My local barcade received a new cabinet

1.7k points · 3 months ago

Played it, the borders make it really hard to see unfortunately. Major design flaw tbh

That’s the first thing I thought about it when I saw it. I mean, it looks nice but it’s horribly impractical.

Well, it's designed to rake in your money, sooo.

Unless that game had been properly licensed for this kind of public profit play, it'd be illegal to charge for it.

The simple existence of this cabinet as a derivative work is already breaking copyright law, not that an indie studio has the means of finding and suing everyone who ever makes a derivative work (or that it's even profitable.)

What makes you think it's unlicensed?

Lack of studio name stickers that every cabinet usually has says unlicensed to me.

Decades of expecting the worst from people paying off.

1 more reply

This is at CiderCade in Dallas. They also have a Donkey Kong II (a custom ROM hack, and it is fantastic). They specialize in this space of the unusual and impossible game, which is very cool. I'm sure that they filed whatever paperwork was necessary - they're advertising this game in their marketing materials.

He’s sure, guys.

Did you read that copyright lawyers... no need to visit CiderCade in Dallas... some rando guy on the internet is vouching for them.

24 more replies

That's a law I've never thought about.

1 more reply

We have a couple barcades in the area, everythings free to play as long as youre buying drinks.

Looking at the bottom of the cabinet there doesn't seem to do any coin insert or return slot. Just what looks to be a a start or reset button of some sort. Maybe they just love cuphead and want to share it with their patrons. I could be wrong but I'm gonna hope that's the case.

1 more reply

Well arcade bars I’ve been to, there’s a single cover charge and all the machines are free. So technically they aren’t charging for it. Maybe that’s a loop hole. Though they did have a N64 everdrive cartridge you could get from the front desk with every official N64 release on it. Not sure bout that one. It’s a grey area.

Not a grey area. It's illegal, but it is rarely enforced.

10 more replies

13 more replies

2 more replies

Yeah, that was my concern.... Fighting the cupcake lady, flower, and even the dragon just off the top of my head would be difficult, at best.

That and the devil seems a bit infatuated with the testicular region.

12 points · 3 months ago · edited 3 months ago

Cuphead in of itself would just melt through quarters, even without blocking the edges.

He's not grabbing your balls, he's reaching into your pockets.

Edit: Really what bothers me the most about its design is how massive the space between his horns and text are at the top right in comparison to the left side. Then again, it would still look unbalanced.

Ah shit now I can't unsee that.

There’s a similar issue in game with objects in the foreground blocking the screen. I’m fighting the devil rn and it’s incredibly annoying to take a hit because you’re in the corner of the screen and these pillars block your view.

I think that’s intentional to make it a bit harder. I remember the robot guy level in the junkyard had foreground stuff moving in Front of the screen.

The horsy race one is completely impossible to play.

I thought that too, but what if it’s their attempt to make sure some people lose so it earns more money?

It’s cuphead, it’s not if people lose its when.

They could have put in a right handed arcade stick, that will really throw people off, just like how switching to left handed ones did during the arcade boom.

Barcades tend to be free

Yeah, that was what I noticed. Some of the actual levels have borders that get in your way and it's really annoying. Not sure why they thought to add driven more to the sides.

Idk making the game harder is probably a good thing for the revenue. So maybe not quite a flaw

Super unfortunate, obviously the first thing anyone will notice who has played it. Hopefully they can easily swap out that piece with something less restrictive.

Would be cool if they could run it in the 21:9 mod, would show extra stuff and a lot of the covered things would end up in the extra area or black bars https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NK_fBIGImjY

Sounds like CupHead to me.

7 more replies

1.3k points · 3 months ago

That cabinet is so beautiful.

It's beautiful but does part of the screen get covered up with the cabinet art? I think I'm gonna twitch.

It’s a throwback to when graphics literally did surround the cabinet glass. This was to extend the game theme ‘into’ the game itself when graphics were limited.

