Someone asked for a picture the finished table. Walnut.

I love how clean and simple this looks! added to my list of ideas for a dining room table.

Original Poster7 points · 1 month ago

This was for a dining room. Dimensions were three feet by five, good for a dinette. Walnut was I think six bucks a board foot so it cost a little bit.

That's not bad. Out by me it's close to 10. I would love to use walnut more often..

How many board feet did you end up using for the project?

Original Poster3 points · 1 month ago

I think about 68 board feet. A lot of waste, working around knotholes, the boards were just under eight feet. I lost about 20 feet to waste I think.

Beautiful. Great job. How did you join the frame to the table top?

Original Poster6 points · 1 month ago

1/8 inch grove about 3/8ths down from the top all the way around. Then table top fasteners from Rockler (16 of them).

I put the fasteners into the groove about half way through to account for wood movement as the top shrinks and expands with relative humidity.

3 points · 1 month ago

See little details like this is why I love Reddit!

MORE LIKE walNUT 💦💦💦

great job on the table btw...

Beautiful work there!

I appreciate the Pampers for scale :D

2 points · 1 month ago · edited 1 month ago

Looks great. I probably would have used something more like a hayrake leg support so you could get chairs under the table ends. http://woodarchivist.com/2254-hayrake-table-plans/

Original Poster2 points · 1 month ago

Ha that looks great but anything Peckovitch (spelling?) does is amazing.

1 point · 1 month ago

Wow...that's a beautiful table! Thanks for the link!

What stain was used? I really like the color variation.

Original Poster3 points · 1 month ago

Arm-R-Seal wipe on by general finishes. Three coats, pour it on and wipe it up as fast as you can, the Bubbles only come in force if you mess with it to much. Use a foam brush to wipe your edge drips and let it set for a day. Sand at 320 to 400 lightly and do it again, then again then leave it or keep going till you like the color.

I fucking LOVE Arm-R-Seal. So easy to use and you get a wonderful finish.

I might get myself that for my coffee table I’m working on. Did you use any stain as well or just the seal?

Original Poster1 point · 1 month ago

No stain, just the wood and the wipe on.

Looks clean. Amazing job!

Original Poster1 point · 1 month ago

Tyty

That is just wonderful. Great job with all the joinery as well!

Original Poster1 point · 1 month ago

Tyty

Looks great! How much wood did u use and how much did it cost?

Original Poster1 point · 1 month ago

I have the receipt for materials, $658.80, but the 8/4 walnut was expensive so that was decent chunk. This includes the dowels and fasteners. I had walnut floating around for a few months for small projects too.

When I went to the mill, it was pretty funny, I kept showing my friend alder and oak, and telling him how great they were. He is super non confrontational, so after the fourth time he wanders back to the walnut (which at the time was almost double) we started pulling boards.

$658 for the material!? I can only dream lol. Are you planning on selling it? I am just getting into woodworking, and want to keep it viable. So, just asking.

Original Poster2 points · 1 month ago

This was for a long time freind, this is not what you usually pay to cut your teeth. Get poplar, alder, oak, and all the softwood you can and build. Big stuff, little stuff. Then buy a board of walnut or cherry and make something amazing, but small.

Then when your walking through a furniture store and your other person wants to buy a crib for $800 or a bed for $1000, that’s 20% MDF, in such a dark stain it fools you into thinking it’s something nicer than it is, and you have to put it together with lock bolts, you can take that grand and make something your grandkids will still be jumping on.

been to various stores today getting tools and all that but reading this was the most productive thing i have done today. Thanks for the comment, gave me perspective.

Looks amazing. How did you join the breadboard ends to the larger panel?

Original Poster3 points · 1 month ago

Quarter inch grove on the end with two inch mortise inside the grove on the outsides and middle.

The tenon is made from the body, cross grain with matching tongue that extends out into the tenons to meet the mortis in the grove on the breadboard. They are fitted on and pinned with three pegs. The hole for the peg in the middle is round, the sides are elongated into an flops to accommodate wood movement in the body.

I think I get this, but do you have a picture or sketch? I've ruined a tabletop from permanently attaching the breadboard and this seems like a great way to accommodate the wood movement.

Original Poster2 points · 1 month ago

Yes let me make one in sketch up tonight and I’ll post it up.

Have you found sketch up to be the best free tool for woodworking designs? I've used it before but never taken the time to get any good at it.

Original Poster2 points · 29 days ago

Sketch up is great, and I think the best free option out there. It helps to start making things to scale as much as possible in the program. I don't use it a lot for plans, I would rather just jot down dimensions and a quick sketch. It works really well for explaining things though. Here is the diagram.

I appreciate your table so much more now! Thanks so much for the diagram. It really cleared everything up. Did you come up with this joining strategy? It's not glued at all, correct (That would defeat the whole purpose I think of allowing the wood to move).

That looks great!

Original Poster1 point · 1 month ago

Tyty

I love it! I just made a suckier version of the same table. (https://imgur.com/gallery/Wk4XUGu), with my first attempt at woodworking. I like how your bottom support is inside the board instead of resting on top.

I think it came out looking pretty good.

Original Poster1 point · 1 month ago

I like it a lot does it feel weird to eat, play games, and visit on something you made?

It makes me feel proud I made something cool for my family. I’m thoroughly enjoying it.

Great work!

I thought the grain in the wood on that support between the legs was a burned in signature at first. It is signature worthy!

Original Poster1 point · 1 month ago

So I was listening to woodworking live and I forgot who answered the question, “How do you mark your work?” But one of the guys started cracking up and answered “With bad joinery!”

I really like your posts

Very nice!

/r/woodworking is your home on reddit for furniture, toys, tools, wood, glue, and anything else that has to do with woodworking as a hobby or profession. Please submit links to how-to pages and videos, pictures of beautiful and amazing pieces you made for us to admire, or help you finish.

r/woodworking Rules
Don't be rude. Zero tolerance for sexism.
Project posts are OC (Original Content) only.
No Blog or Video Channel Spam.
No Reposts.
No viral content.
No rehosted/freebooted content.
No memes, image macros, reaction gifs/videos, etc.
No overt self-promotion.
No top-level wood ID, low effort, or price queries