for the entire span of the popularization of the internet. Thus being responsible for all regulation of it. In 1997 when Labour came into government, 27% of households had a computer. By 2010, each household had 27 computers.

Labour announces NHS 2

ah, so if its just Labour that wants people like this being jailed for jokes, why didnt the Tories do anything in their 7 years of power to repeal it?

Far Centre

Because they're a useless shower of shit also.

Labour announces NHS 2

Welcome to politics. all parties are.

a full and proper Brexit 🍺
1 point · 4 months ago

Because who do you think would be the first to cause a song and dance about it?

As a fellow Leftie, can you expand upon how you're managing to blame the Tories for legislation put in place by New Labour?

I'm not a fan of the Tories either, but I think you're reaching here. And yes, Freedom of Speech has been under attack for the past few years by both sides of the divide. However, most notably the Left (I'm ashamed to type) have been at the forefront of this. e.g. people rioting over Milo Twatannopoulos giving a talk at Berkeley College, rather than people actually debating the twunt and showing him for the pseudo-intellectual, walking contradiction he is.

Just wants politics to be interesting
Original Poster18 points · 4 months ago

I think you might have replied to the wrong guy

Yup, I did. Doh! Thanks for pointing this out. Still, I won't repost it, as I think it's obvious who I'm actually replying to, no?

Just wants politics to be interesting
Original Poster4 points · 4 months ago

Yeah was just concerned /u/forallmyfans2 wouldn't see it. Ah well, guess they will now!

Aye, and s/he's already replied to it below, so... Think I got away with that stupid mistake. :)

eh, I don't buy this narrative that the left are attacking freedom of speech more than the right.

Whether it's gay people saying they love each other, women wanting careers, people suggesting soldiers aren't heroes, the list goes on and on and on with beliefs which outrage the right because they bring into question their core traditional opinions.

For every idea which the left want to censor there's an idea which is already censored that the left want to un-censor.

I don't think either side are really fighting for total freedom of speech. I think the left are trying to move the bubble of permissible speech towards them and the right are trying to keep it where it is.

Best of both Brexits

Pictures of young naked women are fun, in Titbits, and Mayfair, Page 3 of The Sun. There are no nudes in Gay News our one magazine, but they still find excuses to call it obscene.

So Labour is both anti-Semitic and behind the law going against “gas the Jews”?

Fuck your knowing winks and fuck your self-aware nods.

Hypocrisy exists?

It's a bit of a myth it's just the left doing this. We had six years or so of the relationship ramping through the streets. A terrorist attack at unite the right. Right wing assaults at speakers corners etc. There's s very specific agenda being pushed. Four people shout a bit at mogg and it's national news. 50 people surround and assault that lad at speakers corner and nothing gets mentioned.

I didn't type that it's JUST the Left doing this. I merely pointed out that the Left is not innocent of this crime; far from it. It was in fact YOU who decided to blame the Tories exclusively, and thus I pulled you up on your fiction.

8 more replies

2 more replies

2 more replies

🍄🌛

If you have a look at the response to it in /r/Scotland for example you will see plenty of left leaning people blaming him for associating with far right people etc.

Either people are absolutely delighted that censorship is going on or they're unable to grasp the principle that justice/rights should apply not just to people you like.

I'm pretty convinced by this point that its both.

I have no doubt that trying to spin a career from it and getting in deep with the racist right didn't help him when the court decided intent.

And I expect it but a lot of famous people off supporting him. Surprised Frankie Boyle remained silent. It's clearly nothing but comedy .

But even now he's jumping on the band wagon with racist lead (and false) claims of white genocide in south Africa etc

Crappy99, welcome back, we missed you!

Frankie Boyle, who's currently perfecting his Oxford English accent so he doesn't get as many complaints when he says the word "cunt"?

Guy's a sell-out to everything that made him relevant.

Your implication is that there was actually no problem with anti-semitism in the Labour party, it was all just a Conservative conspiracy?

Pull the other one, it's got bells on.

It's interpretation of law.
And we shouldn't blame left or right. We should be calling it as we it. Call it terrible, a sham, a joke. But it's not a left or right issue

the cps is absolutely victim to political and press pressures. this case is a strong example of that.