Also the CRT tended to be quite a bit further back from the glass with surrounding graphics. So the art didn’t tend to obscure the screen in any way for a player with their head close to the game.

Cuphead’s game art is as good as the cabinet art so it doesn’t need it like those old games do, and with the display being much closer to the glass the art obscures the screen a little.

I see where they’re coming from with it but it’s a trade off in the wrong direction IMO.

It just needs to be sunken back a bit. This is put together like a Nintendo style cabinet with the glass right in yo face. The monitor's not meant to be right up there like that in this kind of cabinet--the control panel would be deeper. You should be looking at least six inches past that frame at the monitor and see the whole thing.

60 points · 3 months ago · edited 3 months ago

I assume that the perspective you have while standing in front of it is different than in this picture. That would be a very stupid oversight.

Edit: Well, goddamnit, all I had to do was read one more comment down to realize how wrong my assumption is.

That would be a very stupid oversight.

It's not stupid oversight. The design on that game does obscure your view on the periphery with lots of foreground art. Having those stickers protrude like that leaves the gameplay area well within the so-called "safe zone" in TV broadcasting terms.

Yes, and whoever designed it needs to be hit upside the head.

hit cupside the head.

FTFY

2 more replies

I mean the game does cover up some of the enemy abilities with some of their foreground art especially in the hilda berg fight

Except for the covered screen, yes it is

94 more replies

There’s a moneymaker right there.

More like a drunk rage punch through the screen. This is a gamers game. I honestly think they should have added "SippyCup" as an easy character for kids that like the art style. Yeah I like the challenge but they missed the "SippyCup" demographic for people just wanting to enjoy the art.

Comment deleted3 months ago(11 children)

I don't know why someone downvoted you, but you are right. The context here specifically is a standup arcade, and if people were to go back and play a lot of those games they would realize just how forgiving Cuphead is in comparison.

Yeah definitely. Arcade games are built to be unbeatable, in comparison most modern games are easy.

Yup, they were built to make money

1 more reply

A local barcade around me has some "vs. Nintendo" cabinets. Those are like the definition of "not fun."

1 point · 3 months ago · edited 3 months ago

Yeah. They have to be hard. Not just to milk people, but to so encourage turnover. The only time someone should monopolize a standing arcade game is when they're dominating and everyone's getting some entertainment out of it.

It's an art form. Sadly one that's lost its relevance in an era of mobile games and console/PC games. Hell, many arcade games are basically really nice console or PC ports now.

And most arcades, at least the chains, are about the tickets now...

Console or PC ports that you can get prizes out of in some cases

Only real gamers are allowed to play this game /s

1 more reply

Yeah. People here thinking arcade games are easy clearly never had frustrating, yet fun days at the pizzeria playing arcade games.

So many greasy, pepperoni filled afternoons of playing outrun and Mega Man the Power Battles. (Not the latter was particularly hard. I actually beat that one with a friend.)

Blue Wizard needs food!

Agreed. I skipped it because I knew I'd only see maybe 5% of the game.

There is an “easy mode” that is frankly not that bad. My 4YO beat a couple levels on it.

You can’t finish it on easy though.

Your kid has lead developer in their blood.

Don’t you put that pox on me! Don’t you dare put that pox on me!

I thought that when I bought it but I've made it to the last world. It's really not as bad as people say it is. If this game came out in the SNES era no one would be talking about its difficulty.

Easy mode isn't really that hard. If you rarely play games it might be a little hard, but its not too terribly bad. Normal mode turns up the difficulty though, and expert makes you want to rip your hair out.

As hard as it was for me (played entirely co-OP) it was the best fun/frustration I've ever experienced. It really is worth playing on normal just for the sense of satisfaction you get from beating it.

1 more reply

My 9 year old beat most of the game on the easy setting. I think you'd be fine.

That is a real good idea. I want to play that game. But I know I'll just get frustrated.

PLW Benson14 points · 3 months ago

You would, especially considering that you can't get to the final boss on simple difficulty

At $20 it was an insta-buy for me, I really like to support developers such as these, but, alas, I'm no gud. I haven't seen past the second world.

