Reddit Feeds

Sign up and stay connected to your favorite communities.

ArchivedModerator of r/azerbaijan
Cultural Exchange

Merhaba and Welcome /r/Turkey to our cultural exchange thread!

Merhaba and Welcome r/Turkey!

Today, we are hosting a cultural exchange with our brother and neighbour r/Turkey. Turkish brothers and sisters, feel free to ask any questions or share experiences about Azerbaijan and the Azerbaijani way of life. You can do this either in English or Turkish. Flag flairs for Turkey are enabled so please use them to avoid confusion. If you'd like to stick around for more subscribe.

Azerbaijan users go to this thread to ask questions about Turkey and their way of life.

Enjoy!

Türk qardaşlarımızla fikir mübadiləsi edirik. Şərhlərdə suallara cavab verin və özünüzdə burda türklərə suallar verə bilərsiniz.

Edit: The exchange is over. The moderators of r/Azerbaijan want to thank everyone for participating, and r/Turkey moderator team for accepting our invitation. Hope you enjoyed it as much as we did. Teşekkürler.

-- r/Azerbaijan moderators

Turkey11 points·2 years ago

Merhaba

• Is Aliyev basically Azerbaijani Erdogan? How corrupt is he?

• Do you follow Turkish politics at all? If you do who would you vote for and why?

• What are some social and cultural influences of being a former USSR member on Azerbaijan?

5 points·2 years ago

Is Aliyev basically Azerbaijani Erdogan?

Unlike Edoghan, he is secular, in his own way though. Instead of doing Putin switch he just allowed himself to be reelected all the time. Also, our censorship is very different. In Turkey you even banned YouTube at some point. In Azerbaijan this is unthinkable. You can say and write whatever you want on internet, no one will censor it. However, if you are popular, you might have some problems. But even if they jail you, they want block what you've said or written.

How corrupt is he?

I don't know. That's a good question for r/Panama

To be honest, only when you have elections. I would vote for CHP.

Could you be more specific? I mean, I could right a book on this question alone.

Turkey3 points·2 years ago·edited 1 year ago

0.0640

What is this?

Azerbaijan1 point·2 years ago

Is Aliyev basically Azerbaijani Erdogan? How corrupt is he?

I don't know. Is Erdogan corrupt? Aliyev isn't, but some ministers are corrupt.

I don't follow Turkish politics.

Many people can speak russian and schools still teach russian. Bribery was common in everyday life, but situation improved and now people can do without bribing.

Comment deleted2 years ago
  1. Very correct. Most of Azerbaijan's population doesn't pray or care about Islam.

2. He is perceived as a hero. Many venues hold his name in Azerbaijan.

3. Ilham is a wise man with hard job. He's very thoughtful and sincere, which sets him apart from most other politicians.

3 points·2 years ago

Really? I know in Belarussia they keep electing the same guy over and over mostly democratically because he actually does bring stability. What about opposition activists like Ismayilova?

2 points·2 years ago

What about opposition activists like Ismayilova?

She wasn't an opposition activist. She was a radio host. A very good radio host. I miss her programs.

Azerbaijan3 points·2 years ago

our weak opposition leaders are so selfish they are ready to dirty country's image for their own purposes.

Ilham Aliyev isn't at all as portrayed by the western media.

What about opposition activists like Ismayilova?

The attempts to politicize the court's verdict about Ismayilova by some international organizations, officials of different countries, and a number of international human rights organizations are unacceptable.

She faced criminal charges for committing concrete criminal acts unrelated with her journalistic activities. During the trial the charges were fully proved and the adequate decision was made.

Blink twice if they are behind you.

Haha.. Seriously though she is charged for tax evasion.

Azerbaijan1 point·2 years ago

Recently more and more people are becoming atheists or deists. Azeris who call themselves muslim will drink alcohol and eat pork. They don't pray and don't fast on Ramazan. The only time Islam plays role is a burial ceremony and sunnet.

Non-religious and atheists are two different thing. Non-religious are those who has a religion but don't take their religion seriously. Atheists are those who has no religion. I would never say those who don't attend mosque are atheists.

Selam.

1. If I visit Azerbaijan what should I definitely not miss?

2. How does Azerbaijani view Russia and what do they think of our (Turkeys) momentary conflict with Russia?

Azerbaijan3 points·2 years ago

If I visit Azerbaijan what should I definitely not miss?

Places in Baku - Bulvar, Filarmoniya Bağı, Fevvareler meydani, Funiklyor, Iceri Sheher.