1 more reply

Liberal Conservative

Oh please it's the far left morons who keep attacking people for anything they find offensive.

I too love to set up strawman to knock down

If it wasn't for the left, homosexuality would still get you castrated.

Liberal Conservative

Yeah these aren't the same people.

It's the left who push for "hate speech" to be banned. It's the left who try to equate offensive speech to violence (which is the justification they use to silence and punish). Sure it's the Tories fault, but don't pretend Labour wouldn't enforce the exact same laws. They are all authoritarian. The Tories aren't even that right wing either. Saying this is a product of the right wing is just wrong. Political correctness is absolutely a creation of the left.

It is political correctness. The BBC who are super left wing didnt want to report on rapes because the perps were muslim gangs.

The BBC who are super left wing

k

LOL you dont think so???

They aren't, they are establishment biased. If you think they are super left wing now I can't imagine what you'll think of them the next time labour are in power.

I'm also guessing you don't really remember the last time labour were in power?

Unfortunately I do.

I cant remember them being pro Iraq war, funny enough

Everything is historic.
1 point · 4 months ago

They weren't anti-Iraq.

But then most of the public was pro Iraq war (though we tend to revise that bit of history now).

Who were? Did you forget a near million person anti war march?.

2 more replies

hi also guessing you don't really remember the last time labour were in power

bad bot

1 more reply

Centre-right, probably

It should be blame on political correctness, which is not inherently left-wing, but in these cases it obviously is.

I agree we do not need to point fingers here but hopefully we can agree it is worrying precedent in UK Law.

Remember when the UK had stop and search under the terrorism act and the police used it to stop protesters and young black men and many more who were not suspected terrorists? It was later deemed illegal by EU courts.

We need to be careful allowing the government have too much power.

The UK is fucking finished. We have sewn our own demise by allowing the culture of political correctness to overtake common sense. We are done, snoggered.

I get where you're coming from but I don't think you can argue political correctness is overtaking common sense and the UK is "finished". It wasn't too long ago that saying "I want a man to butt-fuck me" would lead to chemical castration. Go a bit further back and suggesting women should be able to vote would get you fired from public office. Hell, until 2008 the UK had laws against blasphemy (although the last prosecution was in 1977). If that's not political correctness gone mad then I don't know what is.

This idea that thought policing is a modern phenomenon is just demonstrably untrue. As a country we are far freer to say what we want now than we ever have been in history.

And besides, look how outraged everyone is. Because a man is getting prosecuted for teaching a dog how to nazi salute for a laugh. I really don't think you would have to go back more than 20 years before people would get outraged if he didn't get prosecuted.

We've never had total freedom of speech. But we're far closer to it now than we ever have been before.

He's no worse than what Monty Python were doing in the sixties

Best of both Brexits

But they were, at least, funny.

So he's guilty of the crime of not being funny? He'd you laughed, if would have been legal

3 more replies

So was he. Just because you've stuck the PC stick fifteen feet up your hole doesn't mean the rest of us have.

Personally I find a pug doing a nazi salute pretty funny.

(Subjectivity of humour is pretty important here)

1 more reply

13 more replies

We're definitely heading down the road to tyranny at this point though. We're certainly not being given more freedoms. Only losing them thanks to the authoritarians in power. I'd agree with the other guy, as soon as you lose freedom of speech you are finished as a country, it's only a matter of time.

5 more replies

They're all a shower of shit
1 point · 4 months ago

Was the needle and thread intentional? Because it made it so much funnier! :)

Ceterum censeo pauperes delendos esse
Ceterum censeo pauperes delendos esse

And хайль Сталин just so no genocidal maniacs feel left out.

I am offended. Please go to jail.

a full and proper Brexit 🍺

Go directly to jail.

Do not pass Go.

a full and proper Brexit 🍺

Do not collect £200

Comment deleted4 months ago(24 children)

so... because antifa incites literal violence he's against free speech? thats a fair bit of a stretch.

4 points · 4 months ago · edited 4 months ago

so... because antifa incites literal violence he's against free speech?

Jews werent gassed then? Freedom of speech for some*** is how we got to this point.

Fuck your knowing winks and fuck your self-aware nods.

It's freedom to teach a dog to be a nazi and criminality to punch people in the face for social justice.