PLW Benson2 points · 3 months ago

I got to the third, and couldn't beat either of the first 2 bosses, I feel your pain.

I have so many games it's hard to just keep replaying one level of one game over and over. Though I did just get a Switch and many of the games are like this and I am "stuck" on more than half of my games.

It's definitely good to encourage devs to experiment with graphical styles

And price points. I'd bet they sold twice as many at $20 than they would have at $30

1 more reply

Don't be discouraged though, that frustration makes it so much more satisfying when you finally beat it :)

I don't consider myself that good, but a combination of learning to recognize the patterns and trying new strategies will let you succeed.

It's a fantastic experience, makes me sad to see someone not give it a try.

Fuck that, no one wants play Sippy Cup. Nahhhh just kidding. Brilliant idea.

That would be me.

Except its called Barcade.

ANOMALCHAN1 point · 3 months ago

i agree

1 more reply

Dallas? I think I saw Cidercade advertising that they had Cuphead.

Original Poster71 points · 3 months ago

Yep, it's Cidercade.

Was there two weeks ago playing it.

First place I thought of. Nice place

3 more replies

PsiliPharm11 points · 3 months ago

Yeah, I was thinking the same thing... If so, I will go check it out.

Dope i live in dallas, definitely will check it out and have some brews

Ciders*

Ah, the one run by Bishop's Cider?

That's the one

It's awesome, but the fact that I do not get a complete obstruction-free view of the screen is a deal breaker for me. I need to see every single cm of the game to be able to perform up to cuphead standards

DragonbornRito52 points · 3 months ago

My first thought as well. The design is freaking gorgeous. But I have a hard enough time playing it on my unobstructed 55" TV. I couldn't imagine losing that much real estate.

I noticed after a while the game actually obstructs view (and I don't know if it's intentionally, ) for example, when you fight the genie, notice how the trees basically take up the border of the screen in-game. They take up a tiny percentage of the screen and it adds up.

To add to that, the queen bee was AWFUL for me. Her backdrop made every projectile so much harder to see. 99% of my deaths came from just flat-out not seeing something.

6 more replies

maybe its a strategic decision to make you lose, and thus play more?

Pff, that’s because this versions is even more hardcore dude. Only master cup head players can play with an obstructed view

The border around the screen is hot garbage. Who thought it was a great idea to cover chunks of it up with art?

The guy that found out he could charge extra for his designs

DJpate11 points · 3 months ago

So there's an arcade version or a Xbox one in a arcade cabinet?

probably a pc playing the PC version, easier to set up for coin intake I gather

This one doesn’t take money, at Cidercade where this is at, they have a cover charge of $10 and all the games are set to free play so you can play this as long as you like!

Xbox29 points · 3 months ago

Holy!! What Barcade do you live near!? TX is in your username /u/CodsterTX. Texas??

I reside in New Haven and our Barcade is within walking distance from my Apartment.

I should see if my location has it!!

from OP’s comment it’s Cidercade in Dallas

Xbox8 points · 3 months ago

Awesome. Thanks for the heads up!!

They don’t, unless it’s been added since the 28th, I was just there for my birthday haha.

Our Barcade (and the official Barcade chain in general that covers the east coast down to Philly) almost exclusively carries retro stuff. The only exception I've ever noticed is 4 player pac man, and more recently the modern pinball machines. Also, howdy neighbor.

Not sure if it's been posted but it looks almost the same as one this guy posted awhile ago http://goedhartvoordieren.nl/?page=r/gaming/comments/8eg7pm/custom_cuphead_arcade_cabinet/

The design of that cabinet is terrible. Each panel is a completely unrelated scene that doesn't match the other panels. It could be soooooo much better.

Played this at Cidercade last Monday. You thought it was hard playing with a normal controller? Try these arcade controls. You’ll have a newfound respect for the original control method.

1 more reply

Haha what's next? A Dark souls cabinet? The only game I can think of that would be worse for drunk people to play.

