Archived

I restored this WWII era smoothing plane and I’m really proud of it.

Did that plane bomb the Axis powers? Heyyyyyyy-ohhhhhhhh! I’ll see myself out.

Great job. Care to share a bit of your process in restoring it? What did you use etc.?

Original Poster4 points · 7 months ago

I mostly followed Paul Sellers’ procedure. I lapped the sole on sandpaper clamped to flat glass. I used increasing grits of wet/dry sandpaper to remove rust and polish the metal body (staying away from the japanning). I soaked the smaller parts in white vinegar to remove the rust then polished them up on increasing grits of sandpaper. I chamfered all the edges with a flat file.

Interestingly the WWII era planes used stained American hardwood for the tote and knob because they couldn’t import the typical rosewood. So when I scraped the old shellac off I ended up having to re stain both wood components with Minwax “Early American” stain. I followed that up with mineral oil and paste wax.

All in all I put about 20 hours into the restoration and it works like a charm. I’m building my first workbench right now and it’s been a joy to operate!

Did you strip back the plating on the level cap at all?

Original Poster1 point · 7 months ago

I soaked the level cap in vinegar and then gave it a light sanding to remove the rust. I see a lot of people polish the level cap to almost a chrome finish but I preferred the way the grey patina contrasts the orange logo.

I got some rust in my basement if you like I can do a complete restoration sometime today for you

Awesome job! I just restored my grandfathers plane just like this using paul sellers video as well. It looks like you had the same issue that I did with the ball on the front. For the life of me i couldnt get the black paint off comepletly.

Original Poster2 points · 7 months ago

Totally! I like the way it looks and this is my user anyways so I decided to just roll with it haha.

God damn it. It's before THEN after. /s

All kidding aside, you made it sparkle dude. I love the grain striping and the band on the front handle.

I'm always amazed at how bright the paint is around the logo once the dirt and crud is washed away.

Original Poster3 points · 7 months ago

Actually there was no paint left. I masked it off and hit it with some rustoleum. I’m super happy with the color matching.

Did you respray the Stanley logo then? What color did you use?

Original Poster2 points · 7 months ago

I did respray it yes. I used Rustoleum “Painters Touch Satin Rustic Orange”

So where did you get it? Looks dope. Great job

Original Poster1 point · 7 months ago

Thank you! My neighbor collects them and I guess when he buys them on eBay sometimes multiple come in an order and he already had one of these so he sold it to me :)

I'll check eBay. Thanks.

-6 points · 7 months ago(0 children)

Sorry, that’s actually an “after & before” shot.

/r/woodworking is your home on reddit for furniture, toys, tools, wood, glue, and anything else that has to do with woodworking as a hobby or profession. Please submit links to how-to pages and videos, pictures of beautiful and amazing pieces you made for us to admire, or help you finish.

r/woodworking Rules
Don't be rude. Zero tolerance for sexism.
Project posts are OC (Original Content) only.
No Blog or Video Channel Spam.
No Reposts.
No viral content.
No rehosted/freebooted content.
No memes, image macros, reaction gifs/videos, etc.
No overt self-promotion.
No top-level wood ID, low effort, or price queries