UN reminds everyone that the Venezuelan security forces killed hundreds of protesters.

516 points · 24 days ago

Good that we keep this in the spotlight until justice is served.

210 points · 24 days ago

I don't think it is much in the spotlight though. I've seen plenty of people speaking about the ICE and US border policies but nothing about Venezeula. Not saying that ones less important, both need attention but I think this needs far more than its getting

Another country going through this is Nicaragua. No one talks about that either.

Look up #sosnicaragua for current news. Warning: it's pretty horrifying

Also happened to an extent in Honduras when the right wing government rigged an election giving the incumbent president a second term that goes against the constitution but nobody cares at all. There was also the 2009 coup d'état and chaos afterwards as well. Fun times in the banana republics.

The US one absolutely is less important...

18 points · 24 days ago

Absolutely agree

58 more replies

8 points · 24 days ago

It's further from home both in actual distance and in tribalism.

A good chunk of Reddit is Americans and other native english speakers (I'm Aussie). Then there's also a lot of Europeans who have a relatively similar society to America/Australia etc. If America is doing some nasty shit at the border, Europeans and Americans and Australians etc can relate. But it's harder to relate to what is happening in Venezuela.

I'd bet half of us couldn't point out Venezuela on a map, and of those who could, half couldn't tell you much about Venezuela and their problems other than it's a poor Spanish-speaking country.

I'd say the big exception to this would be Israel/Palestine which is talked about constantly.

I agree it should get more attention, though.

88 points · 24 days ago

If they could find a way to blame the murders in Venezeula on Trump we would be hearing about it non stop

And yet here you are, making it about trump.

49 points · 24 days ago(1 child)

We all await your film footage at 11.

2 points · 24 days ago(More than 45 children)

Absolutely shit take.

Trump signed the EO for zero tolerance, so it’s on him and his party to face the backlash. Nice try deflecting everything on the Democrats, though, - real original.

Wasn't the only thing Trump did was tell them to enforce the laws exactly as they were written? That's kinda the executive branches job, if you don't want the laws enforced have the legislators change the law.

3 points · 23 days ago

Discretion in enforcing the laws is the executive branch's job.

2 more replies

Nobody loves executive orders more than Trump. Suddenly he forgets they exist. While all at once, he's doing it for this reason, that reason, the democrats did it too, it's fake news, and it's the democrats fault.

because without congress intervention, he literally can only do what originally happened, or catch and release which literally no one wants even more which is what obama did.

If congress actually did something, we could move past this, but party head Schumer for dems LITERALLY STATED they want to focus on trump instead of actually working on fixing this.

Let’s be realistic, what part of “fixing this” doesn’t include a wall?

Dems don't control congress.

1 more reply

That's kinda the executive branches job

If the executive branch existed in a vacuum, sure. But they don't - in reality, actions have consequences. The consequence of forcibly splitting children from their families and packing them 20 to a cage is bad press. He could have waited until the legislative branch changed the law, or made his own executive order that implemented the law in such a way that it didn't split families. Except that because he's a perpetual liar, he said he couldn't do the executive order thing... and then, of course, did it.

America gained nothing by his re-interpretation of the law. Our borders are not safer because of it. Our immigration process is not better because of it. Literally every previous President understood this, and knew it was a tough situation so they tried their best with what they had. Only Trump was evil enough to think taking kids away from their families and sending them to 17 different states would be fine.

32 more replies

5 points · 23 days ago

While Sean Penn, Oliver Stone, Jesse Jackson, Michael Moore, Jeremy Corbyn and Noam Chomsky was busy jerking off Hugo Chavez...

Meaning the left will be silent about the atrocities in Venezuela and the right will be busy attacking the left of its usual naive infatuation with everything revolutionary instead of addressing the real problem - the situation in Venezuela...

Hugo Chavez is long dead.

3 more replies

29 points · 24 days ago

This is partly true. People love resisting Trump.

10 points · 24 days ago

Now that I'm thinking about it, I'm shocked and amazed this hasn't been blamed on Trump.

american intervention in south america and the manufacturing of consent to commit war crimes is very much american tradition, as much as the fourth of july and hot dogs. cant blame a century long tradition on a man that wasnt even born at the time

1 more reply

Conservative victim complex has gotten old for years by now. Give it a rest.

