Outside of private servers what MMO's are you playing that give you somewhat equal satisfaction

Im pretty much at a stomp in games atm. I heard of a black desert online pserver but they're charging $12 a month so to hell with that. Warmane server getting more stale, everyone max gear , very p2w . League of Legends is having probably the worst updates for my playstyle.

Overall nothing holding my interest.

16 points · 1 month ago

I'm pretty much rotating between old school runescape, path of exile, and warframe until classic wow, although I might dip into the gamer district fresh server when it rolls around.

Can recommend old school runescape. It'll take all your time.

Is Gamer District a BC server?

WOTLK

Pretty much this although i haven't played warframe.

BFA to see if they can actually revive pvp

I came back to legion right before BFA launched after a 2 year break and was super surprised to see how bad of a state pvp was/is in.

PvP on retail has been pretty much dead since at least MoP. I do agree Legion was the worst iteration of it (which is saying a lot) but let's not pretend WoW has had good PvP for the last decade.

Can you elaborate? Im thinking of buying bfa for arenas etc.

Legion PvP was/is terrible, BfA is an improvement. Try again

BFA is an improvement from legion for sure, but an improvement on horrible can still be bad.

The pvp scene in legion was dogshit but now its getting better

I do miss wod tho

I did the same, came back 1 month before BFA. I've always been a PvPer and though it does seem to have declined, I've found much more enjoyment throughout my overall interaction with the game, and it has carried over so far into BFA as well.

11 points · 1 month ago

Maybe I just haven’t played in so long that I’ve forgotten what old WoW was like, but I’m actually enjoying legion currently and will probably get bfa once I hit 110. I’m surprised at how much I’ve been playing/enjoying it

Same here. I'm surprised how much I'm enjoying retail, didn't think I'd ever say that again haha. I resubbed like a month before BFA release and enjoyed mythic dungeons and whatnot. BFA questing so far is cool, though fast.

I will never get why people buy xpacs over and over hoping for improvements. Yeah its fun at the start of every xpac, untill u hit max level and find out how shitty blizzard went about maxlvl content once again. No community, stupid command table , braindead grinding exactly like the last expac, and broken pvp which is no fun at all. Ure making it worse and worse every single time u throw your money at blizzard for this bullshit. We could have had classic years ago if it wasnt for the plebs returning every year hoping to see a sudden miracle by blizzard. Keep falling for it...

'Broken pvp' as if vanilla pvp wasn't broken.

Lmao Legion was one of the best expansions so far, loads of content and the mythic+ scene has breathed new life into WoW. Yes, they're different games to vanilla-wrath but that doesn't automatically make them bad. Generalising an entire player base as 'plebs' for enjoying new content isn't the best move

Subscription numbers dont lie homie, subscription numbers dont lie...

I guess we should have them cancel Classic and remake WotLK instead. Hell, even on WoD launch the sub count was higher than vanilla so Classic is gonna end up hella trash. Sub numbers don't lie!

They haven't released subscription numbers since the steaming pile that was WoD so that statement doesn't carry much weight!

Don't get me wrong I love legacy WoW and I have a lot of time invested into pservers, but working full time it's nice to be able to come home and just get straight into 5 man content with my boys and know for a fact that the content will remain relevant, challenging and rewarding the entire time.

You mean the numbers that have been going down since wotlk? If I owned a company that had 11m then 10m and then 9m and continues to drop every time I released a new product, I'd go back to the drawing board with my team.

Exactly. They all use excuses like: aww the game has been around for so long now, its obvious that interest will decline... or mmos in general are falling off compared to other genres. Thats BS and they know it. Sure vanilla didnt have as many player cause it just launched a new game and there hasnt been that much awareness about it. Wotlk is a perfect example where blizzard hit a sweet spot for people liking the hardcore vanilla experience and the softies that now play retail and like everything stuck up their asses for 0 effort.

It's funny that it somehow concides with activision-blizzard merge...

I don't get why people keep rerolling on F R E S H servers. At least with BFA I get to see new content. Sure the game is much different than vanilla and the first expansions, but if I'm having fun then that's all that matters.

0 points · 1 month ago

stupid command table

This is one of major things that put me off with current expansions. I hate being obliged to login every X just to click few buttons like in a mobile game...

1 point · 1 month ago

Thought I'd mention that in BfA the only use the table has is to give tiny amounts of gold, rep, or AP. Like, single-worldquest amounts per mission.

5 points · 1 month ago

PvP sadly wont be revived with even less abilities and lack of class diversificaition. Not shitposting btw. I hope you enjoy BFA.