When Putin started bombing ISIS people were supporting Russia, but after F-16 incident people stop supporting.

5 points·2 years ago

If I visit Azerbaijan what should I definitely not miss?

Obvious places in Baku like the Boulevard, Icheri Sheher and Maiden Towers. I would highly recommend you both parts of the Taghiyev History Museum - the Azerbaijani History part and the part dedicated to Taghiyev himself.

The rest depends on where in Azerbaijan you wish to go besides Baku.

It depends. People who watch Russian TV and don't have Internet or don't use it as a source of information are on Russian side. The rest seem to be pro-Turkish.

Thanks for the answer. I'll save it for when I visit. A follow-up question. How far will I get with my turkey Turkish? From watching azerbaycan tv I have the impression that it should work out. I also know English and German.

1 point·2 years ago

It will be easier for people to understand you than the other way around. Most of people don't really speak like TV hosts, you know)

I feared that. :)

Turkey6 points·2 years ago

Yaxşı axşamlar, arqadaşlar!

Would you support any sort of union between Turkey and Azerbaijan?

7 points·2 years ago

Yes, if it includes other Turkic states as well. Otherwise it would be pointless like the Union State which no one cares about or it would simply make Azerbaijan a province of Turkey.

Turkey2 points·2 years ago

How would we counter the Russian-Iranian-Chinese spear of influence. There are many Turkic lands that are in control of other countrys ex Crimea, Kazan, Uigur lands. How can we undo the russian colonialisation of Central Asia?

5 points·2 years ago

Time and will. That's the way it worked in Azerbaijan and that's the way it seems to be working in Central Asia. Though it works there a bit slower. But still, you have to give them credit. When Kazakhstan became independent Kazakhs were in minority there. Now they are turning their alphabet to latin.

The only thing we can do is probably invest in these countries and fight for them if they need it. But I don't know many Turks (except for some Azerbaijanis) would be fighting for Ukraine for instance.

Turkey3 points·2 years ago

True brother.

Azerbaijan2 points·2 years ago

Turkey3 points·2 years ago

What is some good Azerbaijani music out there? Do you guys have any good indie rock, folk rock or even hip-hop? I'm just tired of hearing the same shitty pop music.

3 points·2 years ago

We have a nice dance pop singer who is getting popular now.

Here's his dance pop song. But I like his reggae songs even more. Like this one.

Wow, he's handsome.

1 point·2 years ago

Oh, and this one is the most well paid nowadays.

1 point·2 years ago

Yeah, he had a TV interview with a female interviewer and she was basically telling how handsome he is for the whole program)

I am not an Azerbaijani but this is awesome.

This channel has good hip hop songs. Old school Elshad Xose and Dayirman are the best.

3 points·2 years ago

Merhaba qardaşlarım.

What are the things you dislike about Turkey?

What are the things you like about Turkey? (Hard question)

Teşekkürler...

Meraba kardeşim.

What are the things you dislike about Turkey?

Acts of terrorism in Turkey, some people are conservative

What are the things you like about Turkey?

Everything.

3 points·2 years ago

What are the things you dislike about Turkey?

Some language aspects like apostrophes and that some of you think my language is a dialect.

You really swear a bit too much. That's what many of us dislike both about you and the Russians.

Oh, and don't get me stated on the way you make tea. It's a crime against culinary.

What are the things you like about Turkey?

Again, some language aspects, like the way you can write senin için like senin'çin which seems very cool. This is the only case where I think apostrophes are appropriate, I wish we had that. We actually do that in speech, but not in writing.

Then your cuisine. My fellow Azerbaijanis are going to kill me, but I like your baklava much more then our pakhlava. Turkish coffee is also great, especially with pistachio lokum. I miss it right now.

Visiting Istanbul was a great experience. You know, I travel a lot with my family and they frequently say things like "I would live here". I never understood it. I've been in Turkey before, but these were resort cities which are just the same everywhere. Istanbul was the first place where I said "I would live here". Seriously, you have wending machines filled with books!

There's much more of course, but these were the first things that came to my mind.

Do you guys have 'lan' in Azerbaycanca?

death stare O.o

1 point·2 years ago

Do you guys have 'lan' in Azerbaycanca?

Does 'lan' mean swear?

Nope.

Lan kelimesinin anlamını bu vidyodan öğrenebilirsin.

Educational part is - 0:52

1 point·2 years ago

Anlamadım.

Lan is the number one Turkish contribution to the world.

Learn it, love it. Maybe this'll explain it.