5 more replies

Because people find the US more important. Anything about Central Asian states gets buried in downvotes in this subreddit. Try posting about some of the fucked up things happening in Tajikistan and see for yourself.

2 more replies

Yea! Send the united states! They'll get the bad guys!

Short of invading Venezuela how do you think justice is going to be served?

1 point · 24 days ago(1 child)

36 more replies

241 points · 24 days ago · edited 24 days ago

One of my university's mates was killed by the military police (also known as the bolivarian national guard). He wasn't even directly involved in the protest, he was standing close to an improvised barricade and was shot with a marble, almost half an inch in diameter. Nobody knows if the shooter faced justice, but since the civilians were the ones being prosecuted by martial law (another little known fact), I doubt that the killer received even a slap on the wrist. He was a biologist, working on some ecological conservation efforts.

EDIT: Thanks, I should clarify that even though I knew him, but we weren't close. Most of my friends are ents that wouldn't get involved in this kind of thing.

Fuck. I'm really sorry to hear that. My condolensces to you and your friend's family.

My mom used to say “maldito sea el soldado que apunta su arma a sus compatriotas” (damned be the soldier that points his gun to his compatriots)

This was in Mexico; she lived through the student massacre of ‘68

I’m really sorry for your loss.

I'm so sorry for your loss.

6 more replies

26 points · 24 days ago

I am from Dominican Republic and we have received a lot of people from Venezuela. Most work in Uber or in restaurants at least from my personal experience. One day my Uber was Venezuelan, easy to notice from their accent, and since traffic here is so bad, we started to talk. He told me that he was an agronomic Engineer if I remember, and he had a good life in Venezuela prior to the crisis. He told me he had a large Villa and his family was in the right tracks, since all his sons were professionals. When the crisis started, things got really though for his family, to the point where the government basically took his property and he decided to emigrate here. From being a professional well paid engineer to an illegal immigrant working as a Uber driver. I really hoped the best for him. Each time I meet somone from Venezuela, I try to help them as much as I can because of that.

At this point, I'm gonna open a depression pills store at the UN.

I do hear that UN workers have a very dark sense of humour, drug issues, alcohol issues etc almost entirely because of how depressing it is to work there.

I mean can you blame them. They probably see terrible shit but cant do jack

Exactly, not only that but to work at the UN you have to have had some drive at some point to do good in the world. Having that slowly wash away can't help.

working there has to be like living in a community where no crime is to bad and everyone avoids talking about it because no one wants to have their own bubble burst.

Gallows humor always appears in rough jobs. It's a necessity.

Just ask any grunts to tell you a joke.

Could any Venezuelan here give me the cliff's notes on the best or worst case scenario in the coming future?

Original Poster109 points · 24 days ago

I'm Venezuelan. Well, Maduro has the entire country against him, including a large part of the military, he only has the support of the generals that are part of the Cuban mafias, but the lower ranking officers all hate him. I'm pretty sure It's just a matter of time at this point for a coup to happen. Best case scenario is that it will happen in the next few months and the worst case scenario is that it will happen by the end of the year.

But people have been saying the Venezuelan government is on the verge of collapse for like 6 years now.

More like 8, but now it seems it really might be. Maduro has had plenty of opportunity to turn things around and his failure is pretty complete. Even leftist groups want him replaced for a while now.

8 points · 24 days ago

True that. However, this is the first time that several conditions take place (for the first time) during this regime. Actual (I think?) hyperinflation, critically low output from PDVSA (low enough that OPEC is increasing production specifically to address this) and probably record low levels of popularity for the regime, so probably nobody will come out to defend Maduro if a coup does eventually take place.

6 points · 24 days ago

Well, how do you define "collapse"?

If by that you mean a revolution overthrowing the government, that is unlikely to happen unless civilians/militias have access to weapons (which they don't) and if they are willing and able to do it (which they aren't, because they are weak,hungry and tired).

Never underestimate what hunger can do to people.

The way things are going, Maduro won't have the money to pay for the support of the military and the government

1 more reply

Can you explain your Cuban Mafias comment? I've never heard anything about this. Are they Cuban but in the Venezuelan Military, or are they Venezuelan with ties to Cuban crime families?