Football fan punch each other in the face all the time, why antifa specifically? if he's saying nazi things, hanging out with the far right and openly wanting to proscribe anti-fascist behaviour it's as easy to see through his excuses just as "lol im just training my dog guys" was to the judge.

Fuck your knowing winks and fuck your self-aware nods.
1 point · 4 months ago

He wanted to proscribe violent political groups. Teaching a dog to salute to nazi phrases is more South Park than Sudetenland. Hanging with Sargon of Akkad makes you a nerd not a nordisch supremacist.

sure they (and several other groups) were gassed almost 70 years ago. but he isn't advocating for literally gassing the jews. he's turning his girlfriends pug into a joke by getting it excited.

and honestly its as easy as saying you aren't part of antifa to not get hit with terrorism charges.

15 more replies

I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.

Whatever the views of the man are irrelevant. It is a freedom of speech issue.

You sound like a 10 year old American. You'll do no such thing.

But I'm sure you can find a court case where someone is being sued for breaking an NDA or something. Maybe you can go sacrifice yourself there?

1 more reply

Still on about the edgelord who wants free speech for himself but not for groups he doesnt like?

I always misread this as Count Dracula.

Have you not heard of Count Duckula?

1 more reply

-9 points · 4 months ago(20 children)

I am not sure I understand your point.

I can also make a bad joke referencing the nazis that is not condemning them for instance:

A: "Did you heard about the lady who was ran over by Hitler?"
B: "No, I guess she did nazi him coming"

Is that joke okay? Is it about offense? How do we measure that objectively?

8 more replies

11 more replies

79 more replies

Political news and debate concerning the United Kingdom.

How to Vote

You need to be on the electoral register to vote in elections and referendums.

Resources

House of Commons Library Constituency Dashboard & Hansard

Subreddit Rules & Guidelines

Anything not specifically concerning politics in the UK or geopolitics involving the UK will be considered spam and removed.

While robust debate is encouraged, at least try to keep things civil. This sub is for people with a wide variety of views, and as such you will come across content, views and people you don't agree with. Political views from a wide spectrum are tolerated here.

• Reddiquette
  • Headline titles should be changed only where it improves clarity. Headline changes that introduce editorialization or rhetoric will be removed. Please express your personal opinion in the comments, not the headline. The subhead or a line from the 1st paragraph are accepted as well, although the headline is preferable.
  • If you want to discuss a specific point of an article rather than the article itself then please use a self post for this.
  • Links to long form journalism/analysis that are older than 12 months should be tagged with the month and year of publishing. News articles that are older than 2 months should be submitted as part of a text post detailing why they are relevant today.
  • All polls submitted should be in the form of a self post, not a link.
  • Tweets are acceptable, so long as they are from journalists, pollsters, politicians and so forth. Tweets from random members of the public are not.
  • Submissions or comments complaining about the moderation, biases or users of other subreddits will be removed.
  • Do not use URL shorteners.
  • No meme posts
  • Submitting your own content is perfectly fine, but make it clear that it's your own content, don't take the piss, and read the site wide guidance on self promotion written by the admins.
  • Pointless "DAE hate <party name> scum!?" comments and submissions will be removed.
  • Flair should not contain links. Links in flair will be deleted without warning, repeat offenders will be banned.
  • If you see racism, please report it.
  • Taking issue with immigration or refugee policy is not racist by default.
  • If you have any questions or concerns about moderation, feel free to ask, we'll be happy to discuss it even if we can't reach agreement. Some issues are best handled in modmail however.
  • If you report something, be descriptive and state what the issue is. If it's a serious problem, please contact the moderation team and remember to include a link.
  • Read the rules before reporting a post.
  • If your post vanishes or never shows up, please contact the moderation team and remember to include a link.
  • Mime artists are strictly forbidden.
  • These rules are not exhaustive, moderators reserve the right to moderate (or not) where it is felt to be appropriate.
Other Subreddits

20,122 subscribers

r/UKhistory

6,185 subscribers

r/AskUK

34,273 subscribers

r/ukpolitics Rules
Racism, sexism, homophobia et al
Editorialized Submission Title
Article Age
Complaining about other subreddits
Not UK politics
Paywall link with no copy/paste
Insults and/or Name calling