I heard BFA is pretty meh so far, all pretty and no substance, and I am totally a hater @ the last several expansions.. but honestly I hope they can make retail good again. Certainly not holding my breath though

6 points · 1 month ago

I’ve hated retail since Cataclysm and spent most of the past ~5 years playing Vanilla servers.

My impression of BFA so far is that the art style is fantastic and it’s much closer to traditional WoW aesthetics than any xpack in a long time. They also removed a lot of abilities so the gameplay is less bloated.

Mechanically it’s the same old shit. Classes are still homogenized and PvP gameplay is stale and not dynamic. Everyone has an interrupt, a CC, a self-heal, a stun, and a distance/gap close. It’s very dull.

I also fucking hate the questing with a passion. It’s very linear - it forces you to do the quests in a certain order - and half of them are mind-numbingly stupid mini-games.

Waiting to see what real endgame feels like before I decide whether or not to keep my subscription, but so far I’m not impressed. If they give max level players reasons to travel around & the world actually feels alive and dynamic, I’ll stick around. But if their attempt at reviving world PvP is just another lame daily quest hub where everyone avoids PvP unless they’re in a raid group, I’ll be cancelling for sure.

among the many other problems I believe retail has had for the last several expansions, one that always annoys me is transmog and the abundance of cool mounts.

At first both seem like awesome things. Look like anything you want? Cool. Lots of awesome mounts? Cool. But when everyone can look awesome with ease and everyone can have an awesome crazy looking mount then they lose their meaning completely. i.e. if everyone is special then no one is special.

I also don't like linear questing so that's pretty annoying if BFA is that way. Give me old-school questing where it feels like the questgivers have their own separate agendas and you can choose which you want to do, rather than the on-rails style whether you can't do any quests in the zone if you aren't following the main questline

I did break down and buy BFA (supporting blizzard these days feels shitty, I don't like rewarding them for inferior work compared to what theyre capable of, but hey), gonna give it a go in the next few days.

It's just a change of metas, like in fashion. Trendsetters made it look cool to have full sets of matching gear, so now they way to stick out is to not use transmog AT ALL. You'll start turning heads when you run around in mis-matched leveling gear and looking like a warrior in vanilla with all the different colors.

I totally get your point but the things is that the old style is questing is incompatible with the kind of stories Blizzard wants to tell. If you allowed the old style of questing in BfA zones for instance, you'd be able to do the quest to gain the boon of a Loa after you've done the quest wherein you actually needed the Loas help, and thus had to get his boon first. The actual story you'd experience would be super jumbled and messed up for 99% of players if it wasn't on rails. It's like doing the quest to kill Stalvan before you do the quest to actually find him.

That's also the reason the stories of any given zone are way grander though, and I honestly think you should just lean into that aspect and enjoy it. While I hate feeling on rails (and questing in general) the story in a zone is on a great enough scale, and interesting enough, that I actually felt motivated to complete it and see the end.

YMMV though as I'm a huge Troll fan and finally getting to Zandalar is literally something I have dreamed of.

I personally am enjoying BfA, the quests are fun, the zones are diverse, story is retconned to hell but enjoyable to follow. Dungeons are enjoyable, very fun encounters. Also World Quests are definitely a better alternative to dailies.

i was reading dungeons are just complete easy mode, true?

Yes and no. They added a lot of mechanics to trash mobs, so much so that trash is harder than the bosses. There is three difficulties out right now, normal, heroic and mythic.

Normal is pretty easy and just face roll through everything.

Heroic is a little bit more challenging but you just need to know mechanics of trash and partially the bosses.

Mythic is a lot more challenging. You need to know the all of the mechanics of trash and bosses, otherwise you probably will get 1 shotted. However this all might be due to everyone still being under geared. I remember doing legion mythic and thinking it was hard. 1 week later I was face rolling it. Similar thing in mythic+

3 points · 1 month ago

I wouldn't say it's a similar thing in M+ considering there's no end to how challenging they can be. If you were face rolling them then you should have been doing a higher keystone.

3 points · 1 month ago · edited 1 month ago

Sorry I should have clarified. I meant that M 1-4 were challenging at first, then became a face roll once I got better gear. Similar thing from 5-7.

As I pushed higher keystones it was hard at first but better gear made it easier. So not sure if it’s hard because I was undergeared or mechanics were difficult

Well if you are overgeared the encounter is bound to become easy

9 points · 1 month ago

Normals are sure, but they're supposed to be. Mechanics matter more in Heroics and Mythics are an actual challenge. And once Mythic+ unlocks there's an endless level of challenge there for you. WoW's never been better in terms of having challenging content for those that want to do it.