Ama sana katılıyorum. Çok küfür ediyoruz. Azerybaycanca küfürler nasıl? Çok mu değişik?

2 points·2 years ago

Azerybaycanca küfürler nasıl? Çok mu değişik?

Bazi ayni, bazi deyişik, bazi de rusçadan.

Hosbulduk gardaslar :D

What do you think about Sunni/Shia conflicts? Do you support Syria's Turkmens in fight against the Alewite regime in Syria? Do you support Shia militias, like Hezbollah etc.?

Something else:

Do you watch Turkish TV in Azerbaijan?

2 points·2 years ago

I just stopped caring about Sunni/Shia split. Especially, after I learned its history. I support Turkomans in both Syria an Iraq because of their ethnicity, not because of religion.

Do you watch Turkish TV in Azerbaijan?

I used to. Some of my relatives still do. I just don't watch a lot of TV anymore.

Is it something readily available or do you have to go out of your way to get Turkish TV via satellite?

2 points·2 years ago

Well... Yes and yes. You have to get a satellite or cable, but these are so common in Azerbaijan, that it's almost readily available.

Turkey2 points·2 years ago

Salam.

İkincisi, İran hakkındaki düşüncelerinizi merak ediyorum.

Saygılar

3 points·2 years ago

Salam. Tavsiye edebileceğiniz yerli/öz Azerbaycan filmleri var mı? Karabağ savaşını anlatan iyi filmler var mı (belgesel/documentary değil)?

Salam. Yol filimi Qarabağ müharibəsi yox, ondan sonraki hadisələrdən bəxs edir. Onu burda izləyə bilərsən. Qısametrajlıdır.

İkincisi, İran hakkındaki düşüncelerinizi merak ediyorum.

Çox mənfi. Ordaki Şah rejimi yığan bizimkilər idi, indi isə onlara öz dildə öyrənməyə imkan vermirlər.

Azerbaijan2 points·2 years ago

Tavsiye edebileceğiniz yerli/öz Azerbaycan filmleri var mı?

Yoxlama (2006). Serialdı, ama məsləhətdi. 1-ci seriya

Pərdə (2016). Ən yeni cəkilən filmdi.

Karabağ savaşını anlatan iyi filmler var mı (belgesel/documentary değil)?

Feryad. Film Qarabağ müharibəsinə həsr olunmuşdur. Baş qəhrəmanın prototipi var və burada təsvir olunan hadisələr real faktlara əsaslanır.

Ağ atlı oğlan. Romantik filmdə Qarabağın azadlığı uğrunda erməni qəsbkarlarına qarşı aparılan müharibədə yaşlılarla bərabər məktəbli oğlanın da qəhrəmanlıqla vuruşmasından söhbət gedir. Film tamaşaçıları fədakarlığa, vətənpərvərliyə çağırır.

O olmasin bu olsun adli bir film var, tavsiye ederim. ben cok begenmistim. gulmekten oldum. yuksek keyfiyette izlemeni tavsie ederim.

2 points·2 years ago

Are there any worthy causes in Azerbaijan that could use help, financially or support-wise? Organizations, and the like.

Comment deleted2 years ago
2 points·2 years ago

;)

Turkey1 point·2 years ago

Hello our Turkic Brothers, thanks for doing the exchange, let me ask a few questions,

1. What is the national dish or the most favorite dish of yours that is from Azerbaijani kitchen?

2. What are your opinions about the current ongoing conflict between Armenia and How do you think it will end?

3. Azerbaijan is a relatively young country, gaining its independence in 1991, although there must be a lot of historical and touristic sites, Can you name a few known and unknown gems of your country?

5 points·2 years ago

My favorite is Saj. It's just the best.

People are dying there regularly for as long as I remember myself. So, at least now their death is not senseless, as we got some lands back and some people even visited a village that they were forced to abandon 23 years ago.

Azerbaijan Democratic Republic was formed in 1918. So, not as young as Turkish Republic.

I think I already mentioned the Taghiyev Museum on this page. It doesn't seem that popular among tourists. Icheri Sheher seems to be an obvious one, but until recently I didn't realise ho big it is myself, I found places there where I've never been before and it was cool there (for instance there's a book cafe with books in Turkish and English).

What are your opinions about the current ongoing conflict between Armenia

Armenia attacks Azerbaijan, and after Azerbaijan gives a proper answer armenia plays its victim card and cries about being attacked.

You don't mess with people protecting their home.

How do you think it will end?

Azerbaijan will restore its territorial integrity.

