Autistic boy handcuffed by school “rent a cop”.

From the video description:

This is the first 3 minutes of an unedited bodycam video that shows my 10yr old, twice exceptional autistic son being mistreated at the hands of his SPED teacher and an SRO officer that works for Denton PD, in Denton, Texas.

The police report indicates that my son was a serious threat to others citing that he poked a kid with an eraser and was swinging a computer mouse around other children; however this is NOT shown on the video.

Do you ever hear this officer try to talk to him or his teacher? He was not posing a serious imminent threat to himself or others at this time; therefore I believe this is excessive.

twice exceptional autistic son

what does this mean?

"Twice exceptional, often abbreviated as 2e, entered educators' lexicons in mid 1990s and refers to gifted children who have some form of disability."wikipedia

That is a very interesting use of langauge. Next time someone calls me a functional alcoholic im saying im twice exceptional.

you are an asshole; i thought you should know.

You sound like my boss, and my parents, and my wife, and my therapist, and my priest, and my children.

Thrice exceptional.

-7 points · 7 days ago(2 children)

Whose we? Did you think alcoholic means superb or amazing? I have no idea what youre attempting to say.

-8 points · 7 days ago(0 children)

An autistic savant.

-18 points · 7 days ago(More than 10 children)
6 points · 7 days ago · edited 7 days ago

You post in kontakuinaction...are you sure you're not the one with the mental handicap. I mean, at least this kids a savant.

nice muprhy's law

"Anything that can go wrong will go wrong" ?

the misspelled version of murphy's law is the tendency of people making spelling errors while correcting someone else

You have lost me utterly...what spelling mistake? Who corrected who?

ahh i see I spelled kotaku wrong, well considering its a trash sub reddit it's for the best if no one actually goes there.

He means the extra N in KotakuInAction.

Yeah, I just realised. I still dont get his comment about Murphy law though.

You post in /r/kontakuinaction

i'm fairly sure you meant /r/kotakuinaction

however, i wonder why you passed up on even more handicapped subreddits i have comments on, such as worldnews and videos

exceptional is an euphemism for a retard, so she's possibly saying her son is a double retard.

I nearly fell off the toilet laughing at this

-13 points · 7 days ago(0 children)

Amazing that the Denton PD can so quickly handcuff a child, but when I call them for an active DD between my neighbor and her boyfriend trying to break her door down threatening to kill her, they take over 20 minutes to respond. We live less than 1/4 mile away from the station.

What fucking sicko puts their knee down on a kid like that and pushes their face into the carpet... what a piece of shit.

-7 points · 7 days ago(2 children)
5 points · 7 days ago

What are generalizations for 500 alex.

A useful heuristic. Just like when people generalize nazis.

Doesn't even seem like the kid is freaking out that much, especially like the ones I've volunteered with.

Also, just as an FYI OP, this guy isn't a "rent a cop". He's an actual police officer employed by the local police department and posted to the school as a resource officer.

That’s even more concerning than the alternative. He deserves less respect and recognition than a rent-a-cop. He bullies small children. That cow bitch of a teacher seems horrible too.

26 points · 7 days ago

Child was not aggressive, child was not screaming, child was experiencing sensory input issues. Resource officer should not restrained the boy. The only time he made noise was when the officer touched him.

My step son is on the autism spectrum and he's had some meltdowns...but this...this is nothing. For an adult male to be handling someone else's child like this, is simply outrageous. If I had been there, I would have secured the officer to the ground For the way he was touching that boy.

15 points · 7 days ago

I've had my fair share of experience handling people on the spectrum, and I support your comment completely. Only the question: why the emphasis on the adult male? I think if the officer had no shlong the kid would've been equally distressed in this situation

-11 points · 7 days ago(3 children)
5 points · 7 days ago

I feel like there is diminishing returns on strength of man vs woman when interacting with a child. The child's strength pales in comparison to both

-4 points · 7 days ago

Ehhhhh this kid is about 10 years old and the officer was going through it trying to restrain him, albeit incorrectly. You believe a 110lb woman would have even had a chance?

2 points · 7 days ago

Would a 150lb woman have a chance?

I do agree that a man would have like, 2x the strength of a woman, but is that 2x needed? Not sure here.

For an adult to be handling someone else's child like this, is simply outrageous

Fixed.

-4 points · 7 days ago

It was right the first time, the officer being male may mean nothing to you, but It means everything to an autistic child. Especially if he has ODD and/or issues with authority. Usually males are associated with authority and aggression, while a woman usually associated with nurturing . Not always true, however, that's how it goes.