Original Poster7 points · 24 days ago

A little of both.

If I remember my netflix documentary correctly, back when Both Castro and Hugo Chavez were alive, they made a deal where Venezuela would provide cheap/free oil to Cuba. In return, Fidel Castro having a lot of educated doctors/nurses/engineers in Cuba, would send them to Venezuela to pay him back. One way Castro also paid back Venezuela was also by sending military advisers and security apparatus given how good Cuba's communist government was with its secret police. This was a win win for Castro because not only did this bring the 2 countries closer together, the military/security forces meant that Cuba had a stronger influence behind the scenes.

1 more reply

I'm pretty sure It's just a matter of time at this point for a coup to happen.

The very second a coup happens the narrative will go into "evil right wing fascists with US support ruins prosperous country in South America, just look at all this poverty".

To be fair, the US does have history with installing fascist dictators in South America.

3 points · 24 days ago

What do you think are the chances of a civil war?

Original Poster6 points · 24 days ago

Full blown civil war is very unlikely. There is a high chance that there will be a lot of guerrilla warfare against the communists once Maduro goes down thought. This isn't the first time we fought either. Back in the Betancourt days, there were hundreds of casualties.

And also the support of ....ya know.... a majority of the voters....

Obliged, I'm mostly guessing at this point but I'm sure there'll be a political backing behind the impending military coup, if so, then how popular is the alternative to the current regime when it comes to financial and social policies?

Nevertheless, hope you people get your country on the right track.

Original Poster22 points · 24 days ago · edited 24 days ago

Meh, the usual politically correct point of view doesn't apply here. If a coup happens I'm sure there won't be that much opposition because the international rejection against the Venezuelan government is so huge that Maduro has become something like a modern "Hitler" in people's eyes. Even the hardcore chavist teams don't like him.

There are opposition politicians that are fairly popular like Leopoldo and Maria Corina. (right now I think she has the most support) But since solving the crisis is relatively easy, then that doesn't matter that much since whoever comes after Maduro will be able to get support from a huge part of the population if the crisis is solved.

1 more reply

If Maduro is ousted by a military coup, it's logical that whoever comes next, will have the military's interests as their foremost priority. What I mean is, that in the case Maduro is ousted by the same people that supported him before, nothing is bound to improve.

At this point, I suspect that our only chance is for the economy to take them down with it, his (senseless) policies are suffocating all of us, not even the people that used to be somewhat well-off are doing fine, and the poorest are actively dying. I was approached yesterday by a man (a beggar) and he was very, very thin and almost couldn't talk. He asked me for money, but the truth is that I had none, cash is useless and I don't carry any. If I had given him the largest bill there is, he could have bought nothing at all. Canned tuna costs 5m Bs.F, and the highest banknote is worth 50 times less.

11 points · 24 days ago

Yep. I give them food now (energy bars, etc), cash is worthless unless you give them a huuuge bag of it or something (like in cartoons).

Its really sad, especially the "children of the streets".

I'm even giving stuff that isn't necessarily nutritious. I have some candy bars, lollipops and other stuff from last Halloween I know I won't eat them so I give them away. I fear for their teeth... but at the same time I know most (both kids and adults) haven't had one (candy, etc) in a long time probably.

3 points · 24 days ago

How the hell are you able to live with the crazy hyperinflation?

Where can I contribute to the coup efforts?

That's half a (bad) joke and I do not mean to make light of the horrific conditions and situation in your country at all. But "thoughts and prayers" seems a fairly useless and trite notion under the circumstances, and I wish there was something tangible that we in other countries could do to help those of you in Venezuela right now.

1 more reply

It's really so sad it came to this, there were so many opportunities to turn back from this path but every single time Chavez and then later Maduro had a chance to reverse course they merely doubled down instead. It's what Chavez learned from Fidel and he wasn't smart enough to figure out any other course on his own. Years ago I told my in-laws and my friends in Venezuela that what Chavez was putting in place would not be undone without a revolution, and that history shows whenever other nations took this path it always ended up badly for first the lower class, then the middle class (which Venezuela never had much of) then everyone else. Some of them agreed, and worried, but some of them insisted that they would turn the course with protests, and used to march in them for years. One was arrested by the criminals that Venezuela now calls police and vanished for nearly a week before he was let out after having been beaten badly to give out names of people in the marches.

