Archived

Neat way of opening this box without having a lid pull or finger holes.

I've done quite a few boxes with this type of lid.

Just cut a stop dado back on the corners and a dado across the ends. Easiest done with a router table, but I've cut them with chisels before as well.

Big tip: your lid fit tolerances need to be pretty loose end to end, too tight and it won't have enough room to turn.

I made this style lid on my bass's electronics cover. Fantastic idea.

But how does it stay closed?

Recessed screws with brass bushings. Unscrew, push on one side and lift from the other. Way better than those cheap plastic covers and easier than prying it out with a knife or screwdriver.

Some companies use magnets, and a finger hole. If I ever get around to building a guitar, that's one of the features I want to put on it.

Friction

Original Poster3 points · 7 months ago

Right on, that’s awesome!

also could be a pretty good use of that twisted wood in your junk pile

Original Poster2 points · 7 months ago

Yeah I think I’ll add a small indent on the push side. Thanks for the input guys!

Nice! Simple and effective. I'll have to remember that

It looks neat, but why not cut both sides of the lid? Wouldn't it eventually get frustrating pushing down the wrong side to open it?

Original Poster3 points · 7 months ago

I suppose I could - I mean you have a 50-50 chance. And would it really be that frustrating?

Logic would dictate you have a 50-50 chance at plugging in a usb cable the correct way, but I usually still end up having to turn it over more than one to get it in the right way.

It would be nice if the place the user should touch had perhaps a different texture, or some subtle way of indicating its purpose. Attempting to use something, and failing, is frustrating and indicative of design failure.

Not sure why you got downvoted for that - I actually watched a really great [Vox video on why door handles are terribly designed] (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yY96hTb8WgI) and it makes this exact argument: It's frusterating, and it's not your fault, it's bad design.

Sorry... that's not to say this isn't super cool. Great job OP.

Not sure why you got downvoted for that

Most people don't understand (to use the software terminology) UX design, and they don't understand the difference between knowing how to use something and knowing how to design something.

Comment deleted7 months ago

You have completely and utterly missed the point.

The point is that you should know how the door opens upon seeing the door, without needing to take into consideration where the door is or for what purpose it was placed there.

I can help you, if it really is that frustrating to you: In commercial, industrial, and office buildings, doors never swing into a hallway.

Tell that to the building I'm in this morning. It's my client's office building, and every damn time I come to this office, the push-to-enter door gets me. Then in my own office building, if you leave the lobby to head to the parking lot, everyone says it feels like you're exiting, but you're actually exiting into a hallway, so it's technically entering even though you already passed through a set of doors to get to this space, so you have to pull. Also, supply rooms and other small rooms often have doors that swing out into a hallway. Also, doors at the END of a hallway often swing out.

Comment deleted7 months ago

That handle thing doesn't quite work when it's a glass door with "L" shaped handles (both vertical and horizontal bars) on both sides. Ha!

It seems to me it'd be an annoyance. But that's just speculation, if you're consistent with placing the lid back, it might not be an issue at all.

Original Poster4 points · 7 months ago

I could just CNC a little cove or something. Nothing too deep but enough for someone to notice and think, “Hmm, better push down here”

how about an lighter colored inlay?

No need to break out the CNC. Stick a round router bit in a drill and make a slightly depressed circle. Subtle, but sufficient.

2 points · 7 months ago · edited 7 months ago

A 50% chance is abysmal design. The item defies the user's expectation (if I press the lid, the box will open) half the time. Others have mentioned USB Type-A as an example... but Type-A connectors are actually better than that, since you can look at the connector and port to see which way to insert it. Also, the USB logo is supposed to go on the "top" side of the connector.

I'd just add a small spherical indent on the side you're supposed to press. And if necessary, make it so the lid can only be inserted one way (which way should be obvious).

Of course, if this is meant as an art piece not a functional box, all of that is irrelevant. Or if it's just for your own use, and you don't care about it not opening half the time.

Also, the USB logo is supposed to go on the "top" side of the connector

Tell that to my Logitech mouse charger cable. Stupid thing gets me almost every time.

Hence "supposed to be"... Manufacturers don't always follow the spec :(

Stealing this idea. Very tidy.

Has anyone seen a drawer or cupboard door that can be opened like this? I'm building a camper and it would be a neat basis for locking mechanism.

Look at "push to open" hinges/slides.

thanks

1 point · 7 months ago · edited 7 months ago

It would be a lot neater if there were some sort of detent to hold it up, and if it were possible to know which side to press without trying it.

I think if you inlaid some rare earth magnets on the end, you could tip it and it would stay open. Doing it on both sides would solve the other issue w/o visible change, or you can mark the side in some way, be it a mark or texture or color difference.

Magnets would be cool... but a simple ball detent on each side would be a lot more practical.

I wasn't familiar with that term before; would inlaying magnets as I suggested technically be considered a detent, or does there need to be mechanical catch and so the magnet wouldn't qualify? I'm also curious about detent installation with a ball detent as you mention. Are they sold essentially as a kit so you put in the ball-spring-case assembly, or are most just made from scratch?

Can anyone identify the woods? Body looks like Sassafras to be, but I'd be happy to be corrected, and would love to know about the lid.

Original Poster1 point · 7 months ago

Body is Marblewood and Top is Katalox

Cheers! I didn't realise this was yours, nice work mate.

My car's gas cap opens like this. It's annoying to me, but I respect your craftsmanship skills regardless.

Pretty cool. I wonder if you could use small magnets to get it to stay tilted open when you press down on it?

I can't tell...is the lid shaved down on that side, or is the rabbet cut deeper on that side?

Original Poster1 point · 7 months ago

Rabbet

Original Poster1 point · 7 months ago

Yep, did mine with a router.

/r/woodworking is your home on reddit for furniture, toys, tools, wood, glue, and anything else that has to do with woodworking as a hobby or profession. Please submit links to how-to pages and videos, pictures of beautiful and amazing pieces you made for us to admire, or help you finish.

r/woodworking Rules
Don't be rude. Zero tolerance for sexism.
Project posts are OC (Original Content) only.
No Blog or Video Channel Spam.
No Reposts.
No viral content.
No rehosted/freebooted content.
No memes, image macros, reaction gifs/videos, etc.
No overt self-promotion.
No top-level wood ID, low effort, or price queries