That is really really cool! I would love to have that in my basement arcade, if I ever get a basement, or a house...

Still, looks like a cool weekend/month long project for me and my friends.

That is dope beyond measure.

That is absolute bullshit. Cost like 20 dollars to defeat 1 boss...

Original Poster56 points · 3 months ago

The establishment operates on a $10 admission fee, all the machines are set to free play.

Holy shit that's an incredible business model. How expensive are the drinks?

Original Poster15 points · 3 months ago

$6-$8 for pretty high ABV ciders

I like cider and video games. I am considering visiting Dallas for just this establishment.

Cidercade! I was just there Friday evening. Awesome place.

Oh man, we're getting a barcade here next month, and I really hope this is the model they follow!

4 more replies

Most arcade games were made intentionally difficult specifically so they would eat up quarters. Cuphead was kind of a throwback in regards to difficulty.

How is the game broken up for arcade play?

3 points · 3 months ago · edited 3 months ago

It’s not. This is just a PC playing the PC version. At Cidercade where this is at, they have it to where you pay a $10 entry fee and all the games are free to play as long as you like!

That works! The devs could pretty easily break the game up into it's boss battles and let people choose which one to play. Then make it a dollar per attempt at a level.

I'm quite certain that they've done this without permission from the developers.

That aught to be a great slam and then some.

Wow! Beautiful! Thanks for sharing, OP!

With a cheap PC, you could probably build one of those for less than a grand, minus all of the art on the cabinet, that seems like it was rather expensive.

I doubt that things legal. I hope they aren't charging people to play.

It’s s trap!

The borders of the screen are stupid.

Nice cabinet but I hope they didn't destroy a donkey Kong for it.

That thing is just gonna DEVOUR quarters.

It's certainly awesome, but I must say, the way this game is, even losing that tiny amount of screen real estate to those gray characters would seriously piss me off while playing.

Pretty awesome but the borders are obnoxious.

Fuuuuuuck philly barcade would be awesome if we had one

Where’s Steve Wiebe?

1 more reply

So are the coinslots purely decorations?

It would be kind of amazing if they wrote a little script that reset the game if you got a game over lol. That would be a lot of work I'm sure.

What does this have to do with XboxOne?

Wow I didn’t know I needed that

Is this a total custom piece? I wonder how much

So badass.

Not gonna lie.... that’s amazing

I want that.

That thing better have a change box like a treasure chest, because its going to eat quarters like a slotmachine.

Wonder how much coin this will set you back if you want one at home.

Is this barcade in a wormhole by chance?

Fuck i have a mamma jamma arcade usb board, it comes with a microswitch 8 way joystick, 12 slots for buttons or switches, and on the side theres slots for auto and turbo fire, its 20 bucks on amazon and all the stuff is arcade quality. For those intrested in buding a cabnit like dat, big plus........ its windows 10 ready so no joy to key or anything like that its just a generic usb controller.

Im building 2 for a game called StarCitizen cause i like tactile feed back and for a more realistic cockpit sim( just replace the push buttons for some sick ass led switchs)

Link cause I can't find it on Amazon

Theres othere that come with the stuff but i just made a trip to ye old Ax man( a weird tech dump ground store) and went to the old electronics dept they had a whole crap ton of toggkes switchs buttons etc....... and their really cheap( check switchs and stuff its second hand stuff)

Didn't realize this was a thing and a cheap thing at that. I now feel almost obligated to start a cockpit project of my own for FlightGear... or at least just set up a basic one of these on the desk so I can have dedicated controls for mixture/flaps/etc, and physical buttons for my avionics controls... damn

I went way overboard on thrustmaster stuff till i found this gift from god

Do want!

I’m still stuck on that goddamn dragon, but my niece is on Dr.kahls robot. This game is blissful torture.