EDIT: unusually<usually

So then a female grabbing this child and forcibly restraining them in the same way would be significantly less traumatic?

-1 points · 7 days ago

To you and I, there is is no difference. To the boy, one is probably worse than the other. And thats just from my experience.

I think you should probably clarify your original comment then to specify that you’re talking about your experiences with autistic children because while I know the video involves an autistic child, it reads differently. I’m far from a redpiller or angsty MRA dunce, and what you say about men being seen as authority figures does hold true in confused older patients I’ve had, so I’m not saying you’re wrong. I just think your comment could probably use some clarification.

-8 points · 7 days ago(2 children)

Like I said, has little to do with being tough.

- Reddit Tough Guy 2018

-7 points · 7 days ago(6 children)
7 points · 7 days ago

Wow, you trigger easy

-11 points · 7 days ago(0 children)
5 points · 7 days ago

Lol yes I see that. You gonna be ok?

I don't know, my veins are still throbbing.

Cuuuuuuuunt.

4 points · 7 days ago

He's not "acting like a little shit", he is a child struggling with a disorder that he doesn't understand. Are you really so lacking in empathy that you think a grown man holding a kid's nose into the ground like a dog is a reasonable response to this? Yikes

-51 points · 7 days ago(12 children)
18 points · 7 days ago

Not at all. Just happen to work in the mental health profession, and know how to handle these situations. Has nothing to do with being a badass. Has everything to do with reading a situation. This officer only escalated a situation with a child with mental disabilities, whom couldn't regulate himself at that current time.

I work as a nurse in a setting with these children and you are right. Restraining them only makes it worse.

There wasnt even a need to restrain him from what I could tell.

2 points · 7 days ago

I agree with you, but "securing the officer" would also only escalate the situation.

No way. Dude's a badass. He would have gave him a roundhouse kick and a RKO. Game over.

Stop.

Perhaps, but I don't like standing by while adults assault children.

2 points · 7 days ago

I'm not sure this would be considered assault, but I'd be interested to know if it was.

-1 points · 7 days ago
-18 points · 7 days ago(0 children)
1 point · 7 days ago

Decided to star a new troll account eh

The fuck does that mean? Probably about as much as my post.

Comment deleted7 days ago(1 child)

While praying, don't forget to thank God for making him autistic in the first place.

6 points · 7 days ago

They should have just left him in the area he put himself in. He was probably feeling overwhelmed so put himself into a small area to feel safer. He was not making noise or disturbing anyone.

I think perhaps the feeling that something must be done overrode the common sense feeling that the boy would have been better in that situation left alone.

If it escalated then do something. But to me they escalated the situation.

The adults definitely didn’t handle the situation correctly! They should not be working with children. The child was not doing anything that required him being restrained. This behaviour should be condemned

-19 points · 7 days ago(13 children)

I dont know why people are supporting that policeman. It doesn't even matter if he was autistic or not. He is a child

Comment deleted7 days ago(0 children)
3 points · 7 days ago

What are you even talking about man?

Autism is a broad spectrum, and yes, meltdowns can become violent. My step son is one who will become violent, and he needs to be restrained. I also work with adults with autism that also need to be restrained. This child did NOT need to be restrained.

He is apparently a danger to himself and those around him and unless his behaviour is altered and he learns to submit to authority he will become a danger to society at large at which point he should be incarcerated. Funny how quick you are to enable this child and condemn him to a life where he doesn't have any control of his future.

I’m sure your local police force is in need of blowjobs. You should go offer your services. Maybe after you can lick their boots clean too.

Happy cake day my dude

Thanks man! I had no idea I’ve been perusing Reddit with a big-ass piece of cake next to my name.

Na, it's OK. I'll let you handle all that on your own since you are so well versed in their needs.

4 points · 7 days ago

This was an autistic kid. The video shows him doing nothing but hiding in a locker. You're a piece of shit. Please don't have kids yourself, and if you already do, do them and the world a favor and give them up for adoption.

Wow, looks like we got an expert here. So your a child psychologist right?

I did study developmental psychology at university. How does it feel to fail when appealing to authority?

Then God help us all if that's what you learnt from your studies oh mighty master of the mind.

5 points · 7 days ago

this is very sad ;(

8 points · 7 days ago · edited 7 days ago

Alright. Preparing for downvotes.

Firstly, your sound isn't broken so don't turn up the video. The officer turns the sound on a bit into the video.

Now my opinion: I saw this title and wanted to be infuriated but I'm simply not.