They're pretty easy on normal obviously, which is the intention, but I felt a noticeable bump in difficulty on heroic. Haven't had time to try mythic since I got the iLvl to get into groups though, so can't speak for that.

It seems there's a lot of focus on trash mob abilities this time, it feels like a deterrent to huge mass pulls which were super common in legion M+. Some mobs require interrupts or just have abilities that, when you have one or two of them are managable, but with a massive pull will ensure you waste time and wipe.

I did a heroic with a paladin tank who of course wanted to top DPS (why else roll a tank right? fucking moron) so he pulled as many mobs as he could even though he'd also pull 3-4 healers. Obviously getting 3-4 interrupts off regularly without a hitch is too much to ask of a randomly assembled group of 5 people so the pack was constantly healing and while we barely survived, it took us 5+ minutes to kill one pull because of that moron.

So heroics feel a lot less braindead than at the start of Legion. Back then when I reached heroics (also fairly soon after launch, not like months or weeks after) it was also ez breezy just-pull-eveything-in-sight mode. I'm very excited to try Mythics, not to mention M+.

not sure who downvoted you, but that sounds good. I know one thing that really put me off of retail is when it started devolving into an aoefest whatever you were doing. Just spam your aoe button until we get to the boss guys! Of course that's been going on for several expansions now, but yeah. Getting away from that is great

I’m trying to like it but I can’t. It’s literally like legion but worse with gcd changes and absence of artifact abilities/passives. Maybe there’s hope in 8.1, because blizzard has said that they are doing class changes but there is just so much to fix....

Yeah just hit 120 and it was pretty brutal. I hate how easy and mindnumbing the questing feels but hopefully the PvP will be decent.

5 points · 1 month ago

They can't it's legion with new skins and models

good joke LUL

Nothing says bringing back pvp as much as removing PvP servers

14 points · 1 month ago

Yeah, I mean it's not like having War Mode on puts you into zone instances with tons of other people with War Mode on... OH WAIT that's exactly what it does resulting in way more world pvp than there's been in ages.

Seriously don't read one thing and go "Oh that's terrible" without paying attention to all the changes. War Mode has been amazing.

As opposed to having all those people agree to PvP by picking a PvP server? It might be different right now, but once that fad is over I'm sure it'll be the same.

Only the hardcore pvpers who have min maxed their gameplay will still enjoy war mode, since they're the only one's having fun with it.

I'm having a shitton of fun with War mode and I'm as far from a PvPer as can get. With War Mode I don't encounter mass FP ganking like I did in Legion, I don't randomly die from a scaled up jump of Chain Lightning of some shit nearby. I have small limited skirmishes against ppl who willingly signed up for some PvP action and it's been a load of fun. I haven't enjoyed WPvP this much ever, I think.

Path of Exile, but I get burned out on it fairly quickly. When a new league starts I'll get two characters up to mid level maps then quit.

this is me pretty much lol. No idea how people keep the grind up. diablo 3 isn't too bad either but only really lasts two or three weeks before it loses its luster lol.

Damn 2-3 weeks lol, I can handle D3 for two nights and then I'm done for the next 6 months.

I've been playing some Diablo 2. Very nostalgic and fun.

6 points · 1 month ago

Phantasy Star Online, pretty much a stable community and economy, it's grindy but can be done in bite sizes if desired.

Are you talking about the PSO 2 or just PSO? If just normal PSO people still play that game in 2018?! I mean I know about private servers for that game don't get me wrong but that was over 10 years ago when I last played it. I remember hearing about some sort of hardware failure on schthack and old friends being pissed off but that was back in like 2014 and 2015. I thought the whole scene died when they died.

PSO has a really cool private server community with three different main servers. They all offer somethibg different and many people play on more than one server. Check out the subreddit, they are super nice.

3 points · 1 month ago

Just normal PSO! Theres three servers and a full community for each!

6 points · 1 month ago

Used to play WildStar and was good while it still lived, pretty much abandoned by everyone by now.

Path of Exile - so far can't find anything closely good with variety and ways to play, build system is even better than WoW talents ever been.

Played latest free week of ESO and enjoyed it, just still thinking whether to buy it or not.. maybe next time there is a free week I will decide.

Waiting to see what Em-8er will bring..