Fishyy1 point · 3 months ago

yooooo

That’s gonna get destroyed in frustration very quickly

COD: AW1 point · 3 months ago

This is super cool. Wow, I didn’t know they were making these.

lockload1 point · 3 months ago

The return of a true money pit arcade game

Thats awesome

#teamchief1 point · 3 months ago

I love it but the bosses semi blocking the screen would be a deal breaker for me it keeps pulling my eye.

I’ve never been to a barcade but it sounds beautiful

1 point · 3 months ago

2 things.

The guys on the border are too monochrome.

The goys on the border are actually covering the screen.

Mine got that too. Gotta love Cobra

Well, there goes my savings

The Original Master Chef1 point · 3 months ago

That looks incredible, love it.

I wish we had a barcade around here.

Also didn’t know Cuphead had an arcade machine, awesome!

Looks like a PC system

Post this to /r/cade

Modern games usually aren't made with coins-for-credits in mind, but this cab has a coin door. Does anyone know, how it's set up? Do you pay for playtime instead of lives?

That is so cool looking.

Looks really nice but the standard American button lay out is so uncomfortable for your hands and wrist. When you lay your fingers out they arent all the same length so having the buttons layed out straight causes strain to the hand. The Japanese button lay out would have been the correct choice here.

Awesome cab. Weird speaker placement though.

The borders on that, while stylish, are covering WAY too much of the screen. This is more of an art piece than something meant for actual function, it seems.

Theres a punching bag next to it i hope?

Better keep that cabinet in a padded room.

1 point · 3 months ago

o wtf

1 point · 3 months ago

I want this in my house now. Stinks that it’s custom and not for sale anywhere.

Now I just need to be willing to part with $3k to build my own.

Oh thats awesome

I keep wanting to play this game! And then I realize that they don’t make a Mac version, and then I get sad.

That looks amazing except for the stuff blocking the screen. Why did you do that? It's already hard enough to see everything in Cuphead with the foreground in some levels, and now you've blocked more field of view? Not sure why.. extra challenge?

The cuphead and mughead on the bottom look like a shitty off brand.

I think the screen is recessed in the cabinet, so when you get up close to it you would see the entire screen.

I think.

I want it 🔥👌

Nice now i can spend a couple hundred bucks on finishing cuphead

I enjoy Cuphead even though I suck at it, but I can't imagine the average person having the patience to play it for long.

Because there wasn't enough capacity in my local bar to go broke and decide to kill myself.

I wonder if Round One will get these.

Adidas Ninja1 point · 3 months ago

/r/cade has the exact opposite reaction than most here. This looks like a butchered nintendo cab with flashy art and way too many buttons thrown on the CP. Not gettin' my quarters, ya see!!!!

Whoever designed this cabininet must never game. Half the screen is covered.

Awesome.

That’s a nice looking cabinet but the art looks like it’s in the way of the gameplay

Rotten Celery1 point · 3 months ago

This machine will break even. Players will pump quarter after quarter.. but then someone is going to break the stick or buttons. Rise and repeat.

Xbox1 point · 3 months ago

That screen will be smashed within a week. Guarantee it.

49 more replies

Gamers

Not Gaming

Everything and anything related to the Xbox One. News, reviews, previews, rumors, screenshots, videos and more!

Community Info

Want to stay up to date on everything XboxOne related and more? Visit the links below for all your XboxOne subreddit related info.

r/xboxone Rules
Rule 1. Follow reddiquette
Rule 2. Keep it civil and on topic
Rule 8: Self Promotion
Rule 9: Low Quality Posts/Repost
Rule 3/4/5/6/7/10
Xbox Game Release Dates

Warhammer 40000: Inquisitor Martyr (XB1)

August 22, 2018

F1 2018 (XB1)

August 23, 2018

Strange Brigade (XB1)

August 27, 2018

Pro Evolution Soccer 2019 (XB1)

August 27, 2018

Divinity: Original Sin 2 (XB1)

August 30, 2018

Naruto to Boruto: Shinobi Striker (XB1)

August 30, 2018

Destiny 2: Forsaken (XB1)

September 3, 2018