Now all of those friends and famjly live either in Panama, Costa Rica, or Miami - except a few who can't get out yet still :-(

My man, even if he's out the Venezuelan people are already brainwashed, people have a "ranch" in their heads and they rather steal and kill than go to school and get an education. It will take decades to change the Venezuelan mentality which is now rotten.

That's largely because productive venezuelans started to leave the country 15 years ago

It strengthens my point

Don't forget he has the support of 31% of eligible voters.

3 more replies

I would put it this way, best case scenario Maduro and the Cuban G2 are out, we still would have to deal with the mental degradation and the brainwashed masses that are now infesting the country. Kids literally want to be criminals when they grow up instead of an actual professional. Worst case.... We become New Zimbabwe.

Best case - Maduro resigns, a economic reform is carried out, humanitarian aid is allowed into the country, a constituent assembly is called to change the constitution

Worst case - Maduro doesn't resign, borders, telecom get shut down by militaries, the genocide intensifies

Lots of posters at /r/Vzla can write in English.

Like the Syrian refugee crisis, without the buildings collapsing

It's not Trump, so no one cares.

6 points · 23 days ago

Not Trump or Israel, so ZZZ.

8 points · 24 days ago

Isn't it interesting how this sub almost, just almost turns back into an actual news subreddit on the weekends?

Consequences of letting the left get in power and stay there.

Egyptian forces massacred over a thousand protestors in 2014 after the military coup.

Just saying UN condemnations and reminders don't do shit.

Somebody needs to do something.

By order of the jarl stop right there

You have committed crimes against Skyrim and her people, what say you in your defense?

Who?

Somebody! Can’t you read?

i got this, guys.

can't be you, your gf might see. SOMEBODY!

Comment deleted24 days ago(4 children)

4 more replies

America! till they do than we shame the fuck of them for world policing.

You get it.

9 more replies

199 points · 24 days ago

Venuzuela is killing protesters!

Time to sanction Israel!

48 points · 24 days ago

Wasn’t Israel killing protesters just recently too?

I get the “joke” - that the UN is unfair with regards to the country that it created (Israel) but I think it’s ok to be against both the bullshit that Israel does and the bullshit that Venezuela does.

protestors..? no, Israel made it abundantly clear if you approach this fence we will shoot you. They also were ordered to shoot the legs when possible. Why? because the people charging the fence were going to kill jews if they got in. Hamas was paying people who got injured and survived charging the fence. Also, remember that baby that "died to tear gas"? Hamas paid the family 2 grand to say that's how the baby died. She had a blood condition that killed her brother as well.

I mean, Venezuala made it abundantly clear that opposing the government will get you shot, that still makes them protesters.

1 more reply

Protestors yes. THe IRanian protestors burnt a police station too.

Where are Israel's borders? If shooting at people crossing a border is acceptable then the Israeli settlers should be shot in the West Bank too. So when an Israeli settler in the west bank is killed then that is equally justified.

I'd make the argument that borders aren't theoretical, but actual. So Israel is, in actuality, whatever Israel can lay physical claim to. If it builds settlements in the west bank and no one stops it, that becomes Israel. If Mexico didn't recognize the land we took from it in 1848, we, being the US would still own it.

7 more replies

I think that scientifically, shooting someone in the leg makes as much sense as shooting them in torso, or anywhere else

so if the us made it clear that we would shoot all migrants from mexico that would be justified?

They also were ordered to shoot the legs when possible.

Oh well thats just great I also like to shoot people who dont pose a real threat to me in the legs, how many israelis were hurt in the clashes?

..if mexicans rallied to charge the border to murder americans then yes, it would be. They aren't at all so it's not the same at all?

5 more replies

8 more replies

Ok let me point it more clearly. Can you list a single sanction the UN has imposed on Israel?

Maybe like the real sanctions that were put on Iran.

This is about facts.