Man. Wildstar. It just makes me sad because it could have been so much more.

i play diablo2 when i need a change of pace between private servers

Old school Runescape. The mobile version adds a whole new dimension to the game (i.e you can grind at work)

Wait, is the mobile version out already? Ive been waiting for it for a while now

Yeah it's in beta right now

No other MMO. I used to play AQW, but since the devs don't care about that game anymore then I don't play that anymore. Elsword had extremely fun combat, but lost interest due to the small population.

Original Poster1 point · 1 month ago

man I love Artix entertainment. really one of my favorite game publishers. I hear they have a mobile game but I'm somewhat hesitant. I played a lot of Adventure Quest and the mobile game is just some random mmorpg with none of the mechanics from that. They have classes so there's no new spell, transformations, or pets/bodyguards. at least last I checked few months ago .. ):

AE has completely gone downhill. They only care about money and AQ3D was a complete waste of money and time.

Not much in the MMO department. I'm waiting on Pantheon, playing private servers to fill the void. Although I'm also waiting for Netherwing, so I really don't have an MMO to play

Ive been pretty stoked to play oldschool runescape lately especially now that its on mobile.

3 points · 1 month ago

Playing Final Fantasy 14. It is pretty great in most aspects apart from the pvp being terrible

I just started Project 1999, which is pretty cool so far. Super hardcore and lots to learn. Trying to not use the wiki and learn by playing is difficult.

5 points · 1 month ago · edited 1 month ago

Pvp is balls in almost all mmo’s so I tend to keep to wow.

I really like osrs pvp too, but the grind is too daunting to actually get into it but I do play for like an hr every now n then in f2p.

In general mmo’s today seem to overextend their design game, in turn making their product not that enjoyable.

5 points · 1 month ago

I've played some Guild Wars 2 and bought the war of thorns expac for insta max level, getting into the PvP is pretty fun but there are two version of PvP, you got the instanced stuff where everything is balanced, and then you got WvW where you're fighting other servers (I think idk it might just be random shuffle teams) and your gear affects your power. I havent done much WvW cause I don't know how to gear via PvP and I don't really like PvE in it, that usually means in WvW I'll get decimated by people who have the ascended gear. Instanced PvP if pretty fun tho, Necromancers and Thieves are the bane of my PvP existence as a Revenant. Also been playing a single player game called Kenshi, it's pretty lit.

Honestly the PvP in GW2 is some of the most satisfying skill based PvP. I didn’t think it would be but after investing a large amount of time into it, it’s pretty satisfying to outplay people in 1vx scenarios and it’s not too class dependent either, all of the classes can do it. WvW Roaming is my preference personally

3 points · 1 month ago

^ I’m seconding this, I think the PvP in GW2 is fantastic - really good if you’re in an active guild/playing with friends too.

I agree, although the statement that you get outgeared in WvW is quite exaggerated since the stat difference between the hard-to-get ascended gear and the easy-to-get exotic gear is about 5%... But the sPvP is indeed great

I'm still enjoying Rift, but I must admit I really don't put all that much time into it.

6 points · 1 month ago · edited 1 month ago

there's a good game somewhere underneath all the p2w and other bullshit they added to it over the last several years

You saying we should petition for “Classic Rift”? I’m down.

Didn't they just launch that somehow? Called Prime or something?

Looked this up a couple hours ago after I commented that. They had something called Rift Prime that they launched earlier this year. But I never heard of it until today and apparently is already dead.

Yeah I thought so, I recall there was a ton of criticism about it because it was pretty poorly handled.

conan exiles has alot of good and a little bad to go with it. but it scratches my rpg mmo itch.

can you call conan exiles rpg?it has zero story. I guess you can say that you play a role the same way you can play the role of pacman being chased by evil ghosts.

Theres quite a bit of story if you search out the eight bosses and puzzles, and lore. More then in any other in the survival genre that im aware of and rpgs have always meant stats, gear, farming, strategy id say it hits those boxs pretty well.

ye i feel that no survival game qualifiesto be called rpg. God of war and lara croft have puzzles also and some story on top of that, but they definitely are not rpgs.They are simply action games.

2 points · 1 month ago

Recently switched to dota from league, been having a lot of fun with that. BFA has also been fairly enjoyable so far, but not sure how long that will last.

I heard ESO is one of the better alternatives these days. Not much experience with it myself, though.

I play ESO a lot on PS4 now days

Indie games...short little 2-10 hour games that are absolutely amazing! But, man, if you are playing WoW what time do you have to invest in another MMO? Maybe Path of Exile on rotation or Diablo 3.

the only other MMO I ever liked was Asheron's Call and that was literally almost 20 years ago.