We do not have history with this child. He could very well have a history of self harm. These handcuffs may very well be serving to protect the child from himself. I myself would scratch and hit myself about the face as a youth. (I mostly hit my legs as an adult)

Also, the officer seems to have some history with the child.

I was disheartened by the video, I do not like seeing children in distress but this looks like two people doing their jobs and nothing more.

Edit: what a bummer. I mean, I knew that I wouldn't be in the majority but I thought I articulated myself well enough. I had high hopes that votes wouldn't be used emotionally but I suppose that was a tall order.

21 points · 7 days ago

Did you watch the longer second video? Where he's pressed against the floor while handcuffed, let out, then handcuffed some more for throwing tissues and "resisting" for the better part of an hour? The child is not endangering any of the 3 adults guarding him in this empty room. These people might be just trying to do their jobs, but if you have to resort to treating autistic 10yos like dangerous criminals as punishment, maybe you shouldn't be in charge of children.

I dunno where I really stand on the situation, but it seems like he has a history of acting out and self harm (from the later part of the video where the mom shows up). So I can understand the handcuffs and the restraint to prevent him from hurting himself. I think it's evident that none of the school personnel know how to properly handle him, but I also don't know what the right way would be.

-6 points · 7 days ago(More than 11 children)
3 points · 7 days ago

It's littered across all two hours. Just skip through 5 seconds at a time on youtube and you'll see more than enough.

I watched the first five minutes when it was first linked to me. It was nothing that I didn't expect. It did not change my opinion.

2 points · 7 days ago

If you want to have an opinion about an event you should take the time to watch the second video in its entirety.

-7 points · 7 days ago(0 children)

He said should, not must

-6 points · 7 days ago(0 children)

Because a prerequisite is necessary while an ought isn't. You "ackshually'ed" something he never claimed

I see, you won. You're prize is my eternal adoration.

What word shall I replace prerequisite with?

There isn't one that'd have it make sense. He expressed a sentiment which you said you agree with

4 points · 7 days ago · edited 7 days ago

I agree. He could absolutely be overstepping and doing something he shouldn't be, but we don't know what either of those people are like. Maybe he recognises a series of behaviours that lead up to the kid having other issues? Maybe it's something he's been asked to do in the past.

People should avoid jumping right to solid conclusions when all they have is an out of context video.

Those were my thoughts as well, that this may be the pattern of behavior that comes before a full blown melt down and that both the teacher and officer recognized this pattern.

according to the claims of the video the kid had been swinging a mouse around and poking kids with an eraser which is fairly dangerous base activity - AND the officer said "we're back to where we were the other day" indicating that this isn't new behavior.

IMO the kid shouldn't even be in a normal school if he shows these sorts of signs of aggression (enough to warrant being removed from classrooms, let alone potentially needing to be restrained some times - WHICH MAY BE OVERBOARD I am certainly willing to admit.).

IDK if the parents had been told about this before, or how they handle their kid at home... certainly a lot of pieces missing. It looks excessive and like they don't really know how to handle the kid properly in the video so I can agree with a lot of people there but folks gotta get off their high fuckin emotional horses and think about these things with more logic and reason-ability. We sit here on reddit and judge these videos without nearly enough knowledge and pretend we know something - to the people who are like that, fuck off lol

-5 points · 7 days ago(0 children)

We have to hurt the child before he hurts himself.

You prepared for downvotes but got super bummed out when you got downvoted?

There would have to be quite the history to advocate that kind of manhandling. Putting your knee on a child’s back like that is cowardly shit and there’s really no excuse for a grown man with training to do that.

If there was a history with this child, he/the school should be even better prepared for the situation by having restraints that are appropriate for an autistic child.

and it's not like the officer is beating the child. the kid is obviously freaking out and the cop is restraining him. i'm tired of how reddit seems to think that autism is just a blanket pass to do anything you want and it's ridiculous how shocked people on this site act when confronted with the reality that if someone acts up in public then there will be consequences.

It's simply sad that anyone would allow a child to be handcuffed in a class room like this; I understand the USA has security issues in schools so the cops are wanted, but that they are involved with the students and class room activities so directly is unsettling.

If this is repeated and common behaviour, the kid shouldnt even be in the school. School shouldn't even try because seems here it is failing. Next time... kid tazered? Pepper sprayed? Worse?

The old 'If all you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail'.

People worrying about nazis in DC when theyre on every street corner and in our school.

What is wrong with the some places in the US? Handcuffing anyone that age? Fucked up world, teaching the kids at young age that its normal to get handcuffed for anything.