30 points · 24 days ago

The UN hasn't sanctioned Israel but the Human Rights Council has condemned Israel 68 times from 2006 to 2016 and Venezuela zero times.

7 more replies

There is not a single real UN sanction that has an impact of even $1 on Israel.

You want to talk about double standards?

Did the UN apply real sanctions on Iran? Here. This is the double standard. Israel has fucking nuclear weapons! Iran doesn't.

The UN Security Council passed a number of resolutions imposing sanctions on Iran, following the report by the International Atomic Energy Agency Board of Governors regarding Iran's non-compliance with its safeguards agreement and the Board's finding that Iran's nuclear activities raised questions within the competency of the Security Council. Sanctions were first imposed when Iran rejected the Security Council's demand that Iran suspend all enrichment-related and reprocessing activities. Sanctions will be lifted when Iran meets those demands and fulfills the requirements of the IAEA Board of Governors. To-date, Iran sanctions are the toughest the world community has imposed on any country.[12]

United Nations Security Council Resolution 1696 – passed on 31 July 2006. Demanded that Iran suspend all enrichment-related and reprocessing activities and threatened sanctions.

United Nations Security Council Resolution 1737 – passed on 23 December 2006 in response to the proliferation risks presented by the Iranian nuclear program and, in this context, by Iran's continuing failure to meet the requirements of the International Atomic Energy Agency Board of Governors and to comply with the provisions of Security Council resolution 1696 (2006).[13] Made mandatory for Iran to suspend enrichment-related and reprocessing activities and cooperate with the IAEA, imposed sanctions banning the supply of nuclear-related materials and technology, and froze the assets of key individuals and companies related to the program.

United Nations Security Council Resolution 1747 – passed on 24 March 2007. Imposed an arms embargo and expanded the freeze on Iranian assets.

United Nations Security Council Resolution 1803 – passed on 3 March 2008. Extended the asset freezes and called upon states to monitor the activities of Iranian banks, inspect Iranian ships and aircraft, and to monitor the movement of individuals involved with the program through their territory.

United Nations Security Council Resolution 1835 – Passed in 2008.

United Nations Security Council Resolution 1929 – passed on 9 June 2010. Banned Iran from participating in any activities related to ballistic missiles, tightened the arms embargo, travel bans on individuals involved with the program, froze the funds and assets of the Iranian Revolutionary Guard and Islamic Republic of Iran Shipping Lines, and recommended that states inspect Iranian cargo, prohibit the servicing of Iranian vessels involved in prohibited activities, prevent the provision of financial services used for sensitive nuclear activities, closely watch Iranian individuals and entities when dealing with them, prohibit the opening of Iranian banks on their territory and prevent Iranian banks from entering into relationship with their banks if it might contribute to the nuclear program, and prevent financial institutions operating in their territory from opening offices and accounts in Iran.

United Nations Security Council Resolution 1984 – passed on 9 June 2011. This resolution extended the mandate of the panel of experts that supports the Iran Sanctions Committee for one year.

United Nations Security Council Resolution 2049 – passed on 7 June 2012. Renewed the mandate of the Iran Sanctions Committee’s Panel of Experts for 13 months.

United Nations Security Council Resolution 2231 – passed on 20 July 2015. Sets out a schedule for suspending and eventually lifting UN sanctions, with provisions to reimpose UN sanctions in case of non-performance by Iran, in accordance with the Joint Comprehensive Plan of Action.

Iran has signed the NPT. Israel hasn't, nor is it the only one.

Israel has fucking nuclear weapons! Iran doesn't.

Good.

This is the fucking double standards. You Israeli propagandists who lie about how there is a double standard against Israel.

1 more reply

One of those countries has had nukes for years and never used them the other is a terror state that talks about killing non believers and Jews, I trust isreal with nukes over Iran as they have never used them but could have several times.

2 more replies

There is not a single real UN sanction that has an impact of even $1 on Israel.

I'll agree that the UNHRC is as much of a joke as the council it replaced and should be dissolved because it's a ineffectual steaming pile of shit staffed by the worst human rights violators in the world.

1 more reply

When has Israel ever been sanctioned by the UN? Can you name a single sanction?

Venezuala on the other hand has been sancitoned for real.