Private servers but also retail sometimes of these games:

Tibia

PSO

PSO2

BFA (testing it out for the pvp/mmo itch)

OSRS

Not much to scratch the pvp itch in mmos nowadays so I've gotten into fighting games as a result.

If your a fan of classic and burning crusade wow, wild star is a masterpiece. Still has very dedicated fan base.

I should try it again sometime. I really really hated the over-the-top "humor" / style they tried to do, I really didn't think it worked well at all.

But I guess it's worth looking past that if the gameplay is that good.

Agreed with that. It seemed like they were trying to attract a preteen crowd almost.

That is totally what put me off. It was ceaseless and from every single NPC/quest I encountered.

Dedicated in the sense that they stuck around even though the game is entirely dead. Wouldn’t recommend it to anyone in current state. Unfortunate because it wasn’t a bad game.

You can still find a guild and run end game raids, which are some of the coolest I've ever seen in any game. The action combat really gets your heart pounding in those boss fights.

4 points · 1 month ago

Yeah, that game is great. Best dungeons experience ever. It's sad, that because mistakes they've made in early, now they have prob smaller pop than some wow pservers ;/

2 points · 1 month ago · edited 1 month ago

I'm playing Wildstar. It is 100% free and not p2w. It's pretty fun. It has a small tight-knit community. The only part that is really dead is pvp. Queues don't pop often and are only during peak times.

2 points · 1 month ago

Rip what’s his face, phlowbie? Used to use his work setup to queue with his 50 alts and single handedly pop games so people could actually get their PvP stuff done.

I wish wildstar was bigger - it’s definitely the best MMO that no one plays.

I play overwatch when I’m tired of vanilla

Does Monster Hunter World count? Because I feel like Monster Hunter World counts..

Echo of Soul is honestly such a solid MMO that gets no love. It has its downsides but its not p2w from what I could tell. Cash shop only sells cosmetics, mounts, and a few services like talent resets and such but most if not all these items can be bought in the auction house. PvP is a tad bit awkward but pve is spot on. Each class has 2 specs with involving rotations. I'll probably go back once im burned out on bfa

DAOC/overwatch/classic

Runecape, PoE(sometimes). Played long time ago: Mu-Online(95/98), L2(Interlude-C6) good times

FFXIV, it keeps improving expansion after expansion.

Easily the best class design I've seen in an MMO in many years.

Just waiting desperately for Pantheon. Not playing anything at the moment, but will probably play on the new Gamer District server if I've made enough progress on my house renovations that I'm currently working on when it releases.

nothing atm, all current mmos are dog shit casual solo fests, if I'm gonna do that I might as well just chill and play some Warframe/Path of Exile (which I do)

Waiting for Crowfall / Pantheon: Rise of the Fallen / Ashes of Creation / Camelot Unchained / Star Citizen(lol)

... Why on earth would you play a BDO pserver? You can just buy the game on steam and play it without needing to pay a subscription.

Original Poster2 points · 1 month ago

increased rates, less bullshit features crippling players. furthermore I CLEARLY said I wasn't interested in that fee on a pserver. I simply just wanted to check it out. would be great server without the monthly sub p2w bullcrap

i buy a SWTOR 60 days gamecard every few months, costing usually 20-21 euros, totally worth it. Besides that i always play Planetside 2 when i am bored and right now i play 2 mobile games on an android emulator Marvel Strike Force and DC Unchained

I love planetside 2 when you actually have people to play with but without people its a literal cluster fuck. Still looks pretty in 2018 though goes to show you how far they really pushed the graphics in that game in 2012.

they realy did, some of the old devs went to Ashes of creation recently. Hoping it will be good.

For some reason BFA is really fun but might just be novelty of new expansion and new content / progression. Mythic dungeons are really fun actually - some are hard and some are easy. We actually have to use cc for trash again yay.

Additionally some mechanics are quite fun too, although it seems there is a shit ton of aoe damage right now so druids may shine at the moment.

Rogues, hunters and mages look top tier in 5 man's but shamans (enhancement) which is what I play can keep up or be just below.

I usually hate retail but I'd give it go tbh. The horde zones are sick too.

Which mythics do you consider to be the easy ones? I finally got to 320+ a few days ago so gonna start mythics when I have the time again.

Retail

Gran Skrea Online

World of Warcraft non-retail server lists and discussion

r/wowservers Rules
Too young/Too low comment karma
Duplicate threads
No hacks/exploits
Trolling/Griefing/Blatant bashing and insulting
No sharing of personal information
No drama