Merhaba everybody!

Who would you refer to as ''the best neighbour'' out of Georgia,Iran and Russia(one country is missing for obvious reasons)?

1 point·2 years ago

Eh... Oh, I know! Kazakhstan!)

Selam arkadaşlar,

What's your opinion on Recep Tayyip Erdoğan?

2 points·2 years ago

Too religious, copies Putin's behavior. But in terms of economy, he seems too be a good manager.

Merhaba qardaşlar.
My questions are.

-How is ə pronounced ?
Like an e or a or ä ?

-is there still a big amount of russian influence in Azerbaycan?

-Do people in AZ call themselves Türk or Azeris?(i saw some people on the internet that called themselves azerbaijan turks )

-do young people care about religion and are the older people more conservative?

-Would you favor or oppose an unification of turkey and azerbaijan(and maybe other turkic nations) ?

I'm not Azerbaijani, but I can answer your first question: Ə represents the near-open front unrounded vowel [æ], like the letter A in the English word ‘cat’.

3 points·2 years ago

-How is ə pronounced ? Like an e or a or ä ?

We actually used to have ä instead of ə for a very short period in the 90s, but no one liked it. We usually explain it as a in apple, but they say that it sounds nothing like that. So, I'm not so sure.

is there still a big amount of russian influence in Azerbaycan?

In which aspects?

Azerbaijanis. Calling yourself Turk is lees common in general, but quite popular among nationalists.

do young people care about religion and are the older people more conservative?

I'm secular.

It's complicated. The way our old people are conservative is different from the way your old people are conservative.

Not maybe, but only with other Turkic nations.

Turkey1 point·2 years ago

şivenizle dalga geçtiğimizde kızmıyorsunuz dimi? :)

Merhaba arkadaslar

Iran Azerbaycani hakkinda dusuncelerinz ne? Sizce Karabag sorunu nasil cozulecek, savasa gidilecek mi? Rusya hakkinda dusunceleriniz nedir? Azerbaycan halki nasil bir halktir? Ne kadar muhafazakar dir? Azerbaycan'da Turk milliyetciligi ne kadar yaygin?

Saygılar

Azerbaijan4 points·2 years ago·edited 2 years ago

Iran Azerbaycani

Güney Azerbaycan (South Azerbaijan) to be precise.

Edit: spelling

Salam dostlar.

Alfabenizde Ə yerine E, E yerine Ë harfinden istifade edilseydi daha iyi olmaz mıydı? Olurdu bence:

“Her bir şexs irqinden, derisinin renginden, cinsinden, dilinden, dininden, siyasi ve diger eqidesinden, milli ve ya sosial menşeyinden, emlak, sosial mövqë ve diger veziyyetinden asılı olmayaraq bu Beyannamede ëlan olunmuş bütün hüquq ve azadlıqlara malik olmalıdır.

Bundan elave, hemin şexsin mensub olduğu ölkenin ve ya erazinin, hemin erazinin müsteqil, qeyyumluq altında olan, özüidareolunmayan ve ya suvërënliyi her hansı şekilde mehdudlaşmış olmasından asılı olmayaraq, siyası, hüquqi ve bëynelxalq statusundan asılı olaraq hëç bir ayrı-sëçkilik qoyulmamalıdır.”

2 points·2 years ago

Yox, olmaz. Ə hərfi bizim və başqa Türk halqların ( məsələn üçün, Kazan Tatarların ) rəmzidir. Ə hərfi danışığımızda mövcud olan səsi ifadə edir. Bu baxımdan, əsl lazımsız olan işarə sizni ' işarəsidir.

Ə hərfi dəyişmək təklif edənlərin isə başları xarabdır.

Tatarlarınki Kiril alfabesindeki Ә, yani başka harf. Latinde Ä kullanıyorlar:

“Min tatarça söyläşäm!

Kiläçäkne üzgärtäm!”

2 points·2 years ago

Bilirəm.

Azerbaijan1 point·2 years ago

Azerbaijan (Azərbaycan), also known as the "Land of Fire", is a country with a fascinating history and unique cultural heritage. Historically, the country has been both a Soviet Republic and a part of Persia. The country regained its independence from the Soviet Union in 1991, and modern Azerbaijan has emerged as a Western-looking, independent, secular state with a vibrant and diverse culture.

r/azerbaijan Rules

No personal attacks on other users
Submissions must be directly related to Azerbaijan
No editorialized titles for news and articles
Content must be in Azerbaijani, English or Turkish
No accusations of rules violations in comments