Venezuela hasn’t been sanctioned by the UN. Israel is sanctioned by its enemies.

9 points · 24 days ago

To my knowledge, the UN has never sanctioned Venezuela. The HRC has "condemned" other nations for doing it though: https://www.telesurtv.net/english/news/United-Nations-Human-Rights-Council-Adopts-Resolution-Condemning-Sanctions-Against-Venezuela-20180324-0001.html

HRC has no binding powers. Where are the sanctions against Israel?

You moved the goal post. The original comment was a lie. Please show actual evidence of real sanctions. Sanctions the word has a meaning.

2 more replies

This is the sound of someone crying out in pain as he strikes you.

13 more replies

5 points · 24 days ago

We sold them the riot gear.

2 more replies

Isn't Nicaragua experiencing something similar too (or worse)? Strange how few people care, I didn't know about either until these reddit posts

17 points · 24 days ago

Luckily Venezuela is on the UN Human Rights council. I'm sure that helps.

Not real socialism strikes again.

It will work next time.

The trick is to ramp up coffin production early rather than later

5 points · 23 days ago

Individual graves are a bit bourgeois... Perhaps we could recycle them for the greater good with hog farms?

Hog farms? How rude! Spin up the soylent green!

You might want to switch to digital media.

32 points · 24 days ago · edited 24 days ago

Meh, it's just corruption mixed with authoritarianism.

A democracy will fail just as hard if you put a bunch of corrupt oligarchs in charge of government. We've seen it before.

Also most kids talking about "Socialism" today think it means the Nordic model, which is actually a free market system with some social programs tacked on the side.

At this point I think we've established some sort of free market works best the globe over. Even China realized this and started adopting more from this idea. However, a totally free market will inevitably also cause problems for many so some people try to patch it with some other ideas.

They seized the means of production.....that's not corruption mixed with authoritarianism. That is socialism

It's only not authoritarianism if you have the freedom to have an opinion.

And what happens if someone speaks out against the ruling class? Oh they get shot dead? Yeah that's some authoritarianism.

17 points · 24 days ago

socialism leads to authoritarianism

once you seize all means of production, your power becomes too great and inevitably you become authoritarian

human nature is an unstoppable beast.

i will always say: capitalism isn't a great system as it leads to the wealthy becoming increasingly richer and they command economic policy while the poor suffer, but it's still better than socialism

Tell me how you feel about

Social Security, Universal Basic Income, Tuition-Free Higher Ed

etc

In a capitalist society. I'm just curious to be honest. Thanks if you reply, have a great life if not :)

that would refer to a social democracy, and it's probably the best system currently that we have available

10 more replies

2 more replies

This is definitely state socialism.

You couldn't name one, because there hadn't been the first democracy where that happened.

It's also worth mentioning that Venezuela became the 4th largest economy in terms of GDP per capita during a right wing authoritarian dictatorship. Life conditions were the best in the south american region, the third one in the continent followed by Canadá and the U.S

Venezuela, one of the socialist country in the region was just unlucky, right?

What about Russia?

2 more replies

10 points · 24 days ago

That was because of the oil, but that industry has since collapseddue to cheap Middle Eastern oil.

when oil was at it most expensive they could have invested that surplus into diversified industries that contribute to GDP, but socialism leads to authoritarianism because of all the power it grants the government (you literally own everything)

so instead of using that immense wealth for good, Chavez stole and wasted it, just like all socialist governments in the past.

It's not the fist time oil prices went down. Some decades ago Venezuela saw its oil revenue cut when oil was below $40/bbl (lower than today's $70/bbl) and the country didn't suffer a humanitarian crisis or a massive exodus.

It's also worth mentioning that Venezuela during low oil prices, received 5 millions of colombians refugee into its border and took care of many them.

Are you defending Venezuela in this thread, but also talking about you starving to death and accepting PayPal donations on another?

30 more replies

7 more replies

16 points · 24 days ago · edited 24 days ago

Good thing the UN was created, to remind people about injustice. I wish there was something like the UN but actually did something.

America was like that, but they weren't perfect about it so rip them.

Of course they also did a lot of bad shit, like the banana republic incidents, but they also responded to injustice until the world turned against them for it.