That “teacher” in black looks like complete white trash and does not look at all qualified to work with autistic children. The teachers that taught autistic children at my middle school were sweet, patient and kind hearted. This women is just a straight up bitch.

I hope they are pursuing legal actions against the school. The way they handle themselves with that boy, just wish the Mom saw the video before going in.

Also what the fuck was that room the resource officer carried that boy into? Since when have schools had dedicated rooms for police to man handle children in privacy? Please take this child away and handcuff him where I can't see, because if I did that would make me unconformable. Jesus, what have we come to that its okay for a grown man to restrain a 10 year old.

I cant believe these remarks. Elementary school resource officers are the sheepdog, first responders who keep our communities safe. I am fairly certain I saw this young white nationalist make gun noises (going pew pew) while he was in the corner. I cant even imagine how traumatizing that was for the muslim teacher and other PoC in the classroom. If that child isnt immediately subserviant to his strong, confident, independent teacher just think how he will treat women when he gets older. Both those teachers are survivors.

-3 points · 7 days ago · edited 6 days ago

You all don't understand. Cops showed up at a restaurant we had taken the autism class to. They didn't handcuff him or anything, but one of the staff was bitten SO HARD, it was bad bad bad. This is why some of these kids need to be restrained. We're trained in restraint techniques. This video is none of our business the uploader is a drama seeking ignorant hoe.

This security man didn't even do anything excessive. If the child was cuffed it would have been for his and the other students safety.

You all really don't understand. And none of you are autistic. Stop appropriating other's genetic disorders. It's disgusting

This guy is a troll he literally just made this account and is posting this type of shit in multiple threads

well the story resonates with me. one of my friend's mother died because she was bitten by a special needs child and she contracted some form of hepatitis that was the primary cause of her death. there comes a point where people on this site need to realize that just because someone has mental issues is no excuse for them to act dangerously to others and it's insane to expect these others(be they the cop or the teacher)to expose themselves to these dangers without taking precautions.

i made this account because I switched browsers and I don't know my passwords. "TROLL". you fuckin ignorant nobody. Repeating every term you hear. We had kids like you in high school. They were so easy to manipulate and you could get them to repeat ANYTHING.

You are like the rest of these ding dongs on this site anymore. Just a bunch of parrots parroting whatever seems to be popular and "funny".

I truly believe there is no hope for you.

2 points · 6 days ago · edited 6 days ago

Lmao yeah bro, I'm not going to bite, bad troll. The 4 posts you've made are all trying to incite a reaction out of someone. My uncle is a child psychiatrist and researches Autism spectrum disorder. You're so full of shit or just an entitled teacher aid.

I dont give a fuck if people respond, I'd prefer if you didn't engage because I dont want to engage with you fools. Its a public forum and I'm putting out my thoughts on the subject. fuck off pawn

2 points · 6 days ago · edited 6 days ago

You're a bad troll and a toxic human. Also you like to manipulate kids in high school? You mean like those autistic kids you supposedly look after???

-2 points · 7 days ago

might be a troll but the part about biting is absolutely true in some cases. its hard for me to pass any bad judgment on this video

Yeah lets imprison people based off what they might do, not what they have actually done.

-3 points · 7 days ago · edited 6 days ago

Removed because people don’t get it obviously..

The best place for video content of all kinds. Please read the sidebar below for our rules.

About /r/videos

A great place for video content of all kinds. Direct links to major video sites are required (e.g. YouTube, Vimeo, etc). Join the discussion below!

r/videos Rules
No Politics
No Personal Information or Witch-Hunting
Submit Direct Link to Video
No Porn or Gore
No Solicitation of Votes or Views
No Hate Speech
No Videos of Assault or Public Freakouts
No Third Party Licensing
Videos Only
Detailed Rules

Find a more detailed explanation of our rules here.

Moderation

Removals & Warnings

• If your submission does not appear in the new queue, please contact us (be sure to include a link to the Reddit post (i.e. comments section), not the content you are linking). Simply deleting your post may cause the spam filter to catch future ones.

• Note: Submissions from new users, and users with low karma, are automatically removed to help prevent spam.

• Also, please contact us regarding spam, political or any other inappropriate videos, as this helps us remove them more quickly! When reporting, please explain why you think it should be removed.

• Do not message moderators individually about posts not appearing in the new queue or ban appeals. Messages should be sent as a modmail to /r/Videos. Failure to do so may result in a ban.

Feedback and Spoiler Tags