The US is the only reason why we (the west) are still free, nobody is perfect but if you think they are an aggressor in the world arena, try and imagine what the west would look like without them.

From a Scot.

God bless the USA.

16 points · 24 days ago

For sure. Definitely don’t want a world with China or Russia on top calling the shots. Would be a very different world.

You gave us Trump ya bastards

God bless Scotland

2 more replies

So, how does r/socialism spin this one?

"not REAL socialism" as always!

Actually most of /socialism does endorse Venezuela as socialist. But they're tankies so they support Maduro anyways and blame its problems on us imperialism.

it's a sub that is majority under 21 students living with their parents, according to the survey they did

I’m assuming it’s also mostly white and middle class.

And don't forget that most of them don't have jobs too!

17 points · 24 days ago

“Most of the protesters were ungrateful bourgeoisie swine anyways. They deserved it.”

Yeah, it's a cesspool, and I say that as a person with socialist leanings. They are just clueless kids who buy into propaganda instead of doing research.

1 more reply

Where is the glorious UN Human Rights Council?

It's also good to remind everyone that rhe victims were mostly teenagers and young adults.. 18-24. Source: Venezuelan

killed killing

They're still doing it.

"But what about Israel?!!" -UNHRC

6 points · 24 days ago

This news article about Venezuela literally comes from UNHRC.

Gotta love socialism!

11 points · 24 days ago

Someone tell r/latestagecapitalism but know that they ban any facts

Venezuela, come for the socialism, stay for your burial.

8 more replies

which also killed multiple security guards and police.

Why is nobody taking about the genocide happening in Cameroon?

4 points · 24 days ago

Link?

Really interesting piece on The Indicator on Venezuela inflation: https://www.npr.org/sections/money/2018/06/19/621570477/the-measure-of-a-tragedy

Madurao is a donkey

Thank you? Did you actually do anything about it? :/

2 points · 23 days ago

they didnt do that

2 points · 23 days ago

this literlaly is not occuring

Im sure they did and this isn’t just extremely biased capitalist reporting.

2 points · 23 days ago

And here you all were chastising the US for withdrawing from the UN human rights council, which Venezuela is a part of.

I wonder what the human rights counsel will do.

that's nothing compared to the hundreds of innocent people being slaughtered by Duterte in the Philippines every week. The tally for Duterte's victims is around 30,000 now probably. Now, he just doesn't target suspect drug users, but innocent bystanders who stay out late at night as well.

6 points · 24 days ago

That may be true but besides that they are a socialist paradise

Socialism does love a starving populace.

14 points · 24 days ago

Where everybody is equal

Under socialism everyone is a slave and slaves can’t revolt if they are to weak from hunger.

4 points · 24 days ago

Venezuela kills hundreds of its own civilians and the UN rights a strongly-worded letter good job

The beauties of socialism

Sorry venezuelans, no limelight for you. Gazan protestors are more important.

1 point · 24 days ago

If it isn't Israel the media can't be bothered.

Not a single word from Jeremy Corbyn on this topic i see, smh :/.

B-b-but that wasn’t real Socialism!

Any condemnations from the security council? No? Didn't think so.

How long as this been going on for

The UN was being antisemitic when it did this with regards the genocide in Palestine, though

they have oil, too. but no UN force of change? maybe that is just for middle eastern countries? perhaps when they used Assad killing protesters as pretext, it is actually just an excuse.

Socialism at its finest.

Ironic how hard they push this after us says they allow this kind of behavior. makes u wonder if trump is right there’s been a shitload of articles on it the past 2 days

Yes, two different organizations.

Maybe the US could save the Venezuelan people with airstrikes to assist a coup overthrowing the government and installing a humane capitalist democracy, because that works so well...

91 more replies

A place for major news from around the world, excluding US-internal news.

r/worldnews Rules
No US Internal News or Politics
No Editorialized or Misleading Titles
No Feature stories
No Editorials, Opinion or Analysis Pieces
No Articles In Languages Other Than English
No Images, Videos or Audio Clips
No Bigotry or Other Offensive Content
No Personal Attacks
No Memes, Gifs, unlabeled NSFW images
No Old News Articles (≥ 1 Week old)
Related Subs